Yingluck Pledges To Eradicate 80% Of Drugs Within One Year

Lite Beer

I disagree with your premise that they got it "horribly wrong" last time.

How is getting it wrong at-least 50% of the time a success ? Too many innocent people were killed, without any chance to prove their innocence, setting targets for each province was too simplistic an approach.

And did they ever manage to hit any serious-dealers ???

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An impossible thing to 'eradicate 80% of drugs in Thailand' within 1 year !

Education is the best way to stop drug use in Thailand, this of course requires time and money....

But hey look at the lengths the Thai government took to educate people about HIV-AIDS in the 80's 90's! A campaign that worked in drastically reducing the rate of HIV infection, and was noted worldwide! If the Thai government could put the same amount of time and money into the anti drugs message then maybe it could work

• Like 1

I disagree with your premise that they got it "horribly wrong" last time.

How is getting it wrong at-least 50% of the time a success ? Too many innocent people were killed, without any chance to prove their innocence, setting targets for each province was too simplistic an approach.

And did they ever manage to hit any serious-dealers ???

I disagree thait it was at least 50% wrong. More like 99% right, in my opinion.

Drugs are purchased by the common Thais

Drugs are sold to the common person by Thais

one can never stop the sale of drugs as both sides exist

American 100 times more profesional than the Thai Police can not stop drugs

My god some people must be really using these drugs to believe what come out of her mouth

Don't care how she gets rid if them as long as she does. Extra-judicial "no plop-plem".

So let's get this straight. You favor the cold blooded mass murder of

-- SUSPECTED drug dealers

-- SUSPECTED drug users

-- people who happen to be in the general vicinity of same (men, women, children, babies) when the bullets are flying

OK, the THAI public seemed to be cool with all that last time, and may still be cool with that. But most of us here on the forum are westerners with different values. We don't need to apologize for or change our core moral values when we enter at BKK.

It was cool to the local people (and to me) because we are realists not starry-eyed idealists.

There is no such thing as a suspected drug dealer. The cops, and everyone else, knows who is who, and that the legal system is often not up to dealing with people of influence. Bullet in the head is the only way of making sure some people end up where they belong.

Didn't I read a story about a couple who were murdered by police as suspected drug dealers because they started spending more than usual, and it turned-out that their only crime was winning the lottery?

(Sorry, it was a while ago and I don't have a link).

As stated earlier, "everyone deserves their day in court".

My god some people must be really using these drugs to believe what come out of her mouth

Am I correct in thinking that an initiative to eradicate the growing of cannabis and opium in Thailand was very successful, if so then the Thai got that right......yes?

Don't care how she gets rid if them as long as she does. Extra-judicial "no plop-plem".

-- SUSPECTED drug users

-- people who happen to be in the general vicinity of same (men, women, children, babies) when the bullets are flying

And let's not forget the largest demographic here, which is:

-- ANYONE THE COPS DON'T LIKE (also known as "our competitors in the drug trade").

precisely! it should be noted that the previous shinawatra administration's widely publicised "war" wasn't actually the war "against the drugs trade" it was the war "for the drugs trade".

Never happen! Round up all the dealers and shoot them and the next day someone will replace them.

People in high places control the distribution of drugs and like we all know.......money talks!

Rounding up toothless drug riddled dealers doesn't solve the problem!

Education is the key but this is long term and still will not get near the numbers quoted! If people want to do drugs there will always be people to sell them.

Drugs have been around since the rise of man and will still be there at our demise!

Oh, and kill innocent ones like they did last time? If it is to happen once more, maybe you'll be on their list singing a different tune. Get a clue what you're saying, sheesh.

I like the Prime Minister's goal and from what I read there are a lot of easy pickings where drug sales are openly made by foreigners. Clean them out, jail them, deport them and ban them from ever re-entering Thailand again.

Thais that are sellers or users could be jailed and then used as unpaid laborers for awhile to continue to watch them/keep them from drugs and pay back the government for the expense of jailing them until they are clean of drugs via drug tests.

Please, no killings by the government if it can be avoided but keep the police officers safe when apprehending the criminals.

Oh, and kill innocent ones like they did last time? If it is to happen once more, maybe you'll be on their list singing a different tune. Get a clue what you're saying, sheesh.

How many do you reckon were innocent, Cowboy? I reckon none -- or close to it. Collateral damage.

How many do you reckon were innocent, Cowboy? I reckon none -- or close to it. Collateral damage.

Most were innocent. You weren't here during the Thaksin reign of terror, the war on drugs, or even Tak Bai?

How many had a fair trial? How many were shot on the spot?

