Oil Fund Levy Cut Will Mean Long Term Pain: Thai Opinion

webfact

Would somebody please explain the difference with all these different fuels?

I have no idea what is the difference with gasoline and gasohol, 91 and 95, B5 Diesel and standard diesel etc....

I usually use the same filling station and know its 91 in the motorbike and B5 Diesel in the pickup - but when at a different gas station it would be nice to understand what the differences are.

Back home it was easy: Leaded or unleaded or diesel.

Basically the rule of thumb is to use the fuel in you car or bike for which it is designed to accept, this is usually found in the handbook or on many cars there is a sticker on the inside of the fuel filler cap.

Gasoline 91 and 95 is petrol as you must know the 91 and 95 is a octane rating in RON for both types of fuels.

Gasohol 91 and 95 i.e.( E10 ) is a fuel mixture of 10% anhydrous ethanol and 90% gasoline and Ron rate is the same.

There's also gasohol E20 which can be used on most new petrol cars these days.

It is recommended that in motorbikes you should not use gasohol unless the motorbikes handbook obviously said it can be used.

Some motorbikes are supposed to be Shell Gasohol 95 compatible but its reliability unknown, maybe some fuel injection models maybe but certainly not carburettor models.

B5 Bio-diesel has different solvent properties than petro-diesel, it will degrade natural rubber gaskets, hoses in vehicles mostly manufactured before 1992. Although these components tend to wear out naturally and most likely will have already been replaced with FKM, which is nonreactive to bio-diesel.

Also note that bio-diesel has been known to break down deposits of residue in the fuel lines where petro-diesel has been used.

Personally I would never use or have used it in any diesel vehicle of mine.

That my take and understanding on it, hope it helps you.:)

The problem is that the anhydrous ethanol doesn't stay anhydrous, absorbing moisture from the atmosphere. 1 Local bike shop cleaning 2-3 carbies/day on gasahol bikes, and it is the poorer people who can't afford a complete fill getting it the worst.

I am involved with biodiesel and what we are producing Bio-oil from is non edible plants. It is very promising so I don't agree that biodiesel is the evil oil that some suggest. If you want to talk about farming that produces more food try not supporting the mass beef industry that devours a lot of farmland to feed cow's which most everyone eats without regard to land that produces food for human consuption. There are so many alternatives to energy besides fossil fuel. By the way I love my Fortuna which uses my biodiesel product which until the Pardon Thaskin Party got in had great promise to go public. One can see all the petrol stations full of customers now. Oh one more thing with this bio- product you do not need to modify the engine in anyway.

I am involved with biodiesel and what we are producing Bio-oil from is non edible plants. It is very promising so I don't agree that biodiesel is the evil oil that some suggest. If you want to talk about farming that produces more food try not supporting the mass beef industry that devours a lot of farmland to feed cow's which most everyone eats without regard to land that produces food for human consuption. There are so many alternatives to energy besides fossil fuel. By the way I love my Fortuna which uses my biodiesel product which until the Pardon Thaskin Party got in had great promise to go public. One can see all the petrol stations full of customers now. Oh one more thing with this bio- product you do not need to modify the engine in anyway.

Hi MILT, the problem with biodiesel is that it tends to clog the injectors on a lot of modern turbo diesel's. They just stop. Happened to my new Hyundai. Its also very important to use the fuel your car/truck company recommends.

If you compare the colour of the two, the biodiesel looks as though you could still cook your chips in. Speak to a few mechanics.

I have also been watching the share price of Biodiesel companies both in OZ and the US for the last 5 years. You wont make a lot of money with these shares, not a great deal of interest in these markets.

The other problem in the production is that the amount of grain per hectare/acre is competing against the cost of production for livestock feed. Even if you are using a non-commercial grain, the cost of its production against a commercial crop was grown in its place may offer a better $ yield over the biofuel grain.

At the moment more investment needs to go into bio-fuels to make them work with most modern engines and the injectors/carbie's. Investment in production is also still going on.

Biofuels have there place but in the context of the article, the writer has taken a swipe rather than having sound knowledge on facts.

It is an exciting concept, but many major car companies are tending to go towards smaller engines, development of diesel engines, electric motor combinations, and LPG.

I have no idea what is the difference with gasoline and gasohol, 91 and 95, B5 Diesel and standard diesel etc....

I usually use the same filling station and know its 91 in the motorbike and B5 Diesel in the pickup - but when at a different gas station it would be nice to understand what the differences are.

Basically the rule of thumb is to use the fuel in you car or bike for which it is designed to accept, this is usually found in the handbook or on many cars there is a sticker on the inside of the fuel filler cap.

Gasoline 91 and 95 is petrol as you must know the 91 and 95 is a octane rating in RON for both types of fuels.

Gasohol 91 and 95 i.e.( E10 ) is a fuel mixture of 10% anhydrous ethanol and 90% gasoline and Ron rate is the same.

It is recommended that in motorbikes you should not use gasohol unless the motorbikes handbook obviously said it can be used.

