Frozen Uk State Pensions

theoldgit

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. But all those 'asylum seekers' are no worse than foreign wives expecting to receive money from the poor UK taxpayer.

No - those wives are expecting to receive their entitlement based on their husband's national insurance contributions.

Excuse me but rubbish. NOBODY should receive anything from the UK taxpayer that they have not paid for personally.

I agree. But all those 'asylum seekers' are no worse than foreign wives expecting to receive money from the poor UK taxpayer.

No - those wives are expecting to receive their entitlement based on their husband's national insurance contributions.

Excuse me but rubbish. NOBODY should receive anything from the UK taxpayer that they have not paid for personally.

So the idea of the stay at home mother who raises the children and is left without a pension as a result is OK, sorry but you are wrong, the system was designed to protect such people, regardless of whether contributions were paid by them or not.

Don't be so ridiculous.

So the idea of the stay at home mother who raises the children and is left without a pension as a result is OK, sorry but you are wrong, the system was designed to protect such people, regardless of whether contributions were paid by them or not.

I agree, but the system was designed decades ago when men went out to work whilst the woman stayed at home to look after the children.

Things in the UK have changed a lot since then.

Don't be so ridiculous.

Please explain why it is ridiculous to think that only those who have paid should receive benefits from the UK taxpayer?

Especially in these difficult times.

My British pension was frozen when i left in 1973

I am impressed! if you qualified for the state pension and live in one of the countries where there is no reciprocal agreement then the pension is frozen at the rate applicable when you claim it at 65 which means according to your post yours is frozen at 1973 rates which makes you 103! and still posting on the internet!! well done you!

Don't be so ridiculous.

Please explain why it is ridiculous to think that only those who have paid should receive benefits from the UK taxpayer?

The 35 years that I paid contributions were difficult times. Those contributions were paid in the knowledge that my spouse would receive some benefit in the event of my later demise. That was the system, still is the system and is the system on which I based my plans.

"these difficult times" are irrelevant to the contract that I believe I had with the British government and I certainly have no intention of suffering now for high profile <deleted> ups by recent incumbents of government and financial institution posts.

Don't be so ridiculous.

The 35 years that I paid contributions were difficult times. Those contributions were paid in the knowledge that my spouse would receive some benefit in the event of my later demise. That was the system, still is the system and is the system on which I based my plans.

"these difficult times" are irrelevant to the contract that I believe I had with the British government and I certainly have no intention of suffering now for high profile <deleted> ups by recent incumbents of government and financial institution posts.

I agree, well said.

Don't be so ridiculous.

YOU paid in and are entitled to personal benefits. Why on earth would your wife be entitled to the same benefits if you are not even living in the UK?

Edit - if your wife has been living in the UK all her life (bringing up your children), then doubtless she will be entitled to a pension too.

If however she is a foreigner that has never lived there or paid taxes - why the hell should the UK taxpayer pay out?

Edited by F1fanatic

YOU paid in and are entitled to personal benefits. Why on earth would your wife be entitled to the same benefits if you are not even living in the UK?

Edit - if your wife has been living in the UK all her life (bringing up your children), then doubtless she will be entitled to a pension too.

If however she is a foreigner that has never lived there or paid taxes - why the hell should the UK taxpayer pay out?

Because I paid in under a system (and therefore 'law') that said my wife had entitlements based on my contributions. That was the rule.

I would be quite prepared to debate whether that system was fair or otherwise - I suspect I would share your view. Rather like the 'frozen pensions' fairness' or 'right' is not the issue. The current legal entitlement or otherwise IS.

Because I paid in under a system (and therefore 'law') that said my wife had entitlements based on my contributions. That was the rule.

I would be quite prepared to debate whether that system was fair or otherwise - I suspect I would share your view. Rather like the 'frozen pensions' fairness' or 'right' is not the issue. The current legal entitlement or otherwise IS.

I've lost track of the argument :lol:!

At the end of the day if you and your wife are living in the UK you are both entitled to UK benefits.

If you and your wife are not, then 'the system' is that you are only entitled to those built up by your own personal payments (I think).

I doubt the 'system' has changed v much as far as wives are concerned. Brit born, entitled to pension - not Brit born and never having paId into the 'system' (or even living there), entitled to zilch. Sounds about right to me.

Edited by F1fanatic

At the end of the day if you and your wife are living in the UK you are both entitled to UK benefits.

If you and your wife are not, then 'the system' is that you are only entitled to those built up by your own personal payments (I think).

I doubt the 'system' has changed v much as far as wives are concerned. Brit born, entitled to pension - not Brit born and never having paId into the 'system' (or even living there), entitled to zilch. Sounds about right to me.

I think we have stopped arguing :lol:.