I hope none of your neighbours are on the list. You may get caught in the crossfire. However as you say collateral damage aka shit happens

Finally the war on drugs is back. I'm really excited about this. If sacrifices have to be made for the cause of the greater good, then let it be. It's time to show tough stance against drug trafficking or drug abusers. One of the reasons why drug eradication failed in many countries is because their stance is too weak, Once they implement the death sentence regardless of the amount carried, these clowns will use their grey matter for once.

• Like 1

I was here.

They were not innocent.

It was an extremely successful project that was overwhelmingly embraced by the Thai people.

Oh really? Taken to court, given a fair trial, evidence against them proven? Drug and urine tests? Everyone knows what you're saying is crap, and you sound like the gestapo at the same time. Collateral damage huh? Careful what you wish on others, you might be among them.

Does not matter if it is Thailand or near any other country.

The goal of 80 % is impossible.

Her Government policy should include the means to legally process all the arrested drug dealers and drug consumers and the means to imprison all the newly incarcerated citizens.

I am envisioning how many people in the next year will be thrown into jail and eventually imprisoned and the unbearable over crowding in the prisons that will surely occur.

Most of the drug users will be your average citizen who has broken the law. They should be prosecuted and will be prosecuted and more than likely end up in prison.

Most people would agree if you do the crime you have to do the time but the judicial system here in Thailand is somewhat of a joke, as we all know, and the prison system here in Thailand is one of the worst in the world.

If she really wants to be well loved and a really smart politician she should use the drug problems to her advantage and talk about drug related reforms and develope reforms for the prison system and programs to wean the drug users off the drugs while dealing with the drug dealers in creative legal ways that seriously effect their drug trade operations.

How excatly I can not suggest but the wide spread use of police thugs and the military thugs to be used to start arresting anyone and everyone who is even suspected of drug dealing or drug consuming is going to cause near as many problems as it is trying to eliminate.

It could include foreigners suspected of some kinds of complicity and used as policy for harrasing foreigners.

It could get out of control and borderline on stupidity

Everyone witnessed the last drug crack down and how it has not done much to stop the drug dealing and or consumption.

Rather than simply arrest them all and then prosecute them all she should have a well thought out plan as to how the whole judicial system and the prison system is going to handle all the new drug related cases and all the new prison inmates.

We all know that many high ranking officials and military personal and politicians are commonly connected and or profit from the drug trade that increases year by year here in Thailand.

Those are the untouchables.

We all know they will not be the ones suffering any penalties and or going to prison except in the cases where they are used a convenient scape goats.

She will be exposing her own political allies and police officers and military officers if she seriously goes after the major perpetrators of the drug trade here in Thailand.

She could even be the first prime minister to be assasinated if she pursues the matter too vigorously.

We also know the police and politicians and military will use this as a means to eliminate the opposition and reposition themselves when the heat is off them, sooner or later.

There is no way she can reach the 80% goal and she should not have announced that figure and in the manner that she did.

She should have told the public: "We are going to slowly eliminated as much of the drug trade and drug consumption as humanly possible considering the enormous amount of obstacles that we have to overcome"

Actually she should not announce anything as all she has done is forewarn the drug dealers to be more clever and intelligent in the ways they go about doing their drug business and all their other sinister and nefarious activities.

• Like 1

Am I correct in thinking that an initiative to eradicate the growing of cannabis and opium in Thailand was very successful, if so then the Thai got that right......yes?

American DEA funded and enforced program... that's why it worked.

And yes there ARE good Thai policemen. BUT there are many more that will at the least turn a blind eye ti what's going on..

-- SUSPECTED drug users

OK, the THAI public seemed to be cool with all that last time, and may still be cool with that. But most of us here on the forum are westerners with different values. We don't need to apologize for or change our core moral values when we enter at BKK.

It was cool to the local people (and to me) because we are realists not starry-eyed idealists.

There is no such thing as a suspected drug dealer. The cops, and everyone else, knows who is who, and that the legal system is often not up to dealing with people of influence. Bullet in the head is the only way of making sure some people end up where they belong.

you have no clue what you are talking about. during the last drug war our village lost a wife and husband to this.

they had won the thai lottery and so were buying a lot of new stuff. pickup, land etc. they preferred to remain anonymos and keep their win to themselves. the locals started gossiping that they were drug dealers, so the police came and executed them both. they took their pickup and cash. only later was it found out they won the lottery and were infact innocent. the police to this day have never gave back the cash or pickup. so what do you say now......... is there still no such thing as a suspected drug dealer.:annoyed: