Free 90 Units Electric Policy Change?

djeetyet

I live in Chanthaburi Province. For about 2 years if I used less than 90 units my electric bill was FREE. For the past 2 months, even though it's still been under 90 units I've had to pay. My friend ask the meter reader and we were told that we now have to pay for we have 15-amp power, and the free electric policy was only for those with 5-amp power. I never heard or read about this policy change. I searched and couldn't find anything, either. Anybody else hear about this, or have same situation.

Thanks

Until recently we lived in Bkk and our bill was free under the old policy but I guess 6 months ago that scheme ended then we had to pay.

I can recall my Thai adult son saying it was mentioned in the Thai newspapers that the old scheme would end.

I was told when I moved into my apartment (in Phuket) last year that if it was under a certain amount, it was free. But we've always had a charge (the misses uses the aircon more than I do!)

I'm in Bangkok ATM, and there's a sign in the foyer and elevators talking about how the govt have changed the rules and that everyone will now be charged (in this building) for their electricity. It doesn't mention anything about the 5A/15A thing, but being an apartment building, and judging from the other posts, the building and subsequent rooms must all be 15A power.

I think that's funny (sad funny) that someone upgraded the inlaws house and they now get charged.