• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 1

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

2. 64

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

3. 563

Frozen in time: British expats losing out on pensions in Thailand

4. 6

Unsafe at work: Thai experts sound the alarm on Mental Health Day

5. 53

Are Older Men in Thailand Trading Love for Financial Ruin

6. 51

Bangkok Suffers Severe Smog as PM2.5 Levels Soar Amidst Heat Wave

7. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

8. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

9. 1

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

10. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

11. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

12. 563

White Culture

13. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

14. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

Royal Garden

toenail

I am almost ashamed to admit that I used to occasionally go that Sizzlers. The main reason was their BLUE CHEESE salad dressing! I noticed that sometimes they played games with that and put it on the other side of the main garden salad display. The last time I went the flavor of the dressing had changed radically. You could hardly taste blue cheese anymore, it was more like pure Thai style salad cream. Oh well ...

I am almost ashamed to admit that I used to occasionally go that Sizzlers. The main reason was their BLUE CHEESE salad dressing! I noticed that sometimes they played games with that and put it on the other side of the main garden salad display. The last time I went the flavor of the dressing had changed radically. You could hardly taste blue cheese anymore, it was more like pure Thai style salad cream. Oh well ...

Try this! This recipe tastes really great, is easy to make, and all of the ingredients are inexpensive & easy to find around Pattaya. Bon apetite!

B)

Blue Cheese Dressing

Ingredients

• 2 ½- 4 ounces blue cheese
  • 1-2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons whole milk
  • 3 tablespoons sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (or use 5 TBS, if you don't have sour cream)
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper

• 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
  • 1 minced scallion (optional)
  • 1 pinch of celery seeds (optional)

Directions

1. In a small bowl, mix the milk with the vinegar; let sit for 15 minutes.
  2. In a bowl, mash the blue cheese and vinegar-milk mixture together with a fork until it looks like large-curd cottage cheese. Stir in the sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar, and garlic powder; mix well. Add the optional stuff, if using; mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If it's too thick, add a bit more milk and mix well. Chill in the fridge.

post-72929-0-34740600-1314522883_thumb.j

Thanks, but too much work.

My point was they have all these salad thingies there, and it's really rare to find blue cheese dressing at a budget place in Thailand. So that sold me on the place but clearly they went for the cost cutting plan instead.

Thanks, but too much work.

My point was they have all these salad thingies there, and it's really rare to find blue cheese dressing at a budget place in Thailand. So that sold me on the place but clearly they went for the cost cutting plan instead.

Too much work? If you like to cook, not at all. I think anyone who spends the 20 minutes needed to prepare this BC dressing is gonna love it... and much more than Sizzler's, too. Up to you, of course, krap.

B)

post-72929-0-82817700-1314525630_thumb.j

Edited by Michaelaway

I go to Sizzlers once or twice a month. I only ever have the salad bar/soup/dessert buffet, which I think is very good quality and very tasty, and good value at 179B.

Cant see what anyone could possibly say against it, except perhaps that the desserts lack imagination.

??? A lot of people like to "high brow" Sizzlers, but I cannot find another salad bar in town to match it (and the service is good). True, the main meals are not a top gastronomic delight- but most of us go there for the salad bar.

And then I'm going to cook up a big salad bar? Pleeeze!

I do like to cook but cooking that kind of thing isn't my style. I am sure someone reading this will appreciate it though.

not to forget the pleasure of shelling two dozen quail eggs :lol:

Can't beat the Salad Bar for value as a takeaway. 80 or 85 baht gets you 500 grammes and it goes up in some strange way above that. 120 baht gets you about a kilo of excellent salad.

You also get a free soup for your money and, if you are quick, fill the cup with pasta and sauce to microwave at home.

All in all one of the best quality and value take-aways avbl in Thailand.

I didn't know Sizzlers did salat-bar takeaway! 80 baht for half a kilo of blue cheese dressing sounds like a good deal! :lol:

Dunno about half a kilo, but you do get a yoghurt container sized tub to put the dreaaings in so you can take home quite a bit, and like the soup, it ain't included in the weight. Forgot to mention that.

The tray you get is about 10 x 5 inches and divvied up into about 6 sections. They also give you a plastic knife, fork spoon and paper napkin som you can munch yer salad on the beach. Your dressing might slosh around a bit if it ain't in the tub, however.

Ask for Salad Bar to Go at the reception and never join the queue..

Edited by Soi Sauce

I love getting 10 jelly's and mousse for afters as bad as watching the Thais trying to make a mountain salad on those small plates biggrin.gif

Also just getting a bowl of cheese for myself and making cheese and onion sandwiches to take home wink.gif 20 baht tip goes a long way sometimes!

I didn't know Sizzlers did salat-bar takeaway! 80 baht for half a kilo of blue cheese dressing sounds like a good deal! :lol:

Dunno about half a kilo, but you do get a yoghurt container sized tub to put the dreaaings in so you can take home quite a bit, and like the soup, it ain't included in the weight. Forgot to mention that.

