Opening A Bank Account In Bangkok

strikingsunset

Hi,help please.

I have been to 3 branches of the Kasikorn bank,and been refused at all of them to open a bank account ( I have a non immigrant O VISA and am trying to transfer funds for extension of stay) at the third branch they called their technical department who said they could only open an account with a work permit,or if I worked for the British Embassy ( maybe the meant to say ( see below) with a letter from the British Embassy.

I then went to the Bangkok Bank,who said I could not open an account anywhere with just a passport,without a work permit they would need a " guarantee letter from the British Embassy.

I need to transfer funds by 20th September latest,please can those of you " in the know" please give me advice as to what I should do now ?

Thanks,

PS.I have posted this on the Bangkok forum rather than the banking forum,hoping to get a wider coverage/readers.

There is a member of Thai Visa how works for Bangkok Bank, (I can't remember his name, but maybe one of the other members know his name) , maybe he can help

Edit 15:30 Found him

His name is Daveroc.

Edited by MJCM

I think Bangkok Bank may require a certificate of residence hence the reference to the British Embassy. They should issue a letter confirming your address. Surprised to hear about Kasikorn I know guys who have opened an account with them on a 30day visa excempt just with the production of their passport.

Ianguygil is the member you need for accurate information, Ian works for Bangkok Bank and will assist wherever possible.

http://www.thaivisa....9038-ianguygil/

In my experience its just a matter if one branch or bank says no, try another,unless there has been a policy change. I opened an account with just my passport and wife.

I also opened one with Kasikorn with just the passport.

Make sure it is a SAVINGS ACCOUNT you trying to open NOT a checking account , You still get the card etc but for foreigners its called a savings account.

Edited by CharlieH

:rolleyes:

You need to keep tryimg...some branches just don't want to bother so they tell "untruths" about what you require to open the account. You can open an account witha Non O multi-entry visa, because that is what I had when I opened mine. No letter from the embessy is required.

Try Bangkpk Bank Sukhumvit Road Soi 43 branch in Bangkok. I opened one at that branch in December 2010 after being turned down by another Bangkok Bank local branch near my house. I have two accounts in that branch, one in my name and one as a joint account with my Thai wife.

I've always found that particular branch to be friendlier and more helpful and courteous than some other Bangkok Bank branches in Bangkok.

Sukhumvit Road Soi 43 Bangkok Bank branch. Go to the foriegn excange desk with your funds ready for the best service, and make sure you let them see you have a non O visa.

It worked for me.

:whistling:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

:rolleyes:

You need to keep tryimg...some branches just don't want to bother so they tell "untruths" about what you require to open the account. You can open an account witha Non O multi-entry visa, because that is what I had when I opened mine. No letter from the embessy is required.

Try Bangkpk Bank Sukhumvit Road Soi 43 branch in Bangkok. I opened one at that branch in December 2010 after being turned down by another Bangkok Bank local branch near my house. I have two accounts in that branch, one in my name and one as a joint account with my Thai wife.

I've always found that particular branch to be friendlier and more helpful and courteous than some other Bangkok Bank branches in Bangkok.

Sukhumvit Road Soi 43 Bangkok Bank branch. Go to the foriegn excange desk with your funds ready for the best service, and make sure you let them see you have a non O visa.

It worked for me.

:whistling:

If all else fail's Pattaya will do it all the bank's there a geared up to serve Farang. Need a work permit never heard of it. I'm with the Kasikorn bank sorry not near BKK I opened my account with a double entry visa. But the BKK Bank said no can do. Found out later that no one knew how to do it. Easy get out cant do or be bothered. When you get it as you will do give us an update on how thing's went, as might help other peep's. Best of luck.

Should work with just a passport in any of three banks (K-Bank, SCB, BB), however you may have to go through several branches until you get positive reply.

