90 Day Check In Farce!

PostmanPat

Well, to each their own, but making an online appointment and just going out there seems a lot easier

Except that is not the purpose of the online appointment system. It is for extensions as shown on the online queue form. Using it for 90 day reporting prevents someone who needs the appointment, for the time consuming extensions, from getting a slot.

It is for anything you need to do at immigration. That is what they told me.

Quote from the on-line queue form: "Reason for extension visa". You should NOT use it for quick and trivial things like a 90-day report.

/ Priceless

I know it says that. I will use it for anything I need to do there.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, to each their own, but making an online appointment and just going out there seems a lot easier

Except that is not the purpose of the online appointment system. It is for extensions as shown on the online queue form. Using it for 90 day reporting prevents someone who needs the appointment, for the time consuming extensions, from getting a slot.

Quote from the on-line queue form: "Reason for extension visa". You should NOT use it for quick and trivial things like a 90-day report.

/ Priceless

Well, we supplicants may consider the 90 day report trivial, but Thai Immigration doesn't, otherwise they wouldn't require it.

And, no, its not always quick, that was the whole point of the OP. I too have had to wait nearly 3 hours to get it done.

/ Priceless

Well, we supplicants may consider the 90 day report trivial, but Thai Immigration doesn't, otherwise they wouldn't require it.

And, no, its not always quick, that was the whole point of the OP. I too have had to wait nearly 3 hours to get it done.

Two very good points. Just try ignoring the "trivial" 90 day report and watch what happens.

While we are on the triviality (or not) of the whole bloody rigmarole, I always find myself wondering just how (and why) our esteemed Immigration officers store all those copies - 4 or 5 pages every 3 months, many more at 12 months. After yer Falangi has been here a few years, this mounts up to a fine wodge, maybe 5 inches thick and weighing in at a kilo or three. And so many copies of the same pages out the same passport! And what for? And where do they keep all that? And why??

Oh well, ours is not to reason why, ours is but to photocopy, and sigh....

/ Priceless

Two very good points. Just try ignoring the "trivial" 90 day report and watch what happens.

And just try missing your visa extension deadline and see what happens. A significantly bigger issue than late on a 90 day report. A couple of members have reported long waits, but seems the majority do not. I've never waited more than 30 minutes in the last couple of years for 90 day handling. Yes, it's all in planning the timing.

And just try missing your visa extension deadline and see what happens. A significantly bigger issue than late on a 90 day report. A couple of members have reported long waits, but seems the majority do not. I've never waited more than 30 minutes in the last couple of years for 90 day handling. Yes, it's all in planning the timing.

It is indeed all in planning the timing. I personally will plan the time via the online appointment system and show up on time for visa extension, 90 day reporting, and any other reason I may have to be there. I don't believe there is anything anyone on Thaivisa can do about it, except whine.

Edited by mesquite

I don't believe there is anything anyone on Thaivisa can do about it, except whine.

Or display childish/selfish behavior. :whistling: There are only 6 one hour time slots per day. Reserving via online queue for 90 day reporting is kicking a lot of people with critical extensions to stay in Thailand off. 90 day reporting you can go anytime of the day, while extensions, if you are not there in the first couple of hours, you won't get in - they close the machine.

I don't believe there is anything anyone on Thaivisa can do about it, except whine.

Or display childish/selfish behavior. :whistling: There are only 6 one hour time slots per day. Reserving via online queue for 90 day reporting is kicking a lot of people with critical extensions to stay in Thailand off. 90 day reporting you can go anytime of the day, while extensions, if you are not there in the first couple of hours, you won't get in - they close the machine.

No one has reported on TV being unable to find an available appointment slot for visa extension. Several have reported waiting significant amounts of time for 90 day reporting.

But none of this makes any difference. Immigration told me I could use the appointment system for any reason and I will take them at their word. Anything else is just a bunch of farangs writing opinions that mean nothing.

It is indeed all in planning the timing. I personally will plan the time via the online appointment system and show up on time for visa extension, 90 day reporting, and any other reason I may have to be there. I don't believe there is anything anyone on Thaivisa can do about it, except whine.

Actually I think that you're right. Why should we bow to their authority and e.g. mail in our 90-day reports. It's much more fun to abuse the new on-line system by using it for what it is obviously not intended for. With a bit of luck we may even get them to tire of the whole idea and close the system down. Then we can get back to the venerable old tradition of waiting for a half or a whole day in queue for an extension of stay.

/ Priceless

Actually I think that you're right. Why should we bow to their authority and e.g. mail in our 90-day reports. It's much more fun to abuse the new on-line system by using it for what it is obviously not intended for. With a bit of luck we may even get them to tire of the whole idea and close the system down. Then we can get back to the venerable old tradition of waiting for a half or a whole day in queue for an extension of stay.

/ Priceless

If the online system ever fills up, they will add more online appointments. HELLO, THEY WANT US TO USE THE ONLINE SYSTEM. THAT'S WHY THEY SAY YOU CAN USE IT FOR ANY REASON. BTW, their authority does not require us to mail in 90 day reports. Their authority gives us several options as has been discussed.

Hopefully they will do away with the local paper queueing system and require an online appointment, as the US consulate did.

Edited by mesquite

/Quote "Why should we bow to their authority" /Unquote

Because, my learned friend, it is their country. That's why they are entitled to make the rules. This is recognised by international law. And you better watch your lip.

Too slow to recognize sarcasm? ;)

As for the comment on the online queue filling up and they will add more online appointments - the appointments are already filling up as I barely got a space 6 weeks out. How can they add to it when it takes an average of one hour to do an annual extension - adding personnel? Probably the 90 day online reservations messing things up for the more serious needs.

Ideally, they would modify the online queueing forms to select either 90 day/re-entry/other short needs or extensions. Selecting the 90 days+ would give you time slice choices every 10 minutes while extensions continue with every hour.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Before we get too hot under the collar on this topic about what is appropriate usage of the online queue reservation system....let me gently offer a few humble notes.

And no, I don't claim to be some Thai immigration expert, or the last word on what is current policy at our local Immigration office.

I personally agree that using the online queue system for a 90 day check-in is an abuse of the system.

I posted earlier on another thread where I showed a screenshot of the CM Imm website queue reservation form.

It clearly asks for reason for visa extension.

If some want to disregard this, and use up 1 hour slots intended for visa extensions, for address reporting or other issues, so be it.

It appears that the Immigration office does not have the ability at this point to screen this inappropriate usage out, nor probably ever will.

But think about it. You use up a 1 hour time slot, intended for a visa extension, for a re-entry permit, or a 90 day report.

Your karma will be black, your children will sicken, and all your fruit trees will die.

Not only that, next time you try to book an appt for your critical annual visa extension renewal....you will be blocked out, permanently, for 1000 years.

OK, just joking about the above.

Below are 2 pieces of evidence from CM Imm, stating the parameters on this issue:

post-23786-0-04082400-1316362164_thumb.j

post-23786-0-79420100-1316361901_thumb.j

cool.gif

Rest assured Immigration has the ability to do anything they want.

They can easily add more slots if they drop an equal number of paper queue numbers. They could make 100% of the appointments online appointments.

If you can only get a queue number for a visa extension, then they wouldn't let someone with that queue number do anything else. Yet I know someone who already did it for the 90 day renewal. Plus when I called, they told me I could use the system for any reason, and that was after the date of your evidence (20/6/2011).

No one has reported on TV being unable to find an available appointment slot for visa extension. Several have reported waiting significant amounts of time for 90 day reporting.

But none of this makes any difference. Immigration told me I could use the appointment system for any reason and I will take them at their word. Anything else is just a bunch of farangs writing opinions that mean nothing.

Me last week.. Couldnt get a online slot and had to get up at 5 something am, to be there at 6:45 (5th in the people waiting), to get in and start an extension process.

My next ones is already booked far in advance, but with only 6 slots a day, on a new system.. I really do hope they take one look at it and tell you to stick to the rules and join the queue.

The written instructions are perfectly clear.

/ Priceless

I know it says that. I will use it for anything I need to do there.

Thanks for ignoring the instructions.. screwing the system.. and making lengthy extension applications harder to do..

Selfish much ??

If the online system ever fills up, they will add more online appointments. HELLO, THEY WANT US TO USE THE ONLINE SYSTEM. THAT'S WHY THEY SAY YOU CAN USE IT FOR ANY REASON. BTW, their authority does not require us to mail in 90 day reports. Their authority gives us several options as has been discussed.

NO THEY DONT !! They say its for visa extension only (please show where in writing it says differently, having been shown in writing where is says it does).

