Visa Run Crash

This topic should be closed as it serves no purpose, many of the posts border on slanderous speculation which is totally against forum rules.

This is not the UK so there is no point on comparing Thai standards with UK standards, Thai standards will always fall short, for one in the UK insurance would be the last consideration when medical treatment is required, whereas in Thailand it is the first consideration if you are not a Thai national.

Regardless of who is at fault for the accident yes accident, as long as it is under police investigation Julie would be well advised not to comment as any comment made could be used in the courts.

If you are stupid enough not to have insurance or you can not afford it, then its easy go home and come back when you can

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic should be closed as it serves no purpose, many of the posts border on slanderous speculation which is totally against forum rules.

This is not the UK so there is no point on comparing Thai standards with UK standards, Thai standards will always fall short, for one in the UK insurance would be the last consideration when medical treatment is required, whereas in Thailand it is the first consideration if you are not a Thai national.

Regardless of who is at fault for the accident yes accident, as long as it is under police investigation Julie would be well advised not to comment as any comment made could be used in the courts.

If you are stupid enough not to have insurance or you can not afford it, then its easy go home and come back when you can

Absolute load of rubbish

Nope I don't see anything slanderous here. If there was then the mods would have removed it. In fact posters are being very careful in what they post here in order to keep the thread open and allow as free a flow of correct information as possible.

As to the rest of your post..well...I think carmine has summed it up perfectly.

Nope I don't see anything slanderous here. If there was then the mods would have removed it. In fact posters are being very careful in what they post here in order to keep the thread open and allow as free a flow of correct information as possible.

As to the rest of your post..well...I think carmine has summed it up perfectly.

I steered clear of this one smokie but its just so irritating when someone comes on and writes stuff like that. People using legal terms when they don'y properly understand what they mean :rolleyes:

Secondly, is he/she suggesting that next time a buy a plane ticket its my responsibility to buy health insurance incase the plane crashes?

I am however well aware that if you live here there, for example no National Health Service therefore its highly advisable and responsible to get private health insurance but i cannot see how this can have any even remote bearing on a visa bus thats insured. :blink:

Edited by carmine

Not really up to individuals to pick & choose which topics suits them. Thaivisa is very aware of the conversation taking place & from the moderation side it does comply to forum rules, which we as Mods are very well aware of.

There has been no slanderous remarks being made.Members are concerned about certain aspects, if no answer is forthcoming, well it will lend itself to more discussion.

Discussion so far has been very civil & within guidlines, lets keep it this way.

Thank you.

Rooo on behalf of the moderating team.

Big C, Stiggy doesn't live on Koh Samui but on a small island north of Samui, so no, he's not the person you're thinking of in BKK Samui hospital.

I also don;'t think that he's insinuating that it's the fault of the people for buying tickets. As various other posters in different wording mentioned in this thread, you better make sure that you have insurance of your own before you rely on somebody else providing adequate coverage.

What I don't understand is the urge to use these mini bus services. I used to take the normal public bus to Hat Yai, leave around 8am in the morning from Nathon, arrive afternoon in Hat ya, take a mini bus to the border and a taxi back. Busy first day, have a night (or two) in Hat Yai and leasurely make your way back to Samui with the morning or afternoon public bus. A lot more relaxed and a lot less dangerous than mini buses.

Alternatively rent a car for a day and do the trip with 3 or 4 pax to cut down on costs. Just all imho.

As a bus/taxi driver in the UK this is without doubt a dangerous run i.e in the time scale it is done,never mind road conditions and so on,limbos is spot on in what he as said and though i am not saying speed has anything to do with the accident you have to be doing some motoring on to do it in the time.

As a driver i would do the above and i have said many times do it over a couple of days if not it MIGHT just cost you a lot more in time, cash, or worse your life,unless they are a number of different drivers but saying that they mind set well be the sooner they get back the better.

yes in the U.K. to drive a taxi you have to have inssurence which if you are young like about 25 years old which is very expensive and you have to pay every month.

so the worker has to work double time just to pay off his expenses.

Maybe out here it is easier to take short cuts over here. That does not really give an excuse to act on it.

i am not saying anything about the insurance though working double time is not right as far as i am aware,but the distanced covered in the short time is dangerous,and it has been said she was a police women in the uk and she should and will know this, so surly insurance is a must as it is just a matter of time something like this is going to happen

Talked to the Russian girl with the broken neck today, she is in a neck brace and will be wearing it for the next 3 months.

She feels very lucky to be alive and to have the full use of all her limbs.

I asked her about the insurance and if Julie had covered her expenses, she said that the insurance was only up to 18000Baht, which is not enough to pay for all her medical bills.

She does have her own insurance but is having big problems trying to get a payout with them and is resigned to the fact that she will not get any.

She does not remember getting hit by a truck but said she remembers very little of the accident.

Luckily for her she has many Russian friends here who are taking care of her and helping out financially.