The tray you get is about 10 x 5 inches and divvied up into about 6 sections. They also give you a plastic knife, fork spoon and paper napkin som you can munch yer salad on the beach. Your dressing might slosh around a bit if it ain't in the tub, however.

Ask for Salad Bar to Go at the reception and never join the queue..

Oh, so you can't just fill up the tray with blue cheese dressing?! :lol: Still, good tip, particularly for a day on the beach as you said. Surely beats the yuk they offer you there.

I love getting 10 jelly's and mousse for afters as bad as watching the Thais trying to make a mountain salad on those small plates biggrin.gif

Pizza Company's only-one-trip-to-the-salad-bar-rule have taught them to perfect the art of building up amazing constructions of salads.

Blue Cheese dressing for life!!!!!

Has anyone else noticed the downgrade of the blue cheese dressing at Royal Garden location? Was it my imagination? Maybe it was always that bad and I hallucinated that it was once pretty good? How is the blue cheese dressing (if they have it) at the Central mall location?

Has anyone else noticed the downgrade of the blue cheese dressing at Royal Garden location? Was it my imagination? Maybe it was always that bad and I hallucinated that it was once pretty good? How is the blue cheese dressing (if they have it) at the Central mall location?

I only go to Central now because 9 out of 10 times Royal Garden Sizzler would mess up my order, often forgetting my meal after they took it back the 2nd (sometimes 3rd) time to cook the steak properly.

Sadly, Central runs out of Blue Cheese more often than they should. Perhaps you have been stealing their Blue Cheese Jingthing?

How is the blue cheese dressing (if they have it) at the Central mall location?

They have it. It seems to be same as at the Royal Garden.

I had to moan at them to fill up the container last week. Oddly it is the only container that they don't seem to refill automatically.

I had to moan at them to fill up the container last week. Oddly it is the only container that they don't seem to refill automatically.

The mystery thickens. Perhaps the bad stuff I had the last time was a one off, or my taste buds changed ...

FWIW -- Royal Garden and Sizzler (as well as Pizza Company) are all owned by Bill Heinecke's Minor Group. So not sure about the rent factor.

The rent is a non-factor as the Minor Group owns the Royal Garden Mall itself as well as the adjoining Marriott Hotel (they have the franchise in Thailand I believe). Minor Group also owns most of the restos and smaller food outlets at the mall, e.g., Dairy Queen, Swensons, Pizza Co., Coffee Club, Cafe Uno, Benihanas, and possibly KFC and/or Burger King, and others. So basically, you can't eat or snack at the Garden without putting money into Bill's pocket.

I do know that Starbucks, Coffee Company, Au Bon Pain, and Micky D's are not Minor enterprises.

Edited by FarangBuddha

The rent is a non-factor as the Minor Group owns the Royal Garden Mall itself as well as the adjoining Marriott Hotel (they have the franchise in Thailand I believe). Minor Group also owns most of the restos and smaller food outlets at the mall, e.g., Dairy Queen, Swensons, Pizza Co., Coffee Club, Cafe Uno, Benihanas, and possibly KFC and/or Burger King, and others. So basically, you can't eat or snack at the Garden without putting money into Bill's pocket.

This I'm aware of. But in a corporation, the separate holdings are or may be in some respects treated as separate entities so the Mall gets it's money from its renters including the businesses in Minor Group.

The Malll isn't necessarily going to lose money to favor other Minor companies. )Obviously there are more people involved than just Bill and the money has to go other places too.

Edited by SteeleJoe

This I'm aware of. But in a corporation, the separate holdings are or may be in some respects treated as separate entities so the Mall gets it's money from its renters including the businesses in Minor Group.

The Malll isn't necessarily going to lose money to favor other Minor companies. )Obviously there are more people involved than just Bill and the money has to go other places too.

Seems to me it's just taking money and moving it from one pocket to another...but I'm not an accountant so what do I know. Forgot to mention that Minor also owns the Madam Tussaud's Wax Museum and other entertainments on the 3rd floor...so can't get the willies either without passing Bill's toll-booth.

Edited by FarangBuddha

"I noticed that Royal Garden Sizzlers moved up to the 3rd floor food court area. Rent too high on the main floor?"

Probably done to increase foot traffic on the 3rd floor food court. People will go there for a popular restaurant but may not bother if there are only unknown names up there.

Having at least one popular brand should encourage people to try the other places also, thus generally increasing turnover (which I think has been pretty dire in that place).

I walked through the food court today again for the first time in a few years. Yes, it was dead, and I found nothing to buy there worth my baht. Royal Garden would have been MUCH better off with a food court in the style of the ground floor Central one.

Edited by Jingthing

The mystery thickens. Perhaps the bad stuff I had the last time was a one off, or my taste buds changed ...

even though you cannot hear those voices, it doesn't mean they are not behind you....:ph34r: