What Do Reckon "Is It Me Or What"

DEVATSAR

Hi all.

I have to get this off mt chest, its happening 90% of the time and for me its "the norm", Its just one thing that I cant work out, see what you reckon

I go and buy something is small shop or stall , say I buy a pair of shorts (for example) the shorts come to baht. I hand over a 500 baht note, The owner looks at me, and starts flapping about looking for change IE baht. He/she looks at me and says something I dont understand, they then shout over to someone and then a discussions ensues and one of them dissaeras for while and hands over the change!

Now i know its not a real problem BUT its bloody constant, I'm constantly ( under my breath) mouthing HERE WE GO AGAIN. If you hand over a 1000 baht note well thats even a bigger problem !! They run off in all differing directions looking for change, or they stand there havind a group meeting discussing what to do next !!

The classic one, Go into 7/11 everyday, some one, same place ,same staff. I ask for BOX OF MARLBORO RED clearly and concise and always say please. The SAME assistant looks at me, same gormless expression on her face, I now play the game and say nothing and just look at here saying nothing. I wait for about 10 seconds maintain a pleasant smile and just nod. Not saying anything. I wait for, here it comes............

She then repeats BOX OF RED MARLBORO RED .... AAAAGGGHHH !!! I just shake my head in disbelief and wander out the shop still bemused. Is it me or what LOL

Can anybody give reasonable explanation of this phenomenon ( had to get this of my chest) lol

Does this happen to you ??

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never happens to me - I know better than to go into some mom&pop shop and buy a 'blank" Bt item (you left the price out in your post) and pay with a 500 or worse, a 1000 baht note.:blink:

Yeh sorry sholud be 300 baht

Ok, shouldn't be a problem unless you're changing out of your old ones in the shop!:o

No happens all the time. Somedays when you have 10k in your pocket you can't buy anything because the money you have is worthless. I would go to the market with a 1000 baht bill and can't buy anything because no one would change it. So I would have to go to 7/11. They get annoyed because they have to put the bill in the safe under the counter and wait for the change to come out of the automatic safe.

Some day I just want to go to the bank and change for a pack of 20s or 50s.

No happens all the time. Somedays when you have 10k in your pocket you can't buy anything because the money you have is worthless. I would go to the market with a 1000 baht bill and can't buy anything because no one would change it. So I would have to go to 7/11. They get annoyed because they have to put the bill in the safe under the counter and wait for the change to come out of the automatic safe.

Some day I just want to go to the bank and change for a pack of 20s or 50s.

I think it's easier for you to go to the bank than some shop keeper - why don't you carry small money when you go shopping?

To the OP, don't know how long you've been in Thailand but one thing you need to learn quickly for your sake,

is patience, remember that you are speaking a foreign language to these shop workers so for them to understand you

need to speak slowly and clearly.

Don't expect them to remember you, and what you usually buy either, as they're not always the sharpest pencils in the box.

But patience is the key.

Break larger notes at tesco or big c or go to the bank & ask them to break them down. Most small shop owners do not carry a large float, thai people tend to buy things with small notes or coins, esp in markets. Alot of these people are living on the bread line, 1k baht is a lot of money.

As for the ciggie in 7 thing, learn how to ask for it in thai, this is thailand after all. ;)

I remember 11 years ago when I first came to Thailand having this problem everyday in every shop. I remember moaning about it. I can't remember the last time it happened though, especially in a shop like 7/11.

In any shop in any country, I always aopolgise if I only have a big note for a small purchase. It's a pain in the arse for them.

If you know these shops do this, why don't you just make sure you have small money when you use them?

I always try to carry 5 or 6 100 baht notes plus a couple 50 and the 20's come as change. When i get down to 2 or 3 100's I pay with a large bill, some where that can handle it. coins go to pay for my coffee in mornings, tips, parking, etc. The blank, glazed eye look will eventually come around to one of recognition as to your request. They are probably stunned by your good looks so they have to shift from fantasy to service mode.

i am assuming that you are ordering in english and that may be where the problem lies ....

learn how to oreder MARLBORO RED in thai.

it's easy, just say "MARLBORO DENG", and hold up one finger.

DENG (meaning "red") is an easy word to get right without much chance of a tonal confusion.

avoid trying to say the word for packet which is "SONG" and can easily be tonally mispronounced by a farang to mean "two", and the poor shop assistant will then hand you two packets of smokes instead of one.

the 1000 baht note dilemma . . . I get odd amounts from the ATM, eg 9900 baht at least gives some smaller notes to start with, and break 1000s every time I'm at 7/11, gas station, places where I know change won't be an issue.

Works for me.

Hi 'DEVASTAR' I don't have a problem with you over the two issues you have highlighted, and yes, they happen to me as well. So I understand what you're saying. However, the first issue; getting change! Have you ever worked in the retail business? You know keeping hold of a change float is one of the biggest issues in a shop, customers don't think about this as they hand over large bills…….And yes a 500 or 1000 is a big deal to a small Thai shop, buying change from banks is expensive believe it or not.

To save myself……and the small shop owner grief, I do the following; I use large bill in large shops…, Malls and such, that always leaves me small bills for the little guy!

Your second point…….Don't hold your breath, but you may get some jip for way you described you actions in 7/11, (my GF speaks good English and she does as you describe)

Just remember this is their second language, you know I can't count the number of times I have been asked a question in Thai and I will have to think, (in the mean time I must look like I'm having a stroke while trawling thought my Thai data bank for the correct answer)………..So don't be too hard on them, a!

I remember on one of my first visits to Thailand I needed batteries for my walkman (yeah, it was that long ago, all you whippersnappers). I asked at several mom and pop shops and received blank stares. Traipsed back to the hotel to ask what the Thai word for 'battery' was.

"Bat-a-LEE", I was told. Emphasis on the "lee". Returned to the same shop and found that, miraculously, I'd been transformed into a fluent battery buyer.

And I paid in 20's

OP can do the same.

T

Wonder if its an English thing expecting others to speak your language while your in a foreign country.

Its Thailand learn to speak a bit of Thai and you wont have problems getting your fags.

Also never use big bills in mom and pop shops or on markets they usually just don't have any change. Pretty much like everyone said.

I

I remember on one of my first visits to Thailand I needed batteries for my walkman (yeah, it was that long ago, all you whippersnappers). I asked at several mom and pop shops and received blank stares. Traipsed back to the hotel to ask what the Thai word for 'battery' was.

"Bat-a-LEE", I was told. Emphasis on the "lee". Returned to the same shop and found that, miraculously, I'd been transformed into a fluent battery buyer.

And I paid in 20's

OP can do the same.

T

Cant smoke a battery I will try the pronunciation of malbourgh different ,how about mawbala, or mowbera,or maleburrow, on and on LOL

No problem with change in 7-11, but I do get the daily 'which box does he want? soft or hard?' ritual with the cigarettes.

Some seem to assume that I want the hard box, apparently foreigners like a hard box! They ask each other, correct each other, pass a few different boxes of cigarettes around until they're reasonably sure that they've got the right one.

I just wait, smile and tell them 'arai gor dai khap' every day, in the same shop with the same people.

Not really a hassle, just another thing to smile about . :)

No problem with change in 7-11, but I do get the daily 'which box does he want? soft or hard?' ritual with the cigarettes.

Some seem to assume that I want the hard box, apparently foreigners like a hard box! They ask each other, correct each other, pass a few different boxes of cigarettes around until they're reasonably sure that they've got the right one.

I just wait, smile and tell them 'arai gor dai khap' every day, in the same shop with the same people.

Not really a hassle, just another thing to smile about . :)

Exaclty Right !!!!!!!, makes you wonder though why !

Never happens to me - I know better than to go into some mom&pop shop and buy a 'blank" Bt item (you left the price out in your post) and pay with a 500 or worse, a 1000 baht note.:blink:

Nor I. As some of us understand how things work without taking issue and coming across foolish.

I

And I paid in 20's

OP can do the same.

T

Cant smoke a battery I will try the pronunciation of malbourgh different ,how about mawbala, or mowbera,or maleburrow, on and on LOL

Yes, it's a shame we can't smoke batteries; they may kill us faster, but at least they'd be cheaper if we used the rechargeable ones. :)

T