Bt100,000 Excise Tax Cut For First-Car Buyers

tpthai2

I was reading those past posts and found this...

However, I don't foresee prices in the lower end of the pickup market dropping much, as the entry price for popular-brand 4-doors still remains out of scope for many buyers, even with the tax incentives.

The only exception is the base model BT-50 4-door, which becomes a real value proposition though with the incentives... Sure it's a very basic truck, but 4-doors and a styleside tray for 530K is a bargain.. Pity company buyers can't take advantage of the incentive, but then again, no company car could last 5 years ;)

...can you explain a little more about this "special" deal on the 4 dr BT-50...they are not out yet,but it will be interesting to know....the 530K for a 4 dr sounds good...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading those past posts and found this...

However, I don't foresee prices in the lower end of the pickup market dropping much, as the entry price for popular-brand 4-doors still remains out of scope for many buyers, even with the tax incentives.

The only exception is the base model BT-50 4-door, which becomes a real value proposition though with the incentives... Sure it's a very basic truck, but 4-doors and a styleside tray for 530K is a bargain.. Pity company buyers can't take advantage of the incentive, but then again, no company car could last 5 years ;)

...can you explain a little more about this "special" deal on the 4 dr BT-50...they are not out yet,but it will be interesting to know....the 530K for a 4 dr sounds good...

My post above was referring to the run-out model BT-50, not the next-gen (which is still ~5 months away)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the Isuzu truck little display in Big C today and there was a banner showing the list of first time buyers refunds...for example the 4 dr AT priced at 915K gets 88K...I think the 2.2 T6 gets only 26K(?)...why such a big difference between them?The other truck priced 789K was getting 77K...that the price close to T6 799K? How do they rate that?

I saw the Isuzu truck little display in Big C today and there was a banner showing the list of first time buyers refunds...for example the 4 dr AT priced at 915K gets 88K...I think the 2.2 T6 gets only 26K(?)...why such a big difference between them?The other truck priced 789K was getting 77K...that the price close to T6 799K? How do they rate that?

2-door pickups have only 3% excise tax, 4 door pickups have 12% excise tax..

The rebate offered is the excise tax value only, with a maximum refund of 100K.

...sorry for the confusion,I guess I was misinformed at the dealer ......so what should be a refund for the 4dr 2.2L T6?...:rolleyes:

...sorry for the confusion,I guess I was misinformed at the dealer ......so what should be a refund for the 4dr 2.2L T6?...:rolleyes:

from the top of my head, a wildtrack at 869k is almost 100k baht, xlt at 799k baht 8k baht less

from the top of my head, a wildtrack at 869k is almost 100k baht, xlt at 799k baht 8k baht less

869,000 baht Wildtrak rebate is 81,000 baht and 799,000 XLT rebate is 76,000 baht according to the literature handed out by Ford.

• 3 weeks later...

Chatting to the manager at my local Ford dealer today who said he wouldn't be surprised ih the Govt tried limiting the amount of people who are refunded to something like the first xx,xxx as the amount they'll have to spend due to the floods will be massive.

The way it's looking, they won't have to be handing out too many rebates anyway - the combination of how much harder it is to qualify for finance, and the lack of supply will bring the numbers down. Your Ford buddy is just in wishful thinking mode, because his previous best seller doesn't qualify.. hehe :D

Also, don't forget that every buyer that gets the 100K max. rebate has still paid a reasonable amount of excise tax, and don't forget it's a tax rebate, so therefore doesn't actually cost the government one Baht, it just reduces revenue ;)

Kinda like me saying "if you give me 150 Baht, I'll rebate you 100 of it in a year's time" ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

my thai friend said100% confirm totally rufund 100k max,not tax rebate.

Chatting to the manager at my local Ford dealer today who said he wouldn't be surprised ih the Govt tried limiting the amount of people who are refunded to something like the first xx,xxx as the amount they'll have to spend due to the floods will be massive.

The way it's looking, they won't have to be handing out too many rebates anyway - the combination of how much harder it is to qualify for finance, and the lack of supply will bring the numbers down. Your Ford buddy is just in wishful thinking mode, because his previous best seller doesn't qualify.. hehe :D

Also, don't forget that every buyer that gets the 100K max. rebate has still paid a reasonable amount of excise tax, and don't forget it's a tax rebate, so therefore doesn't actually cost the government one Baht, it just reduces revenue ;)

Kinda like me saying "if you give me 150 Baht, I'll rebate you 100 of it in a year's time" ;)

my thai friend said100% confirm totally rufund 100k max,not tax rebate.

It's most definitely an excise tax rebate - i.e. you must first pay the exicse tax when purchasing the car, then you get a rebate of up to 100K one year later (so long as you and the car meet all of the req's).

I think you or your friend are getting confused with income tax - it's got nothing to do with that, so if that's what you're trying to say, you're right :D

There's 3 different taxes you pay on Thai-made cars - excise tax, interior tax and VAT - it's the first of those (usually the highest, except for 2-door pickups where VAT is highest) that the program applies to.

For those worried about the poor gov'ts lack of revenue - have no fear - even if you buy a car that qualifies for the full 100K rebate, the Thai gov't has still taken an obscene amount of money out of your pocket ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone have some actual experience in buying a below 1500cc/below 1mio car as a foreigner at this point and reclaiming excise tax? The FAQ/information at http://firstcar.excise.go.th/fc_internet/faq.jsp#4 doesn't really help a lot, because it says ID card (and not specifically Thai ID card) which is often used as a hold-all/generic term for valid personal identification in general (which would include a foreign passport).

So - my question again: any farang tried to buy a new car & filled out gov't forms to apply for a excice tax refund?

Does anyone have some actual experience in buying a below 1500cc/below 1mio car as a foreigner at this point and reclaiming excise tax? The FAQ/information at http://firstcar.exci...ernet/faq.jsp#4 doesn't really help a lot, because it says ID card (and not specifically Thai ID card) which is often used as a hold-all/generic term for valid personal identification in general (which would include a foreign passport).

So - my question again: any farang tried to buy a new car & filled out gov't forms to apply for a excice tax refund?

pretty sure its for Thais only but would be glad to here otherwise.

Does anyone have some actual experience in buying a below 1500cc/below 1mio car as a foreigner at this point and reclaiming excise tax? The FAQ/information at http://firstcar.exci...ernet/faq.jsp#4 doesn't really help a lot, because it says ID card (and not specifically Thai ID card) which is often used as a hold-all/generic term for valid personal identification in general (which would include a foreign passport).

pretty sure its for Thais only but would be glad to here otherwise.

...sure its for Thais only....

No, foreigners won't have that experience since it is for Thais only.

The tax cut is supposed to end on December 31, 2012.

If the car is bought now but delivered in 2013 (very likely given the huge waiting list), would it still be eligible for the rebate?

I don't think that anybody would know that...things can change here anytime...we will have to wait till somebody gets the rebate to actually know if it's for sure...TIT

If the car is bought now but delivered in 2013 (very likely given the huge waiting list), would it still be eligible for the rebate?

I don't think that anybody would know that...things can change here anytime...we will have to wait till somebody gets the rebate to actually know if it's for sure...TIT

I read in the Post they considering extending it to Mid next year. Read this in July.

As far as I'm aware. If a deposit has been paid. Finance sorted (if applicable) and car ordered. Then the rebate applies even if delivered next year.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Came across this while browsing the all revamped www.nissan.co.th website in English... nice site, a few errors...

Tips on how to claim your refund from the first-car scheme

1. Terms and conditions

1.1. The car must be bought from the period of 16th September 2011 to 31st December 2012.

1.2. The maximum retail price is 1,000,000 baht / car.

1.3. The maximum engine size is 1,500 cm3. / pick up car / double cab car.

1.4. The car must be manufactured in Thailand. However, the car that has been assembled from used imported parts is excluded.

1.5. The refund will be credited back to its owner as the real amount paid, but will not exceed 100,000 baht per car.

1.6. The buyer must be over 21 years old.

1.7. The buyer must intend to keep the car in possession for not less than 5 years.

1.8. The full refund will be credited back to its owner at the end of the 1st year after purchasing. (started from 1st October 2011)

2. The first-time car buyers can see the full details of eligible car models and the refund rates at www.excise.go.th

3. There are 2 ways to submit the application forms.

3.1. The Excise Department’s headquarter / The Excise Department’s local offices

3.2. Go to www.excise.go.th

Required documents

• The first-car scheme’s application form

• Copy of ID

• Copy of house registration

• Copy of hire-purchase agreement (if applicable)

• Copy of car registration

• Copy of waiver of transfer ownership within 5 years agreement

• Sales agreement

4. If the buyer wishes to submit the application form via www.excise.go.th (item 3.2), the original copies of required documents must be posted to the Excise Department’s headquarter or its local offices as applicable.

5. If the buyer changes contact address or decides to refinance its car with a different company, the buyer must report this to the Excise Department’s office (as stated in item 3) with the full updated information.

6. The buyer can collect the refund at any local office stated in the application form.

7. The buyer can check the application’s status via www.excise.go.th , at the Excise Department’s local office which he applied to, via E-mail or SMS within 3 months after submission.

8. After 1-year ownership, the buyer will receive a notification letter from the Comptroller General’s Department regarding the refund’s detail (started from 1st October 2011).

9. In case of breaching the terms and conditions stated in the form after been receiving the refund and possessing the car for not less than 5 years, the buyer will be sent a notification and he is obliged to return the money (refund) back to the authority within 15 days.

10. For any further information, please contact hotline 1713 or the Excise Department’s headquarter or its local offices nationwide.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

First of all thanks for all those information, my thai is very bad so it's dificult to understand the official website in thai.

I bought a yaris in the name of my thai wife, and i'm looking to apply for this refund.

My only missing document, is the registration book of the car ( tabian rot, blue book ), as my wife tell me that the bank keep it, and will only give it to us after we finish to pay them...

I don't understand so how everybody do, as they not buy their car in cash for sure !

Thanks in advance, Franck.

Hi,

First of all thanks for all those information, my thai is very bad so it's dificult to understand the official website in thai.

I bought a yaris in the name of my thai wife, and i'm looking to apply for this refund.

My only missing document, is the registration book of the car ( tabian rot, blue book ), as my wife tell me that the bank keep it, and will only give it to us after we finish to pay them...

I don't understand so how everybody do, as they not buy their car in cash for sure !

Thanks in advance, Franck.

Just get a copy of the book...and whatever else they need.