World'S 12 Worst Tourist Traps

lazygourmet

What destinations in Thailand take up the other 10 ??

Follow the link and all will be revealed :)

Thailand was, sadly, the only country to get two locations (assuming you don't count Hong Kong as part of China).

I agree that the floating market mentioned is a terrible tourist trap. The first time I went it was bad enough but the second time (with an ex-boss who wanted to see it) was unbearable and I will NEVER return!!

(un)Luckily, we now have TWO floating markets in Hua Hin. Somebody must like these things....if they were authentic it would be a different matter.

Perhaps they'll build a third in Hua Hin in the future...? LOL

When you consider the kinds of people it attracts and prey on tourists there I'm surprised that Sanam Luang isn't featured. Especially the pier closes to Wat Po where the Thai's just trip off tourists at every available opportunity. Didn't ask for extra but they'll put in extra and then charge you extra. Don't eat any food at these piers.

I agree that the floating market mentioned is a terrible tourist trap. The first time I went it was bad enough but the second time (with an ex-boss who wanted to see it) was unbearable and I will NEVER return!!

(un)Luckily, we now have TWO floating markets in Hua Hin. Somebody must like these things....if they were authentic it would be a different matter.

Suppose it depends on your definition of a tourist "trap". Try changing money at an exchange bureau in London. What, you missed the part in tiny print about the 8% commission ?

Try looking like a wealthy male tourist on a street corner in Soho, you will be amazed how quickly a black cab will swoop to your rescue and take you off to a nice exclusive "gentlemen's" club, nudge,nudge. After you have paid him £50 for the privilege because of the great favour he's done you, those lovely young ladies will chat to you whilst pouring you "Champagne" that strangely doesn't taste very alcoholic. 2 hours later you've had 3 glasses and the nice young men who have now appeared will guide you to an atm to collect the balance of your £500 bill that your wallet can't handle. And no you never got inside their pants either.

The next day your feeling a lot wiser, if poorer, and take yourself off down Oxford St, you spot this marvelous shopfront where they are holding a "once only" bankrupt stock auction, mystery boxes...your not going to fall for that one. Yeah but then you see the jolly Londoners and fellow tourists all around you ripping open their boxes to find all manner of goodies...wow that's an Ipad the lucky girl got for £80, can't lose can you ? So in you go and get your lucky box...cost you a bit more as people were bidding against you. The nice chaps now around you ask you not to open the box inside..."gets people too excited sir"

Thats right, you go out and examine the cheap pile of tat you have just purchased that you couldn't give away in a third world market,

Had enough by now, want to phone the wife to tell her your coming home ? Good idea, unfortunately the Romanian gypsies that were also enjoying the auction have now nicked your smartphone.

Welcome to London, but I've no doubt many of us here could name many other similar traps around the world. By comparisom the Thai's are amateurs, We had sold London Bridge, as the French had sold the Eiffel Tower, to unsuspecting American tourists when most of Bangkok was still a paddy field. :D

CNN should get out more.

looking at the original article I now see the difference between a tourist trap and ripping tourists off. A tourist trap has to be recognised as a reason to vist the country. Leaning Tower Of Pisa etc. Uk can still do well there, apart from the Winston Churchill experience in the survey we can manage Stonehenge, Madame Tussards to name but a few.

Edited by roamer

Sounds like Hua Hin is gearing up to be a Floating Market Hub :whistling:

On a positive note, the places that have not entered these lists.

Angkor Wat.

Borobudur

Royal Palace Bangkok

many more. Not suggesting you won't find touts outside these places, and I guess you would have to get up a lot earlier to avoid the crowds at Angkor than I did in @1997.

You don't have to go to the traps, I mentioned many of them in London in my earlier post. Failed to mention the British Museum (free) Natural History Museum (free) Victoria & Albert (free).

There is an authentic floating market planned for Tower Bridge in 2012. Jellied Eels , Pie n' mash, Cockles and Winkles and more, and of course Cockney serenades. Anyone want advance tickets ?

not only there but also one in Pattaya

Sounds like Hua Hin is gearing up to be a Floating Market Hub :whistling:

I live on the same soi as the new floating markets and I'm reliably informed (havent been) they sell the usual tat and overpriced noodles - They cut off my water regularly in order to put in new pipes etc - traffic is also horrible in what used to be a quiet road out to the countryside - Water shortages are regularly reported in Hua Hin but the floating markets and golf courses everywhere seem to take preference over local residents needs - This is mainly a Thai area

as a short-term 'tourist trap' I'd vote for New Zealand in the next six weeks as they host the Rugby World Cup. The home of price-gouging.

Hotel rooms increased from 6 to 10 times the usual rate; scalpers with extortionate prices for match tickets to the sold-out games, car and campervan rentals skyrocketed in price, tatty family homes being rented for $2000 per week, matches spread the length of the country but with insufficient transport available between towns (hire a car! ha ha); people who long ago confirmed bookings being told the price has now gone up (again) or that their booking is now cancelled due to a better $ offer; hotels demanding minimum two-night bookings/payment; so many Australians have chosen to commute to NZ for specific matches and fly home for the days before the next match, a lot cheaper.

From NZ Herald

During the lead-up to the Rugby World Cup, hotels have been accused of price gouging. Some are charging up to $1500 a night, 15 times their usual rates.

'Greedy' hotel prices put off Aussie RWC visitors

Aug 24, 2011

Australians are choosing to commute for Rugby World Cup weekends in New Zealand because of "greedy" hotel prices, says an Australian ticketing agent.

as a short-term 'tourist trap' I'd vote for New Zealand in the next six weeks as they host the Rugby World Cup. The home of price-gouging.

Hotel rooms increased from 6 to 10 times the usual rate; scalpers with extortionate prices for match tickets to the sold-out games, car and campervan rentals skyrocketed in price, tatty family homes being rented for $2000 per week, matches spread the length of the country but with insufficient transport available between towns (hire a car! ha ha); people who long ago confirmed bookings being told the price has now gone up (again) or that their booking is now cancelled due to a better $ offer; hotels demanding minimum two-night bookings/payment; so many Australians have chosen to commute to NZ for specific matches and fly home for the days before the next match, a lot cheaper.

From NZ Herald

During the lead-up to the Rugby World Cup, hotels have been accused of price gouging. Some are charging up to $1500 a night, 15 times their usual rates.

'Greedy' hotel prices put off Aussie RWC visitors

Aug 24, 2011

Australians are choosing to commute for Rugby World Cup weekends in New Zealand because of "greedy" hotel prices, says an Australian ticketing agent.

London, during next summer Olympics, will be 100x worst...

I am seriously considering to evict my tenants and make one year rental income within two weeks.

Borobudur

I thought Borobudur was great, its a bit of a pain when you leave and are corralled through the stalls, but at the temple itself we were there with a few local tourists and that was it. Nearby Prambanan was almost deserted when I visited a couple of years ago and thats also beautiful.

I would nominate most of Singapore, and particularly Sentosa, as Asia's biggest tourist trap. I've been coming here (to Sg) for about 15 years and this stint is the first time I have not enjoyed being here.

Londo

On a positive note, the places that have not entered these lists.

Angkor Wat.

Borobudur

Royal Palace Bangkok

many more. Not suggesting you won't find touts outside these places, and I guess you would have to get up a lot earlier to avoid the crowds at Angkor than I did in @1997.

I went to Angkor Wat a couple of weeks ago, it was fine until we veered off from the temple itself to get a bottle of water, then it became a living hell of having post cards, guide books, t-shirts, silks etc being thrust in your face every millisecond, ended up escaping without even buying any water.

:rolleyes:

My list:

Any tour of Vietnam that includes hanoi and the Ho Chi Minh museum/memorial....and basically they all do.

And the tour of the tunnel complex in Cu Chi Vietnam.

In Hanoi the trip to see the museum/memorial to Ho Chi Minh is assumed for all foriegn tourists...at least when I went there. I had asbsolutely no desire to see that, and told the guide so clearly. They agreed that I could stay in the hotel while they bussed the rest of the group to do homage to the Great Leader Ho Chi Minh.

Then when I flew to Ho Chi Minh city, it was assumed that it was a given that as a foriegner I would naturally want to see the tunnel complex in Cu Chi...and they wouldn't take a polite no, thank you as an answer. I was forced to go.

By that time I was not happy, and being forced to go on that tour, made it a point to ask the English speaking guide if I could see the particular tunnel where in 1969 my friend killed two Viet Cong in a gun battle before he was wounded and ultimately died from his wounds.

Obviously, that didn't go over very well with the Vietnamese.

Two days later I was informed that there was "something wrong" with my visa and I would have to leave Vietnam immeadiately.

I've never gone back either...although I would like to see where my Vietnamese wife died in 1975. But that probably will never happen now.

