Bangkok Bank Pathetic

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the guys on here works there, he might read your post and help you

If anybody is having problems with our products or services, please contact me via PM or Daveroc.

He is actually the best person to PM as he is assigned to the Expat community whereas I am IT and Strategy and I travel a fair bit. So please contact Dave and he can even arrange an appointment at your choice of branch for people who want to open an account. Or he can help to sort out problems like this person complained about.

I must say his complaint is a new one. Our IVRs (VRUs) answer millions of calls each month and have been serving both Thai and English languages for years. It would be good if he could contact Dave to give the specifics. Thanks

And an FYI, if you want to setup Internet Banking you can do so from any Bangkok Bank ATM. We have more than 7,000 of them.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/online%20banking/for%20personal/ibanking/how%20to%20apply/pages/default.aspx

Ian

Edited by ianguygil

I just dialed our Short Code of 1333

It asked me to enter 2 for English. I did so. It spoke to me in English asking me to select if I want to pay bills... etc.

Please try again. I checked to make sure there had not been a change which messed things up

Two hours ago it was "Press 2" and there was no English menu, I suggest there are/were problems with their automated telephone system I had 2 attempts and it never connected to any English.

Anyway I went to a Bangkok Bank branch and asked about opening a credit card account, with my work permit and passport in hand , furthermore my salary is paid into my savings Bangkok Bank account. After the bank employee had a conversation with someone in the office, smart suit etc,(maybe Branch manager) I was told I cannot open. On asking why I just had a smile and no answer, So Bangkok Bank are about to lose a customer.

Edited by KKvampire

I have that problem with TOT and Truevisions usually.

Press 2 and the line goes dead but if you choose the Thai option it gives furher options in Thai.

I just follow that until I get through to an operator and get transferred to the English service where reporting the problem doesn't get it fixed.

the op is sending out mixed messages! their opening posts say he cannot access internet banking with BB, that query has been answered and to be honest I use BB internet banking as do a number of friends and it was not a problem, I pay my bills and top up my phone from home. The op then switches tack and complains about being unable to get a credit card account, well as most expats here will know that is a completely different ball park! They usually need a deposit of the amount of credit you request as I guess they have had their fingers burned with expats getting credit then skipping the country. I know a few business people who have been offered credit cards without asking but only after establishing a good banking record over a period of time.

Anyway for me BB was not a problem in setting up internet banking but then I have had an account with them for six years.

Two hours ago it was "Press 2" and there was no English menu, I suggest there are/were problems with their automated telephone system I had 2 attempts and it never connected to any English.

Anyway I went to a Bangkok Bank branch and asked about opening a credit card account, with my work permit and passport in hand , furthermore my salary is paid into my savings Bangkok Bank account. After the bank employee had a conversation with someone in the office, smart suit etc,(maybe Branch manager) I was told I cannot open. On asking why I just had a smile and no answer, So Bangkok Bank are about to lose a customer.

If you have a history with Bangkok Bank there is no problem getting a secured credit card. I'm retired, with no job or work permit, they just about forced me to sign-up. No annual fee, No monthly interest charged, automatic monthly balance deducted from your account. Handy to have here in Thailand.

I Think that "BB" is better than any other bank in Thailand.This is after two other accounts with "SCB & K-Bank,the latter has done "Zero" for me and the 6 millionTHb i have deposited over that time period.Bankok Banks main Silom branch can & will set up Internet banking.I was not charged for that service.I have both Govt. & private direct deposits being taken care of by "BB".I must say,that the service was very good,as was their "English speaking staff" "zero" problems.If one is going to live here,than you need to loose your attitudes about what you think is owed to you by Thai business and Thai people in general.Living in a country that is not your own,presents lots of problems and confusion.My problems have always been around my need to have things done my way,and the language barriers.I always go with a Thai native speaker if their is a need to talk with the "Big Boss",and that has proved to be a very wise choice.If i need to converse in English,than i go to the main branch and ask for help.It is helpful to ask,rather than demand for service.Thai people love to assist you .I have had worse service in America for every kind of banking issue i can think of.Thailand is growing up,and its people our learning.Making blanket statements about two minor banking issues has no merit.I still bank with K-Bank,but i do not bother fighting over issues that will not be resolved by me getting "Jai ron".Thai people our more helpful if you just go about it their way,as it is their country & culture.Jai yen,yen.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use default forum font when posting.

