Do Thai Nationals Require A Passport To Travel Internally?

wellred

Hi all,

Do thai citizens need a passport to travel within Thailand? I might take a girl with me from bangkok to krabi, she said she doesn't have a passport. Do they have some other equivalent such an ID card that will suffice or is passport required?

Thanks,

She obviously misunderstood what you said. All she needs is her ID card, and every Thai over the age of 7 is now required to carry one.

The Thai word for id card is บัตร ประชาชน (baht-pra-cha-chon). Unless you are an extreme pedophile, she definitely has one.

She obviously misunderstood what you said. All she needs is her ID card, and every Thai over the age of 7 is now required to carry one.

The Thai word for id card is บัตร ประชาชน (baht-pra-cha-chon). Unless you are an extreme pedophile, she definitely has one.

Every child over 7 will be required to have an ID card, there being apparently a 6 month period in which to obtain it. However have you seen the queues of kids with their parents at the amphurs upcountry? Enough to put everyone off obtaining one.

The Thai word for id card is บัตร ประชาชน (baht-pra-cha-chon).

Perfect thanks this should make it easier to explain, hopefully. I just don't want to end up booking her flight and then realise she can't even go anywhere as she is lacking documentation/card ec.t..

:whistling:

I'm not saying that this IS the case, but there are some Thais living in Thailand who either were born outside of Thailand or whose parents were born outside of Thailand (i.e. Laos) and therefore do not have documentation (birth certificates) that allow them to get Thai I.D. cards.

:whistling:

Maybe her geography classes used old maps :rolleyes: .

Or if there is a language difficulty on both sides, maybe the word passport was mentioned somewhere in the conversation and she reacted specifically to this with 'i don't have a passport'.