Chiang Rai To Mae Sai?

Yelly

I usually do a border run from Chiang Mai and just hire one of the minivans to take me roundtrip, but I will be in Chiang Rai in one month, just when I need to re-up my visa. What method of transportation should I take to the border? I assume there are probably frequent buses for this, no? I'd rather not do a motorbike.

Thanks. I tried searching before asking but everything is for Chiang MAI to Mae Sai :annoyed:

Bus definitly. There are buses going to Mai Sai from Chiang Rai frequently.

Either go to the bus station and book or just turn up and wait.

If you tell us what date you have to go, there may be someone here going on the same day and may be willing to give you a lift.

Take one of the many VIP or First Class A/C busses that go from the New Bus Station in Chiang Rai to Mae Sai.

Don't get on one of the local small buses with no A/C and stops hundreds of times on the way.

An example of VIP or First Class is the Green Bus Company that runs from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai then on to Mae Sai.

There are others also that go that route to Mae Sai.

Take one of the many VIP or First Class A/C busses that go from the New Bus Station in Chiang Rai to Mae Sai.

Don't get on one of the local small buses with no A/C and stops hundreds of times on the way.

An example of VIP or First Class is the Green Bus Company that runs from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai then on to Mae Sai.

There are others also that go that route to Mae Sai.

I actually used to enjoy the old beat up buses from the old bus station to mae sai...as long as you're in no hurry. I used to call it the refugee bus as there are some real characters on board, especially on the return from mae sai to CR....once i was on it and at the first police checkpoint a cop came on the front to check papers and two guys beside me jumped and ran off the back of the bus and out through the jungle with a couple of cops in hot pursuit...better than television.

But yes those buses are usually REALLY old and in no hurry..but then again so am I.