Problems At Honda Garage, Hang Dong Road

ianf

Many people don't seem to understand that the bluebook is almost a public document. there is nothing secret in it, and it can be remade in just a few minutes at the land office. Don't worry about your bluebook, it is not a sacred item and there is virtually nothing anyone can do with it.

Yeah not true.. A signature can come from anywhere, who'd really know the difference especially if a few extra bahts are enclosed in it when you hand it over to the official who's going to change it over. With it they can own your car, or at minimum it is very problematic to get a new one issued.

It (his car) could be worth a lot across the border in Myanmar and they also had his keys and could easily copy it while they had it in the shop, they also have easy access to their home address so it's not as immaterial as you think, the OP has good cause for concern..

However I would not have even let it out of my sight once I discovered the book missing why did they need to drive the car back to the garage again to find it :blink: ? And why didn't the OP go with them?..

Someone I know has recently bought a car, had the book put in his name.. And soon after someones come out the woodwork claiming to still own the car and that the book and name change was unauthorized. It feels like a netaly set up scam where the claimant seems too smooth and the seller having vanished.

To transfer ownership, they would also need to come up with signed copies of the farang owner's passport and a residency certificate. Not likely.

Many people don't seem to understand that the bluebook is almost a public document. there is nothing secret in it, and it can be remade in just a few minutes at the land office. Don't worry about your bluebook, it is not a sacred item and there is virtually nothing anyone can do with it.

Yeah not true.. A signature can come from anywhere, who'd really know the difference especially if a few extra bahts are enclosed in it when you hand it over to the official who's going to change it over. With it they can own your car, or at minimum it is very problematic to get a new one issued.

It (his car) could be worth a lot across the border in Myanmar and they also had his keys and could easily copy it while they had it in the shop, they also have easy access to their home address so it's not as immaterial as you think, the OP has good cause for concern..

However I would not have even let it out of my sight once I discovered the book missing why did they need to drive the car back to the garage again to find it :blink: ? And why didn't the OP go with them?..

Or a few 100b to overlook such errors..

I have transferred bike books with nothing more than the book.. No Thai ID.. No signed papers.. No anything.. Just the tabien and a small 'fee' and voila.. in your name.

the blue book is title to the vehicle

And all it takes to replace it is a police report and about 100 baht.

You do not need a police report for a lost blue book.

I know because I lost mine once :)

Must depend on office then.. Phuket requires / required one..

As ever.. theres rules and theres on the ground application.

To transfer ownership, they would also need to come up with signed copies of the farang owner's passport and a residency certificate. Not likely.

Having read about all of the scams and corruption in Thailand just here in TV alone it often makes me wonder just what country most people who post here REALLY live in??? What a bunch of saps just waiting to be taken advantage of, the mind boggles :lol: ...

Or a few 100b to overlook such errors..

I have transferred bike books with nothing more than the book.. No Thai ID.. No signed papers.. No anything.. Just the tabien and a small 'fee' and voila.. in your name.

Yeah I tired to get that point across but as usual it went right over their heads :rolleyes: .

Edited by WarpSpeed

Someone I know has recently bought a car, had the book put in his name.. And soon after someones come out the woodwork claiming to still own the car and that the book and name change was unauthorized. It feels like a netaly set up scam where the claimant seems too smooth and the seller having vanished.

This year alone I have purchased 2 trucks and did not have all the paperwork. Missing ID card copies or expired, Both times with 2000 Bt the trucks were quickly transfered into my name.

The shop had the address where the car sits

they had keys

and with a book and a few thousand baht, could have a new title.

Drive down south or drive over the boarder and poof ! Gone.

Persaonally I would worry. And never have a book in my car or truck or motorbike.

This is Thailand and things can happen for a little tea

Maybe it was not the shop itself, but maybe someone who worked there or a friend of a friends ?

Worry - And for those who don't, give me your book for safe keeping and in a few hours your car will be mine !

Buuuuuutttt we're just paranoid!! :whistling:

The highlighted line above is so true too and it always amazes me how some people think EVERYONE in a given place of business is beyond reproach just because they work there. You don't even get those assurances in the west let alone here.. It's impossible for them to police so personal due diligence is the only answer..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I had an accident with a scooter a few months back while driving my car.... (Just for note, the scooter pulled in front of me while I was doing 110 kph down the super highway. I tried to avoid her but there was no way. Luckily she was wearing a helmet and only sustained a little road rash. She did spend 2 nights in the hospital as it appeared she suffered a pulled groin. She was 49 and had no license. The police was fair and found her at fault...lucky me the farang.)...... Just last week I took the car to the Honda place the OP mentions for repairs. It was going to take them a week so I rented a car. A week later as scheduled I went to pick up my car. It was done and a great job they did but I was informed that the mirror cover that needed to be replaced was on order from BKK where it would take about a week to get and they would call me when it came in. Needless to say three weeks passed by and no call. I had the wife call them. They said yes the cover had arrived and to bring my car in to have it put on. I did and now my car is fully repaired.

