Hello, Good Looking !

JurgenG

Economic studies have shown that being ugly will cost you around $230,000 in lost earnings during your professional lifetime.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/28/opinion/sunday/ugly-you-may-have-a-case.html?ref=discrimination

In Thailand, do you think look matters more or less than in your home country ?

I personally believe that the way you dress and behave influences greatly the way people treat you.

Will you be willing to improve the way you look, no plastic surgery, just dress better, if it's proven that it could really improve the way people respect you in LOS ?

Yes ... standard of dress has a big impact here.

When I have meetings at work and put on some decent clothes, I get treated differently in shops and even in my own office. But it's too hot to wear a suit and I now feel like I'm being strangled if I put a tie on.

Has anyone else found that they've forgotten how to tie a tie and have to really concentrate to make it look decent?

In Thailand....if you have shed loads of money to hand out.....no one will give a f*kc what you look like....

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

There are quite a few people who are wealthy and looks certainly haven't played a part. I think (in my opinion) there are quite a few people who are unique (for want of a better word) and have got ahead because of it. I don't mean unique as ugly but basically for some reason they stand out. Sometimes personality rather than looks.

In Thailand....if you have shed loads of money to hand out.....no one will give a f*kc what you look like....

Is there many people in Thailand that have a lot of money and dress like a tramp ? I don't think so.

Yes ... standard of dress has a big impact here.

When I have meetings at work and put on some decent clothes, I get treated differently in shops and even in my own office.

Agree with that. Even in our Isaan house I change to a polo shirt and a decent trouser before going out. It's true I'm treated differently according to the way I dress, even in my Issan village. Since I realized that, I pay more attention.

I know a few people who are extremely wealthy and dress like poor people but these are island folk and everyone knows who they are. When they go off-island they dress appropriately.

For most Thai people, polite dress and demeanor is vital and its only some farang who think it doesn't matter if they wear a singlet and shorts with socks and sandals.

I know a few people who are extremely wealthy and dress like poor people but these are island folk and everyone knows who they are. When they go off-island they dress appropriately.

For most Thai people, polite dress and demeanor is vital and its only some farang who think it doesn't matter if they wear a singlet and shorts with socks and sandals.

Completely agree with you SBK

Thai people when they are travelling abroad are always dressing up.

As politically incorrect as it is, people judging each other based on looks alone is a reality.

Being a realist I have learned to accept that people judge us on how we look, how we behave and how we interact with others.

Removing how we behave and interact with others from the equation for a moment, people will initially interact with us based on how we look; the ‘First Impression’.

If this is good it is likely we will be treated far more favorably. As such it could be said that ‘looking good’ helps us over ride and avoid those little issues that often irritate.

Looking good is far more than simply being handsome or pretty, I suspect looking good refers to the whole package and dressing suitably for the location; Image.

These days dressing down also adds a little mix into this mêlée - but it is done in a manner that continues to portray a positive image (singlet and shorts simply do not cut this unless at the beach).

In a shallow society such as Thailand (and much of the world today), the show of wealth is the factor in most fashion and how people will treat you.

A lot of foreigners in Thailand fit into a slightly different category, it’s almost understood that a lot of us don’t try to play this game of image, there are however limitations...…

And going back to the handsome / pretty factor… Yes, I’m sure things are easier for the ‘prettier’ but to such a financially significant amount? US$230,000 ??? (that’s about 3,300 $ per year (Av. 70 y/o).

I know of twins – one is a cute little boy who receives plenty of attention. The other is more shy and receives less attention, as a consequence he is naughtier…

The pretty boy will grow up with more confidence, more attention and things are more likely to go his way, this could well have immeasurable implications on his future.

Edited by richard_smith237

As politically incorrect as it is, people judging each other based on looks alone is a reality.

Being a realist I have learned to accept that people judge us on how we look, how we behave and how we interact with others.

Removing how we behave and interact with others from the equation for a moment, people will initially interact with us based on how we look; the ‘First Impression’.

If this is good it is likely we will be treated far more favorably. As such it could be said that ‘looking good’ helps us over ride and avoid those little issues that often irritate.

Looking good is far more than simply being handsome or pretty, I suspect looking good refers to the whole package and dressing suitably for the location; Image.

These days dressing down also adds a little mix into this mêlée - but it is done in a manner that continues to portray a positive image (singlet and shorts simply do not cut this unless at the beach).

In a shallow society such as Thailand (and much of the world today), the show of wealth is the factor in most fashion and how people will treat you.

A lot of foreigners in Thailand fit into a slightly different category, it’s almost understood that a lot of us don’t try to play this game of image, there are however limitations...…

Indoors and when fishing i wear whatever is comfortable. But when i go out a good pair of jeans and a real brand name t shirt and shoes. But you wont catch me dead in a suit. These times are over for me.

Wearing "good clothes" or being ugly doesnt really matter,,,,

If you are rich/monied you dont really care what people think of you.

Classic example ... When Ivana Trupm was interviwed on TV she was asked the question "what first attracted you to the multibiliorne Donald Trump" mmmmmmmm

Nuff said

I agree with the OP, you don't have to dress like a pimp to make a good impression, but clean, neat clothes that look nice does attract positive attention. There are certain clothes that when I wear them usually get a nice, honest response from the ladies. And, I don't mean the usual... "Hello hansum man". I'm talking from women that I know personally and who are not hitting on me. The only time I wear suits is at weddings or funerals, and at my age I attend more funerals than weddings.

How do poor people dress exactly?

Walking about in Carrefour / Lotus early evening you’ll see plenty of Thais dressed in shorts, flip flops (without socks) and polo and looking at the stuff they’re buying I wouldn’t class them as poor.

Been coming to Thailand for many years and all the ladies call me Hansome man so it must be true.rolleyes.gif

On the other hand if many people start calling you a horse ,,then maybe its time for you to buy a Saddle whistling.gif

Edited by welsh1

Actually I think we have spectacularly missed the point of the article. It was about better looking people having an advantage and not better dressed. In other words, whats in the clothes and not the actual bling. Can't dress mutton as lamb etc

Walking about in Carrefour / Lotus early evening you’ll see plenty of Thais dressed in shorts, flip flops (without socks) and polo and looking at the stuff they’re buying I wouldn’t class them as poor.

Well, the couple I had in mind particularly dressed in ragged and stained old clothes with holes in them and drove a crapped out motorbike that was about 20 years old. But perhaps you had something else in mind?

And as for the idea that good looking people get further ahead, only so long as they have brains to carry them. Unless you are super model goodlooking, looks generally only get you so far.

Walking about in Carrefour / Lotus early evening you'll see plenty of Thais dressed in shorts, flip flops (without socks) and polo and looking at the stuff they're buying I wouldn't class them as poor.

I am a Falang and i go shopping all the time in short and flip flops...does that mean i am poor !

Walking about in Carrefour / Lotus early evening you'll see plenty of Thais dressed in shorts, flip flops (without socks) and polo and looking at the stuff they're buying I wouldn't class them as poor.

I am a Falang and i go shopping all the time in short and flip flops...does that mean i am poor !

Nope ... just a slob :D

You’re picking holes. We all know the point SBK is making without the need for her to spell it out in quite the literal detail you are pedantically asking for.

If you wish to make a comparison, go to Tesco’s, then go to Gourmet market, compare how those people are dressed, then compare how they are treated. Follow them if you like, see if they end up in the same shop, see how they are treated then… repeat 1000’s of times, I’m quite sure a pattern would arise where the ‘better dressed / more appropriately dressed’ person will receive better level of service / treatment, regardless of their income bracket.

yes funny how we suddenly equate poor with flip flops and singlets isn't it? If you read the entire second sentence you will see:

Even if I am just going to town I always change out of work clothes and into something clean and tidy. Appearance does matter, and it is more than just how much gold you have on. We as human beings almost always judge someone by their appearance no matter how hard we try not to. See a big guy wearing rough clothes walking down the dark street and I will probably cross to the other side even though he may be perfectly nice.

I have always been of the mind that being having a certain amount of wealth allows you more freedoms of choice. One of them is to dress how you are comfortable. I too like sbk know many people who when in familiar surrounding dress in what we call comfort clothes. But when they fly to New York or Tokyo for business they dress to suit the situation. A case in point. When my associate who sailed around the world none stop single handed, will wear a favorite shirt out sailing with a badly frayed collar and old stains on it.. But when he went to New York and London to honored by the Queen he wore a tux.

Sure, but for most of those down-dressing Farangs it truly doesn't matter, because they're either tourists or retired and don't really have to care what anyone thinks. They're not trying to do business or sell anything to anyone..

So I would actually agree with those Farangs that it doesn't matter what they wear, as long as their dress is not hugely inappropriate for the occasion.

Sure, but for most of those down-dressing Farangs it truly doesn't matter, because they're either tourists or retired and don't really have to care what anyone thinks. They're not trying to do business or sell anything to anyone..

So I would actually agree with those Farangs that it doesn't matter what they wear, as long as their dress is not hugely inappropriate for the occasion.

True. We can wear what we like, within reason, but I agree with the OP and others that you will notice a difference if you dress well. That does not mean a suit and tie, but clean, pressed clothes that show you at least put some thought into what you are wearing will help make everyday actions easier. And not wearing board shorts, beach gear or sports shorts in a city also helps. The little things like getting tables in restaurants, taking back faulty products, negotiations with the BIB, visa applications, bank queries etc will all be easier.

See a big guy wearing rough clothes walking down the dark street and I will probably cross to the other side even though he may be perfectly nice.

Ah, so THAT is why you crossed the street when you saw me coming. :o

But then maybe you just recognized me. :lol:

Actually I think we have spectacularly missed the point of the article. It was about better looking people having an advantage and not better dressed. In other words, whats in the clothes and not the actual bling. Can't dress mutton as lamb etc

If that was actually the message then I agree with their theory. There is no doubt in my mind that attractive people get hired in preference to average looking people if the qualifications are similar. If I was an employer and needed a receptionist then I would do the same. But you don't need an attractive person to stack boxes in a warehouse. I think the manager of D-TAC in Chiang Mai works on that principle. All the receptionists are lovely looking Thai girls with nice personalities. If I was a young dude I'd be hanging around there all day.

Very often it goes together. I have a friend who is a make up artist, so I had the chance to meet a number of models, "before and after". Without make-up a lot of models look pretty average, their talent is to know how to walk, how to dress and how to wear make up.

Same for the men.

Now back to the village. A number of poster complain to be look down by the local authorities. it's very much a problem of appearance. Dress like a farm worker and you will be treated accordingly. Make an effort, dress a bit more formal, casual but clean, shave, don't get drunk in public, and with the wrong people, and suddenly everything will be more easy.