Retirement Visa

Hi,

I have been working in Thailand for a number of years and am now of retirement age. How do I go about seeking a retirement visa, at present on a work permit / non Immigrant B visa? I am from the UK.

I have the necessary funds in a Thai bank which I have had for 8 years. Is showing this bank account sufficient or do I have to show anything else?

Finally, the amount I believe is 800, 000. If this changes in a few years will I be excempt from any changes?

Mike

You understand that no work on a retirement extension?

Just visit immigration. Not sure if they will have to change to an O type non immigrant first or if can be done immediately but to avoid any chance of having to duplicate bank letter/medical certificate I would ask first.

When retirement conditioners were last changed those in the system were grand fathered but can provide no guarantee.

Edited by lopburi3

I have the necessary funds in a Thai bank which I have had for 8 years. Is showing this bank account sufficient or do I have to show anything else?

The 800,000 baht must have come into your bank from outside Thailand. If this isn't the case, of course, you can wire the money out of the country, then wire it back in into a different bank account.

See http://www.thaivisa.com/318.0.html for the visa requirements in detail.

Mike -

Instead of slogging thru the process alone, I found it far more convenient to have a visa lawyer in Bangkok handle everything for me.

Think of it like flying coach verses travelling in business class:

It's a higher level of service and comfort - at an extra cost - to get to the same destination.

The law office staff answered all my questions and guided me through the entire process - and made it almost effortless.

Got the visa with absolutely zero frustration.

The total fee I paid was 10,000 baht - that included all official and "unofficial" charges.

The only extra I paid was 50 baht for a medical exam.

And after the visa stamp was safely imprinted in my passport, I took the staff lawyer out for lunch ... two bowls of noodles: another 50 baht.

There are many visa services in Thailand.

I highly recommend the one I've used here in Bangkok.

If you want an introduction, contact me by private message.

I'm not connected to that law office in any way - just got lucky and found an honest, reliable, visa service at a fair price.

There are no unofficial charges. The fee is 1,900 baht for a Tm.7

If you want to use a service so be it - but you can do yourself in less than 6 hours for everything - bank letter (100-200 baht), medical (50-250 baht), copies (10 baht), Tm.7 and interview (and even a trip to your Embassy if you want to use the pension route but with an added cost there).