All good service with exception to the following:

1) Never did receive a call when the mirror cover arrived as they said they would, I had to pursue them.

2) Only one woman arranging for body repair and the initial wait to schedule it was well over an hour when there was only 1other in queue before me.

3) I have a little compartment where I stash a few baht for parking fees. I definitely made sure that I emptied it all with the exception of leaving a 20 baht note testing the trust of the employees. Needless to say, the 20 baht was gone. No I wouldn't had mind if it was 20 baht laying out in the open on the floor or the seat but this tells me that they snoop through the entire car and will take anything.

NOTE: I told my Thai friends about the 20 baht test and they said that it would be there when I got my car back... They said it would be a different story if I left 100 baht. Goes to show the Thais don't know their own people...... Perhaps the next time I'll leave 50 satang.....laugh.gif

Seems to me the most obvious answer here is that the mechanic removed the paperwork from the car and then forgot to put it back in. I think the point you all forget is that when they do something stupid here they never admit it because of 'loss of face'. Any excuse or lie will do because they can never admit they are wrong about anything. TIT.

And given the scenario you describe, or similar, the mechanic took the documents out of the car for whatever reason, quite possibly legitimate or as part of a company process, then put them back and somehow the blue book got separated, no intent to do anything wrong, later discovered, nothing much said.

And all of that could have been in any country in the world, and anywhere in the world it's possible that nothing would be said, for all sorts of reasons including simple embarrassment.

And I guess you've never overlooked something and kept quiet?

Why therefore make negative statements about Thai people, not fair.

Negative statements about Thai people? Not fair? Do you know me? Do you know anything about my attitudes?

Lets look at this from another perspective: If there is a genuine Scam going on (and I only asked the question) then am I right or not to bring this to the attention of other farangs on this board?

Also, my partner, Pim, is Thai. And she absolutely thinks they were trying to scam me and was upset at my soft approach to this matter by not going to their manager.

Think before you pour scorn, my friend.

True, I don't know you and ....

I also have used the same garage on numerous occasions and I cannot fault their professionalism and their desire to give good service and to do everything correctly.

Only a few months ago I returned to CM from a project in Bkk, and without talking to my family I took the car in for an oil change. What I didn't know was that my Thai son had changed the oil and filters about 2 days previously, at the same garage.

The reception guy asked me what I needed, he took the keys etc., and asked me if I would like to wait in their lounge.

About 5 minutes later he returned in a panic and explained 'but it was all changed 2 days ago'. In the meantime he had told one of the girls to call my son, the girl arrived quickly also in a panic and asked me to talk to my son.

Order form for service all quickly canceled, everybody happy.

Edited by scorecard

I used to use that garage for servicing and found them nothing but polite and professional.

When last did you have have your car serviced at this Honda? I took my car there yesterday, After waiting one hour for them to print the documents regarding the 50,000km service, I requested my keys back and I left....Terrible service.

The service has really gone down at this Honda garage.

I recently sold and bought a used car. I thought I could get by without showing a residency certificate, since my name and address were already in the bluebook for the car I was selling. No way. The people at the Chiang Mai L&T office were adamant that everything had to be just so. They said if I was Thai, I would have to show my tabian baan to buy or sell.

Not many ferangs have the blue book in their name. My Wife Says So.:D

What does that mean? Are you under the impression that foreigners can't hold title to their own vehicles in Thailand? I own two vehicles and both are in my name. In fact every foreigner I know here who owns a vehicle holds title to their own vehicle.

I'm sure you're wife's right to a certain extent, maybe she's trying to make sure you don't have one........no reason at all why a farang can't own a car with the correct documentation. I've had several cars and every one of them has been in my name.

I'm sure you're wife's right to a certain extent, maybe she's trying to make sure you don't have one........no reason at all why a farang can't own a car with the correct documentation. I've had several cars and every one of them has been in my name.

Dont teach Grandmother to suck Eggs. 90% of ferangs have the first car in G.F.s name.Then they find out from other ferangs its all <deleted>, and they can have it in their name.Dont get mad just because you were one of them. The Cap Fits perfectly for some, hence some barbed replies.

OP, I would be suspicious as well…..I read some genuine posts that see you as being paranoid and a lot of hecklers whom just smell blood and want to give you a kicking.

Why do you think police will accept copies of all document for the vehicle? Original documents, (any) can be very valuable to the bad guys.

I find it funny that in the defense of the Honda dealership, some are stating how good the service is……… Interesting concept, conmen and thieves,working within the dealership not being up front about their game plan!

I would have thought if individuals within the dealership were working for a car stealing ring, they would be easy to spot! Do you think? :whistling:

'Warpspeed' makes a very good point. If your car went missing, (stolen) say 2months after a service at Honda……….Would you make a connection?

OP….Never leave your original documents in the car again, cheap lesson…………………This time.

….And before anyone spits there dummy out, I'm not inferring the Honda dealership has anything to do with scamming.

What does that mean? Are you under the impression that foreigners can't hold title to their own vehicles in Thailand? I own two vehicles and both are in my name. In fact every foreigner I know here who owns a vehicle holds title to their own vehicle.

I think he was having a joke hence the big smiley face. chill out a bit!!!

I think he was having a joke hence the big smiley face. chill out a bit!!!

I figured he was being sarcastic also until his later post - "90% of ferangs have the first car in G.F.s name". Guess if you know two farangs, one with it in his name and one in the GF's name than that means 50% of farangs don't have it in their name. ;)

first of all the blue book should - like others pointed out not be in the car - but in a safe place at home. the problem with car companies here is that as long as everything - service, repairs - goes smooth all is well. as soon as they screw up they avoid showing responsibility.

I don't know if it is coincidence but when I bought a brand new Honda Civic a few years back – the car had been stored at the Honda garage and was covered in dust (from the transport?) – when the day of the handover came somebody very clever at Honda had cleaned it without rinsing the dust /sand particles off the car first – the car then was covered into a beautiful shiny wet coat of wax to hide the damage – and handed over. Of course it looked so shiny and new that we only noticed later that the entire car was covered with tiny scratches.

We went back to Honda and complained – although we had not done anything to the car – Honda said it was not them who caused the damage – needless to say I told them they would never see me again as a customer – they obviously didn’t care either.

When we found out that a new Honda showroom had just opened in another part of Chiang Mai – we checked it out and decided to have the regular service done there.

The manager there looked at the damage to the paint and said the only thing we could do is get it regularly waxed with a special wax and they could provide this (quite expensive) service – so we purchased a treatment consisting of several applications over the next year or so.

The car was returned to us after service and treatment – and it looked better – until we parked it for the first time in bright sunlight! The paint was not only scratched now – but had the swirls of an obviously defect polishing machine all over! After confronting them – it was of course – not their fault!

They would also not refund the treatments which we did now of course not want anymore.

Needless to say that was the last Honda I have bought - it is not that things like this cannot happen with any other brand of car– it was the absolute denial of responsibility for damage they caused – which drove me as a customer away!

first of all the blue book should - like others pointed out not be in the car - but in a safe place at home. the problem with car companies here is that as long as everything - service, repairs - goes smooth all is well. as soon as they screw up they avoid showing responsibility.

I don't know if it is coincidence but when I bought a brand new Honda Civic a few years back – the car had been stored at the Honda garage and was covered in dust (from the transport?) – when the day of the handover came somebody very clever at Honda had cleaned it without rinsing the dust /sand particles off the car first – the car then was covered into a beautiful shiny wet coat of wax to hide the damage – and handed over. Of course it looked so shiny and new that we only noticed later that the entire car was covered with tiny scratches.

We went back to Honda and complained – although we had not done anything to the car – Honda said it was not them who caused the damage – needless to say I told them they would never see me again as a customer – they obviously didn't care either.

When we found out that a new Honda showroom had just opened in another part of Chiang Mai – we checked it out and decided to have the regular service done there.

The manager there looked at the damage to the paint and said the only thing we could do is get it regularly waxed with a special wax and they could provide this (quite expensive) service – so we purchased a treatment consisting of several applications over the next year or so.

The car was returned to us after service and treatment – and it looked better – until we parked it for the first time in bright sunlight! The paint was not only scratched now – but had the swirls of an obviously defect polishing machine all over! After confronting them – it was of course – not their fault!

They would also not refund the treatments which we did now of course not want anymore.

Needless to say that was the last Honda I have bought - it is not that things like this cannot happen with any other brand of car– it was the absolute denial of responsibility for damage they caused – which drove me as a customer away!

Sorry 'Cnxforever', but you have been ripped off, (I think you know that now)….Expensive treatment my ass! OP, have you never heard of 'T-Cut'

T-Cut or Similar to T-Cut, they sell everything else for a car in Thailand!

It's cheap, one application, then polish…Job done.

Edited by Tonto21

going back to the original post -

if someone has possession of the blue book - they could transfer ownership of the vehicle like wise they can raise credit ( a loan) against it at a finance company then failure to pay, results in the vehicle being taken back by the finance company........ easy really to make some money!!