Gasohol 95 Or Benzine 91

CWMcMurray

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you want your bike or car to run smoother and start straight away in the mornings or after it has cooled down run Benzine 91.

Benzine 91 has more octane. Gasahol 91 has less and can make your bike or car run roughly, you use more fuel to to do the same speed. Thus doing so in the long run it "Gasahol 91" will cost you more.

If you want your bike or car to run smoother and start straight away in the mornings or after it has cooled down run Benzine 91.

Benzine 91 has more octane. Gasahol 91 has less and can make your bike or car run roughly, you use more fuel to to do the same speed. Thus doing so in the long run it "Gasahol 91" will cost you more.

But he wants to compare Gasohol 95 and Benzine 91.

exactly !!

Have been using gasohol95 and I really have not noticed any difference to benzene91. Surely if the manual says the car can take either fuel, I can safely assume they mean it, without adversely affecting performance? I will revert back to gasohol95 once this period of cheaper benzene91 isover.

Yes I agree that Benzine 91 is clearly "better than" Gasohol 91 & Benzine 95 would be "better than" Gasohol 95

.... but how about Benzine 91 and Gasohol 95

I am guessing they are about the same? But I have absolutely no real idea on this :unsure:

Since they are now exactly the same price at the pump, I figured I would ask if anyone knew the answer .

Sorry made a blue, however I would still run Benzine 91 for the reason stated.

Yes I agree that Benzine 91 is clearly "better than" Gasohol 91 & Benzine 95 would be "better than" Gasohol 95

I am guessing they are about the same? But I have absolutely no real idea on this :unsure:

Since they are now exactly the same price at the pump, I figured I would ask if anyone knew the answer .

This thread is just getting a little bit absurd. I'm going to grossly generalize in what follows. If your car is designed to operate on 91 octane fuel, there is absolutely no advantage to running 95. None. Not unless there is something wrong with your engine.

Higher octane ratings mean you can run higher compression ratios. If your engine is spec'ed to operate on 91 that means you don't run higher compression ratios that benefit from 95 fuel, and therefore the higher octane ratings are completely wasted on you.

Now, as for normal vs. gasohol, the first difference is that ethanol has a HIGHER effective octane rating than other petroleum derived additives. Anhydrous ethanol has an effective octane rating of about 113. This means to get gasohol 91 they can use a base fuel with a lower octane rating, which is slightly cheaper to produce. Again though, as long as the final product has an effective octane rating of 91, there is essentially no difference to your car. The problems with ethanol all stem from the detergent properties of ethanol which tend to loosen debris and dissolve plastics in cars not designed for it.

The major disadvantage of ethanol vs. traditional fuel is that ethanol has a lower heating value only about 68% that of traditional fuel. This means, any 10% gasohol fuel will have approximately 3% less total energy than a fuel that doesn't use ethanol. So if you are looking at fuel economy, you'll get about 3% worse mileage on gasohol vs. a completely petroleum based fuel.

In summary, if your car can use 91, use 91. Period. There is no reason to ever use 95. Your choice should be between standard 91 and gasohol 91. If gasohol 91 is more than 3% cheaper than the standard fuel, you are better off with gasohol. Using any type of 95 fuel in a car rated for 91 is simply throwing money away for no purpose.

P.S. It is impossible to answer your poll question because none of the choices are correct. There is a difference between the fuels, but neither is actually "better" unless you carefully define your criteria for better. In your case you wouldn't see a difference except that you would get worse economy on gasohol 95, so from that standpoint you may say traditional 91 is the best choice. Your best option however for a modern car is to use gasohol 91 as long as gasohol can be purchased at greater than a 3% discount to the traditional fuel.

P.P.S.

Can you ask the mods to move this over to the motoring forum where you are likely to get some knowledgeable replies? What you are asking is actually a somewhat involved question and depends alot on your particular vehicle. So far the quality of responses you have received from the general forum is not exactly optimal.

