Thais Still Not Reading Critically, Historian Says

webfact

Thais still not reading critically, historian says

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

Thais are still not taught to be able to read critically and this will have deep implications on society, which claims to be mostly literate, prominent historian Nidhi Eiawsriwong has said.

In a paper entitled 'Reading Habits of Thai People from a Cultural Dimension', Nidhi argues that although the Thai written script existed long ago traditional Thai society was not a literary society and most communication was spoken and not via letters.

"The need for written communication is so minimal that although Siam's contact with China dated back for centuries, Thais have never felt the need to import printing technology from China," wrote Nidhi, in a paper which was presented to the Reading Conference organised by Thai Knowledge Park (TK Park) last week.

Nidhi said writing that debated religious texts was almost non-existent. Most religious texts were written simply for use to preach.

Very little literature was penned in pre-modern days. Most scripts weren't read - they were listened to when recited, or via prayers or stage acting.

"This is the reason there is very limited prose writing in Thai literature prior to the introduction of the printing press," he said.

Traditional Thai society thus passed on knowledge through memorisation along with the religious teaching and this had a deep-rooted impact on today's understanding of knowledge in Thai society.

"There exists one set of truth [in religions], thus learning is about memorising the right information which is absolutely correct and requires no critical thinking, no argument from other vantage points beyond that which exist in the text or is taught by the teacher."

Printing was introduced only four decades before the inception of modern education but even texts written after were done in the same fashion as those penned prior to introduction of the printing press.

"Texts were written and published for purchase by students although these texts were written under the old paradigm of education which stresses the importance of rote memorisation. The only differences being the texts that were translated from Pali are now replaced by those translated from English. Thai school texts today thus mostly lack the aspect of academic 'debate' and mostly contain easily understood summary without the need to know the sources of the content that are required to be memorised. It is almost no different from religious scripture," the historian said.

"Students are taught to carefully read, to pay attention to every word, more than to comprehend the text and its underlying thinking process which led to the production of the text… While Thai schools teach students to read, they teach it in a manner which existed prior to introduction of the printing press. And many Thais continue to read in that manner," he wrote, noting that qualitative education reform was needed.

"Thai education must stop teaching one-dimensional truth or singular truth but must teach students to search for the truth by themselves from various dimensions of truth, from various contexts where the truths are situated," he wrote.

If people did not change their attitude towards reading they would find it difficult to read books, no matter how hard it might be promoted.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-30

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thai education must stop teaching one-dimensional truth or singular truth but must teach students to search for the truth by themselves from various dimensions of truth, from various contexts where the truths are situated," he wrote.

Straight common sense but a proverbial can of worms in LOS.

I don't understand, I see so many Thais reading everyday a lot, like BB's, Iphones, MSN Manager, Google Chat etc etc...

LOL

In order to fix a problem, one must first identify that a problem exists, which is why critical thinking is so very important. A society which believes in 'mai pen rai', or the automatic wisdom of poo-yais & hero figures, therefore misses-out on chances to make things better.

If you can't admit, that it might be broke, then nobody will even try to fix it !

If only more Thais came home, having learned this lesson whilst working or studying abroad, this cultural-message might be spread quicker. But many seem to want to remain elsewhere, despite the faults which other countries also have, that's Thailand's loss.

In order to fix a problem, one must first identify that a problem exists, which is why critical thinking is so very important. A society which believes in 'mai pen rai', or the automatic wisdom of poo-yais & hero figures, therefore misses-out on chances to make things better.

If you can't admit, that it might be broke, then nobody will even try to fix it !

If only more Thais came home, having learned this lesson whilst working or studying abroad, this cultural-message might be spread quicker. But many seem to want to remain elsewhere, despite the faults which other countries also have, that's Thailand's loss.

well said and so true...

I don't think it's Thailand loss the minority you write of (rich) want it that way, they do not want the masses to know.

It always seems quite strange when you hear of Thais not being critical and yet at the same time you have people demonstrating all the time, discussing every political issue and challenging many mores of Thai life.

It always amuses me to read such things too without any mention of the differences of eastern and western philosophy for which any discussion on subjects such as this are needed to be fully understood.

If people did not change their attitude towards reading they would find it difficult to read books, no matter how hard it might be promoted.

[/Quote]

Elementary, my dear Watson, if one can't read books, get them to read eBooks instead :thumbsup:

[/Quote]

Elementary, my dear Watson, if one can't read books, get them to read eBooks instead :thumbsup:

Is that really the point? Thai people - like some others - read, and somehow even read a lot. But they hardly questioned their understanding of what they just read.

Some culture questioned too much, and some nearly never. It seems to me that you can only (hope to ) get answers if you have questions!

Edited by DTiger

I don't think it's Thailand loss the minority you write of (rich) want it that way, they do not want the masses to know.

By rich I assume you mean the upper class. Of which there are hundreds of thousands of people, lets say 2% of 60 million. The majority of them went to school in Thailand so they are subject to the same ignorance as anyone else. The rich simply don't have the critical thinking to figure out that a poor education keeps the poor, poor since they don't know the education system is useless.

They will NEVER stop teaching "singular truth" and start teaching students to "think and decide" by themselves. If this were to happen the few rich people would no longer have control of the mass of poorer people. I honestly believe after teaching in Thailand for more than 7 years that the people in charge of making education decisions know what the problem is and they have a pretty good idea how to fix it. They simply choose not to fix it, as it doesn't fit their needs. Come on, think about it. Do you really think the rich controllers of this country want the children in the rural areas getting a good education? NO. If these children become educated. Who is going to be a maid for 4000 baht a month. There won't be a huge percentage of farmers compared to other industries. The cost of eating will sky rocket. You can't even go to the 7-11 and buy a 20oz bottle of coke and a bread type snack for 30 baht. But you can get a bowl of noodles or a plate of rice with protein and vegetables for 30 baht. Huge amounts of the population poorly educated equals a massive amount of farmers equals cheap food. Being able to buy cheap food, means there is more money for gold and iphones and cars.

No doubt that there needs to be improvement here and globally but the literacy rate in Thailand is near the same as Hong Kong and Singapore. It is also significantly higher than all the neighboring countries.

Watched an advert recently on TV with a young girl in Singapore asking questions at the zoo, 'Daddy, Daddy...Why is he so tall'. - about a giraffe, 'Daddy...Daddy...Why is his nose so long?' - about an elephant. Clearly the young girl was brought up in Singapore but I suspect her father is Thai and went through the Thai education system. He hasn't got a clue how to answer his inquizative daughter because he hasn't been taught to think critically and ask questions.

;)

No doubt that there needs to be improvement here and globally but the literacy rate in Thailand is near the same as Hong Kong and Singapore. It is also significantly higher than all the neighboring countries.

"The literacy rate in Thailand is significantly higher than all the neighboring countries." To be "significantly higher" than neighboring countries, would not be difficult to achieve. Considering all the educated people in Cambodia were murdered by Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge in the 70's. All that was left were the poor and uneducated. Doesn't take too much to be "significatly higher" than that. Burma, constant civil war and military dictatorship. Yes the are probably lower than Thailand. Vietnam, I would question if Thailand is "significantly higher" than they are.

My point is, it is very easy to say "I have they best eye sight in my class" when all the other students are blind, but it is no great accomplishment.

At the moment, I don't care what they read, even critical reading, if only I could see more Thais actually holding a real book and not a 20 baht comic book with Korean or Japanese characters.

Many times I pass people at fruit stalls or in markets, just sitting looking blank. Trouble is, as other posters have mentioned, most are poorer people that have trouble reading,concentrating etc. They were never encouraged to read when growing up.

Sad really.

I think what u are getting at here is it's not only religion that has stifled critical thinking, but also the elite ie. politicians, ruling clans etc. In any case Thai historians don't have a right to point the finger - they as much as anyone else have been complicit in creating a fixed heroic construct of history that defines the whole Thai ethos and education system. The majority of the Thai population have been conned into thinking that their land, culture, language, history, people etc are perfect, so why should they question it, or even bother learning about others? Makes me think of the Scots and the way they view much of their history, or rather mythology.

By rich I assume you mean the upper class. Of which there are hundreds of thousands of people, lets say 2% of 60 million. The majority of them went to school in Thailand so they are subject to the same ignorance as anyone else. The rich simply don't have the critical thinking to figure out that a poor education keeps the poor, poor since they don't know the education system is useless.

Maybe a bit off subject I mean the rich Thai society who can afford to sent there children abroad for a while and get a higher education in the west, maybe not the best example but lets say Abhisit.

Many of the well off people in Thailand I believe certainly do have critical thinking eg. already hiring cheap labour from neigbouring boarder countries and teachers.

Even the well off farmers are not going to pay 300 a day, no matter what any government plans are.

Can you picture it, Thai farm worker " government said you give me 300 a day " farmer owner " Your sacked " :D.

Thai's are not taught or encouraged to think or be critical thinkers.

They are taught only to memorize, memorize and repeat and repeat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We don't need no education

We don't need no thought control

No dark sarcasm in the classroom

Teacher leave them kids alone

Hey! Teacher! Leave them kids alone!