Some motorbikes are supposed to be Shell Gasohol 95 compatible but its reliability unknown, maybe some fuel injection models maybe but certainly not carburettor models.

B5 Bio-diesel has different solvent properties than petro-diesel, it will degrade natural rubber gaskets, hoses in vehicles mostly manufactured before 1992. Although these components tend to wear out naturally and most likely will have already been replaced with FKM, which is nonreactive to bio-diesel.

Also note that bio-diesel has been known to break down deposits of residue in the fuel lines where petro-diesel has been used.

The problem is that the anhydrous ethanol doesn't stay anhydrous, absorbing moisture from the atmosphere. 1 Local bike shop cleaning 2-3 carbies/day on gasahol bikes, and it is the poorer people who can't afford a complete fill getting it the worst.

I have always thought it best policy to take advice from those who know better than me, so - is it general good advice that I should NOT be using B5 Diesel in my truck ? I usually drive alone and its the easiest pump to spot in the filling station - the B5 sign above it, and the other pumps have a bewildering choice which (as seen from my original question) I do not fully understand (as I guess many other readers don't)

I always fill my Honda Wave with 91 at the filling station also - but I have no idea if this is gasoline or gasohol ( I just know its the cheapest stuff) and all the other motorbikes in front of me fill up with it too. I have done 20,000km so far using 91 (whatever) with nothing more than regular oil changes.

I would pay the 2 or 3 baht extra per litre if I thought my vehicles might last longer.

I have always thought it best policy to take advice from those who know better than me, so - is it general good advice that I should NOT be using B5 Diesel in my truck ? I usually drive alone and its the easiest pump to spot in the filling station - the B5 sign above it, and the other pumps have a bewildering choice which (as seen from my original question) I do not fully understand (as I guess many other readers don't)

I always fill my Honda Wave with 91 at the filling station also - but I have no idea if this is gasoline or gasohol ( I just know its the cheapest stuff) and all the other motorbikes in front of me fill up with it too. I have done 20,000km so far using 91 (whatever) with nothing more than regular oil changes.

I would pay the 2 or 3 baht extra per litre if I thought my vehicles might last longer.

I hav e about 10 carby-model bikes and use 91 petrol in preference to gasohol. But if you're not having problems, why change? I do recommend complete fills though.

I have always thought it best policy to take advice from those who know better than me, so - is it general good advice that I should NOT be using B5 Diesel in my truck ? I usually drive alone and its the easiest pump to spot in the filling station - the B5 sign above it,

Seemingly you haven't filled up the car much lately,since B5 hasn't been available anymore for the past 6 months or so.

[quote name='Kwasaki' timestamp='1314613975' post='4658996'

Apologies maybe I didn't explain enough.

Certainly I would not lead anyone astray and a lot of this information is from learned people in the motor trade.

Basic information is that different fuel stations use different brand names to market various fuels, and it's often difficult to tell which is what.

That is why the fuels are displayed in following the colours:-

Regular 91 gasoline has 91 on RED sign. ( to use in motorbikes and generally cars older than 2005 unless stated otherwise in manual ).

Regular 95 gasoline has 95 on yellow sign. ( can be use in large motorcycles but not much benefit and sometimes used in high performance cars)

Gasohol 91 has 91 on green sign. ( can be used in many cars from 2007-2008 on-wards unless otherwise stated in manual ).

Gasohol 95 has 95 on orange sign. ( can use in high performance cars unless etc.)

B5 bio-diesel if the vehicle manual or manufacturer states you can use it OK !! Most new vehicles are built today to take these different fuels and arguments on whether they have an effect on the vehicles will only come out in time, on some vehicles it has cause a breakdown quickly, the same goes for putting gasohol in bikes.

With bio fuels it is whether or not the vehicle has been fitted with FKM or ( FFMK ) high quality ' o ' rings and gaskets which have a excellent resistance to high temperatures and chemicals.

When it comes to the many internal metal parts the affected could go either way, again depending on there type and quality used.

I've done 52,000 km on my carburated Honda Click of 4+ years old, and just now had to do a carburator clean-up. Total cost 500 Baht for new gaskets, seals and whatever including labor...considering i burned about 1500 liters of gasohol not too bad methinks.

I have always thought it best policy to take advice from those who know better than me, so - is it general good advice that I should NOT be using B5 Diesel in my truck ? I usually drive alone and its the easiest pump to spot in the filling station - the B5 sign above it,

Seemingly you haven't filled up the car much lately,since B5 hasn't been available anymore for the past 6 months or so.

I filled up at my local Shell station in Phuket just last month. At the pump - I asked for B5 - 1000 baht and was directed to the pump behind and as far as I am aware I was served B5. (The pump handle was blue - as always) but obviously I cannot say what they actually put in my tank.

Shell do their own brand premium diesel I believe (cleans your engine and all that crap) but is pretty expensive - and as I have never had a problem with B5 - thats what I wanted and assume (rightly or wrongly - thats what I got)?