I always wonder quietly how much high-tech banking you can expect when I look at a room full of early 90's DEC PC's at the Phuket main Branch of BB. I suspect that the "Y2K Ready" stickers on those computers represent the last major technology investment that office has seen ;)

Back to the OP, we are always sorry to hear that a customer is dissatisfied with our service. And we know we are not perfect and we will try to improve. I have offered for you to contact me or to contact Daveroc. But that does not seem to be acceptable.

For a credit card there are clearly restrictions for non residents. A WP does not make somebody a resident. Just as in the USA or the UK (I have worked in both) we would look for a credit history and some tie to the community. If you really want a credit card please contact Daveroc who can put you in the standard process.

As for the problem with our Bualuang phone service that you experienced, we just cannot replicate it. I did not ask my secretary or staff to try, I called myself. And there was no problem. I checked with our Change Advisory Board which controls all changes to our Production environment. There were no recent changes. Any TV members can dial the 1333 shortcode and check for yourself. Enter 2 at the first menu, it gives you the next menu in English. So as I said, we cannot replicate it, there was no recent change, and I tried it myself. We are sorry if you are unhappy with this, but that is really the best we can do. And I do invite other TV members to try this to see for themselves.

There are occasional glitches with the voice system (have been using for many years) but would say it is well over 99% reliable. Mostly it is just delay in computer access "please hold the line" request.

As for setting up internet access that can not be done from an ATM if it is a joint account so that statement needs a qualifier (unless there has been a recent change).

Yep hate BB, my wife has had one of their credit cards for 13 years with only 1 minor mistake of missing a payment of 20b (the full balance) because she thought she had paid the entire balance previously before her bill was sent and no new charges, so she believed the balance listed was to be in between making the payment (confusing that) and even still that was YEARS ago and they will neither give me a card on her account nor will they increase her credit line in spite of her income more then tripling since she first got it...

We use it for rare emergencies only now and soon it will be replaced by another company after which it will be returned in shreds. Krungthai OTH gave her a line of credit equal to 3 times her Bangkok bank card and everything is less expensive with them including cash withdrawals and better service, a bank that seems to appreciate it's customers, they also gave me a card on her account no problem.. Bangkok bank has cost themselves a long standing good customer and they don't even bat an eyelash about it when you complain.. I'd like to see as many people as possible drop their accounts with them if I had my way maybe it would wake them out of their stupor of arrogance and complacency..

Back to the OP, we are always sorry to hear that a customer is dissatisfied with our service. And we know we are not perfect and we will try to improve. I have offered for you to contact me or to contact Daveroc. But that does not seem to be acceptable.

For a credit card there are clearly restrictions for non residents. A WP does not make somebody a resident. Just as in the USA or the UK (I have worked in both) we would look for a credit history and some tie to the community. If you really want a credit card please contact Daveroc who can put you in the standard process.

Have to tell you right up front this is the biggest bunch of rubbish I've ever heard!! What about my post? BB has treated my missus (yes a foreigner with 13 years good credit history and work history on the same job with a notable Thai company she has clearly moved ahead in, now being a mid-level managing executive) as less then a second class citizen in spite of a near perfect payment history and in spite of numerous complaints she's made she has gotten no satisfaction what-so-ever only to hear mai dai. The idea that she is a foreigner is bunk, she patronizes and repays better then most Thai's and as much as other banks have respected her work and credit history and given her much higher limits without a single minutes history to match her 13 year history with BB. I'll believe the rhetoric when I see some real action.. Right now her balance with them is less then 3000b and up until a couple of months ago it was 0 for months so not even close to maxed out either.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I have had several issues with BB.

Earlier this year went to do a TT for health fund payments......they could not do it, had all the info and after 30 minutes of fuc_king about we left and went to wifes bank KK....they did it in about 15 minutes without any issue.

Went to BB bank couple weeks ago to ask for bank statements to be mailed to me to our current address...cannot.....asked if I could get them with my address on it in English....cannot.....eventually after 2 visits got them to do statements and have them ready at the branch to pick up, no mail out......went to pick them up and wrong address......and still in Thai.....

