Yingluck Pledges To Eradicate 80% Of Drugs Within One Year

Lite Beer

PM pledges to eradicate 80% of drugs within one year

image_2011091116562557EA9CF2-E716-D7B6-CC71294EBAC93155.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 11 - Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Sunday launched an anti-narcotics operation as a national agenda with the aim to eradicate 80 per cent of drug use and drug trafficking within one year.

Ms Yingluck inaugurated the national agenda operation Sunday morning. The event was also attended by Interior Minister Yongyuth Vichaidit, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, Army chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha and representatives from other concerned agencies.

The premier said the current drug situation is more severe than in 2007 when some 400,000 people were arrested on drug-related charges. In 2011 narcotics reportedly spread to 80,000 villages across the country and the number of persons involved with drugs has reached 1.3 million.

The government will suppress drug trafficking and use aiming to reduce the problem by 80 per cent within a year under the seven plans such as law enforcement, international cooperation, interception of drug traffickers along the borders and strengthening local community power to fight against drugs, according to the prime minister.

Ms Yingluck said that four aspects which will be improved are the intelligence work, the role of concerned officials, law and regulations and the attitude of the local community towards drugs.

The premier has appointed Deputy Premier Chalerm to head the centre for the administration of anti-narcotics operations.

Mr Chalerm on Sunday said the government's target to eliminate drugs in one year does not mean that drug problems will be totally eradicated but that the operations will reduce risks to the wider community and reduce the number of drug addicts.

The deputy premier stated the government also needs cooperation from the army to help prevent drugs trafficking along the borders, at the same time, lay out measures to bar substrates and trade on drugs.

The operations will be based on mercy, the rule of law and area-centred problem-solving, he said.

The launching of the anti-narcotics operations came only a few days after a military border task force seized an unusually large number of illicit drugs including 3.4 kilogrammes of heroin and 95 kg of crystal methamphetamine, worth some US$33 million.

The drugs were believed to be smuggled from neighbour Myanmar. The eastern part of the neighbouring country is home to ethnic minorities, some of whom are believed to be major heroin and methamphetamine traffickers. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-09-11

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a Thaksinista adjustment. Thaksin Drug War Lite. Instead of 100 percent, 80 percent. Instead of 3 months, one year. It would also be nice if they could not do the thousands of extra-judicial killings that happened last time under the last Thaksin regime. Too optimistic to hope for that?

Edited by Jingthing

Don't care how she gets rid if them as long as she does. Extra-judicial "no plop-plem".

So let's get this straight. You favor the cold blooded mass murder of

-- SUSPECTED drug dealers

-- SUSPECTED drug users

-- people who happen to be in the general vicinity of same (men, women, children, babies) when the bullets are flying

OK, the THAI public seemed to be cool with all that last time, and may still be cool with that. But most of us here on the forum are westerners with different values. We don't need to apologize for or change our core moral values when we enter at BKK.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Don't care how she gets rid if them as long as she does. Extra-judicial "no plop-plem".

-- SUSPECTED drug users

-- people who happen to be in the general vicinity of same (men, women, children, babies) when the bullets are flying

OK, the THAI public seemed to be cool with all that last time, and may still be cool with that. But most of us here on the forum are westerners with different values. We don't need to apologize for or change our core moral values when we enter at BKK.

It was cool to the local people (and to me) because we are realists not starry-eyed idealists.

There is no such thing as a suspected drug dealer. The cops, and everyone else, knows who is who, and that the legal system is often not up to dealing with people of influence. Bullet in the head is the only way of making sure some people end up where they belong.

-- SUSPECTED drug users

It was cool to the local people (and to me) because we are realists not starry-eyed idealists.

There is no such thing as a suspected drug dealer. The cops, and everyone else, knows who is who, and that the legal system is often not up to dealing with people of influence. Bullet in the head is the only way of making sure some people end up where they belong.

I very much doubt that the BIB are going to shoot themselves.... who do you think allows it to happen..for a small fee of course.

Just look at the gambling dens in BKK 4 high ranking officers involved but no bribes paid. Why? because the officers were the owners of the gambling dens and the police the employees. B)

• Like 1

same shit, different year

bodies will pile up, prices will go up, go go girls will get fatter, major dealers will make more money, police will make more money, officials will make more money

the circle of death amongst minor dealers, sellers and users will continue regardless

nothing will change............

