Flu Epidemic In Chiang Mai?

sfokevin

How does the flu choose certain people to infect, while ignoring other people? Random? Diet? Previously had flu jabs?

Why not just get the flu, and let the body do its job in repairing itself? Or, if we get the flu, then can we take that as a message that all is not right with one's immune system?

Or, can we prevent getting it by taking certain food choices?

They're not leading questions, just questions that belong to this topic. Personally i've never had one flu jab, even as a kid many years ago, when many people who got the flu were those that had already had the jab. I wonder if any posters who have or have not had flu jabs might be willing to tell us of their flu history?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/9230243? This study indicates low glutathione (usually indicating a weakened immune system) may result in more likelihood of severe flu like symptoms.

"NAC treatment was well tolerated and resulted in a significant decrease in the frequency of influenza-like episodes, severity, and length of time confined to bed."

I take a supplement (supposed to be available in Thailand next year) that is much more effective than NAC at raising intracellular glutathione, and even though I was exposed to this bug over a week ago, so far I have no symptoms. Just one case, I know, but not unexpected based on the above study.

I have never had a flu shot in my life. I just don't trust the big drug companies.

My main reference book lists various reasons why unrefined brown rice is so healthy. Unrefined meaning the coating is intact. This rice bran has over 70 antioxidants in it! The list also includes glutathione peroxidase.

So if that is the same thing, then perhaps you only need to ensure you're eating good brown rice! Since lots of GABA brown rice is easily available in chiang mai, perhaps you won't need your supplement any more!

Glutathione Peroxidase and Glutathione are not the same. There are several glutathione peroxidases in the human body. They are enzymes that are catalysts for reactions involving glutathione. They are not usually in short supply. As stated above this company is not yet licensed to distribute in Thailand and does not want its name in the public eye until all the agreements with the Thai government are in place. I am happy to discuss further with any interested person. Pm me.

even though I was exposed to this bug over a week ago, so far I have no symptoms.

No disrespect intended, but I have been repeatedly exposed to it over the last month and have no symptoms yet even though I am not taking any medication or even taking any placeboes. The fact that you have not come down with it is not really evidence of anything.

Yeah, I think I mentioned something to that effect. Maybe use the whole quote next time? Once again no disrespect intended, but the follow on sentence was pertinent.

...and even though I was exposed to this bug over a week ago, so far I have no symptoms. Just one case, I know, but not unexpected based on the above study.

Yes, you did mention that you were only one case, but you also implied that the supplement that you are taking likely had something to do with your lack of symptoms. THAT was what I was addressing.

Anyone can get the flu... it is just as likely to be the robust super sports player or the couch potato. One simple way is to touch a door knob where the previous person with the flu just wiped his or her snotty nose and then opened the door with the "infected hand". I recently retired from the Kennedy Space Center where FREE annual flu shots were given to workers deemed to be most "at risk" (old farts like me, diabetics, heart problem people, etc). BTW, astronauts also got their annual flu shots.

This is it though. Plenty of studies have revealed that those who have vaccinations are just as likely, if not more so, to get what it is they're being 'protected' against.

Name three.

Heh, and should i not do your own work for you, will that simply mean that it simply is not true??

As it happens, i'll merely post in a link that shows the Institute of Medicine, which is funded by the pharmaceutical companies, admitting various health problems vaccines pose to those who receive them.

That should do for now. If you're interested in finding out more about vaccines, then this link will set you on your way. If not, then anything i say or do will not convince you, and that's fine. It's not my job to convince you.

http://www.naturalnews.com/033447_Institute_of_Medicine_vaccines.html

You made a claim without any support. You were called on the claim. You responded by telling the person who asked you to back up your claim that he should find the support to your claim that he doesn't believe exists.

You would convince me if you posted links that support your claim that "those who have vaccinations are just as likely, if not more so, to get what it is they're being 'protected' against." But, it's not your job to convince, is it?

You can get the flu vaccine at Dr. Morgan's Hang Dong Clinic. Do a search on this forum for Health Care Medical Clinic or simply Dr. Morgan...wait here it is listed on her website...590 Baht.

Does she run an appointment system or can you just turn up during opening hours?

I just walked in without an appointment :D

This is it though. Plenty of studies have revealed that those who have vaccinations are just as likely, if not more so, to get what it is they're being 'protected' against.

Name three.

It is too bad they can't do a study and ask all the people that died of the flu if they would have liked the vaccination...

Edited by sfokevin

uptheos..

re .. can you just turn up during opening hours?

she might be busy and you may have to wait but ... yes you can

a tip .... dont stand in the doorway !

as dave2 ... is coming through .. coming through .. soon : )

Are you THAT big? laugh.gif

The picture of the premises is a big help - is this your 'blue' period?

Edited by uptheos

Ive had inoculations as a child, but nothing for the past 33 years, not even a check up. Seems like everyone around me gets sick but me. :huh:

Now that ive said that , i'll probably get sick now.

This is it though. Plenty of studies have revealed that those who have vaccinations are just as likely, if not more so, to get what it is they're being 'protected' against. I think this is the case with flu too. Getting the jab certainly does not mean you won't get it.

Then there's the question of exactly what they put in these vaccines. Sounds like a horror story to me.

One site i use a lot simply suggest one makes sure they get a lot of vitamin D, and you're likely to miss the flu going around.

One member of my family has taken cod liver oil capsules for years, and never ever gets any flu going around, and he's in england, where flu is so commonplace.

I'd say there are plenty of more healthy ways of dealing with the flu than getting those pharmaceutical company products injected into your bloodstream and attacking your immune system.

What an irresponsible post.

Age is a factor when considering a flu shot, older farangs from the West have more built up immunity to flu viruses than do younger Asians for example, if anyone needs the flu shot it's the Asian community, or so I would have thought - but there again, how many Thai families are likely to want to spend 700 baht at a private hospital to get that protection, not many I suspect, draw your own conclusions on all of this!

As this is clearly a Health topic, moving it to the Health Forum.

Please review the Health Forum specific rules before posting with special attention to rules about the posting of factually inaccurate information and quackery.

Name three.

A vaccine which does not reduce the likelihood of getting the disease = a vaccine that does not make it past the clinical trial phase.

that said, the various vaccines do vary in how effective they are and in the risk-benefit balance for different segments of the population.

Detailed information about influenza in Thailand can be found here http://eng.moph.go.th/

You can get the flu vaccine at Dr. Morgan's Hang Dong Clinic. Do a search on this forum for Health Care Medical Clinic or simply Dr. Morgan...wait here it is listed on her website...590 Baht.

Does she run an appointment system or can you just turn up during opening hours?

I believe that you can turn up in the afternoons but that she has scheduled appointments in the mornings.

Because good health is the most important foundation for our ability to enjoy life, topics like vaccinations should be carefully researched in this day and age, where the profit motive runs just about everything that is bought and sold. As can be imagined, with hundreds of millions of flu jabs (just one vaccine amongst dozens) being made, and if 700 baht is the average price, say 25 US bucks, no-one needs to be a mathematician to see how much money is being handed over to a couple of companies. Best business to be in, this vaccine lark!

For anybody interested... just for a start:

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2011/05/16/swine-flu-shot-linked-to-sleep-disease/

My son has just been diagnosed with avian type A flu and was admitted with 41 degrees temp , has to take tamiflu tabs twice a day and been admitted for 2 day's . Now If eel like I'm coming down with something headache and tired . Hope I don't get it .

I believe that you can turn up in the afternoons but that she has scheduled appointments in the mornings.

appointments in the afternoon too. Best to make an appointment. Sometimes busy, sometimes not.