Dsi Arrest Man Accused Of Extorting Cash From Pattaya Bars

Rimmer

DSI arrest man accused of extorting cash from Pattaya bars

PATTAYA: -- Thailand’s equivalent of the FBI has arrested a man accused of extorting money from entertainment venues on behalf of a Pattaya Police Officer. On Friday Night, the Department of Special Investigations (DSI), Pattaya Branch arrested Khun Sanae aged 36 outside a bar in North Pattaya where, it is claimed, he was in the process of collect money in return for protection for the bar. Although this is common practice around Thailand, the local branch of the DSI has reportedly received orders to stamp out this illegal practice.

Full story and pictures HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2011-09-03

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Thailands equivalent of the F.B.I.......its easy to be critical...but it is the DSI that exposed all the illegal "Resorts" in the National Parks...more power to their elbow I say...this incident in Pattaya I hope is the tip of the iceberg that will grow and expose more and more corruption and make everyone wake up to all illegal activites.....

Get these guys on the jetski operators and while they're at it, how about making the Pattaya taxis USE their meters?

I am not being rude but I will assume that you are new here. Unless something has changed very recently, Pattaya does not ave metered taxis. The Pattaya meter taxis are not from Pattaya, they are from Bangkok and are there to be used for a ride back up to Bangkok only, not for buzzing around Pattaya. I believe they charge 800 baht for the ride to BKK city center (may have gone up now, I haven't used them in a few years).

Cheers.

Get these guys on the jetski operators and while they're at it, how about making the Pattaya taxis USE their meters?

I am not being rude but I will assume that you are new here. Unless something has changed very recently, Pattaya does not ave metered taxis. The Pattaya meter taxis are not from Pattaya, they are from Bangkok and are there to be used for a ride back up to Bangkok only, not for buzzing around Pattaya. I believe they charge 800 baht for the ride to BKK city center (may have gone up now, I haven't used them in a few years).

Cheers.

Not new here. There is a fleet of PATTAYA meter taxis here. They have meters, but they never use them. And you say you live here and don't know that? This Pattaya fleet has existed here for years now. You're welcome.

Yes they like to do airport runs but will accept most charter fares within town if you are willing to pay their extortionate charter fares. Again, they are indeed based in Pattaya. In fact, they are run by the Pattaya baht bus cooperative.

post-37101-0-77077900-1315049685_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

I am not being rude but I will assume that you are new here. Unless something has changed very recently, Pattaya does not ave metered taxis. The Pattaya meter taxis are not from Pattaya, they are from Bangkok

Sure looks like a Chonburi local registration to me on JTs picture

Cheers.

Not been to Pattaya for a while?

Yes they like to do airport runs but will accept most charter fares within town if you are willing to pay their extortionate charter fares. Again, they are indeed based in Pattaya. In fact, they are run by the Pattaya baht bus cooperative.

I do not know why, but you have to click on the photo link to see the photo.

post-34728-0-45917500-1315116756_thumb.j

This is a Pattaya "Meter" taxi. They refuse to switch on the meter for even a short didtance.

I asked the Taxi driver how much from The Ave Mall, Second Road, to collect my car at JT Motors, opposite the "Fly Now" shop and Cholchan Hotel, on Sukhumvit Road. He insisted the fare was 350 baht. Had he said 200 Baht, I would have paid him, as you rarely win with any "Mafia Group". He did say he had TO PAY 1,000 Baht a day to drive the taxi.

So I walked across the road caught a blue Baht Bus to Naklua (20 Baht - overcharged 10 Baht from posted tariff) and changed to a white baht Bus (10 Baht) and they took me exactly where I wanted to go. OK, 30 mins more, but 320 Baht or £6.60 less in current UK FX rates.

post-34728-0-11809700-1315116766_thumb.j

A queue of unused Blue/Yellow taxis, as they will not cruise or use the meter. There are no literally '000s, so the mafia pricing must work.

Cheers.

Not to be rude but you're wrong on this. It's a good thing you weren't rude in your post or maybe you'd have to come back and admit you were wrong and apologize for your mistake. Oh yeah.. TIT

Edited by Jayman

Cheers.

JT I guess he didn't see your thread about 'knowing who you are'.

May be time to get out and about a bit more and expose yourself. hehehehehe

I am not being rude but I will assume that you are new here

You're right about that, JT is a newbie.............................with twenty six thousand posts :lol: ( and for sure he doesn't know a (jing) thing about taxis)

Edited by janverbeem

I am not being rude but I will assume that you are new here

You're right about that, JT is a newbie.............................with twenty six thousand posts :lol: ( and for sure he doesn't know a (jing) thing about taxis)

But dont ask him about the baht bus, please

Those taxis are owned by the same mafia who owns the baht buses. The story I hear, is they were put in Pattaya to keep the Bangkok taxis from doing "local" runs after arriving from the airport. Before, their argument was there were no taxis here...so OK for them to do a few "local" runs before heading back to the airport. Now that Pattaya has it's own "metered" taxis, they are not allowed to do this. It's a scam for sure.

I was at a restaurant in Pattaya and the owner showed me where he put his monthly "fee" for the BIB. It was in the electrical box in the back of the restaurant. Not much, but 2-3k or so per month. Adds up for sure.

By the way, welcome to Pattaya JT!!!! :lol:

If you've got some time, maybe you can help us with some restaurant reviews???? :jap: