Spa Fracorchamps On In 50 Mins

His inability to take responsibility once again is his egotistical downfall.. Man up Lewis!!

Insert comment here ______________________________ about the "stereotypes" of that last sentence in relation to his nationality :whistling: ..

http://news.bbc.co.u...ne/14701797.stm

Your continuing snide remarks about English people do a great disservice to your fellow countrymen, those of whom i know, would, i have no doubt, wish to disassociate themselves completely with such bigotry.

:clap2: How right you are.

Yes it is annoying at times, wonder why he hates us. :(

Read above posts, the answer is pretty obvious... I can't name all the reasons or use the applicable adjectives as the post would certainly be deleted and a suspension posed.. The post about Lewis is self explanatory..

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call him a cheater but he sure has been coddled with the rules and budget in the past and now he's finding it hard to adjust and have to make his own way but he has shown some flare recently. I know some here who will remain unmentioned (F1fanatic :whistling: ) will think I'm anti-Shumie just because I'm not blinded by fanaticism and have a grounded perspective but in reality I'm rooting for him to get back to some form and really have some well earned finishes maybe even wins. I disagree with those who say he's too old I just believe he's never had to face competition on this level a playing field before and it's an entirely new concept for him to grasp.. More power to him if he can grasp it this late it his career..

:lol: I don't think you're anti-Schumi and do realise I am v biased :lol:!

I am not convinced however that "he's never had to face competition on this level a playing field before". IIRC rules were changed during the dominance years to make Ferrari less dominant (yes, I accept that for a couple of those years the Ferrari was unbeatable!).

Haven't made up my mind yet on the level of other drivers previously. On one hand only Mika Hakkinen gave him a run for his money once the Ferrari stood any chance of winning the WCC/WDC (MS I think was already past his apex in 2006), but on the other hand perhaps he really was so good during his best years that he made other drivers look average?

Its hard to know. KR didn't really shine (IMO) when he took over at Ferrari, Alonso only had a chance (when both had competitive cars) for the last year before MS retired (an Schumi certainly didn't make it easy for him that year!), Hamilton shone in his first year but has since reminded me of Montoya..., which only leaves Vettel - who I think has only really started to show his true potential this year.

Apologies to Button fans, he's v good but rarely looks brilliant IMO.

But F1 that's my point he wasn't "so good" in "racing" as he is/was not a "racer" he is/was a driver who with perfect conditions in terms of equipment handed to him just merely had to "drive" the car without mistakes. It is very easy when you have a dominant car to go out and just drive without any pressure from other teams knowing you can drive 8 tenths when they have to drive, as Slater would say, "on the limit" every single lap and sometimes exceeding it and your equipment also has to perform to the same high standards of durability it tends to make other teams and drivers look "inferior" just because they can't invest or get preferential treatment the way Ferrari did...

Due to unlimited budgets of the time and the rules which allowed infinate numbers of tires, manufacturers of choice and a specifc tire compound that only Shumie was privy to, engine specific exotic fuel mixtures, unlimited engines and transmissions which allowed him to have one disposable engine for qualifying and then another engine for the race as well as transmissions, and even then the engines were not spec size like now either, unlimited testing during the season to make much needed upgrades and changes face it these are not insignificant changes they're massive ones and he is now having an entirely new learning curve having to race under these rules and with the quality of teams and drivers he now faces.. Seldom in past history (if ever, haven't looked it up) has there been the number of past and present Champions all competing at the same time which displays the parity in the rules as well as the level of talent..

Even his teammate Rubens which had inferior equipment to Shumie being as Shumie was the prime driver of the moment still gave Shumie all he could handle on several occasions and then also had to concede wins and positions to Shumie so the team could benefit from his Championships and stature.. It's irrefutable he now has a veeery steep learning curve at the twilight of his career and I'll be the first in line to laud his success if he can overcome it knowing first hand from personal experience how big a challenge he's facing.. He has to overcome new, less competitive equipment, team, and budget restrictions, new hungry young talent which are far more experienced at racing upon entry to F1 then the past and the inability to demand all things his way with equal tires, limited numbers, engine and transmission as well and even aero restrictions plus now he has been humbled and the decline of his performances even before he retired was due more to the rules changes then it was his age or lack of desire, they just ran in parallel and since he was having his dominant toys taken away he just threw his binky out of the pram as the Brits would say and walked away before the :hit-the-fan: ..

Not being with Ferrari any longer it can always be said that he didn't have the best equipment upon his return so his legacy can be maintained and if he can bring the current cars forward then his talent as both a racer and a driver will be lauded and rightfully so..