I believe that the system is that if I have made contributions my wife will be entitled to a pension in her own right irrespective of whether she is in the UK or Thailand. I know this for a fact as a result of being involved in helping a Thai widow to get her 'entitlements'. She has never stepped foot in the UK but gets GBP 2,000 Bereavement payment plus another GBP 1,560 Bereavement Allowance plus her own pension at aged 66. This is all based on her late husband's contributions - it i the "system" ;).

I state the facts and don't comment on the rights or wrongs.

I believe that the system is that if I have made contributions my wife will be entitled to a pension in her own right irrespective of whether she is in the UK or Thailand. I know this for a fact as a result of being involved in helping a Thai widow to get her 'entitlements'. She has never stepped foot in the UK but gets GBP 2,000 Bereavement payment plus another GBP 1,560 Bereavement Allowance plus her own pension at aged 66. This is all based on her late husband's contributions - it i the "system" ;).

That's one of the reasons why I'm so annoyed! When my father died we didn't know about the bereavement payment or allowance, so even though his wife (of 27 years) was living in the UK, she never received them. Living in the UK and being old enough she did, however receive a pension.

When my husband died we were living in Thailand and, thanks to TV, I heard about the bereavement payment for the first time... and applied for the payment just in time. But too late for the weekly payment - even though we both worked in the UK all our working lives....

That's one of the reasons why I'm so annoyed! When my father died we didn't know about the bereavement payment or allowance, so even though his wife (of 27 years) was living in the UK, she never received them. Living in the UK and being old enough she did, however receive a pension.

When my husband died we were living in Thailand and, thanks to TV, I heard about the bereavement payment for the first time... and applied for the payment just in time. But too late for the weekly payment - even though we both worked in the UK all our working lives....

It would be trite of me to say that the system is flawed. But the system is flawed.

i suspect that there are (and will be ) many 'entitlements' of Thai widows that go unclaimed because of ignorance (lack of awareness).

It would be trite of me to say that the system is flawed. But the system is flawed.

i suspect that there are (and will be ) many 'entitlements' of Thai widows that go unclaimed because of ignorance (lack of awareness).

The point I am making is that if Brit taxpayers can miss out on this payment ,why on earth should any UK taxpayer care that a foreign woman who has never paid tax in the UK or even lived there, doesn't receive the benefit?

The world has changed and nowadays unless one is v wealthy, both partners work to support the family. The UK is having to cut back on all state spending, so I agree entirely that anybody that has not paid into the system, should not receive any benefits.

It is ridiculous though, that the pension is only index-linked if you live in certain countries.

The point I am making is that if Brit taxpayers can miss out on this payment ,why on earth should any UK taxpayer care that a foreign woman who has never paid tax in the UK or even lived there, doesn't receive the benefit?

The world has changed and nowadays unless one is v wealthy, both partners work to support the family. The UK is having to cut back on all state spending, so I agree entirely that anybody that has not paid into the system, should not receive any benefits.

It is ridiculous though, that the pension is only index-linked if you live in certain countries.

I took my occupational pension 13 years early based on what I knew the rules to be at the time. I now accept that some of those rules are iniquitous (although I don't blame individuals for claiming their entitlements - I would blame governments for the inequality of some).

I am therefore prepared to do my bit in "these challenging times" by applying to David Cameron for the role Minister for Commonsense. I believe that I could accomplish quite a lot on a part-time basis :).

I took my occupational pension 13 years early based on what I knew the rules to be at the time. I now accept that some of those rules are iniquitous (although I don't blame individuals for claiming their entitlements - I would blame governments for the inequality of some).

I am therefore prepared to do my bit in "these challenging times" by applying to David Cameron for the role Minister for Commonsense. I believe that I could accomplish quite a lot on a part-time basis :).

Occupational pensions are entirely different to the 'state pension'.

Know what you mean though, I often wonder about the lack of 'common sense' shown by those in power.

signed.

You still get a lot of benifits for your Thai wife even if the pension is frozen in most cases.

??? what benefits if your Thai wife lives here. Im sure lots of people would love to know what their Thai wives could get ???? I reckon nothing but I heard someone say when you die she can claim 2,000 pounds death benefit but doubt that applies if your non resident non domiciled.

This has all been discussed before on various threads on this forum but to give a quick run down, these benefits that your Thai wife is entitled to are all based on your contributions.

She is entitled to a £2,000 one off bereavement payment on your death and if she is over the age of 45 when you die she is entitled to a bereavement allowance for up to 12 months. Also, when she reaches pensionable age she is entitled to a British State pension for the rest of her life all based on your contributions.

I have downloaded the relevant claim forms and filled in as much as I can for my wife for when that time comes. My wife has never worked or lived in the UK (only visited) but she will be allocated a National Insurance number to facilitate the bereavement payments. She has to send her birth certificate, marriage certificate and my death certificate with the application and these do not have to be translated into english as they have their own translators.

Hope this make it pretty clear :jap:

Excellent post, could not have explained it better in such a short post, my BB1 is already filled except for the death date :lol: as well.:jap: