Affirmation Of Freedom To Marry

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice.

The story is, I've just got back from Bangkok doing my Affirmation of Freedom to marry. Someone suggested that I take my Work Permit and ask them to translate my name as it is on the WP. So got the affirmation, got it translated, asked her to copy my mname from WP. Went to the Ministry of Affairs, they said that my name was translated wrong. I told them that it is the same as it is in my WP. They asked me to make a copy of my WP and give it to them. 2 hours later I got my Affirmation stamped by Ministry of Affairs.

I've now returned to work today to find out that my name on my WP is wrong. My name is Susan Jayne Young but they have translated it as Susan J. Young Young. This is now what is on my translated Affirmation and the Ministry have now stamped and approved based on my WP. The Ministry of Affairs also stamped "that they are not responsible for any erroneous translations". Is this standard?

This will be the name that they put on my Marriage Certificate but it is wrong.

What shall I do? Do I need to go to Bangkok and do it all over again, or just get married and when I have my marriage certificate translated into English I can ask them to change my name. If the name is wrong on the marriage certificate that means the certificate is not valid.

Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated.

Regards

Susan

The stamp is standerd.

Your name spelled wrong could indeed be a problem. I would rectify it both at the labour office and get a new translation and have it certified at the consular section. Hope you don't need to get a new document from the embassy.

Do it before you get married, otherwise it will only complicate matters. The amphur takes the details from the translated affirmation letter.

Of course the Work Permit change can wait.

Congratulations on the marriage.

The stamp is standerd.

Your name spelled wrong could indeed be a problem. I would rectify it both at the labour office and get a new translation and have it certified at the consular section. Hope you don't need to get a new document from the embassy.

Do it before you get married, otherwise it will only complicate matters. The amphur takes the details from the translated affirmation letter.

Of course the Work Permit change can wait.

Congratulations on the marriage.

Hi Mario,

Thanks for your reply. A Thai friend is going to call the MFA to see if I need to get a new Affirmation, I hope not!!!

I have another question. I did ask the UK Embassy but they didn't know the answer. If I get my Thai marriage certificate translated into English do I need to get the translation Legalised at the MFA.

Thanks for your help.

Susan

I believe the UK has a system (you pay the bill) of recording the document in the UK for easier reference if required. Do not believe many people do this unless planning to move to UK however. Embassy should know if they require the document registered with MFA for that process. From reports over the years people have not had a problem just presenting document/translation for normal usage in the UK. As an American I did obtain several copies with MFA legalization for use with US Government offices so if you have a couple thousand baht it might be good to do just in the off-chance that somewhere, sometime it will be useful.

Hi Everyone,

I just thought I would share the information with you as others can learn from other people's experiences and mistakes.

Firstly, I called the MFA and they said that I do not need a new Affirmation from the Embassy so that's good news.

Secondly, I called the translation place I used in Bangkok, (Ploenchit Translators) who were extremely helpful. They have offered to amend the translation and then get it legalised along with my Affirmation at the MFA and then post it back to me at a cost of 1,200 baht. This is great news as I don't have to take time off work and make another trip to Bangkok as I live in Krabi.

The small snag is, the translators used my Thai name in my Work Permit, so they will not do the new translation until I get my name changed in my work permit and then I have to send them a copy of the correction.

A phone call to the Labour Office today and they said I can go in on Monday and they will correct it for me.

So to everyone who has a Work Permit please check that your name is translated into Thai correctly. I've had my WP for over 2 years and no one has ever spotted it. Unfortunately I don't read Thai.

So I've learned alot this week but at least a happy outcome though a little expensive.

Susan