Went to BB bank and person I was dealing with was to call me to pick something up 3 days later....no call...7 days....no call......I go in, she says I try to call you...I said no you didnt, she says yes I did....this went on for 10 minutes......I showed her the list of numbers that called my phone on the day she said she called...twice...for sure....her number was not there......she brought me a slip of paper and said look...this is you right and your number right....I said no, that is not my number, where did you get that from....she said you write it down...I said no I did not, she said yes you did, I said no....you get the drift.......I said its not my hand writing, she said it was your wife, I said its not my wifes hand writing...she says yes it is, I say no its not.......I said I wrote my number down on the photo copy I gave you last week...where is it...she ran off and got it and low and behold...there is my number and not the one she was calling.......*disguised derogatory profanity deleted*......she lost face and I was more than happy to give it to her.........something wrong with saying sorry, my mistake.

Edited by metisdead
Removed the disguised profane comment

And an FYI, if you want to setup Internet Banking you can do so from any Bangkok Bank ATM. We have more than 7,000 of them.

http://www.bangkokba...es/default.aspx

Ian

Thank you for this... I did not realize it was this easy, I will sign up the next time I hit the ATM.

I see a lot of complaints from a bunch of folks about BB, but I have to say that I have never had any bad experiences with their service. All of the BB tellers and staff that I have interacted with over the last 4 yrs have been polite and helpful.

I am surprised to hear folks have problems setting up internet banking at Bangkok Bank.

Theirs seems easier than any other I have ever done including in the USA.

Go to a branch do the initial simple setup.

Go to an ATM & finish off simple setup

Or as Ian said do it all from an ATM.

If you want to add external accounts to it that you can transfer to via the internet.

Setup online & they SMS you a 1 time PW to activate that external account

All Done

As far as customer service aside from the excellent in English phone support

we Have Ian & Dave here on the forum. I have been more than impressed over all.

They have gone above & beyond even using EMS to send me papers I needed to here in the USA. Last but not least having BB USA branch to do transfers with makes it cheaper & easier to transfer funds internationally at domestic fees rates.

Edited by flying

Ian

Thank you for this... I did not realize it was this easy, I will sign up the next time I hit the ATM.

I see a lot of complaints from a bunch of folks about BB, but I have to say that I have never had any bad experiences with their service. All of the BB tellers and staff that I have interacted with over the last 4 yrs have been polite and helpful.

I'll give them props for some of the hotiest counter ladies though :D .. I didn't even mention the several months in a row my ATM card was randomly changing PIN numbers and the machines were taking them, finally after several new cards and PIN's, a lot of denials on their part and my complaining it seems the problem mysteriously went away!!

I am surprised to hear folks have problems setting up internet banking at Bangkok Bank.

Theirs seems easier than any other I have ever done including in the USA.

Go to a branch do the initial simple setup.

Go to an ATM & finish off simple setup

Or as Ian said do it all from an ATM.

If you want to add external accounts to it that you can transfer to via the internet.

Setup online & they SMS you a 1 time PW to activate that external account

All Done

As far as customer service aside from the excellent in English phone support

we Have Ian & Dave here on the forum. I have been more than impressed over all.

They have gone above & beyond even using EMS to send me papers I needed to here in the USA. Last but not least having BB USA branch to do transfers with makes it cheaper & easier to transfer funds internationally at domestic fees rates.

I agree,and can find no justification for any real criticism of Bangkok Bank (I actually moved from HSBC to be with them).

My account was set up swiftly and effectively by the branch inside the Big C building, Bang Na; my Internet Banking was also similarly available the day after I signed up.

I was advised to visit the Head Office building at Bang Na to place an application for a credit card, but have never really felt the need for one here, given that there are ATMs everywhere, and also given the fact that most places will add on a minimum 3% charge if you want to use one. I also signed up for the new higher-rate term deposit accout earlier this year.

All in all, my move to Bangkok Bank saves me a fortune in bank charges ... as those who bank with HSBC will know, with them, you pay for everything...!!

Keep up the good work Bangkok Bank, and I'm sure you won't miss a few obnoxious individuals who switch to another provider because they don't always get their own way within the first minute of a discussion. In contrast to these belligerent types, I've always found that a friendly smile goes a long way...!!

Our thanks to the kind words from those customers who are satisfied. And for those customers who have experienced problems I have already offered for you to PM Daveroc or me and we can try to help to resolve these. As I said, we are not perfect, but we are always willing to listen and improve. We have more than 20,000 employees and way more than 10 million customers. While we strive to be right 100% of the time it seems that some more training is required for some of our staff sometimes who do not give the right answers to customers when dealing face to face.

So the offer stands. Please PM Daveroc if you actually want to have the issues resolved, and that applies to everybody, even those who have made highly critical posts.

Ian

Tried this at our BBK ATM in the small town where I live and unsuccessful, informed me to contact my branch.

Speaking to the BBK staff at our branch and she informed me that it was probably because I had a joint account, fair enough, completed all the forms, having the wife present is a must as she signs all the forms plus ID card/house book etc etc.

This was about 3 weeks ago now and no news from the branch on internet banking, so will have to start chasing up!.

ph34r.gif

Ian

Tried this at our BBK ATM in the small town where I live and unsuccessful, informed me to contact my branch.

Speaking to the BBK staff at our branch and she informed me that it was probably because I had a joint account, fair enough, completed all the forms, having the wife present is a must as she signs all the forms plus ID card/house book etc etc.

This was about 3 weeks ago now and no news from the branch on internet banking, so will have to start chasing up!.

ph34r.gif

Please PM me and I will get somebody to follow up on your case. I will contact you from my Bangkok Bank email and we can go from there.

yeah some of the comments here are pretty harsh. I can only go on my experiences as a customer over several years (no siginifcant problems) and the fact that:

1. how many of the Thai banks bother to maintain a dedicated team of staff to develop products and services specifically for expats ... and to improve the standard of service provided to them? apart from BKK Bank? None, as far as I am aware

2. How many of the Thai banks (or any large Thai companies) bother to maintain a visible & ongoing watching brief over relevant discussions in this forum - and respond to those comments? apart from BKK Bank? None, as far as I am aware

They have admitted training issues and indicated that they are addressing them. They have indicated a willingness to hear from and work with individuals who have had a bad experience ...

Sounds pretty fair and reasonable to me

Edited by chiangmaibruce

I filled in the forms for bualuang ibanking at the same time I opened the account (June this year) got the letter with the first part of the information I needed to set up ibanking, but waited weeks for the email part.

Contacted daveroc on this forum and it was sent the same day. This was, by the way, all done whilst I'm in London.

I'm very happy with the service, I use it regularly with no problems at all.

I would definitely suggest the OP contact daveroc to get the ibanking sorted out. I have better contact and support from Bangkok Bank than I have from my bank in the UK!

Edited by bifftastic

There is always going to be some customers that have some problems (valid or invalid) with their current bank. And sometimes one problem upsets a customer so much they will change banks...I know that has happened to me over my lifetime with some U.S. banks; but so far not with any Thai banks.

But for the Thai wife and I, we've been with Bangkok Bank for approx a decade, use their internet banking a lot (with the exception of the monthly water bill, we pay all my monthly bills via the bank's iBanking), and been very pleased with their banking service. Although I will say Bank of Thailand rules/regulations, which affect "all" Thai banks since the banks must comply with these govt rules/regs, can sure make some banking issues very frustrating like getting an unsecured credit card, sending money out of the country, etc. And just like how enforcement of immigration laws/regulations seem to vary among Thai immigration offices, the opening of new bank accounts and getting credit cards seem to vary among banks/branches across Thailand regardless of what that bank's HQ web site/literature says the requirements are.

We have also used the Bangkok Bank 1333 number in Thailand and the full number version when calling from the U.S. before, and other than occasionally getting a busy-type signal that could have been our telephone/cell phone carrier's problem, the bank's telephone service has worked well. And when it comes to comparing Bangkok Bank's website to other Thai banks web sites in terms of detailed information in English on a whole variety of banking products/services, Bangkok Bank's web page beats the other banks hands-down....I don't know how many times I have seen ThaiVisa posts which answer a banking question by linking to/referring to a Bangkok Bank webpage.

Summary: Bangkok Bank provides very good banking service, IMHO....not perfect (no one company or individual is), but very good.

I filled in the forms for bualuang ibanking at the same time I opened the account (June this year) got the letter with the first part of the information I needed to set up ibanking, but waited weeks for the email part.

Similar thing happened to me years back in that the email never showed up; not even in my Spam folder. I got the letter but not the email. Called Bangkok Bank, determined the problem was caused by a typo when the bank entered my email address from the application form into their computer system (the bank employee read back the email address to me and then I said, No, there is the typo/problem...change that "E" to an "R"). After some more confirmation of who I said I was, the email address was corrected in their system and later that day I got the email with the additional code I needed to log onto iBanking.

I think no matter what bank you have an account with you will at one time or another have problems with it.

I have had issues with Thai banks and UK banks, the best you can do is close the account and move to another bank but eventually you will find that one will p1ss you off in some way as well.