Mispost. I meant the bullet to the head post.

I find this offensive nonsense.

Within one year? Don't they usually give these never to be achieved goals a six month time frame?

Failing to succeed must be taking longer these days i guess.

She needs to differentiate herself some way from the master, yes?

Edited by dru2

same shit, different year

deja vu all over again...

Rah Rah Rah! Only Thaksin could eliminate all the drugs throughout all areas of the whole country!

drugfree2.jpg

drugfree.jpg

Thaksin declares the country 'drug free area'

"The government is pleased to announce that the country is now a drug-free area and will proclaim victory in its war on drugs," said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

- The Nation / April 13, 2003

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Thaksin-declares-the-country-drug-free-area-77076.html

================================================

2,500 slaughtered in order to make some asinine, absurd, patently false claim.

I hope this initiative is a major success............

Not really much else to say unless you support the supply or use of illegal drugs......

Unless of course you wish to turn the announcement of a good initiative into yet another Thaksin bashing thread........:coffee1:

• Like 2

The premier has appointed Deputy Premier Chalerm to head the centre for the administration of anti-narcotics operations.

Chalerm has got more appointments than the clap doctor after the navy has visited. Talk about a one man show.

Chalerm & Sons already had a crack at it...

Interior Minister appoints his son as Anti-Drug Committee Member

The Interior Minister appointed one of his sons as a member of the special committee to tackle drug problems.

Major Duang Yoobamrung, the son of Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, was appointed to work with the Interior Ministry's Drug Suppression Committee, which is a special unit that supports operations to reduce drug problems.

The official letter of his appointment was signed by his farther, the Interior Minister himself, on July 4th, 2008.

TAN Network - July 5, 2008

-- SUSPECTED drug users

I recall one family killed in their home because they had suddenly become rich, therefore must be drug dealers. They had won the lottery - how lucky can you get?

-- SUSPECTED drug users

In which case how did they manage to get it so horribly wrong last time ? Your confidence is misplaced IMO.

-- SUSPECTED drug users

I recall one family killed in their home because they had suddenly become rich, therefore must be drug dealers. They had won the lottery - how lucky can you get?

maybe this lucky?

This guy wins $181 million in the lottery last Wednesday and then finds the love of his life just 2 days later.

Talk about LUCK!

post-45550-0-54979000-1315741733_thumb.j

We all know how this will happen. To get rid of 80% of drug dealers = kill the competition. To get rid of 80% of drug users is to get rid of the low end users, since the majority of people in Thailand can't afford chic drugs, they'll take out the low level users, and leave the remaining 20% of dealers/users for the high-so people. When Thaksin did it, they weren't affected.......

This seems pretty staged to me, with the big drug bust and all, no one caught, now an excuse for the Shinawatra's to eradicate the competition even farther..........

Same tactic as before, too bad the population is too afraid to say anything, or too stupid to realize what's going on......

-- SUSPECTED drug users

I very much doubt that the BIB are going to shoot themselves.... who do you think allows it to happen..for a small fee of course.

Just look at the gambling dens in BKK 4 high ranking officers involved but no bribes paid. Why? because the officers were the owners of the gambling dens and the police the employees. B)

I assume for the time being the deaths will be kept to a minimum. Of course when they upgrade it to a War on Drugs then all bets are off as collateral damage will become acceptable :whistling:

-- SUSPECTED drug users

In which case how did they manage to get it so horribly wrong last time ? Your confidence is misplaced IMO.

I disagree with your premise that they got it "horribly wrong" last time.

-- SUSPECTED drug users

And let's not forget the largest demographic here, which is:

-- ANYONE THE COPS DON'T LIKE (also known as "our competitors in the drug trade").

Yes, I realize that. They also belong on the shoot to kill list.

i think it would be a good start if they shot everyone that wore their baseball cap back to front

followed by those people who wear sunglasses indoors without a good medical reason

if they did not qualify in the preceding categories, i think Lawyers, Estate Agents and MP's should be given a critical looking at too...........

Yes, I realize that. They also belong on the shoot to kill list.

i think it would be a good start if they shot everyone that wore their baseball cap back to front

followed by those people who wear sunglasses indoors without a good medical reason

if they did not qualify in the preceding categories, i think Lawyers, Estate Agents and MP's should be given a critical looking at too...........

I'm with ya, buddy.