Secondly with only 6 slots per day its OBVIOUS its not for the 100's of people who are doing 90 days.. And it is a brand new system, that few people know about, and already its booking solid.

Try and find a single appointment slot in the next month !! There isnt one until Monday the 17th. Not one. In part thansk to people who are too selfish to stick to the rules and abuse it for everyone else.

NO THEY DONT !! They say its for visa extension only (please show where in writing it says differently, having been shown in writing where is says it does).

Secondly with only 6 slots per day its OBVIOUS its not for the 100's of people who are doing 90 days.. And it is a brand new system, that few people know about, and already its booking solid.

Try and find a single appointment slot in the next month !! There isnt one until Monday the 17th. Not one. In part thansk to people who are too selfish to stick to the rules and abuse it for everyone else.

Sounds like you're angry at yourself for waiting too long to make an online appointment.

Download the screen capture on my post above to see in writing where they accept 90 day appointments.

Regarding the full appointment schedule, there is no way to know how many are "selfish" 90 day appointments and how many are "generous" visa extension appointments.

I really wish I had the enormous influence over Chiang Mai Immigration or the expat population in general as many here accuse me of having. The truth is I'm just an average person who believes in doing the right thing.

Sounds like you're angry at yourself for waiting too long to make an online appointment.

No I have a change of travel plans and it was useful to apply for my visa 30 days earlier than needed, so that the visa extension wouldnt expire while I was out of the country.

Email communication with them this morning they have clearly stated its not for 90 days and they thanked me for the suggestion to make anyone doing so queue and to make it clearer on booking. So hopefully you alerting me to your actions, has pushed them to stopping you in them.

Enjoy your next report.

Since there are still a number of "me first" humans out there, we can only hope CM Immig will either, improve the OnlineQ system to accommodate lesser time slots for 90 day rep or re-entry permits, or simply tell those who show up using the OQ that the OQ is for visa exts and ask them to take a number and wait.

Email communication with them this morning they have clearly stated its not for 90 days and they thanked me for the suggestion to make anyone doing so queue and to make it clearer on booking. So hopefully you alerting me to your actions, has pushed them to stopping you in them.

Enjoy your next report.

If I had a dollar for every farang who has told me that they told Immigration they should do something and then Immigration thanked them and said they would do it....well I guess I'd have five dollars.

Immigration people are very polite, but I doubt if they are going to implement a policy change based on your email.

Below is one piece of evidence from the CM Imm site forum that they are accepting both visa extension and 90 day appointments. Public forum. I guess McGriffith must have missed it.

No, I didn't miss it.

I saw it last week when I was scrolling through all the CM Imm forum requests to answer another question regarding this issue, on another thread.

I interpreted it as either a friendly Imm clerk making an exception to the rules, or simply a flat out error.

I did not interpret, as you did, the simple typed word "accept" in the screen shot you have provided....as carte blanche to use the queue online system for things that ordinarily take 5 minutes to process.

But you know...I really don't care one way or the other if some choose to abuse the system. It seems to be the way of the world, nowadays.

Dog eat dog, get yours first, fark the weak and slow.....:closedeyes:

I did not interpret, as you did, the simple typed word "agree" in the screen shot you have provided....as carte blanche to use the queue online system for things that ordinarily take 5 minutes to process.

But you know...I really don't care one way or the other if some choose to abuse the system. It seems to be the way of the world, nowadays.

Dog eat dog, get yours first, fark the weak and slow.....:closedeyes:

Actually the word is "accept" and it is a response to all three of the appointment requests.

Please re-read the original post. The OP was in immigration for over and hour and a half and still had not been processed. Not 5 minutes.

Using the system for conducting business at immigration is not abusing the system. It is using the system. Those who abuse the system are called "deportees." You and others may think you are being benevolent toward immigration but the fact is they can do their job without any benevolence on the part of the farangs.

I corrected my typo of "agree" to "accept" 5 minutes after my post, mesquite.

Your argument is disingenuous.

The process to do a 90 day is 5 minutes, once one gets to the window.

The fact that some people come in to do a 90 day, and are there for more than 5 minutes in total, is irrelevant to what I was saying, as I am sure you are aware.

The point I was making is that there is nothing we can do to change this system.

All is in the hands of CM Immigration.

If you want to book 90 day appts, using a one hour time slot that could be used by someone who needs to do a visa extension that takes one hour minimum, so be it.

We've got your number, now......;)