The World'S Top 10 Safest Airlines

LindsayBKK

AUSTRALIAN airlines have failed to make the list of the world's safest carriers. A study by the Air Transport Rating Agency (ATRA) found European and US carriers dominated in terms of safety.

Australian airlines were missing from the list, but an ATRA spokesperson said Qantas was "very close to the top 10" and a "very good airline".

Air France-KLM, British Airways and Lufthansa were named the safest European airlines. Meanwhile AMR Corporation, Continental Airlines, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines and US Airways were the safest US carriers and Japan Airlines the safest Asian airline.

The first study of its kind, to obtain the classifications Swiss independent company ATRA examined publicly available information on 15 criteria, such as the average age of the aircraft used or the homogeneity of the fleet, it said.

The agency explained that to understand airline safety, one needed not only to look at accident figures, but also "technical, human, organisational and external'' elements.

"Even though the European Union publishes a 'blacklist' of dangerous airlines, there exists a real difference in safety between the other airline companies,'' ATRA added.

Top 10 safest airlines in the world:

1. Air France-KLM

2. AMR Corporation (American Airlines, American Eagles)

3. British Airways

4. Continental Airlines

5. Delta Airlines

6. Japan Airlines

7. Lufthansa

8. Southwest Airlines

9. United Airlines

10. US Airways

News.com.au

I'm sorry but how many crashes in the last couple of years has Air France had? I must be missing something. They get no:1???

Must have something to do with linked to KLM. Oh hang on didn't KLM cause the biggest accident in history (1977) killing 583 people

by crashing into a British Airways plane at Tenerife? BS List!

No deaths on any Qantas planes or in Australia (after 1966) for that matter but of course that has nothing to do with it.

Not to mention all American Airlines crash frequently.

I would put Thai Airways Intl. above Southwest also.

List of accidents and incidents involving commercial aircraft

Edited by LindsayBKK

Badly educated pilots bring down a A340 to the Atlantic Ocean off Brazil, killing more than 200 people.

"Pilot error" is the clear verdict.

A330. Pilot Error is not actually the clear verdict it was however certainly a contributing factor, However engineering issue's and weather will also a contributing factor. All 3 were the cause of the accident. Removing any 1 of them may have prevented the accident.

Improvements can be made on several aspects with the hope that it does not occur again:

1. Pilot Handling Skills in emergency situations with limited instrumentation.

2. Engineering design of aircraft components and control systems logic.

3. Addition of certain instrumentation to assist pilot handling in that situation Angle Of Attack indication for example.

Edited by negreanu

It's to do with their safety practices rather than number of crashes.

Qantas have had a run of good luck and some near misses over the last couple of years. And until 1994, they didn't have a domestic network meaning their route network was through quiet airspace. The way they are run now, I wouldn't have that much faith in them anymore.

KLM had a huge crash in 1977 but are well run now..

Since the dubious investigation of the crashed Air France airliner, I´m not sure Air France should be on the top of the list. The error will always be human whether it's the engineer, the mechanic or the pilot. Someone is obvious responsible for the crash.

Since the dubious investigation of the crashed Air France airliner, I´m not sure Air France should be on the top of the list. The error will always be human whether it's the engineer, the mechanic or the pilot. Someone is obvious responsible for the crash.

And what is dubious about the (still ongoing) investigation into the loss of AF447? The French accident investigators made a quite unprecedented effort to successfully recover the cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorders from several miles down in the mid Atlantic ocean.

If, after they publish their final report, you still think the investigation is 'dubious', perhaps you will explain why, citing your reasons.