Longer Trains Desperately Needed On The BTS Sukhumvit Line

webfact

For me Khun Keree Kanjanpapas of Thanayong should be knighted or whatever they do here. I can't get a tile put down without a run around

The Skytrain to me is the greatest thing ever happened here. Travel outside the MRT/BTS areas and see how appallingly the traffic is choked.

Of course it will take forever to buy extra cars, in the meantime I suggest double the prices on the Sukhumvit Line inwards

The newbies travelling from Bearing etc will probably learn to wait until passengers alight before battling on, and those standing in the doorways will step off for a minute to allow others to alight.

It is possible see the travellers at Siam lined up like the Grenadier Guards.

Edited by metisdead
Font resized, use default forum font when posting.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last I heard from my mole inside BTS, is that the additional carriages delivered by Siemens to enable BTS to run 4-car sets, are still in the port at Laem Chabang, due to some technicalities between Siemens and BTS

"Technical difficulties" like, perhaps, they haven't paid the bill...

Or...haven't paid the proper tea money to someone to release them from customs limbo...

BTW, the above comment certainly seems to suggest that BTS continues to have plans to run 4-car sets on the Sukhumvit line...

http://www.siemens.c...mo201011005.htm

Berlin, Germany, 2010-Nov-22

Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited (BTSC) has placed a EUR42 million order with Siemens Mobility for another 35 trailer cars for the Thai capital’s elevated rapid transit system, BTS Skytrain. Train service on the Sukhumvit Line is to start gradually from the end of 2012.

The newly ordered trailer cars are to be put into service successively on the Sukhumvit Line as of the end of 2012 and lengthen the trains already in operation from 3-car to 4-car multiple units. This increase in capacity is necessary in order to cope with the dramatic rise in ridership. Currently, the BTS system transports about 460,000 people per day on the Sukhumvit Line. Each car has 4seats and standing room for 240 persons. The 750 V DC power supply comes from the conductor rail. The trailer cars are to be pre-assembled at the Siemens plant in Vienna, Austria and undergo final assembly in Bangkok. The delivery of these cars is to continue into 2013.

the fact that this info was available to anyone who can search the web is a pretty fair indicator of how poorly researched the article in the OP is.

• 2 weeks later...

At noon today, for the first time, I saw a four train car on the Sukhumvit line (going in the direction of Bearing --> Siam). No advertisements on the outside of the cars, so dont know if that means that the cars are new.

The trains that preceded it were three car, and the trains after it were three car.

Today (Monday 26thSept) my girlfriend reported long delays on the stretch from Ekkamai to Bearing at around 6pm, with trains sropped for over 5 minutes at every station even after passengers were on board and waiting, and some apologetic announcement about problems with "construction". Does this mean the new stretch is breaking up already, or has something been confused in the translation?

The Skytrain to me is the greatest thing ever happened here. Travel outside the MRT/BTS areas and see how appallingly the traffic is choked.

Actually I do a lot of travelling around Bangkok in buses and it is not so bad if you stay away from Sukhumvit <_< Expressway buses are great - I can get from Paknam to TescoLotus on Rama2 really quickly. It *really* pays to do your homework on bus numbers/routes/etc. B)

Late breaking spotting....

I rode a chinese-made set of 3 from Phayathai to Nana this morning about 6:30am. (Aircon was broken in the middle carriage)

Looks like they are moving some spare silom sets to the sukhumvit line.

Cheers

There are no CNR sets of 3 carriages, all of the 12 CNR sets are 4 carriages. I would think it highly unlikely that the BTSC would be moving a CNR set to the Suk line AND making it a 3 car set. Are you sure it was CNR rolling stock? Can you think of a reason why the BTSC would do this?

Today (Monday 26thSept) my girlfriend reported long delays on the stretch from Ekkamai to Bearing at around 6pm, with trains sropped for over 5 minutes at every station even after passengers were on board and waiting, and some apologetic announcement about problems with "construction". Does this mean the new stretch is breaking up already, or has something been confused in the translation?

Lost in translation??

The only construction taking place in that section of the line is the addition of extra stairs and escalators at On Nut station as part of the reconfiguration of the station now that it is no longer a terminal station. Can't imagine that would affect trains? Perhaps, there was a problem with the signalling system? Hard to say without knowing exactly what she heard.

Edited by Lakegeneve

<br />
<br />Today (Monday 26thSept) my girlfriend reported long delays on the stretch from Ekkamai to Bearing at around 6pm, with trains sropped for over 5 minutes at every station even after passengers were on board and waiting, and some apologetic announcement about problems with "construction".  Does this mean the new stretch is breaking up already, or has something been confused in the translation?<br />
<br />Lost in translation??<br /><br />The only construction taking place in that section of the line is the addition of extra stairs and escalators at On Nut station as part of the reconfiguration of the station now that it is no longer a terminal station. Can't imagine that would affect trains? Perhaps, there was a problem with the signalling system? Hard to say without knowing exactly what she heard.<br />

"We're very sorry to have a short delay, Hope everyone will understand, Please be patient, we have some troubles with constructions"

I'll ask her to type what she remembers in Thai later tonight...

The only construction taking place in that section of the line is the addition of extra stairs and escalators at On Nut station as part of the reconfiguration of the station now that it is no longer a terminal station. Can't imagine that would affect trains? Perhaps, there was a problem with the signalling system? Hard to say without knowing exactly what she heard.

Where are the new escalators/stairs leading to? I guess the station is less of a madhouse now? I always dreaded it at peak time.

BTW, to my surprise, I too saw what I'm pretty sure was a 4-car train from the Silom line "operating" on the Sukhumvit line the other day....

Operating in quotes because, as I was waiting at a Sukhumvit line station, I saw the Silom train pull into the station on the opposite tracks... No advertising on the exterior and when it stopped briefly, no passengers inside that I could see. I don't believe it opened its doors... Just stopped briefly and then moved onward heading from Asoke toward Siam station.

Presumably BTS was running some kind of a test or trial run.

Ya, I know... That's why I mentioned it...

After that first report, some posters here seemed to be thinking that member was mistaken ...

So I wanted to confirm the original report...since I saw the same thing....

I saw that on one day at one time... I haven't seen a repeat since then....

• 2 weeks later...

Where are the new escalators/stairs leading to? I guess the station is less of a madhouse now? I always dreaded it at peak time.

Between concourse and platform lvls.

Just started a new job Near Sala Daeng, been doing the rush hour commute from Ekkamai and back daily. It is absolutely miserable. Something must be done, but alas probably won't.

What would you suggest be done having regard to the info previously posted in this thread? Some crowd flow measures have been introduced but aside from waiting for new rolling stock taking the BTS it is still probably no worse than London, Paris or Tokyo (as 3 examples) during peak hour.

Just started a new job Near Sala Daeng, been doing the rush hour commute from Ekkamai and back daily. It is absolutely miserable. Something must be done, but alas probably won't.

What would you suggest be done having regard to the info previously posted in this thread? Some crowd flow measures have been introduced but aside from waiting for new rolling stock taking the BTS it is still probably no worse than London, Paris or Tokyo (as 3 examples) during peak hour.

Compared to the London Underground the BTS is a joy, even with the current overcrowding issues.