:unsure:

Suppose it depends on your definition of a tourist "trap". Try changing money at an exchange bureau in London. What, you missed the part in tiny print about the 8% commission ?

Try looking like a wealthy male tourist on a street corner in Soho, you will be amazed how quickly a black cab will swoop to your rescue and take you off to a nice exclusive "gentlemen's" club, nudge,nudge. After you have paid him £50 for the privilege because of the great favour he's done you, those lovely young ladies will chat to you whilst pouring you "Champagne" that strangely doesn't taste very alcoholic. 2 hours later you've had 3 glasses and the nice young men who have now appeared will guide you to an atm to collect the balance of your £500 bill that your wallet can't handle. And no you never got inside their pants either.

The next day your feeling a lot wiser, if poorer, and take yourself off down Oxford St, you spot this marvelous shopfront where they are holding a "once only" bankrupt stock auction, mystery boxes...your not going to fall for that one. Yeah but then you see the jolly Londoners and fellow tourists all around you ripping open their boxes to find all manner of goodies...wow that's an Ipad the lucky girl got for £80, can't lose can you ? So in you go and get your lucky box...cost you a bit more as people were bidding against you. The nice chaps now around you ask you not to open the box inside..."gets people too excited sir"

Thats right, you go out and examine the cheap pile of tat you have just purchased that you couldn't give away in a third world market,

Had enough by now, want to phone the wife to tell her your coming home ? Good idea, unfortunately the Romanian gypsies that were also enjoying the auction have now nicked your smartphone.

Welcome to London, but I've no doubt many of us here could name many other similar traps around the world. By comparisom the Thai's are amateurs, We had sold London Bridge, as the French had sold the Eiffel Tower, to unsuspecting American tourists when most of Bangkok was still a paddy field. :D

CNN should get out more.

looking at the original article I now see the difference between a tourist trap and ripping tourists off. A tourist trap has to be recognised as a reason to vist the country. Leaning Tower Of Pisa etc. Uk can still do well there, apart from the Winston Churchill experience in the survey we can manage Stonehenge, Madame Tussards to name but a few.

Why don't you give all Brits a break and immigrate, who in hell would want someone like you living in the country with your attitude, you're the type that would moan if your arse was on fire.

As I understand, the definition they used for "Tourist Trap" is something like: "A place where tourists floxk in greater numbers than it really is worth".

Hong Kong's Avenue of Stars or Tokyo Central area really fit that description. They are not bad or scams. Just not worth the time of visitors who are probably here for only a few days. So are Damnoen Saduak and Patpong. It seems every tourist who goes to Bangkok HAVE to go there, while there's really little interest to it.

Now this kind of top 10 list is arbitrary anyway, so they sure left out a lot.

As a parisian, I can tell you that going up the Arc de Triomphe is definitely a tourist trap. It's not a ripoff, but you'll queue for a while and pay a ticket to have a view you can get for free on top many many buildings in Paris (try to go on the top floor of the "Printemps" department store. You'll even find some food and seats over there)

:rolleyes:

My list:

Any tour of Vietnam that includes hanoi and the Ho Chi Minh museum/memorial....and basically they all do.

And the tour of the tunnel complex in Cu Chi Vietnam.

In Hanoi the trip to see the museum/memorial to Ho Chi Minh is assumed for all foriegn tourists...at least when I went there. I had asbsolutely no desire to see that, and told the guide so clearly. They agreed that I could stay in the hotel while they bussed the rest of the group to do homage to the Great Leader Ho Chi Minh.

Then when I flew to Ho Chi Minh city, it was assumed that it was a given that as a foriegner I would naturally want to see the tunnel complex in Cu Chi...and they wouldn't take a polite no, thank you as an answer. I was forced to go.

By that time I was not happy, and being forced to go on that tour, made it a point to ask the English speaking guide if I could see the particular tunnel where in 1969 my friend killed two Viet Cong in a gun battle before he was wounded and ultimately died from his wounds.

Obviously, that didn't go over very well with the Vietnamese.

Two days later I was informed that there was "something wrong" with my visa and I would have to leave Vietnam immeadiately.

I've never gone back either...although I would like to see where my Vietnamese wife died in 1975. But that probably will never happen now.

:unsure:

My experience of visiting HCMC, and Vietnam in general, is completely opposite to yours.

As for the highlighted section above ?????? <deleted>

Insensitive clown :blink: