Problems At Honda Garage, Hang Dong Road

ianf

Today I had my CRV serviced at the Honda Garage on the Hang Dong Road between Big C & Tesco.

My blue book was with the documents in the car which I gave to the service reception guy at 8:05 this morning.

Soon after I picked up the car at 4pm, we had just driven onto the garage forecourt (not exiting the garage) when my partner noticed that the blue book was missing.

We searched the car, then went to see the guy I had been dealing with.

He came to the car and searched again, crucially we all looked under the passenger and driver seats.

We then had a chat, at first he said he had put the blue book ON the seat. Later he said that he thought I had taken the blue book with me when I left. (impossible, I was in cycling kit and off for a 70km jaunt)

Contradictory statements. (He also said that we had driven home and left the blue book there! Impossible, as we saw him 3 minutes after picking up the car)

We then asked to speak to a Director and he looked momentarily worried.

He then asked for the key so he could drive the car to the back of the garage to find the mechanic who had serviced the car.

He drove back with the mechanic, and the mechanic looked under the passenger seat and lo & behold, found the blue book. Just like that.

It was only as I was driving away that it struck me (I know I'm a bit slow at times) that this was a well organised scam.

How many foreigners would have noticed their blue book was missing?

Now my partner does not want me to go back and complain as she said they must be part of a gang who will take action against me if I disturb them!!!!!

TWO LESSONS here: 1. Only have a photocopy of your blue book and insurance in the car. Originals at home please; 2: Use another Honda dealership!

Edited by ianf

I've never heard of mechanics stealing the blue book in order to run a scam of some sort. Even with the blue book they need your signature to transfer ownership. Sounds like the book fell off the seat and they found it later. You have been reading too many farang forums so will think the worst.

I've never heard of mechanics stealing the blue book in order to run a scam of some sort. Even with the blue book they need your signature to transfer ownership. Sounds like the book fell off the seat and they found it later. You have been reading too many farang forums so will think the worst.

The only reason I had the blue book was because it was with the car documents and the reason for that was that we had just changed 'ownership' and therefore the number of the car at the DL office. Therefore the blue book was in the folder with the car documents. It could not have fallen off the seat at the front and ended up underneath and only retrievable from the back because of the design of the underneath of the seats. And indeed we all looked under the seat and 100% it was not there. When they returned the car, after they had driven it to the back of the garage it was there.

Edited by ianf

nobody would put the blue book into the car;

a photocopy showing that taxes have been paid is sufficient

original insurance papers must be in the car

Whether it is correct or not to put the blue book in the car is not the point of this thread. But I have learnt my lesson about that and should have removed the blue book after coming back from the DL office.

Many people don't seem to understand that the bluebook is almost a public document. there is nothing secret in it, and it can be remade in just a few minutes at the land office. Don't worry about your bluebook, it is not a sacred item and there is virtually nothing anyone can do with it.

the blue book is title to the vehicle

And all it takes to replace it is a police report and about 100 baht.

Again, the point of this thread was to report something that happened. The guys may well have been innocent of anything, but to me there were too many unanswered questions such as Why did three people look under the seat and not see the book ?? (etc). Perhaps the answer was that they did it that way to save loss of face. And that might well be the answer if the blue book is not that important!

Seems to me the most obvious answer here is that the mechanic removed the paperwork from the car and then forgot to put it back in. I think the point you all forget is that when they do something stupid here they never admit it because of 'loss of face'. Any excuse or lie will do because they can never admit they are wrong about anything. TIT.

Seems to me the most obvious answer here is that the mechanic removed the paperwork from the car and then forgot to put it back in. I think the point you all forget is that when they do something stupid here they never admit it because of 'loss of face'. Any excuse or lie will do because they can never admit they are wrong about anything. TIT.

And given the scenario you describe, or similar, the mechanic took the documents out of the car for whatever reason, quite possibly legitimate or as part of a company process, then put them back and somehow the blue book got separated, no intent to do anything wrong, later discovered, nothing much said.

And all of that could have been in any country in the world, and anywhere in the world it's possible that nothing would be said, for all sorts of reasons including simple embarrassment.

And I guess you've never overlooked something and kept quiet?

Why therefore make negative statements about Thai people, not fair.

Edited by scorecard

And given the scenario you describe, or similar, the mechanic took the documents out of the car for whatever reason, quite possibly legitimate or as part of a company process, then put them back and somehow the blue book got separated, no intent to do anything wrong, later discovered, nothing much said.

And all of that could have been in any country in the world, and anywhere in the world it's possible that nothing would be said, for all sorts of reasons including simple embarrassment.

Negative statements about Thai people? Not fair? Do you know me? Do you know anything about my attitudes?

Lets look at this from another perspective: If there is a genuine Scam going on (and I only asked the question) then am I right or not to bring this to the attention of other farangs on this board?

Also, my partner, Pim, is Thai. And she absolutely thinks they were trying to scam me and was upset at my soft approach to this matter by not going to their manager.

Think before you pour scorn, my friend.

Negative statements about Thai people? Not fair? Do you know me? Do you know anything about my attitudes?

Lets look at this from another perspective: If there is a genuine Scam going on (and I only asked the question) then am I right or not to bring this to the attention of other farangs on this board?

Also, my partner, Pim, is Thai. And she absolutely thinks they were trying to scam me and was upset at my soft approach to this matter by not going to their manager.

Think before you pour scorn, my friend.

All I can add goes back to your OP and your point No 2.

While Honda products seem to be excellent, I have heard several complaints about the dealership you mention here, and nothing but good about the brand new one on the 118 (Doi Saket) road.

This being Thailand, why did Honda appoint a new one IF the old one was so dam_n good.........?

Many people don't seem to understand that the bluebook is almost a public document. there is nothing secret in it, and it can be remade in just a few minutes at the land office. Don't worry about your bluebook, it is not a sacred item and there is virtually nothing anyone can do with it.

Yeah not true.. A signature can come from anywhere, who'd really know the difference especially if a few extra bahts are enclosed in it when you hand it over to the official who's going to change it over. With it they can own your car, or at minimum it is very problematic to get a new one issued.

It (his car) could be worth a lot across the border in Myanmar and they also had his keys and could easily copy it while they had it in the shop, they also have easy access to their home address so it's not as immaterial as you think, the OP has good cause for concern..

However I would not have even let it out of my sight once I discovered the book missing why did they need to drive the car back to the garage again to find it :blink: ? And why didn't the OP go with them?..

Edited by WarpSpeed

To transfer ownership, they would also need to come up with signed copies of the farang owner's passport and a residency certificate. Not likely.

Yeah not true.. A signature can come from anywhere, who'd really know the difference especially if a few extra bahts are enclosed in it when you hand it over to the official who's going to change it over. With it they can own your car, or at minimum it is very problematic to get a new one issued.

It (his car) could be worth a lot across the border in Myanmar and they also had his keys and could easily copy it while they had it in the shop, they also have easy access to their home address so it's not as immaterial as you think, the OP has good cause for concern..

However I would not have even let it out of my sight once I discovered the book missing why did they need to drive the car back to the garage again to find it :blink: ? And why didn't the OP go with them?..

To transfer ownership, they would also need to come up with signed copies of the farang owner's passport and a residency certificate. Not likely.

This year alone I have purchased 2 trucks and did not have all the paperwork. Missing ID card copies or expired, Both times with 2000 Bt the trucks were quickly transfered into my name.

The shop had the address where the car sits

they had keys

and with a book and a few thousand baht, could have a new title.

Drive down south or drive over the boarder and poof ! Gone.

Persaonally I would worry. And never have a book in my car or truck or motorbike.

This is Thailand and things can happen for a little tea

Maybe it was not the shop itself, but maybe someone who worked there or a friend of a friends ?

Worry - And for those who don't, give me your book for safe keeping and in a few hours your car will be mine !

the blue book is title to the vehicle

And all it takes to replace it is a police report and about 100 baht.

You do not need a police report for a lost blue book.

I know because I lost mine once :)

Yeah cos those signatures are really held and checked against the files !!

I find the bank doesnt even check my signature well when taking money out. Farang face + farang name in book = give them the money.