I assume you're being provocative for the fun of it - something I understand :lol:

Eh?? Provocative? Nope, realistic and explanatory.. Which part is supposed to be provocative?

Edited by WarpSpeed

His inability to take responsibility once again is his egotistical downfall.. Man up Lewis!!

Insert comment here ______________________________ about the "stereotypes" of that last sentence in relation to his nationality :whistling: ..

Your continuing snide remarks about English people do a great disservice to your fellow countrymen, those of whom i know, would, i have no doubt, wish to disassociate themselves completely with such bigotry.

Read above posts, the answer is pretty obvious... I can't name all the reasons or use the applicable adjectives as the post would certainly be deleted and a suspension posed.. The post about Lewis is self explanatory..

Perhaps you run down the Brits cos there are none of your countrymen up to the task in F1 at this time, but the Brits are. Just a thought. :)

Perhaps you run down the Brits cos there are none of your countrymen up to the task in F1 at this time, but the Brits are. Just a thought. :)

Geezz there's just no competing with wit like that :rolleyes: ..... Another poignant example of the same behavior and just imagine how it would come down on me if I made a similar comment and there you have the reasons for many Americans disdain, yes that's right in spite of your outward impressions by polite Americans not wanting to get bashed by hooligans most mirror my impressions privately..

Gawd help one if any disparaging comments be made in person about der motherland :whistling: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Geezz there's just no competing with wit like that :rolleyes: ..... Another poignant example of the same behavior and just imagine how it would come down on me if I made a similar comment and there you have the reasons for many Americans disdain, yes that's right in spite of your outward impressions by polite Americans not wanting to get bashed by hooligans most mirror my impressions privately..

Gawd help one if any disparaging comments be made in person about der motherland :whistling: .

But l have never read stuff from you on any motor post where you slag off yanks. Not just me that sees it. ;)

O.K.!! :lol::lol:

Schumi did NOT have the best car for all his WDCs, albeit one of the best.

ALL teams had the same opportunity for testing etc. and a couple had the same funding.

"a specifc tire compound that only Shumie was privy to" - first I've heard which also brings me to the point about Reubens - as far as I know he's never claimed his car/tyres were inferior to MS's.

As far as I can recall Reubens was only told to move over a couple of times and even without this, he was nowhere near winning the WDC!

Blah blah blah

Perhaps you run down the Brits cos there are none of your countrymen up to the task in F1 at this time, but the Brits are. Just a thought.

No certainly this is not slagging off Yanks? Another poignant example, denial and comprehension deficits..

Gawd help one if any disparaging comments be made in person about der motherland :whistling: ..

What you display is not disdain it is bigotry, and the Americans i have the pleasure to know, do not share your views, privately or otherwise.

ALL teams had the same opportunity for testing etc. and a couple had the same funding.

"a specifc tire compound that only Shumie was privy to" - first I've heard which also brings me to the point about Reubens - as far as I know he's never claimed his car/tyres were inferior to MS's.

As far as I can recall Reubens was only told to move over a couple of times and even without this, he was nowhere near winning the WDC!

NO team in F1 had equal funding nor corporate backing equal to Ferrari in those years!! Funding determines your testing regardless of what is allowed by rule.. Just because the same amount if testing is allowed doesn't mean you have the funds to test and have the equipment to make the changes to even warrant a test. Testing is what melds the driver with the machine and the team knowing what a driver needs and expects..

Shumie definitely had special exclusive compound tires from Bridgestone it was a very contentious issue and as well whenever a new compound was introduced for the series with Micheal being the official "competition partner" and test driver for Bridgestone who do you think ran the most miles on them? What do you expect a consumate team player like Rubens to say? Of course there was no difference! Your naivity is showing..

Rubens was on several occasions the runner up to Shumie in the Championship and were it not for team orders could have had at least 1 and possibly 2 of Shumies championships without the favorable treatment, Rubens is one of the most unheralded racers in F1 due merely to being the team mate to Shumie in his prime and the consummate team player..

Here ya go, don't just take my word for it..

Schumacher

Ah Michael, what to say, what to say? A competitor to the death, the 7-time champ has rewritten many record books and is truly an amazing driver but during his career his perchance to unscrupulous behavior to achieve goals has taken the edge off my admiration. When the little teaser of a Ferrari return last year got the juices flowing, he could not resist another stab at it.

As mentioned on previous podcasts, lots of excuses have been made about adapting to front tyres, 3 years out of the saddle (go tell that to Niki Lauda) etc. etc. But if you’re a 7-time world champ you should have figured it out by now.

So what’s the issue you say? Well, in writing about Nico Rosberg and comparing him to his father Keke, I remembered how much Keke struggled at McLaren and Prost shined due to the car not being a hang the back out and stand on the gas kind of ride. This effectively put the end to Keke’s F1 days, so I’m going to cut Michael a little more slack than I did on the podcast, but not much. I’m pretty sure Michael didn’t run on any of those Goodyear fat boy bias ply’s in his early years so I don’t think his style is so far apart he couldn’t adapt.

One theory I have is that the intensity he had to have, to push for that long, and achieve so much, once alleviated, is nearly impossible to regain, not the will, but the ability. He knows what it feels like, and knows it’s not there, and is still hoping one day it will all click back into place. Meanwhile, past also-ran’s are waving at the marshals to give him the blue flag and let them by. This must grate on his demeanor and lead to some of the erratic moves he’s made of late, although of course he did that before his retirement, so maybe that came back first. To get the most out of you and the car there needs to be rhythm, a connection, so you move as one, an extension of your limbs if you will. If it’s not there, neither is the speed, no matter how brave, experienced or talented you are.

Over those championship years Michael has got used to things all his own way, be it, set-up, design, teammates, orders, attention etc. Now he comes back, but even so his days are still numbered. By the time he could build a team around him like he did with Ferrari he’ll already be taking a pension. He knows it and more importantly so does the team. If Michael had come in guns a blazing and kicking some Nico arse then fair enough, the team is all behind him, and off we go to another championship boys! But he didn’t, so what’s a team to do? Who’s the future?

After a redesign to better suit Michael, we saw a slight change in the order but soon enough Nico is outpacing him again. This is not something Michael is used to, the team is at best 50 % Nico 50% Michael. He can no longer dictate the run of events, so he try’s harder, but unlike chopping down a tree, trying harder does not get you more speed; driving better does. Frustration leads to mistakes which lead to more frustration. Given more testing I think he could get a lot closer and actually get the team and car to be more competitive, but with the current rules he wasn’t able. If he sticks around next year I would expect him to be much better, but even so, testing is still hugely limited, so why would you steer the car towards his liking? I wouldn’t. So therefore his influence would be less and his gain less with it.

Not many drivers would be too excited about developing a car they cannot reap the rewards from, and with Michael it is all about his rewards isn’t it? I was hoping for a few bright spots to his season, a little flash of seasons past, but so far it seems not likely. It’s tough for a guy who was so used to competing and beating all-comers to struggle so mightily, but what does he do? Leave this season as his legacy that we all remember? Probably not, so expect another season, but not a different result.

The drivers seat

We see it very much the same way; I searched as much I'm going to about his favorable compound to provide some confirmation info but you'll just have to follow up on it yourself if you so choose as it was definitely a fact....

What you display is not disdain it is bigotry, and the Americans i have the pleasure to know, do not share your views, privately or otherwise.

Good for you grow up and go away...Your lack of maturity is glaring..

NO team in F1 had equal funding nor corporate backing equal to Ferrari in those years!! Funding determines your testing regardless of what is allowed by rule.. Just because the same amount if testing is allowed doesn't mean you have the funds to test and have the equipment to make the changes to even warrant a test. Testing is what melds the driver with the machine and the team knowing what a driver needs and expects..

Shumie definitely had special exclusive compound tires from Bridgestone it was a very contentious issue and as well whenever a new compound was introduced for the series with Micheal being the official "competition partner" and test driver for Bridgestone who do you think ran the most miles on them? What do you expect a consumate team player like Rubens to say? Of course there was no difference! Your naivity is showing..

Rubens was on several occasions the runner up to Shumie in the Championship and were it not for team orders could have had at least 1 and possibly 2 of Shumies championships without the favorable treatment, Rubens is one of the most unheralded racers in F1 due merely to being the team mate to Shumie in his prime and the consummate team player..

Here ya go, don't just take my word for it..

Schumacher

Ah Michael, what to say, what to say? A competitor to the death, the 7-time champ has rewritten many record books and is truly an amazing driver but during his career his perchance to unscrupulous behavior to achieve goals has taken the edge off my admiration. When the little teaser of a Ferrari return last year got the juices flowing, he could not resist another stab at it.

As mentioned on previous podcasts, lots of excuses have been made about adapting to front tyres, 3 years out of the saddle (go tell that to Niki Lauda) etc. etc. But if you’re a 7-time world champ you should have figured it out by now.

So what’s the issue you say? Well, in writing about Nico Rosberg and comparing him to his father Keke, I remembered how much Keke struggled at McLaren and Prost shined due to the car not being a hang the back out and stand on the gas kind of ride. This effectively put the end to Keke’s F1 days, so I’m going to cut Michael a little more slack than I did on the podcast, but not much. I’m pretty sure Michael didn’t run on any of those Goodyear fat boy bias ply’s in his early years so I don’t think his style is so far apart he couldn’t adapt.

One theory I have is that the intensity he had to have, to push for that long, and achieve so much, once alleviated, is nearly impossible to regain, not the will, but the ability. He knows what it feels like, and knows it’s not there, and is still hoping one day it will all click back into place. Meanwhile, past also-ran’s are waving at the marshals to give him the blue flag and let them by. This must grate on his demeanor and lead to some of the erratic moves he’s made of late, although of course he did that before his retirement, so maybe that came back first. To get the most out of you and the car there needs to be rhythm, a connection, so you move as one, an extension of your limbs if you will. If it’s not there, neither is the speed, no matter how brave, experienced or talented you are.

Over those championship years Michael has got used to things all his own way, be it, set-up, design, teammates, orders, attention etc. Now he comes back, but even so his days are still numbered. By the time he could build a team around him like he did with Ferrari he’ll already be taking a pension. He knows it and more importantly so does the team. If Michael had come in guns a blazing and kicking some Nico arse then fair enough, the team is all behind him, and off we go to another championship boys! But he didn’t, so what’s a team to do? Who’s the future?

After a redesign to better suit Michael, we saw a slight change in the order but soon enough Nico is outpacing him again. This is not something Michael is used to, the team is at best 50 % Nico 50% Michael. He can no longer dictate the run of events, so he try’s harder, but unlike chopping down a tree, trying harder does not get you more speed; driving better does. Frustration leads to mistakes which lead to more frustration. Given more testing I think he could get a lot closer and actually get the team and car to be more competitive, but with the current rules he wasn’t able. If he sticks around next year I would expect him to be much better, but even so, testing is still hugely limited, so why would you steer the car towards his liking? I wouldn’t. So therefore his influence would be less and his gain less with it.

Not many drivers would be too excited about developing a car they cannot reap the rewards from, and with Michael it is all about his rewards isn’t it? I was hoping for a few bright spots to his season, a little flash of seasons past, but so far it seems not likely. It’s tough for a guy who was so used to competing and beating all-comers to struggle so mightily, but what does he do? Leave this season as his legacy that we all remember? Probably not, so expect another season, but not a different result.

The drivers seat

We see it very much the same way; I searched as much I'm going to about his favorable compound to provide some confirmation info but you'll just have to follow up on it yourself if you so choose as it was definitely a fact....

I've always enjoyed your posts in the past, but this is not worth discussing.

You're right - Schumi had the best car in all his WDC years, exclusive tyres, a better Ferrari than Reubens (who would have won the WDCs during his time there if not for the foregoing and the way he always had to pull over to let MS past), only Shumi was allowed to test in the same way those years and no other teams could afford to test that way.

Have I forgotten anything that proves Schumi was nothing special?

Enjoying my posts is a shock to me. Sarcasm not withstanding sorry the truth and facts offend you so much, most fanatics don't like hearing the real facts behind why their idols are so successful, they're just blinded by the celebrity of it all fortunately I'm not that blinkered so I'm able to offer a realistic, wider evaluation and everyone is entitled to their own perspective and or denial how ever the case may be..

I'll say this much in all sincerity I'd love to have fans such as yourself... Your devotion is admirable and coveted by all competitors :) ..

JFYI You keep saying that Micheal was not so special?? Is it intentionally being obtuse that you read right past the sentences that give him credit for his talents if not that of being a true racer or is it just that you want to sideline the positive comments in favor of your interpretation of the negative ones?..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Enjoying my posts is a shock to me. Sarcasm not withstanding sorry the truth and facts offend you so much, most fanatics don't like hearing the real facts behind why their idols are so successful, they're just blinded by the celebrity of it all fortunately I'm not that blinkered so I'm able to offer a realistic, wider evaluation and everyone is entitled to their own perspective and or denial how ever the case may be..

I'll say this much in all sincerity I'd love to have fans such as yourself... Your devotion is admirable and coveted by all competitors :) ..

JFYI You keep saying that Micheal was not so special?? Is it intentionally being obtuse that you read right past the sentences that give him credit for his talents if not that of being a true racer or is it just that you want to sideline the positive comments in favor of your interpretation of the negative ones?..

I meant the comment genuinely - I was not being sarcastic, until my last post.

I also said in an earlier post that I hadn't thought you a Schumi hater and that I accept I am biased.

But, the arguments you are making are not good arguments.

I'm honestly not being 'funny', but are you on meds of some kind at the moment? You used to be far more reasonable.

I also said in an earlier post that I hadn't thought you a Schumi hater and that I accept I am biased.

I'm honestly not being 'funny', but are you on meds of some kind at the moment? You used to be far more reasonable.

Yep anti depressants, this place has me beat down.. As for reasonable? It's in the eye of the beholder at the moment of perspective..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yep anti depressants, this place has me beat down.. As for reasonable? It's in the eye of the beholder at the moment of perspective..

Think your on a looser this time Warps in the eye's of many.

As Riv and l say you always knock Brits, and on other stuff you say the yanks are the best drivers, but isn't it strange that the USA was created by European pioneers, and basically you could be of English stock. :)

As Riv and l say you always knock Brits, and on other stuff you say the yanks are the best drivers, but isn't it strange that the USA was created by European pioneers, and basically you could be of English stock. :)

I think its time to leave it alone.

What the <deleted> do you think I care about how I look in the eyes of ANY tossers on here :cheesy: ?? I am of English stock as much of the US is though the inbreeding has been bred out by now and it's often forgotten that the US broke off from England for several very poignant reasons...Although many of those qualities you find so irritating or disdainful in me maybe due to the reflection you see of yourselves..

JFYI That post you quoted is completely tongue in cheek and laced with sarcasm I thought you Brits were supposed to be so good at?? :cheesy:

But hooligans aren't known for their sensible judgment.

Edited by WarpSpeed

But hooligans aren't known for their sensible judgment.

Think your medication is wearing off Warps. Hope you have a better day tomorrow. :(

Glad my invite in F1 forum is a success,the more exposed to Warpy"s World the better :lol: .

Yeah !! sure will be great for the Motor forum when a Thai car enter's F1 it will be Thai related then. :D :jap:

Can't we get back to auto is better than manual and gas in tyres you guys whoops sorry tires.:lol:

There is a topic in the sports foeums, and why was that well known cheater Schumi allowed to race? He didn't set a time. If they hadn't waived the 107% rule would he have raced?

Your right matey it's already a yearly topic started on Community Forums " Sports, Hobbies, activities ".

You guys would like discussion there, me not a F1 car fan but nearly all my life a Grand Prix motorcycle racing fan of MotoGP.

The F1 guys like and respect MotoGP as the level of skill required is more demanding.

MotoGP is there and discussed too.

Not sure the "level of skill required" is greater, but there's certainly more going on from minute to minute.

Doesn't take a lot of working out, being on 4 wheels or being on 2.:D

Having driven powerful cars and powerful motorbikes I assure you a greater skill is required.

Don't have to believe me, even Schumi as you lot refer him as would concur.

Edited by Kwasaki

There is a topic in the sports foeums, and why was that well known cheater Schumi allowed to race? He didn't set a time. If they hadn't waived the 107% rule would he have raced?

Your right matey it's already a yearly topic started on Community Forums " Sports, Hobbies, activities ".

You guys would like discussion there, me not a F1 car fan but nearly all my life a Grand Prix motorcycle racing fan of MotoGP.

The F1 guys like and respect MotoGP as the level of skill required is more demanding.

MotoGP is there and discussed too.

Not sure the "level of skill required" is greater, but there's certainly more going on from minute to minute.

Having driven powerful cars and powerful motorbikes I assure you a greater skill is required.

I concur that the bike thing is far more milli- second skilful than 4 wheel stuff. :)

I concur that the bike thing is far more milli- second skilful than 4 wheel stuff. :)

Thirded.

Thirded.

Quadrupled (?) - except bikes are also easier to manoeuvre than F1 cars. Riding bikes, it is far easier to respond and see what is going on around you. That is why on a 'minute to minute' basis motogp is more interesting.

Plus, of course, they don't have the 'bad airflow' from the car ahead to deal with.

I'm sure a previous poster is right that Schumi understands and loves the difficulties of riding 'bikes. Can't remember him ever saying though that it required more skill than driving an F1 car in a race.

I'm sure a previous poster is right that Schumi understands and loves the difficulties of riding 'bikes. Can't remember him ever saying though that it required more skill than driving an F1 car in a race.

Perhaps it is unrealistic to expect him to express such an opinion when to do so is to undermine his own achievements.

Perhaps it is unrealistic to expect him to express such an opinion when to do so is to undermine his own achievements.

Hi Rivalex, whatever happened to the F1 forum?

Anyway, I've explained my reasons for thinking motogp is no more 'skillful' - albeit a lot more exciting from minute to minute.

Hi Rivalex, whatever happened to the F1 forum?

Hi F1. Not sure, people seemed to lose interest. I think such a discussion requires a few more than a handful of people to keep it going. Perhaps a dedicated F1 forum is a better place to share one's views?