What Tat Is Missing In Its Campaign

maidu

Here are two photos which some young German friends sent me. It's in Cambodia but it could have been Thailand. There's a spin on this which I'll try to convey:

TAT (Thai Tourist Authority) is trying to promote Thailand, yet the lion's share of its efforts go to selling Thailand as a destination for rich tourists - so TAT sings the praises of high end resorts, golf courses, expensive restaurants, and such. What's missing is the people to people interactions. I'm not talking about interactions between tourists and hostesses or bellhops or tour guides or waitresses - most of which consists of fake smiles and lots of waiing.

What struck me about these two photos is the simple low-cost and joyful ways in which tourists can interact with locals - something that's most often missed when high rolling tourists visit. There are some things that are more dear than simply generating as many dollars and baht as possible, though TAT wouldn't be expected to grasp that concept. Another concept that TAT appears to miss is that some of the low spending backpackers of today may return to Thailand in later years to be spending more. So, an enjoyable experience by backpackers (and others they interact with) will be a win-win for everyone.

post-133023-0-77919900-1315187391_thumb.

post-133023-0-89849100-1315187408_thumb.

"There are some things that are more dear than simply generating as many dollars and baht as possible"

Nearly every Thai I have ever encountered would disagree with this ! Money rules, money talks, other than that and unless your Thai, you dont matter very much, if at all, sad, but true as its always been and always will be about the money, who's got it, how can they be relieved of it, and who's getting their cut of it..........TIT

"There are some things that are more dear than simply generating as many dollars and baht as possible"

Nearly every Thai I have ever encountered would disagree with this ! Money rules, money talks, other than that and unless your Thai, you dont matter very much, if at all, sad, but true as its always been and always will be about the money, who's got it, how can they be relieved of it, and who's getting their cut of it..........TIT

I agree with that. I've got a challenging question for any farang in Thailand, whether a tourist or long timer.

Q: do you have a friendship/relationship with any Thai person which doesn't involve money changing hands?

Before you quickly answer, "of course I do" think about it. Every friendship and personal relationship between a farang and a Thai has a money element, at least at its inception, and quite likely in its continuance.

The recent election was about money. Promises of getting more. There weren't even mention during the election of increasing taxes (few Thai pay tax on properties, particularly rich land-holders). Was there any mention, during the campaigning of environmental issues or alternative energy options or eradicating corruption? No. The crowning election issues were such things as pardoning Thaksin (so he can get money back), and minimum wage promise and guaranteed salary for graduates, and tablet computers for kids - all money issues.

I've got a challenging question for any farang in Thailand, whether a tourist or long timer.

Q: do you have a friendship/relationship with any Thai person which doesn't involve money changing hands?

Before you quickly answer, "of course I do" think about it. Every friendship and personal relationship between a farang and a Thai has a money element, at least at its inception, and quite likely in its continuance.

Let me answer your question with a question. Do you have any farang friends, family or loved ones (here or back home) where your relationship has never involved money changing hands?

Did your mate ever buy you a drink at the pub? Did your aunt ever give you some money in a Christmas card? Don't get me started on Western girlfriends/wives ..... suffice to say, money always changes hands.

I was recently given an expensive gift by a Thai who had never seen a penny of my money in any way, shape or form, who owed me nothing and could not possibly have expected anything in return. Does that count as money changing hands?

I can see this going a different direction than the original topic, but that's ok.

In farang land, camaraderie can get going from sitting on a park bench, playing frisbee, standing in a queue, a chance meeting at a picnic, any one of a number of venues which don't involve money changing hands. ....and such friendly relations can stretch on for weeks or years.

In Thailand, the farang - Thai relationship will involve money changing hands. And 29 out of 30 times it will be money from the farang to the Thai. I, as a farang, don't worry about it. I accept it, and it's not a big deal, even when Thais ask/demand more money than we originally agreed upon - which is not rare. ....or when they ask to borrow money that we both know will not get paid back.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I was taken aback by the notion that all my Thai relationships revolved around money in some way.

I have been the beneficiary of countless acts of kindness from Thais who were complete strangers to me - almost always, they won't accept any money for their troubles if I offer it. The picnic/queue/bench comparison is a little unfair, as most Thais would (correctly) not expect me to know their language, so it would be up to me to start a conversation in broken Tinglish. The language barrier is the main obstacle here.

Sure, many of my relationships with Thais have some kind of involvement with money - but I would say not more so than my relationships in my home country.

I completely agree with your original point - it's the Thai people that keep me here, although the weather and the low cost of living certainly don't hurt. Despite the cynicism that is easy to find on these forums, Thailand remains the Land of Smiles - the TAT would do well to remember this when they are promoting their country. The "high-end tourists" dump 90% of their holiday budget into their flights and hotels that are usually owned by a non-Thai multinational corporation, so it's not as if Thailand gets their hands on that much of the cash.

The backpacker types actually stay at Thai-owned hotels and eat at Thai owned restaurants - they may not have as much to spend, but they are putting a far higher percentage of their holiday money into the pockets of local Thai people.

..... The backpacker types actually stay at Thai-owned hotels and eat at Thai owned restaurants - they may not have as much to spend, but they are putting a far higher percentage of their holiday money into the pockets of local Thai people.

Plus there are many more backpackers (potentially and actually), so it's a bit like MLM, where a lot of small amounts can add up to more than a few large amounts.

But again (and we agree on this), it's more than money. It's the people to people interactions which more often occur between the multitude of backpackers than the relatively fewer moneyed tourists. Such interactions bring an exchange of ideas. Not always good ideas, but mostly good.

And there's the environment itself. Thailand has scant little natural habitat left, and once-plentiful wild animals (particularly mammals) are gone from the countryside. In their place are tens of millions of dogs, chickens and rats. I'm not saying a plethora of backpackers would help or hurt that situation, but it is clear that Thais in general and TAT in particular need to gain an appreciation for nature and wildness - and act on it. Plus, there is not one protected Wilderness Area in Thailand. Tourism is not just about people, nor is it just about revenue - though Thai tourism officials would have a tough time grasping that concept.

Edited by maidu