All in all it's just another brick in the wall

All in all you're just another brick in the wall

Not so sure the 'common sense' of critical thinking is that common anywhere.

The world will always need cheap labor and farmers.

Fact is, this issue is never going to be fixed. Keep them all reading comic books and the world keeps spinning. If you teach them how to think critically, they may actually want to leave and go somewhere where they can make a real wage.

A very interesting article. I have always been baffled at the lack of critical thinking skills among Thai students. This article helps to explain it and the emphasis on memorization.

Education is never really very progressive anywhere. For cultural reasons, there are always techniques and ideas that are held on to long past their use-by date.

"The literacy rate in Thailand is significantly higher than all the neighboring countries." To be "significantly higher" than neighboring countries, would not be difficult to achieve. Considering all the educated people in Cambodia were murdered by Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge in the 70's. All that was left were the poor and uneducated. Doesn't take too much to be "significatly higher" than that. Burma, constant civil war and military dictatorship. Yes the are probably lower than Thailand. Vietnam, I would question if Thailand is "significantly higher" than they are.

My point is, it is very easy to say "I have they best eye sight in my class" when all the other students are blind, but it is no great accomplishment.

Your point makes no sense unless you believe Thailand chose to be located in this region of the world as you would be doing having sight and choosing to attend a blind school. Below is a list of countries in SE Asia and their Literacy Rates

Singapore 96%

Brunei 95%

Thailand 94%

Philippines 93%

Malaysia 92%

Indonesia 92%

Burma 90%

Vietnam 90%

Cambodia 76%

Laos 69%

East Timor 50%

As for being less critical readers ... this is an Asian thing that is not at all restricted to Thailand. Different cultures, different populations and different ways of doing things. Some cultures are known for producing great inventors and artists while others are known for producing scientists. China is a perfect example of where their is less critical thought but look at where they stand globally now..

Different strokes for different folks but they all have a part in this global economy.

Edited by Nisa

One can easily see in current affairs what happens when a culture relies on "one-dimensional truth or singular truth" versus being taught analysis and critical thought, subtext and multiplicity of contextual meanings.

Interesting point. I am not sure it's completely valid, however. I'm not sure that there hasn't been a great deal of emotion involved in the current situation. I very much doubt it has much to do with reading things critically. Why would Western countries get such divisions, if that were the case?

Lack of critical thinking certainly has done nothing to improve the situation.

As for literacy, that is simply the ability to read, not the ability to analyze what has been read.

Your point makes no sense unless you believe Thailand chose to be located in this region of the world as you would be doing having sight and choosing to attend a blind school. Below is a list of countries in SE Asia and their Literacy Rates

Singapore 96%

Brunei 95%

Thailand 94%

Philippines 93%

Malaysia 92%

Indonesia 92%

Burma 90%

Vietnam 90%

Cambodia 76%

Laos 69%

East Timor 50%

As for being less critical readers ... this is an Asian thing that is not at all restricted to Thailand. Different cultures, different populations and different ways of doing things. Some cultures are known for producing great inventors and artists while others are known for producing scientists. China is a perfect example of where their is less critical thought but look at where they stand globally now..

Different strokes for different folks but they all have a part in this global economy.

Good to known these "Literacy Rates", that you probably found on the Unesco website... I would have guess these just 2/3% lower, as not everyone agree on the unesco methods.... But whatever.

My real point is I think China is a perfect exemple of a knowledge, critical mind unbalance within the population, and only a small part of China "stands out".

Yes,

Literacy in words they are familiar with in their daily surroundings which does not comprise of an extensive dictionary of words for reading books that go into details and backgrounds. That is why Thai newspapers are plastered with pictures and photos, without them Thais would be lost, and of course not buy newspapers. Thais most favorite books are Comic books in which they read the pictures more than the little writing that accompany the pictures. If they would seriously read the writing accompanying the pictures then Thais will learn more words, but anything requiring effort is not on the top of a Thais’ list of things to do. Thais don’t have to feel like the Lone Ranger regarding Comic books, Japan is another Comic book country, in reality it is THE Comic book country, as a matter of fact that is were the Comic books in Thailand are mostly copied and translated from. After a few years hassling with Thais about learning I did come to the end and when needed do it my self. I may come from the same country, but my name is not Homan van der Heide whose efforts in the early nineteen hundreds to support the interest of the Thai rice farmers were not received at all levels with equal enthusiasm. You want to learn history of Thailand read the book King of the waters. It is an examination of the ambiguous performance of the Siamese state in agriculture policy; it shows the dramatic picture of clashing cultures, comparable to many encounters in contemporary development cooperation. Unfortunately for Homan van der Heide in his days he had yet not heard of, like I have: LOL in LOS.