Uk Passports Now Being Sent Directly From United Kingdom

theoldgit

Well I have received a reply from the IPS, I asked them why is it that passports produced in the UK and sent overseas cost up to 60% more than the same passports posted within the UK. I also asked that when the on-line applications start next year, removing the need for for Regional Passport Centres. could they confirm that the cost of the passport cost would be the same, excluding delivery.

I advised them that as an ex-Civil Servant I am used to drafting generic responses for MP's, Ministers and the general public, so could they give me a meaningful answer.

Dear theoldgit,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Identity and Passport Service are unable to advise you on overseas applications as they are not dealt with here.

If you wish to renew or apply for a UK passport whilst overseas, or you have any queries relating to making your application, you will need to contact your nearest British Embassy.

In order to locate your nearest Embassy you can contact the Foreign Office. The website address is http://www.fco.gov.uk.

Thank you.

Customer service e-mail team

You have to love 'em

That's just bizarre.

I had another issue when I got my new passport a few weeks ago. The passport was late in coming back to me and my visa was not far from expiring, I needed to know what was happening. I was given a 'helpline' number to call so I called it.

It turned out that I would have to pay using a CC for the call blink.gif. I found that quite cheeky but I needed to know where my passport was so I entered my details. It turned out they could not accept my card, something to do with my card not suitable for overseas payments. So I was left with a passport out in the blue yonder with no idea of it's whereabouts and no way of finding out where it was in spite of me having a person with access to those details on the phone. One was not amused.

I ended up having to call the HK embassy and after some initial resistance, somebody thankfully saw common sense and helped me out.

so yes I would be peeved about 50quid, considering if I was in the UK a new passport would cost 77.50GBP.

I'd be peeved if it was 50p.

Me too! I come from Yorkshire!!

You know - like a Scot but without that streak of generosity.

My new little book from HK (with UNDER the number of promised useable pages) cost just short of 8,000b plus of course another 1,000 (almost) to DHL.

Out-and-back took only 14 days, which was good, but it must still be one of the most expensive in the world.

Thais pay just over 1,000b for theirs, I am told.

As mine was one of the last from HK, issued on August 8th, is it a collector's item?

Anyone want to bid?

Very low mileage, just one careful keeper, almost unmarked...........?!

Another answer from IPS

Thank you for your enquiry

The IPS do not set the fees for British Passports issued overseas as these applications are not deal with in the UK they are dealt with in Passport Processing Centres overseas. You will need to contact the FCO regarding the fee charged for renewing the passport whilst overseas as it is the FCO that deal with the application process and set the fee for such applications. We in no way discriminate against people who have left the UK.

The Identity and Passport Service are unable to advise you on overseas applications as they are not dealt with here.

If you wish to renew or apply for a UK passport whilst overseas, or you have any queries relating to making your application, you will need to contact your nearest British Embassy.

In order to locate your nearest Embassy you can contact the Foreign Office. The website address is http://www.fco.gov.uk.

Thank you.

Since the Passport is issued from the UK according to the HKG website, I have now asked why we are expected to pay more, and also since next year the applications will be made in the UK what the expected price will be, will post when I get something

If you maintain an address in the UK what is to stop you applying using that address at the UK rate and then having it either brought by a friend or sent by courier to Thailand.

a ) you're not supposed to.

b ) you have to send the old passport, which you cant do because you are supposed to have it with you here at all times

c ) nothing, apart from the above

Edited by Darrel

I believe the current excuse for the higher charges is that people living overseas use more consular services than UK residents and that these services need to be paid for. Quite how that squares with the outrageous charges for the simplest of services I'm not sure. Still, someone has to pay to keep the ambassador and his staff in gin and tonics.

Well I have received a reply from the IPS, I asked them why is it that passports produced in the UK and sent overseas cost up to 60% more than the same passports posted within the UK. I also asked that when the on-line applications start next year, removing the need for for Regional Passport Centres. could they confirm that the cost of the passport cost would be the same, excluding delivery.

I advised them that as an ex-Civil Servant I am used to drafting generic responses for MP's, Ministers and the general public, so could they give me a meaningful answer.

Dear theoldgit,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Thank you.

You have to love 'em

It would be sadly amusing if the response was

Dear the oldgit

In response to your inquiry as to why we charge up to 60% more for passports produced in the UK and then sent overseas.

It's because we can.

Yours

Mr Jobsworth

Who cares where your ruddy passport comes from!?

you would do if you were British, but hey if the UK shows that it works then what is to stop the other

countries from copying the idea.

I am British!

Tell me why it matters to me if it comes from HK or the UK?

bit slow off the mark arent we ? been on the grog last night or already started ?

its just been spelt out to you in the op why you would might care where it comes from because of the extra costs or is money no object to you.

just got off the plane at swampy ? theres one born every minute ! still more live bait for the girls on lower suk and the nana area to get their teeth stuck into i suppose. whistling.gif

That response to me sounds like someone who has been in Thailand for around 5 minutes but wants to portray that they have been here a lot longer. Keep going, give some people a laugh.

must be for applications made after that date.

But the courier fees are horrendous, glad do not have to renew mine till 2022

How did you get more than 10 years?

I imagine the old passport was full but hadn't expired, they will add up to 9 month of the full passport to the new one, so 2022.

I believe the current excuse for the higher charges is that people living overseas use more consular services than UK residents and that these services need to be paid for. Quite how that squares with the outrageous charges for the simplest of services I'm not sure. Still, someone has to pay to keep the ambassador and his staff in gin and tonics.

