Thailand Releases Sex Study

webfact

Special Report: Sex and Family Changes

Part 1

As the world changes, people’s lifestyles also change, including sexual behaviour and family structure. A recent research by the Institute for Population and Social Research of Mahidol University has reported a surprising finding.

According to Institute for Population and Social Research Deputy Director Assoc Prof Kritaya Archavanitkul, sexual behaviour in Thailand in the past five years developed in four major styles. The first one was a tendency for men to have their first sexual experience with prostitutes or sex workers instead of their spouses after marriage. A number of men had their first time with friends of lovers. Sex before marriage and living together before marriage were becoming more common among people in working age and students. This reflected the changing perception of keeping virginity until marriage among women in the society.

The second development was greater acceptance in gender diversity in the Thai society. Third was the evolved sex related services. Earlier, sexual services were provided only at brothels but recently have been infiltrating in other entertainment places such as bars, karaoke, restaurants, massage parlours, traditional Thai massage houses or even in dormitories and hair salons.

The last development was the sex education. Earlier sex education focused on changes in human body during puberty with teachings to control sexual behaviour; however, at present, sex education has advanced to the stage that students are taught to share experiences, to listen to others, not to judge sexual behaviour of others and not to ostracise people with different sexual preferences. However, sexual violence experienced by women remains the same while women who are not ready for pregnancy still have no access to safe abortion.

Continue to part two of this special report to see what other academics from the institute find in regard to sexual behaviour of Thai people.

Special Report: Sex and Family Changes

Part 2

The Institute for Population and Social Research of Mahidol University recently launched a report on sexual behaviour and family changes. The first part discussed four major changes in sexual behaviour. This second part will see what two other academics from the institute have to report.

According to Assoc Prof Chai Podhisita, Thai families at present have changed dramatically as people at present start to have families or get married later in life. The ratio of single people is getting higher. People aged more than 40 years old and over tend to be single for the rest of their life. More than 20% of women in Bangkok remain single. More people also tend to stay together before getting married or just stay together and separate later if it turns out that living together is not smooth or satisfactory. In addition, marriage lives at present is more fragile with higher tendency of divorce. In 1993, cases of divorce were nearly 50,000. The figure shot up to over 100,000 in 2009 while the number of marriage registrations fell. In the past 30 years, nuclear families dropped from 70% to only 53%.

Meanwhile, as elaborated by Prof Dr Pramote Prasartkul, the public sector should support spouses with readiness to have children without giving burden to the society because at present the birth rate is declining from more than six children per one mother 30 years ago to only 1.5 per one mother. Thai people in the future also tend to have fewer children, and this will certainly affect the population structure. Prof Dr Pramote said the government must enhance life security for senior citizens whose number will be increasing continuously.

Upon changes in sexual behavior and family structure, related public and private sectors should consider this report when they formulate policies in order to ensure that Thailand will have population security in the future.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-09-10 footer_n.gif

Following a well worn path, interesting that in one of the comments 'recently' must cover at least the last 30 years, but I guess in the history of Thailand 30 years is recently.

I personally feel the drop in large families is an area of concern, the crucial factor is the fragmentation of families, migration to find suitable employment destroys the security offered by the larger family. Having experienced the supportive actions of a large Thai family first hand, I never fail to be impressed by their ability to come up with a solution to whatever issue arises. Yes, due to modern communication this support and love spans the distances, just not quite the same as living next door

Of course the grandparents living in the cities may also be working, much less in the rural communities where family childcare is more readily available

The answer in part is to reverse the migration to the cities.....create a thriving rural economy to encourage the family unit to develop and remain for the most part where family support is readily available....easier said than done unfortunately

A nation is only as strong as its families. If Thailand follows the bad example of Western nations, they will suffer the same consequences of social decay.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There is a lot of truth in his words........which part do you find amusing?

Edited by 473geo

A nation is only as strong as its families. If Thailand follows the bad example of Western nations, they will suffer the same consequences of social decay.

... while I sadly agree with jkolak's comments about the decay of family, and more broadly, cultural values in the West, I believe the family values pervading Thailand offer no advantage over Western family values, at all ... spend a little time close to upcountry Thai communities, or about the Thai orphanages, and a person will quickly get a clear view of some pretty ugly stuff here … and far more chronic than isolated.

... survivalist, tribal behaviors remain deeply ensconced in Thai family and cultural values ... what many Thais do to their own family members is explainable in the 3rd World terms of the animal kingdom, but simply stunning by the standards of civilized people.

... I'd really not look to Thailand as the model for modern family values.

Edited by swillowbee

... garycm might be a bit rougher than I am, who is merely cynical (see my comments above) ... but, garycm might have the advantage of an upclose view of Thai family behaviors that jkolak does not ... while I view jkolak's view as naieve, I do not find it so much amusing as garycm ... but, I do get from where garycm is coming ... definately.

... while I sadly agree with jkolak's comments about the decay of family, and more broadly, cultural values in the West, I believe the family values pervading Thailand offer no advantage over Western family values, at all ... spend a little time close to upcountry Thai communities, or about the Thai orphanages, and a person will quickly get a clear view of some pretty ugly stuff here … and far more chronic than isolated.

... survivalist, tribal behaviors remain deeply ensconced in Thai family and cultural values ... what many Thais do to themselves is explainable in the 3rd World terms of the animal kingdom, but simply stunning by the standards of civilized people.

... I'd really not look to Thailand as the model for modern family values.

I think the comment was regarding the strength of family values per se, highlighting the importance of family units in society, family values are just that where ever in the world, of course Thailand has to develop and improve, but in the right direction, and having children not being exposed to the benefit of family values and support is not the way forward.....in my opinion...

Yes, if Western societies adhered to the mia-noi and village brothel culture like Thailand, the Western social decay would be far less.

I was thinking how to explain when I read the comment of swillowbee. I couln't have said it better

... garycm might be a bit rougher than I am, who is merely cynical (see my comments above) ... but, garycm might have the advantage of an upclose view of Thai family behaviors that jkolak does not ... while I view jkolak's view as naieve, I do not find it so much amusing as garycm ... but, I do get from where garycm is coming ... definately.

I burst out laughing when i read jkolak,s post and took as well executed dry humor.

As rural agricultural societies disappear so does the extended family. Industrialization is replacing Thai rural society. The demise of the family and Thai culture is a consequence of progress. To those who long for family values and the return of the “good old days”, put your head between your legs and wai your butt goodbye.

Yes very easy to sieze on the negative and elevate to the fore, I have seen first hand the benefit of extended family in close proximity, my wife had over 15 aunts and uncles ( I've lost count after 15) take into account their wives/husbands/children, and the majority lived in a 20 mile radius, most in ajoining villages, we meet them all regularly, one of the reasons my children will spend their younger years in rural Thailand enjoying playing outside having the freedom to roam. They can make the decision to move into the relative solitude and independance of the city when they wish to do so.............

Perhaps you would care to explain how you come to be surrounded by disfunctional families in Thailand?

I don't know how prevalent it still is, but the extreme family-centric mindset can mean the children are essentially hostage to their parents for their entire lives, and while that might sound like a a wise policy for old age care, it can lead to some heartbreaking stories about the girls.

Not uncommon to be forced into marriage to some local well-to-do drunken and violent creep, or even worse, working as a prostitute -- either by direct sale to a mama-san or as a "waitress" in BKK, which the family surely knows is prostitution. They turn a blind eye to the common sense fact that a poorly educated girl from the village cannot possibly make 20,000+ baht a month as a "waitress".

As rural agricultural societies disappear so does the extended family. Industrialization is replacing Thai rural society. The demise of the family and Thai culture is a consequence of progress. To those who long for family values and the return of the "good old days", put your head between your legs and wai your butt goodbye.

I doubt family values will ever completely disappear, not for me, not in my lifetime, but perhaps sadly for future generations, mainly due to the imbalance between rural and urban wages and opportunity. I know of one previously agricultural area (UK) that has been totally changed for the better by selective industrial investment (40 years ago), there is now a mix of the two and family values still remain strong.......so it can be done.....

Too late...the decay is so bad already no dentist in his mind would touch this place.....

I don't know how prevalent it still is, but the extreme family-centric mindset can mean the children are essentially hostage to their parents for their entire lives, and while that might sound like a a wise policy for old age care, it can lead to some heartbreaking stories about the girls.

Not uncommon to be forced into marriage to some local well-to-do drunken and violent creep, or even worse, working as a prostitute -- either by direct sale to a mama-san or as a "waitress" in BKK, which the family surely knows is prostitution. They turn a blind eye to the common sense fact that a poorly educated girl from the village cannot possibly make 20,000+ baht a month as a "waitress".

I agree there are some acts of desperation by the economically challenged rural Thai, I have friends that have followed the path you say is 'not uncommon', but you miss one important fact, almost each person I know has saved money and are steadfastly determined they will provide for their children that they avoid the same fate.

Of course some just accept the 'well-to-do drunken violent creep'.........they just won't listen when I tell them not marry a farang!....... Of course I am not portraying all farang in this mode, that would be unfair, just as it would be unfair to to say 'not uncommon' regarding sending girls to prostitution........

I actually thought that Thailand was the Hub of social decay. I believe the head office is situated in a little place called Pattaya.

As rural agricultural societies disappear so does the extended family. Industrialization is replacing Thai rural society. The demise of the family and Thai culture is a consequence of progress. To those who long for family values and the return of the "good old days", put your head between your legs and wai your butt goodbye.

I doubt family values will ever completely disappear, not for me, not in my lifetime, but perhaps sadly for future generations, mainly due to the imbalance between rural and urban wages and opportunity. I know of one previously agricultural area (UK) that has been totally changed for the better by selective industrial investment (40 years ago), there is now a mix of the two and family values still remain strong.......so it can be done.....

I hope you are right but I don't think you are. Planning is not exactly the Thai or Chinese strong point. The damning of the Mekong by the Chinese as soon as the US gets too weak to do anything about it and the rise of mechanized agriculture will drastically change Thai farming. Instead of a selective industrialization in Issan I see a large population shift to the already industrial East coast primarily because of the international shipping options. I see the family farm changing from rice to a vegetable patch and the children sending the money home from factory work to support the parents and grandparents.

I actually thought that Thailand was the Hub of social decay. I believe the head office is situated in a little place called Pattaya.

If you have ever seen the Thai women who work in Singapore or at the local small town brothels you might change your view of Pattaya. Pattaya is a pretty small ship in a big ocean. The working conditions in Singapore or Nakon Nowhere are not near as nice as Pattaya nor as safe.

I hope you are right but I don't think you are. Planning is not exactly the Thai or Chinese strong point. The damning of the Mekong by the Chinese as soon as the US gets too weak to do anything about it and the rise of mechanized agriculture will drastically change Thai farming. Instead of a selective industrialization in Issan I see a large population shift to the already industrial East coast primarily because of the international shipping options. I see the family farm changing from rice to a vegetable patch and the children sending the money home from factory work to support the parents and grandparents.

We are already into that natural progression of migration from the rural communities and sending money home, but the community values are holding strong, rather than sell the land when their parents expire, the urbanites rent the land to neighbours to farm for a percentage of the crop, this provides either revenue for no work by selling the rice, or free rice,and many make the annual pilgrimage around harvest time to protect their investment. Many Thai do not appear to easily give up their roots

Edited by 473geo

I agree there are some acts of desperation by the economically challenged rural Thai, I have friends that have followed the path you say is 'not uncommon', but you miss one important fact, almost each person I know has saved money and are steadfastly determined they will provide for their children that they avoid the same fate.

Of course some just accept the 'well-to-do drunken violent creep'.........they just won't listen when I tell them not marry a farang!....... Of course I am not portraying all farang in this mode, that would be unfair, just as it would be unfair to to say 'not uncommon' regarding sending girls to prostitution........

You would know better than I if you are living in the rural community and know all the many stories and relationships.

Myself, I know first-hand about paying money to help a college graduate avoid marriage to a village guy. Her father had an open-heart operation, couldn't pay the bills, so the mother borrowed money from the local well-to-do (actually just have a brick factory). When they couldn't raise the money to pay the debt after a year, the girl was called back to marry the son of the brick factory owner. As they "courted" he was totally drunk every night, and on about the fourth night at dinner, reached over and slapped her face.

I'm sure she was passive-aggressive from the get-go, and so infuriated the guy. At any rate, city friends raised the money, paid off the brick family (with a steep surcharge) and she returned to the capital.

My point is: She willingly followed her mother's command to marry he guy, tried to do it, and would have done so if there was no other option. After the debt paper was torn up, she planned to kill herself, she said.

Because of the traditional approach of family as safety net, these incredibly sad stories can happen. Remember, this girl is a human being, not a cipher on a statistical chart.

As for the bar girls saving their money: I hope so, but I sure see many that appear off the rails, covered in tatoos and partying every night. I don't see how you could save a whole lot of money that way. There is always the German biker tatoo nice party guy dream I suppose, When he finally arrives, he can save the day and buy the house in Buriram ...

lol....right, they should keep it as is then?? And what perfect world are you from?

You would know better than I if you are living in the rural community and know all the many stories and relationships.

Myself, I know first-hand about paying money to help a college graduate avoid marriage to a village guy. Her father had an open-heart operation, couldn't pay the bills, so the mother borrowed money from the local well-to-do (actually just have a brick factory). When they couldn't raise the money to pay the debt after a year, the girl was called back to marry the son of the brick factory owner. As they "courted" he was totally drunk every night, and on about the fourth night at dinner, reached over and slapped her face.

I'm sure she was passive-aggressive from the get-go, and so infuriated the guy. At any rate, city friends raised the money, paid off the brick family (with a steep surcharge) and she returned to the capital.

My point is: She willingly followed her mother's command to marry he guy, tried to do it, and would have done so if there was no other option. After the debt paper was torn up, she planned to kill herself, she said.

Because of the traditional approach of family as safety net, these incredibly sad stories can happen. Remember, this girl is a human being, not a cipher on a statistical chart.

As for the bar girls saving their money: I hope so, but I sure see many that appear off the rails, covered in tatoos and partying every night. I don't see how you could save a whole lot of money that way. There is always the German biker tatoo nice party guy dream I suppose, When he finally arrives, he can save the day and buy the house in Buriram ...

But he may not like it if the house in Buriram is mortgaged to pay off a loan........family values have a price on occasion.......

Following a well worn path, interesting that in one of the comments 'recently' must cover at least the last 30 years, but I guess in the history of Thailand 30 years is recently.

I personally feel the drop in large families is an area of concern, the crucial factor is the fragmentation of families, migration to find suitable employment destroys the security offered by the larger family. Having experienced the supportive actions of a large Thai family first hand, I never fail to be impressed by their ability to come up with a solution to whatever issue arises. Yes, due to modern communication this support and love spans the distances, just not quite the same as living next door

Of course the grandparents living in the cities may also be working, much less in the rural communities where family childcare is more readily available

The answer in part is to reverse the migration to the cities.....create a thriving rural economy to encourage the family unit to develop and remain for the most part where family support is readily available....easier said than done unfortunately

I don't suppose that it has occurred to you that having a large family is not only typical of poor people, it is often a major contributor to why they are poor. Raising and educating children is an expensive business, with more children less resources are available per child for education, ensuring that the poverty cycle continues. It is no surprise that as western countries have become more affluent that families have shrunk, it is one of the reasons that they are more affluent.

Expanding the view to the society, the position is similar. Rapidly increasing population due to large families and longer life expectancy, puts pressure on the society to provide food and services. A smaller, better educated population is more productive, able to pay more tax, and so able to enjoy even better services. There is also the matter of trying to control the population of the planet - its resources are not infinite.

BTW In China with its one child policy, there is no such thing as an aunt or an uncle (theoretically, anyway).

Yes very easy to sieze on the negative and elevate to the fore, I have seen first hand the benefit of extended family in close proximity, my wife had over 15 aunts and uncles ( I've lost count after 15) take into account their wives/husbands/children, and the majority lived in a 20 mile radius, most in ajoining villages, we meet them all regularly, one of the reasons my children will spend their younger years in rural Thailand enjoying playing outside having the freedom to roam. They can make the decision to move into the relative solitude and independance of the city when they wish to do so.............

