Trains From Chiang Mai To Bangkok

Ricardo

A friend took the bus down to Bangkok, at the week-end, and said there was bad flooding along-the-way at Nakhon Sawan & that he's heard the railway-line was washed-out South of Lampang a couple of weeks ago.

Can anyone confirm whether it's still closed/not-running ? I tried the SRT-website but couldn't see any 'Current News' section.

Hi there,

Sorry to hijack this thread...

How much is a sleeper cabin for this route? I.e. to have the cabin to ourselves.

How far in advance can you book?

Does the train pass through or near Khao Yai?

Finally, any other tips?

My wife and I will be going to bkk early Nov, and I thought this would make a change from flying.

Does the train have a bar or restaurant?

Hi there,

How much is a sleeper cabin for this route? I.e. to have the cabin to ourselves.

Finally, any other tips?

My wife and I will be going to bkk early Nov, and I thought this would make a change from flying.

mallmagician,

Seat61.com should answer most of your questions. It is one of the most comprehensive train travel sites for Thailand (and most of the rest of the world as well).

You can have the cabin to yourselves. Sorry, I don't know the current rate but it is very reasonable.

You can book 60 days in advance.

Not sure if it goes by Khao Yai but there is a link to a map on seat61.

Other tips. The food on the train is ok but I usually pack my own.

David

Hi there,

Finally, any other tips?

mallmagician,

Seat61.com should answer most of your questions. It is one of the most comprehensive train travel sites for Thailand (and most of the rest of the world as well).

You can have the cabin to yourselves. Sorry, I don't know the current rate but it is very reasonable.

You can book 60 days in advance.

Not sure if it goes by Khao Yai but there is a link to a map on seat61.

Other tips. The food on the train is ok but I usually pack my own.

David

You can book a first class sleeper ,for 2 people. Sorry ,I don't know how much .No .the train from C.M.does not go anywhere near Khao Yai. It terminates at Hua Lumphoing. You would have get a North -Eastern line train from Hua Lumphong. Would have to ask at the station, where best to get off- either Pak Chong Or Korat ( Nakhon Ratchasima). Or go from Morchit Bus Terminal to P.C. or Korat. Or if you pre-book accom., they will tell you the best way to get there.

Edited by afarang