Edited by gregb
  • Like 1

I almost move this thread initially, but now do think it is better in the Motoring Forum. Topic Moved.

P.S. I have a new Honda which is setup to run gasohol. From what I've read, that 3% reduction in MPG is right on. But the emissions are reduced by more than that. If you car is setup for this, it's not that big of a deal...and a Honda ain't a race car! :lol:

Something in addition to the informative, and mostly correct post above, is that gasohol is an oxygenated fuel which helps offset losses in the lower BTU value of the ethanol component.

In my Camry I ran the first 50k kilometers on premium 95, and the next 300k kilometers on Gas95. I actually found sligtly better range on the Gas95 product. Averages worked out over 10's of thousands of kilometers, not just one tank.

Moved to motor forum.

Something in addition to the informative, and mostly correct post above, is that gasohol is an oxygenated fuel which helps offset losses in the lower BTU value of the ethanol component.

In my Camry I ran the first 50k kilometers on premium 95, and the next 300k kilometers on Gas95. I actually found sligtly better range on the Gas95 product. Averages worked out over 10's of thousands of kilometers, not just one tank.

Moved to motor forum.

Is it an old Camry.They use 91 these days dont they ?..Dont see real 95 up country.

I almost move this thread initially, but now do think it is better in the Motoring Forum. Topic Moved.

P.S. I have a new Honda which is setup to run gasohol. From what I've read, that 3% reduction in MPG is right on. But the emissions are reduced by more than that. If you car is setup for this, it's not that big of a deal...and a Honda ain't a race car! :lol:

Yup. They certainly proved that in F1.

It depends what car you are driving and what does it require?

If your car requires 91 octane then the correct comparison would be gasohol 91 vs benzine 91.

There is no use for gasohol 95 if your car does not need it. Just a waste of money.

Ethanol has about 50% less energy than pure petrol. Gasohol uses a 10% mixture of ethanol so total gasohol has 5% less energy than benzine.

It means you will get about 5% less mileage or 5% less power depending on the car. The opportunity cost is if the gasohol is 5% less cost than benzine or not. If gasohol 91 is 5% or less cheaper than benzine then it is not worth it. If gasohol is more than 5% cheaper then it is more worth it to use gasohol.

This thread is just getting a little bit absurd. I'm going to grossly generalize in what follows. If your car is designed to operate on 91 octane fuel, there is absolutely no advantage to running 95. None. Not unless there is something wrong with your engine.

Higher octane ratings mean you can run higher compression ratios. If your engine is spec'ed to operate on 91 that means you don't run higher compression ratios that benefit from 95 fuel, and therefore the higher octane ratings are completely wasted on you.

Now, as for normal vs. gasohol, the first difference is that ethanol has a HIGHER effective octane rating than other petroleum derived additives. Anhydrous ethanol has an effective octane rating of about 113. This means to get gasohol 91 they can use a base fuel with a lower octane rating, which is slightly cheaper to produce. Again though, as long as the final product has an effective octane rating of 91, there is essentially no difference to your car. The problems with ethanol all stem from the detergent properties of ethanol which tend to loosen debris and dissolve plastics in cars not designed for it.

The major disadvantage of ethanol vs. traditional fuel is that ethanol has a lower heating value only about 68% that of traditional fuel. This means, any 10% gasohol fuel will have approximately 3% less total energy than a fuel that doesn't use ethanol. So if you are looking at fuel economy, you'll get about 3% worse mileage on gasohol vs. a completely petroleum based fuel.

In summary, if your car can use 91, use 91. Period. There is no reason to ever use 95. Your choice should be between standard 91 and gasohol 91. If gasohol 91 is more than 3% cheaper than the standard fuel, you are better off with gasohol. Using any type of 95 fuel in a car rated for 91 is simply throwing money away for no purpose.