Perhaps you would care to explain how you come to be surrounded by disfunctional families in Thailand?

... 473geo ... you ask me to "explain how you come to be surrounded by disfunctional (sic) families in Thailand?" ... well, sure, professor ... I guess I can do that ... but, I warn you, while I love your enthusiasm, my experiences here do not rise to the idyllic standard of Thai family values you try to defend ... (on this thread, it seems I am not entirely alone on this point).

... I adopted and am raising four abandoned Thai children (not orphaned Thai children, to be distinct) ... their stories are all equally sad ... making lifelong commitments as this does not happen arbitrarily, nor do I make them lightly ... I lived quite up-close and personal in Thailand for a decade before arriving at a point of commitment.

... you can get no better a close-up view of dysfunctional Thai families (or, the human wreckage they cause), by volunteering at Mercy Centre, the Klongtoey orphanage run by Father Joe Maier, or any number of others (all will gratefully accept whatever time you can offer, if you really care to get close to it) ... follow the history of any one of these children back to their homes ... from there, reach out into the surrounding communities from which these abandoned children come ... as doubtful as their prospects for full and joyful lives are, many of the children living in Thai orphanages are the lucky ones ... even though they have living mothers and fathers.

... I've taken but four into my life ... there are countless more for whom escape is impossible.

... and, one more thing ... let me be real clear about this, smart-ass ... I do not need "to sieze (sic) on the negative and elevate to the fore" to validate myself, what I do, or the obvious despair with which I and other volunteers deal and many Thais endure here ... your presumptuous, vacuous accusation is offensive and pisses me off ... keep that smug, self-indulgent crap for the lectern, professor.

Edited by swillowbee

"A number of men had their first time with friends of lovers"...How does this happen??, unless the "lover" never had sex with the guy...not much of a lover then....LOL

You have to understand the difference between a "fan" and a "gik". DO NOT EVER refer to your girlfriend as a gik, not while she can hear you anyway!

... 473geo ... you ask me to "explain how you come to be surrounded by disfunctional (sic) families in Thailand?" ... well, sure, professor ... I guess I can do that ... but, I warn you, while I love your enthusiasm, my experiences here do not rise to the idyllic standard of Thai family values you try to defend ... (on this thread, it seems I am not entirely alone on this point).

... I adopted and am raising four abandoned Thai children (not orphaned Thai children, to be distinct) ... their stories are all equally sad ... making lifelong commitments as this does not happen arbitrarily, nor do I make them lightly ... I lived quite up-close and personal in Thailand for a decade before arriving at a point of commitment.

... you can get no better a close-up view of dysfunctional Thai families (or, the human wreckage they cause), by volunteering at Mercy Centre, the Klongtoey orphanage run by Father Joe Maier, or any number of others (all will gratefully accept whatever time you can offer, if you really care to get close to it) ... follow the history of any one of these children back to their homes ... from there, reach out into the surrounding communities from which these abandoned children come ... as doubtful as their prospects for full and joyful lives are, many of the children living in Thai orphanages are the lucky ones ... even though they have living mothers and fathers.

... I've taken but four into my life ... there are countless more for whom escape is impossible.

... and, one more thing ... let me be real clear about this, smart-ass ... I do not need "to sieze (sic) on the negative and elevate to the fore" to validate myself, what I do, or the obvious despair with which I and other volunteers deal and many Thais endure here ... your presumptuous, vacuous accusation is offensive and pisses me off ... keep that smug, self-indulgent crap for the lectern, professor.

Good on you for your response and your real sacrifices to help the disadvantaged. Father Joe (and you too) must be an amazing guy.

Good on you for your response and your real sacrifices to help the disadvantaged. Father Joe (and you too) must be an amazing guy.

... your comment brings to me a smile, but only because it is a bit misguided ... guys like Father Joe, and all too rare others as him who bear and do far more than any of us can imagine, are the truly amazing guys ... just remarkable people ... to have these kids in our lives, guys like me are the lucky ones ... it is tough, tough stuff at times ... but, at the end of the day, who is luckier than me, eh? ... honest to God, I mean that ... the scariest and best thing I ever did in quite a full life.

Edited by swillowbee