Which Bank?

Any advice from those that have a credit card with a THAI bank?( Not Amex or Citi ) I do not care about interest rates as I don't plan on paying late, the card must be able to link with my Thai Air gold card for points as this is the only reason I want it...Cheers

The main question is do you have a WP or not? If so, how many years?

For credit card, most will require a work permit or a sizable amount of fund locked away.

If you are looking for something to link to TG, you should look at Thai Royal Orchid Plus cards... many banks have them... the easiest one to get is likely to be KTC card. They have booths and offices in most of the shopping malls.

I just wondered why you are not interested in an Amex card, they can certainly be linked to your TG card, and using the card at weekends gives you 5X points on weekend usage at a number of outlets, 3X points on Thai flights and a 25% bonus on points for overseas usage.

Just be aware, with pretty much any of the Thai bank credit cards, you're fully liable for any fraudulent or stolen card use up to your credit limit until typically 5 minutes after you've reported the card lost or stolen the bank.... even if you happen to not know or notice it's been misused for some period of time. The liability could be quite large.

I haven't surveyed every one of the Thai banks. But for the several where I was able to find and review their credit card terms and conditions documents in English, that was the standard provision they had. I'm assuming that's a standard market condition here, the same pretty much as their standard 20% APR interest on carried-over balances.

Came across this tonight on the Thai Air web site...

Introducing Siam Commercial Bank, known to customers as SCB, the latest Royal Orchid Plus partner. Founded in 1907 as Thailand’s first commercial bank, SCB today has the largest retail bank network of 1,000 branches throughout the Kingdom offering complete banking services to over 10 million customers.

SCB Platinum and Beyond Platinum cardholders can now convert SCB Rewards Points to Royal Orchid Plus miles, every 4 points equal to 1 mile. Once converted, miles can be redeemed for any Royal Orchid Plus Award, by the account owner or for an Award Nominee.

To celebrate this new partnership, SCB and Royal Orchid Plus have teamed-up to offer bonus miles to SCB Platinum and Beyond Platinum cardholders.

• DOUBLE MILES on all THAI flights within Thailand (per sector)

• BONUS MILES to AUSTRALIA - Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane / Perth

- Royal First Class 3,000 bonus miles per sector

- Royal Silk Class 2,000 bonus miles per sector

- Economy Class 1,000 bonus miles per sector

You must register with SCB to be eligible for both bonus mile promotions, valid until 31 October 2011 when flying THAI.*

1. Type ROP (space) followed by your Royal Orchid Plus membership number (space) followed by 16-digit credit card number.

2. SMS to 4545333 (3 Baht per SMS)

If you are a SCB customer apply today for a SCB Platinum or Beyond Platinum card to convert points to miles, and to take advantage of these bonus mile promotions.

If you are not already a Royal Orchid Plus member, enroll instantly at www.thaiairways.com/rop and earn an additional 2,500 bonus miles with your first THAI flight.

*Registration with SCB during the promotion period is required to earn bonus miles. The Double Miles offer is valid on all paid fares on THAI operated flights within Thailand. Between Thailand and Australian destinations bonus miles are earned per sector according to class of service flown. Valid on THAI operated flights all paid booking classes, excluding G/V/W in Economy class. All eligible Royal Orchid Plus accounts will be credited with bonus miles within 30 days after the end of the promotion period.

http://enews.royal-orchid-plus.com/Sep11/index.php?load=content_2

Just be aware, with pretty much any of the Thai bank credit cards, you're fully liable for any fraudulent or stolen card use up to your credit limit until typically 5 minutes after you've reported the card lost or stolen the bank.... even if you happen to not know or notice it's been misused for some period of time. The liability could be quite large.

I haven't surveyed every one of the Thai banks. But for the several where I was able to find and review their credit card terms and conditions documents in English, that was the standard provision they had. I'm assuming that's a standard market condition here, the same pretty much as their standard 20% APR interest on carried-over balances.

Yeap, and just to quote from Bangkok Bank credit card web page:

Lost card liability: Maximum liability of 1,000Bt in the case of fraudulent use of card after notification of the loss to Bangkok Bank.

That pretty much implies to me you are liable up to the point of notifying the bank...and I've read in other posts that same thing that it's actually 5 minutes after notification for credit or debit cards for some banks (maybe Bangkok Bank to). In Thailand they don't seem to have consumer protection laws; seems like it more bank protection laws.