Thailand Destroys US$100 Million In Counterfeit Intellectual Property

webfact

Thailand destroys US$100 million in counterfeit intellectual property

BANGKOK, Aug 29 – The Thai authorities on Monday destroyed over 120 tonnes -- 1.3 million pieces -- of counterfeit goods violating intellectual property rights following Thai court rulings concerning intellectual property rights violations.

Deputy Commerce Minister Siriwat Kajornprasart presided over the event, which was a collaboration between the Commerce Ministry, the Customs Department, the Department of Special Investigation, the Intellectual Property Department and the Royal Thai Police.

Diplomats from embassies to Thailand, including the United States and the European Union, were also invited to the event.

The destruction is the second time this year of destroying all counterfeit items with a value of Bt3.1 billion (over $100 million).

This year's first destruction was held in the Andaman resort of Phuket where 93,000 counterfeit items worth Bt58 million (over $1.93 million) were destroyed.

Although many countries see that there are many cases related to the intellectual property rights violation in Thailand, Mr Siriwat explained that the Thai government and private sector continued to tighten measures in suppression and to educate youths and the public in general not to use goods violating intellectual property rights.

The deputy commerce minister added that remains of the destroyed items will be recycled for economical use.

Meanwhile, the Intellectual Property Department will apply the stricter measures to deal with the matter and to prevent the violations.

Mr Siriwat said he believed enforcement of the Intellectual Property law in conjunction with more strict suppression measures, the United States will revise Thailand's status from its current US government Priority Watch List (PWL) status to its Watch List (WL).

Thailand has been listed in the Priority Watch List for at least two years.

The deputy commerce minister urged integrated cooperation from government agencies, the private sector and the public to convince the US to remove Thailand from the PWL. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-08-29

Pirated products worth 3.1 billion THB destroyed

BANGKOK, 29 August 2011 (NNT) - The Crime Suppression Division, the National Police Office, the Customs Department and private companies have jointly destroyed confiscated pirated goods worth 3.1 billion THB.

Deputy Commerce Minister Siriwat Kajornprasart presided over the event to destroy the pirated products, weighing over 120 tons, seized by the authorities. The event is held for the second time this year. The first demolition of pirated goods, worth 58 million THB, took place in Phuket in June.

Mr Siriwat said the pirated goods were destroyed to prevent them being re-sold again. He added the event also held to show Thai government’s commitment to suppress piracy.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-08-29 footer_n.gif

Would be more creditable if the the counterfeit clothes were given away to the poor (with some kind of indelible mark inside so they could not easily be resold.

I don't actually have much sympathy with some of companies these companies who manufacture their goods in poorer economies in order to sell them for vast profits in the West. I know people will argue that it benefits those poorer countries - my point is that it does not benefit them nearly enough and helps to create a desire amongst young people in those countries for items they can never afford.

PWL

Tonnes of counterfeit goods destroyed

By The Nation

The Thai authorities on Monday destroyed over 120 tonnes of counterfeit goods, worth about Bt3.1 billion, which were found violating intellectual property rights.

The destroying was held at the order of the Thai court rulings concerning intellectual property rights violations.

Deputy Commerce Minister Siriwat Kajornprasart presided over the event, which was a collaboration between the Commerce Ministry, the Customs Department, the Department of Special Investigation, the Intellectual Property Department and the Royal Thai Police.

Diplomats from embassies to Thailand, including the United States and the European Union, were also invited to the event.

The destruction of about 1.3 million pieces is the second time this year.

The first destruction was held in Phuket where 93,000 counterfeit items worth Bt58 million were bulldozered.

Siriwat explained that the Thai government and private sector continued to tighten measures in suppression and to educate youths and the public in general not to use goods violating intellectual property rights.

Remains of the destroyed items will be recycled for economical use, he said.

Siriwat said he believed enforcement of the Intellectual Property law in conjunction with more strict suppression measures, the United States will revise Thailand's status from its current US government Priority Watch List (PWL) status to its Watch List (WL).

Thailand has been listed in the Priority Watch List for at least two years.

The deputy commerce minister urged integrated cooperation from government agencies, the private sector and the public to convince the US to remove Thailand from the PWL.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-29

For every billion destroyed there are billions more stashed away and manufactured everyday.

I think the Thai economy is supported by counterfeit goods in a way.

Just look go the the clothes markets in Chatuchak or Bobae or Pratunam, even MBK.

Heck I've even seen some officers browse for illegal dvds in klongtom market once.

Would be more creditable if the the counterfeit clothes were given away to the poor (with some kind of indelible mark inside so they could not easily be resold.

I don't actually have much sympathy with some of companies these companies who manufacture their goods in poorer economies in order to sell them for vast profits in the West. I know people will argue that it benefits those poorer countries - my point is that it does not benefit them nearly enough and helps to create a desire amongst young people in those countries for items they can never afford.

So, if I read you right. No job is better than a low paying job. The TV and Wealthy create the desire, not the presence of a factory.

a drop in the ocean !..... a token gesture , just trying to appease the west ......... If thailand were to ever invent anything worth copying , and it was copied........ they may start to take things like this more seriously,.. on another note, i personally see nothing wrong with it , if they can produce quality copies as they do , why should'nt we all be able to wear the latest style or brand ? , its the polotics of envy , ..the "have not's" want the same as the " have's".......... if they could,nt copy it they would feel the only other way would be to steal it , no washing line would be safe !!

I used to work for a UK computer software company. Years ago, I was discussing contracts and licences with the CEO of a large International US based company here in Bangkok.

When discussing the licences for the software - he offered to buy one. His rational was that in Thailand - copyright meant "The right to copy". :o