P.S. It is impossible to answer your poll question because none of the choices are correct. There is a difference between the fuels, but neither is actually "better" unless you carefully define your criteria for better. In your case you wouldn't see a difference except that you would get worse economy on gasohol 95, so from that standpoint you may say traditional 91 is the best choice. Your best option however for a modern car is to use gasohol 91 as long as gasohol can be purchased at greater than a 3% discount to the traditional fuel.

P.P.S.

Can you ask the mods to move this over to the motoring forum where you are likely to get some knowledgeable replies? What you are asking is actually a somewhat involved question and depends alot on your particular vehicle. So far the quality of responses you have received from the general forum is not exactly optimal.

WRONG ...... The on board computer knows what you put in the tank and electronically makes adjustments to electronically controlled air vanes, fuel injector regulators, engine timing and 30-40 other variables. A vehicle may be designed to run on a lower octane, however, can and will perform bettter and have more power and at times better mileage on a higher octane. It's just basic physics, higher octanes burn faster and are more efficient.

Edited by paulian

WRONG ...... The on board computer knows what you put in the tank and electronically makes adjustments to electronically controlled air vanes, fuel injector regulators, engine timing and 30-40 other variables. A vehicle may be designed to run on a lower octane, however, can and will perform bettter and have more power and at times better mileage on a higher octane. It's just basic physics, higher octanes burn faster and are more efficient.

hmm, its the other way around.

an engine can be designed to require 98RON, more and more common in Europe to achieve better milage and higher performance, but by installing a knock sensor on engine, ECU can detune to use lower RON fuels, providing less power and more pollution. 30 year old tech.

an engine designed to run 91, will not gain any performance or improved milage by using higher RON

Most engines sold in TH are US spec, 91 RON. I smile every time I see grey importers bragging about benz Bluemotion, designed to run 98RON not available in TH, so run 95 at its best, thus performing and polluting as the stock non Bluemotion models :rolleyes:

Gasohol E10 has the advantage of keeping injection and combustion chamber clean and soot free, which can provide better performance, better milage and less pollution

Running an E20 engine/car, I would use E10

Running an E10 engine/car, I would use petrol if same price as gasohol

Unfortunately my car requires E20, 95 octane gasohol or 95 benzine. I can tell the difference between E20 and 95 octane gasohol. There is no major noticeable difference between E20 or 95 gasohol as far as performance, in fact it seems to run better on E20 but the economy as far as kilometers per liter is a little better with the 95 gasohol.

I can't tell any difference between 91 benzine and 91 gasohol in my motorbike.

P.P.S.

right on the spot, thanks for the clear explanation. Your car's fuel door should have a sticker on the inside indicating what fuel it's meant to run on. If it's stated to accept 91 ethanol, then there's no danger in doing so. Yes, you might get a little less distance out of your tank with it, but compared to the cost of pure 91, it's usually worth it. Going for 95, whether pure or gasohol, would have a negligible impact on your engine, unless you've added a turbo, high compression pistons, and so on. But for a stock car, it's just a waste of money.

If you're scared of ethanol "gunking up" your engine, fill up every now and then at a Caltex station, they have a fuel additive called Techron which is supposedly quite effective at keeping things clean.

It will be A Cold Day in Hell when we learn the secrets of the Benzine Computor..Perhaps it listens for Detonation and then retards the ignition. :cheesy: .

Not sure about other engines but that's how mine does it... I did some testing on this, I have a ScanGauge OBD display which shows a lot of the engine's running parameters, including spark advance. I tried runnign different fuels over time from gasohol 91 to pure benzene 95, and kept an eye on the advance at high RPMs and engine load. Not once did I see a lower number with gasohol 91, and 95 did not yield any increased advance either.

I've got on PDF some very informative technical manuals on the workings of the relatively modern ECU int he Yaris, they are quite clever little brains.

I have a 2jzgte engine and usually use vpower 95 gasohol. With the taxes being changed on benzine, I put in 91 and the car definitely is more sluggish now than with vpower 95. Different horses for courses I guess.

Well yeah, that engine is meant to run 95, don't expect it to run properly on 91!