But if you got a Thai friend, take him along, it will help.

scb doesnt open account without wp i tried 5 different branches and all of them refused. bangkok bank need proof of adress which i show my turkish driving license with the adress at the back and opened my account there. kbank is the easiest they want only your passport try different branches and let your wife talk with them because most of the staff have poor english and many of them dont want to deal with foreigners

<br />
<br />Should work with just a passport in any of three banks (K-Bank, SCB, BB), however you may have to go through several branches until you get positive reply.<br />But if you got a Thai friend, take him along, it will help.<br />
<br /><br />scb doesnt open account without wp i tried 5 different branches and all of them refused. bangkok bank need proof of adress which i show my turkish driving license with the adress at the back and opened my account there. kbank is the easiest they want only your passport try different branches and let your wife talk with them because most of the staff have poor english and many of them dont want to deal with foreigners<br />
<br /><br /><br />

same story for me in Pattaya, BB and SCB wanted work permits (and TMB) Kasikorn opened an account for a mate with a 30 day entry stamp.

Opened mine with only a passport at Bangkok Banks main office near the Sala Daeng bts. No wp or any other documents were needed. Took only like 30 mins and I had an atm card in my hand. I had the same problem as you with the smaller branches but main office did the trick

Anyways good luck!

The official requirement for non immigrant visa (other than B ) at Bangkok Bank is:

Valid passport, and

ONE of the following documents:

2.1 An identity card issued by a government institution or university such as:

- Your driver’s license, Foreign Identification Card, University

Student/Professor Card

2.2 A letter of recommendation from

- Embassy [Download Form 177 KB], International

Organization, Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via

the SWIFT message [Download Form 958 KB], a person

acceptable to Bangkok Bank (such as BBL staff, customer,

government officer, company executive, private firms), or

home country institutions (such as pension receipt)

[Download Form 674 KB]

2.3 Other documents showing your name such as:

- Bank Statement, lease agreement, utility bill, documents

showing owners of a fixed asset or Condominium

Sale/Purchase Agreement

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Pages/Opening%20an%20account%20new.aspx

I opened a savings account at Bangkok Bank in Empire Tower on Friday and I just have a 30 day visa that you get when arriving here at the airport. They just needed my passport and one other form of ID which I used my driver's license from America. I was able to open the account in just a few minutes. I also have a K-Bank account that I opened years ago but their cash deposit machines in my area never work at night so that is why I changed to Bangkok Bank. If you think you will need to make deposits using the machines I wouldn't open a K-Bank account.

SCB in Bangkok are unlikely to help unless you are very lucky, they say they are not equiped to deal with tourists. The branch in Jomtien however were very helpful and did the biz in a matter of minutes, Savings accountwith ATM card, excellent service. This is of little use unless you are in or can get to Pattaya easily.

K bank on Soi 3 (next to the Grace Hotel) will open an account with just your passport. I opened an account with them a year ago after checking out the other banks, they managed everything I needed very quickly and the lady I delt with spoke manageable English, although I did have my TW with me. In addition, yesterday, I opened another account, also a savings account but one to manage my money for annual visa with a slightly higher interest rate. Again, no problem, just show passport.

Good luck!

OP replying.

Thanks all for your really helpful replies,I was getting a bit jittery over it all.

I went to Central World today with a friends Thai Wife.Bangkok Bank and Kalisorn Bank would not open an account,similar excuses as before,but the Siam Commercial Bank were very cooperative and an account,with internet banking was open in about 10 minutes.They accepted my visa and condo key card ( with my address on it ) as proof of my residence.

It did made a huge difference taking a Thai speaker along.

Thanks Again

• Like 1

OP replying.

Thanks all for your really helpful replies,I was getting a bit jittery over it all.

I went to Central World today with a friends Thai Wife.Bangkok Bank and Kalisorn Bank would not open an account,similar excuses as before,but the Siam Commercial Bank were very cooperative and an account,with internet banking was open in about 10 minutes.They accepted my visa and condo key card ( with my address on it ) as proof of my residence.

Thanks Again

I am sorry I did not get time to reply to your PM before you decided to open this account with another bank. As I said I was on business abroad last week and was flying when you sent the PM.

I apologise that our branch gave you the wrong information. You were indeed eligible to open an account and they have been contacted and will receive training to ensure they provide the right answer in the future.

For any other ThaiVisa members who would like to open an account and meet the criteria on our website (link shown below) please feel free to contact me in advance and we can arrange an appointment at the branch which is most convenient for you. But please understand that it may take me a day or so to get to this as I am pretty busy generally. Thanks.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Pages/Opening%20an%20account%20new.aspx

• Like 1

OP replying.

Thanks Again

I am sorry I did not get time to reply to your PM before you decided to open this account with another bank. As I said I was on business abroad last week and was flying when you sent the PM.

I apologise that our branch gave you the wrong information. You were indeed eligible to open an account and they have been contacted and will receive training to ensure they provide the right answer in the future.

For any other ThaiVisa members who would like to open an account and meet the criteria on our website (link shown below) please feel free to contact me in advance and we can arrange an appointment at the branch which is most convenient for you. But please understand that it may take me a day or so to get to this as I am pretty busy generally. Thanks.

http://www.bangkokba...ount%20new.aspx

Thanks for your personal messsage and interest.If I had not been able an account by now i would,for sure,have taken up your offer of assistance,Regards,OP

OP replying.

Thanks Again

http://www.bangkokba...ount%20new.aspx

Why not get some posters made and put them up in every branch with the words "Farangs can open a bank account here" in Thai and English (maybe also Russian, German, French etc.)

• Like 1

I am on exactly the same visa as you.

Go to Kasikorn bank on the ground floor of central (near the entrance to the car park), explain your situation and they will be quite happy to open you one. Although the 500k I was depositing may have helped a bit too.

You need a work permit if u want to get a credit card from the bank - for just a normal savings account with a debit card you should only need a passport - the bank staff probably are confused or think u want a credit card account - just make it clear to them. failing that try Citibank - they have useful flexible time deposits with ability to withdraw at any time and have an ATM card without any charges anywhere in the world. Branches now on Silom and Asoke interchange building.

Should work with just a passport in any of three banks (K-Bank, SCB, BB), however you may have to go through several branches until you get positive reply.

But if you got a Thai friend, take him along, it will help.

scb doesnt open account without wp i tried 5 different branches and all of them refused. bangkok bank need proof of adress which i show my turkish driving license with the adress at the back and opened my account there. kbank is the easiest they want only your passport try different branches and let your wife talk with them because most of the staff have poor english and many of them dont want to deal with foreigners

Well, I have opened savings account in SCB with nothing but passport with 30 days stamp. Not even a visa and no Thai friends' help.

I have accounts in Bangkok Bank and KTB, though the last one was not easy and required to bring my Thai friend along (he showed only ID card, no other documents).

You need a work permit if u want to get a credit card from the bank

You may get a credit card without WP, but under fixed deposit. I.e. you put into the bank 20+ thousand THB and get credit line with the same limit. Basically you use your own money, but you have any credit card you like.

As a post script, I spoke to K Bank, soi 3, last week. They confirmed they now need a WP to open an account, so they appear to have changed policy within the last year.

Many posters have provided valuable information, all of which is good stuff! The bottom line however is that different branches have different policies which will even change in house dependant upon who you speak to, so the only real advice is......shop around and keep trying!

Good Luck

• 1 year later...

Banks in whole Thailand are in my point of view totally crazy, because when the manager has a good day, you can open an account. When the same manager had a terrible night you can forget it. Get sick of that attitude. I went to KBank with retirement visa. Can not... other branch, can, but need also "rental-contract"... don't have, because I live with my wife in the same house we bought... problem! solution? my wife wrote a small letter at the bank that she stated that I life on the same address... Oh my god, but have the account. Bangkok Bank (not the most easiest bank)... can! have it also... same with SCB.... can! have now 3 banks with only passport and retirement visa. So know that you have to "shop" at different braches. Don't look too far away from your address, because for forms etc. you always need to go to the branch where you opened the account.

• Like 1

The easiest answer is just take someone who speaks Thai,doesn't even have to be Thai as I opened a Kasikorn account with a Chinese girl who spoke Thai helping me,her boyfriend was Thai!

It was at the big branch opposite Wall Street Tower on Surawong,which looks to have been mentioned already here as the Sala Daeng Branch.

I was going to open a multi-currency/USD account but there was so much paperwork I gave up and went for a Thai Baht account!