As I said, she is very lucky to be alive.

Talked to the Russian girl with the broken neck today, she is in a neck brace and will be wearing it for the next 3 months.

She feels very lucky to be alive and to have the full use of all her limbs.

I asked her about the insurance and if Julie had covered her expenses, she said that the insurance was only up to 18000Baht, which is not enough to pay for all her medical bills.

She does have her own insurance but is having big problems trying to get a payout with them and is resigned to the fact that she will not get any.

She does not remember getting hit by a truck but said she remembers very little of the accident.

Luckily for her she has many Russian friends here who are taking care of her and helping out financially.

As I said, she is very lucky to be alive.

only 18,000 THB ? , and another person who cannot remember being hit by a truck.............

She does have a strong Russian accent, at first I thought she said 80,000Baht, I repeated the amount she said, she then definitely said 18000Baht.

I am as surprised as you guys are.

I have also spoken to her Russian friend who hurt his back in the crash, he also can not remember any truck, but they both have difficulty remembering anything about the accident so not sure how much you can take from this.

Not sure what to say or think here. THB 18,000 cover? A ridiculous amount. I am sure I read somewhere (possibly this thread?) that THB 50,000 was the level of cover? And this was linked to TAT in some way?:unsure:

The insurance cover should be for 500000 Baht.

Lets say 10x5x52x70=182000.

I'll let you work out how much it adds up multiplied by the number of years operating.

Yes....insurance is a hefty expense....whistling.gif

You are going to have to help me out with the thought process here.:lol:

10 people, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, paying THB 70 each? Yes, 182,000 is the answer ..... but erm ...... I don't understand.:unsure:

The standard third party cover with the tax covers 50000 a head but there is a limit of 10500 baht which will be paid without liability. This is what applies to motorbikes anyway. I would expect a transport vehicle to have higher....but who knows.

10 people, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, paying THB 70 each? Yes, 182,000 is the answer ..... but erm ...... I don't understand.:unsure:

Alright bullit, i'll help you out.

He's thought process relates to persons on the minibus, multiplied by number of weekly runs, multiplied by the number of weeks in the year. The 70 would relate to the baht cost per person per trip to insure someone for the 500,000 baht.

Never in my dreams did i think smokie would find himself on a higher intellectual plateau than another forum member. :D

Edited by carmine

Alright bullit, i'll help you out.

He's thought process relates to persons on the minibus, multiplied by number of weekly runs, multiplied by the number of weeks in the year. The 70 would relate to the baht cost per person per trip to insure someone for the 500,000 baht.

Never in my dreams did i think smokie would find himself on a higher intellectual plateau than another forum member. :D

I was going to calculate the amount of money the visa run company should gave paid over the last six or seven years in insurance but my head started to hurt.

That's not strictly true....in fact I started to feel quite sick......you might say a whole lot of conflicting emotions...none of them good. dry.gif

I fear you may be giving the lad too much credit ..... it is me he beat intellectually.:D

I thought that the THB 70 was the insurance premium. Honest. I was just testing.

Must admit it sounds reasonable, but then I don't know much about insurance. so where did this number come from? If correct, then visa run companies can have all their passengers insured for perhaps less than 4% of the purchase price of a ticket, which, for future business, would be a great selling point.

I fear you may be giving the lad too much credit ..... it is me he beat intellectually.:D

I thought that the THB 70 was the insurance premium. Honest. I was just testing.

Must admit it sounds reasonable, but then I don't know much about insurance. so where did this number come from? If correct, then visa run companies can have all their passengers insured for perhaps less than 4% of the purchase price of a ticket, which, for future business, would be a great selling point.

I wonder how much is the insurance premium when the maximum payout , for a broken neck for example, is 18000 Baht?

In addition I'm wondering how DavidJanes wife received full payment of her bills. Surely the total cost must have been more than this?

The steam just keeps on rising....

Hackett, on Yesterday, 10:34 , said:
Boo, on 2011-09-13 23:30:44, said:

ahh someone who actually knows something first hand, rather than some re hashed samui gossip hearsay.

Glad your wife is ok & hope she has no issues in future relating to her injuries. Best wishes

I am soory Boo but how is that more first hand than me for example talking to someone on the bus? Its not is it. Is that person telling the truth anymore than me/ Why is his post that backs uo Julie's visa run instantly more credible than other posts who are quoting from witnesses that state different? this really isn't adding up.

Finally to state that its like a Thaivisa lynch is total melodramatic rubbish. On the contrary this thread has been very reasonable throughout. the only bias shown would clearly be by your goodself.

I also note that unlike another instance you have blatently failed to draw refence to a new poster. Out of the blue here is a new poster totally contradicting what others on the bus have said to me and you immediately take that as valid!!!!!!! is that because that poster is saying what you want to hear? Why is that poster more valid than others that you simply don't seem to agree with.

