Fastest Way From Airport To Kata

modafinil

Could be. In that case it would be nice if he were to accept other's experiences.

I have accepted your experiences, and am very happy that so many people contributed to the thread.

Edited by LivinginKata
Reply to a remark already deleted also deleted

Could be. In that case it would be nice if he were to accept other's experiences.

I have accepted your experiences, and am very happy that so many people contributed to the thread.

Must admit all my mentioned experiences mentioned here are by car. Have done it by motorbike (100 cc but a tsunami victim with a replacement engine, could also be 110 or 125 now) a few times, did not time, but my guestimate would be (from Rawai and Kata) the coastal road is much nicer but also takes longer than via Chalong circle. I would drive around 80 km/h on the main road with the bike.

I took my wife to the airport last year from Chalong circle

In medium density traffic traveling in the centre lane and keeping up with the traffic

The only vehicles or bikes that passed me were airport limousines and mini buses

One high powered bike and a few dangerous drivers weaving in and out of the traffic

and only gaining one or two car lengths by driving this way

It took me 55 minutes to get to the airport and 50 minutes to return to Chalong

I do not believe anyone who says they can get from the airport to Chalong in 45 minutes

on a moped, i have never seen a moped keeping up with traffic in the centre lane

Strictly speaking it took me 47 minutes to get onto the circle itself from the airport, since I spent a couple of minutes just before the circle waiting around for traffic. This was on an old 110cc automatic moped.

You can choose to believe whatever you wish. What sort of person times his journeys? The same kind of person that starts this kind of thread I suppose. I would propose a friendly wager, but of course this is not possible in Thailand. If you managed it in 50 minutes why is it so extraordinary that I can do it in 47? On the level, the top speed of the moped is 100km/h, although it could go faster down a hill. Your top speed may be faster, but bikes have the opportunity to jump queues at traffic lights and overtake in places that cars cannot.

It's a shame that this thread took on a hostile tone, but mai bpen rai - live and let live. I accept that people on thaivisa are not obliged to be friendly to me.

In medium density traffic traveling in the centre lane and keeping up with the traffic

The only vehicles or bikes that passed me were airport limousines and mini buses

One high powered bike and a few dangerous drivers weaving in and out of the traffic

I do not believe anyone who says they can get from the airport to Chalong in 45 minutes

on a moped, i have never seen a moped keeping up with traffic in the centre lane

Must admit all my mentioned experiences mentioned here are by car. Have done it by motorbike (100 cc but a tsunami victim with a replacement engine, could also be 110 or 125 now) a few times, did not time, but my guestimate would be (from Rawai and Kata) the coastal road is much nicer but also takes longer than via Chalong circle. I would drive around 80 km/h on the main road with the bike.

I agree. The person who originally asked me the question will be travelling by hire car, so I will recommend the Chalong circle route despite the lack of scenery. It's also easier to give directions for, which helps.

Strictly speaking it took me 47 minutes to get onto the circle itself from the airport, since I spent a couple of minutes just before the circle waiting around for traffic. This was on an old 110cc automatic moped.

You can choose to believe whatever you wish. What sort of person times his journeys? The same kind of person that starts this kind of thread I suppose. I would propose a friendly wager, but of course this is not possible in Thailand. If you managed it in 50 minutes why is it so extraordinary that I can do it in 47? On the level, the top speed of the moped is 100km/h, although it could go faster down a hill. Your top speed may be faster, but bikes have the opportunity to jump queues at traffic lights and overtake in places that cars cannot.

It's a shame that this thread took on a hostile tone, but mai bpen rai - live and let live. I accept that people on thaivisa are not obliged to be friendly to me.

I timed the journey because of times people claim to have taken to travel to the airport on this forum :)

I have definitely travelled on the roads - 15,000km in Phuket last year. In heavyish traffic on a moped, it takes me 45 minutes to get to Chalong circle from Phuket Airport. If my final destination was Karon circle, then it would probably take me just under an hour. I get from the airport to Patong under similar circumstances (coast road) in 45 minutes - again, I would expect to get to Karon circle in just under an hour.

As soon as you get in a car (or on a fast motorbike) the Chalong circle route has got to be the fastest route because of the higher top speed - and in the car, the coast road means that a couple of slow trucks will ruin your journey time.

I get to the Tesco Lotus on the bypass road from the airport in about 30 minutes - so another 15 minutes to Patong sounds about right, unless the BIB are "helping" with the traffic in Patong, in which case there could be a 5km tailback :) (yes, I've seen stationary traffic stretching back to the bottom of Patong hill up to the police station).

Yes, I was a little embarrassed about my "consensus" post - always a bad idea posting after a few beers ......

You have certainly made me reconsider my use of the coast road though - thanks for the help!

Are you seriously saying you get to Tesco Lotus from the airport in 30mins?? how long will it be before you are just another statistic!!

Are you seriously saying you get to Tesco Lotus from the airport in 30mins?? how long will it be before you are just another statistic!!

Agree, driving too slowly is very dangerous, in spite of what your girlfriend may say.

Agree, driving too slowly is very dangerous, in spite of what your girlfriend may say.

you consider driving slowly more dangerous than driving very fast!! I consider driving at between 40/60kph a very safe speed all over the built up areas of Phuket, I consider 60/80 kph to be a safe speed when driving else where!! have you ever wondered why so many people die here, speed kills!!!

28 minutes with fairly heavy traffic. Yeah, it's pretty stupid. I have slowed down a bit recently, I'm trying to drive a bit more defensively. It's tricky on the fast roads though - most of the Thais are pootling along at 50 km/h, so if I try to go at 70-80 I am constantly dodging between the slow lane and the bike lane. If I do 100 I am at least keeping up with the traffic flow and won't get rear-ended by an SUV.

Time to buy a car!

28 minutes with fairly heavy traffic. Yeah, it's pretty stupid. I have slowed down a bit recently, I'm trying to drive a bit more defensively. It's tricky on the fast roads though - most of the Thais are pootling along at 50 km/h, so if I try to go at 70-80 I am constantly dodging between the slow lane and the bike lane. If I do 100 I am at least keeping up with the traffic flow and won't get rear-ended by an SUV.

Time to buy a car!

Good thought about getting a car!! seriously though it's not worth driving fast it will just get you in to big trouble. slow driving but not to slow will keep you safe,

Being friendly on TV is something some people find difficult. hiding behind a computer makes these people very brave!! give as good as you get or ignore them, consequently you can wind them up!!! personally I just think these people that are nasty are just sad individuals!! it costs nothing to be polite!!

Being friendly on TV is something some people find difficult. hiding behind a computer makes these people very brave!! give as good as you get or ignore them, consequently you can wind them up!!! personally I just think these people that are nasty are just sad individuals!! it costs nothing to be polite!!

Having a difference of opinion is not hiding behind a computer Kenny, i never say anything on a computer

that i would not say to a person face to face :angry:

Although there are people on this forum who do hide behind a computer :D

you consider driving slowly more dangerous than driving very fast!! I consider driving at between 40/60kph a very safe speed all over the built up areas of Phuket, I consider 60/80 kph to be a safe speed when driving else where!! have you ever wondered why so many people die here, speed kills!!!

because of people like you blocking the way and passing other slower car at slowspeed while the fast lane should be for fast drivers

because of people like you blocking the way and passing other slower car at slowspeed while the fast lane should be for fast drivers

First of all I do not block any ones way as I am on a motor bike and always drive on the left, the fast lane is for faster vehicles but not for lunatics, their is also the considerate speed to drive at that does not contain the flashing of lights and hand waving trying to get people to move out of your way!!! just because this is Thailand where the police do not seem to care this does not mean you have to go so fast as to endanger the lives of other people on the roads!! slow down, think of others and be considerate!!

Having a difference of opinion is not hiding behind a computer Kenny, i never say anything on a computer

that i would not say to a person face to face :angry:

Although there are people on this forum who do hide behind a computer :D

Yes I agree with you Peter, having a difference of opinion is indeed a good thing providing you keep it civil which as you know is impossible for a minority on here!! people who hide behind there computers and have a different life on here to what is real are very sad, I am who I am and I say what I have which is not a lot!!! but I am happy!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Since I did the journey today (on my 110cc scooter) I thought I would time it. This was on Saturday afternoon, medium traffic.

From the airport:

25 minutes 15 seconds to the big Tesco Lotus

41 minutes 5 seconds to Chalong Circle

51 minutes 20 seconds to Karon Circle

So Kata would have been about 47 minutes.

Unless my journey was some wild fantasy, it appears that you are mistaken Mr Callen.

The humor and wit went right over your head. By the way, I have not seen an actual moped here in Thailand for many years. Maybe most folks here are too young to know what a moped is. OK...now I feel better

Since I did the journey today (on my 110cc scooter) I thought I would time it. This was on Saturday afternoon, medium traffic.

From the airport:

Unless my journey was some wild fantasy, it appears that you are mistaken Mr Callen.

How many red traffic lights did you run to prove your point Mr modafinil :)

From the airport:

Last week, very early morning by car, cruise control at 100: Tesco to airport 18 minutes, ran no red lights.

From the airport:

Last week, very early morning by car, cruise control at 100: Tesco to airport 18 minutes, ran no red lights.

sounds about right, I schedule 45 minutes by car if not rush hours, and is usually spot on, or less if no traffic at all.

I was lucky with the lights - every light was green until the big crossroads at Central Festival. Hit a few more reds between there and Chalong Circle.

So you could add a few minutes to my time up to Tesco Lotus to allow for the luck factor.

Edited by modafinil

Very early morning there is no traffic and most traffic lights are set to proceed with caution

18 minutes from Tesco to the airport hardly included "proceed with caution" moments. :)

Funny in a way.. We like to say that Phuket is full of crazy drivers.. and then compete how fast one can travel some distances..

Funny in a way.. We like to say that Phuket is full of crazy drivers.. and then compete how fast one can travel some distances..

If I were to do that I would not have set the cruise control to 100 (k/h), but not set at all or at 160.

We are simply trying to convince somebody here, not easy, but we can only try, that 45 minutes from airport to Kata is very realistic and does not require any kind of speeding.

If I were to do that I would not have set the cruise control to 100 (k/h), but not set at all or at 160.

We are simply trying to convince somebody here, not easy, but we can only try, that 45 minutes from airport to Kata is very realistic and does not require any kind of speeding.

for once I agree with stevenl :D

kata to airport is usually 45 minutes going with the flow, no speeding, no tailgating, no overtaking except where dual lanes allows it safely, no running red lights. at least twice a month for 8 years

must admit when no traffic, I go faster and thus use less time, still in safety ;)

As i said in a previous post, i have timed it once, traffic medium to heavy at 11am in the morning

You have varied your opinion in different posts on this topic you will not convince me of anything

The maximum speed you can travel at safely in phuket in my opinion is 100KPH not 160KPH as i think you know

I do not agree with a lot of things posted on this forum, thats called having your own opinion

The next time i travel to the airport i will time it again which is not in the foreseeable future

I will keep up with the traffic flow but i will not drive dangerously or recklessly