You are partly right there, there is actually an amount factored into all UK passports to contribute towards consular services, whether issued to those in the UK, on the assumption that they will be travelling abroad and might need them, and those living overseas.

As to your second point, yes the charges are quite outrageous.

It would be sadly amusing if the response was

Dear the oldgit

In response to your inquiry as to why we charge up to 60% more for passports produced in the UK and then sent overseas.

It's because we can.

Yours

Mr Jobsworth

That would have been a more honest answer, maybe I should submit a FOI.

must be for applications made after that date.

But the courier fees are horrendous, glad do not have to renew mine till 2022

How did you get more than 10 years?

I imagine the old passport was full but hadn't expired, they will add up to 9 month of the full passport to the new one, so 2022.

Indeed

Mine is a bit over three years old and already around half full. Looking back I should have got the large PP as the one I have will be full in under seven so I will lose three years or so and only get back nine months. Might be even sooner as I have had to change from non o to tourist now which means two full page visa stamps a year rather than one. I have done quite well over the years being very polite to the immigration officers when asking if they can squeeze their stamps into the next clear space. I've found New Zealand and Australia the worst, they just find a full blank page and stamp in the middle.

so yes I would be peeved about 50quid, considering if I was in the UK a new passport would cost 77.50GBP.

My new little book from HK (with UNDER the number of promised useable pages) cost just short of 8,000b plus of course another 1,000 (almost) to DHL.

Out-and-back took only 14 days, which was good, but it must still be one of the most expensive in the world.

As mine was one of the last from HK, issued on August 8th, is it a collector's item?

Anyone want to bid?

Then perhaps the UK government should look at getting all passports printed in Thailand and they'd be able to reduce the fees to everyone then.

Anyone want to bid?

Sorry but mine was issued on the 17th August!!!!!

Mind you saying that ours is expensive, take a look at this!!

Prices from 2010.

Here are the top 10 most expensive passports in the world:

1. Turkey $642.11

2. New Zealand $211.07

3. Malaysia $187.56

4. Japan $182.33

5. Australia $180.00

6. Belgium $179.36

7. Canada $165.82

8. Portugal $151.57

9. Brazil $140.00

10. USA $135.00

Compared to the UK

United Kingdom $109.26

Although these prices are the prices when applying in your own country.

Edited by beano2274

• 4 weeks later...

Mind you saying that ours is expensive, take a look at this!!

Prices from 2010.

Here are the top 10 most expensive passports in the world:

1. Turkey $642.11

2. New Zealand $211.07

3. Malaysia $187.56

4. Japan $182.33

5. Australia $180.00

6. Belgium $179.36

7. Canada $165.82

8. Portugal $151.57

9. Brazil $140.00

10. USA $135.00

Compared to the UK

United Kingdom $109.26

Although these prices are the prices when applying in your own country.

I thought it might be of interest to UK citizens living in Thailand if I shared my recent experiences in renewing my UK Passport. I apologise if this has already been dealt with else where.

Firstly I obtained the C1 application form from the UK Consulate in Chiang Mai and was provided with very helpful assistance by the young lady behind the desk. However she did say that the passport was now issued in the UK and that the prepaid DHL fee for sending and receiving the passport had gone up to 1,151 baht.

However when I went to the DHL office they said because of the new arrangements ie the passport being issued in the UK they could only provide a one way service which costs 632 baht.

Three weeks later I receive a phone call from DHL who are having difficulty finding my address confirming they have documents from Hong Kong. I immediately assume my application has been rejected and the paperwork is being returned as I expect any new passport to come from the UK. However it turns out that whilst indeed the new passport is issued in the UK it is first sent to Hong Kong and from there to the applicant.

The fees I incurred for renewing my UK passport are outlined below, applying the current exchange rate of Hong Kong Dollar = 12.06 to £1 and 48 Thai Baht = £1.

Renewal and provision of a 48 page adult UK passport £166.58

Postage from Thailand to Hong Kong via DHL = £ 13.16

Postage from UK to Hong Kong via DHL = £ 10.94

Postage from Hong Kong to Thailand via DHL = £ 10.45

Total delivery costs = £ 34.55

Total cost = £ 201.13

Whilst the fees for renewal or amendment of an existing adult passport of a UK citizen making the application in the UK are:-

Renewal and provision of a Adult (48-page) UK passport £90.50

Normal service by post (aims to return your passport within three weeks - not guaranteed)

One-week Fast Track service (by appointment only) £120.50

One-day Premium service (by appointment only) £138.50

The passport fee includes sending out your new passport by Secure Delivery and returning your supporting documents by Royal Mail second-class post.

As you can see the costs are more than twice that charged in the UK.

In addition I do not understand why there is an additional charge for the passport to be sent to Hong Kong when it can be sent via routine Diplomatic Bag of which there should at least one per week to the Hong Kong Consulate.

I have taken the matter up with the FCO but don’t expect much joy!

Just a thought.

I have 2 UK passports, both legally obtained, one for Muslim and the other for non-Muslim countries.

The Muslim one has expired and my Thai visa is in the other one.

Though I live in Thailand could I post the expired one to a trusted friend in the UK and get her to send it to the passport office for renewal and then return the new one to me?

Just a thought.

I have 2 UK passports, both legally obtained, one for Muslim and the other for non-Muslim countries.

Though I live in Thailand could I post the expired one to a trusted friend in the UK and get her to send it to the passport office for renewal and then return the new one to me?

Yes.

Just a thought.

Yes.

Thank you for that information.