I've edited because i'd like to say that i would greatly appreciate an answer to my questions and in particulat i'd like to know why this particular person quote that had such a fortunate ending to the incidence is instantantly truthful and more credible than other eyewitness accounts when it is clear for the world to see that this a a ONE POST member that has miraculously appeared out of nowhere.?

Over to you

Just re-read this whole thread & unless I am very much mistaken there has been no link to any newspaper to verify any of the claims being made re lack of insurance & whether a lorry hit the van or not so it is all hearsay, as already stated.

Thankfully I haven't had to do a visa run in over 8 years but I make sure my personal insurance is always up to date whenever I travel, too many nutters on the road. As to the questions you raise, why do you think you have a right to an answer? You aren't a judge on this case, although you have already acted like the jury.

I'm keeping an open mind & not jumping to conclusions. when the truth is out I will form my opinion.

Finally to state that its like a Thaivisa lynch is total melodramatic rubbish. On the contrary this thread has been very reasonable throughout. the only bias shown would clearly be by your goodself.

hahaha, considering I have just re-read the whole thread, including everything you have posted, this is greatly amusing to me.

You appear to have your finger on the pulse Boo...............any advice on an insurance company ?

She does have a strong Russian accent, at first I thought she said 80,000Baht, I repeated the amount she said, she then definitely said 18000Baht.

I have also spoken to her Russian friend who hurt his back in the crash, he also can not remember any truck, but they both have difficulty remembering anything about the accident so not sure how much you can take from this.

it amazes my why people haven't taken civil action for this. I am sure if there is a law stating that people must be fully inssured then now is the time to get th BIB to enforce it.

I know this is Thailand but there still are laws and should you find someone braking the law then you can go through the long process of trying to get justice.

I am sure in the U.K. If there was a company arranging tours and the company had a crash the the BIB would be straight on the case. Probably before they even reach out to the victims.

I am sure that the transport police would not be happy to see this sort of an inccodent in the U.K and would come down hard on the company :jap:

it amazes my why people haven't taken civil action for this. I am sure if there is a law stating that people must be fully inssured then now is the time to get th BIB to enforce it.

I know this is Thailand but there still are laws and should you find someone braking the law then you can go through the long process of trying to get justice.

I am sure in the U.K. If there was a company arranging tours and the company had a crash the the BIB would be straight on the case. Probably before they even reach out to the victims.

I am sure that the transport police would not be happy to see this sort of an inccodent in the U.K and would come down hard on the company :jap:

Who cares what the Boys in Blue in the UK would do, its not in the slightest bit relevant to this situation. The boys in brown will do what is best to line their pockets not to investigate or prosecute any infractions of the law.

The boys in brown will do what is best to line their pockets not to investigate or prosecute any infractions of the law.

Brown or blue...is there any difference in this case?

Its only a question of who pays or paid.

One thing is for sure...its the unfortunate victims of the crash who are largely footing the bill here while the visa company continues as if nothing happened at all.

Who cares what the Boys in Blue in the UK would do, its not in the slightest bit relevant to this situation. The boys in brown will do what is best to line their pockets not to investigate or prosecute any infractions of the law.

what u mean who cares? The boss is a UK citerzern ! and advertises herself as an ex British Transport police woman ! so my point is that had this happened in England then she would be rushing to arrest the company that was invloved. Seems a bit ignorant that she thinks she can come to Thailand and take short cuts in the law just because she can when she should know better.

Anyway like someone said. It doesnot really matter what the govement do. if i was a relative of a victim on the bus then i would be looking for a lawyer and outting some money down to take civil action.

I just hope that with an ex coppers experience that she might be 1 step ahead of the system and have all sides covered so she cannot be touched.

There again i curtainly shall not be using this company and i would advise people on what has happened and i know for a fact that other shall not use it.

i hope that these short cuts saved her money in the long term. should her business suffer from hear on then who is to blame !

In all honesty maybe a suttle statement saying that from now on all passengers are inssured and the ticket for the bus stating this.

What has been done is done> Either learn from an appernt mistake or just carry on like nothing has happened is even worse.

18,000 baht that is a joke. lucky the crash did not happen in koh samui and victims were taken to BBK hospital. the bill would just about cover nursing fee. and i doubt even that !

If someone has a broken neck but they are waiting for their own personal inssurence to cough up. then that says it all.

there again. just to be far. the person is just a poster. so the post has just as much crediblitly as the pro company posts !

The boys in brown will do what is best to line their pockets not to investigate or prosecute any infractions of the law.

Brown or blue...is there any difference in this case?

Its only a question of who pays or paid.

One thing is for sure...its the unfortunate victims of the crash who are largely footing the bill here while the visa company continues as if nothing happened at all.

yep if people are relying on their own inssurence company to fit the old bill then that says it all.

next visa run i do i want a receipt show i am covered and for how much or i just not go with them. Plenty more companies across the sea