Health Test

james24

Does anyone know of a package or place where I can get stuff like body mass index, body fat percentage, cholesterol and blood pressure levels done? There was a company that went round the condo I use to live in Bkk and do it for free. I guess you'd call it a fitness test....

Some nurses from Sripat come to the meetings of the CM Expats Club and set up a table outside the meeting room where they do checks for BP, weight, BMI. The group meets on the fourth Saturday of the month, at the Shangri La Hotel on Chang Klan Rd. Arrive around 10 am for the check. The meeting starts at 10:30. There is a nominal cost for the meeting, but you get kanon and coffee/tea. Visitors are always welcome.

As for cholestrol -- doesn't that require a blood sample? Not something they'll do for free outside a hotel meeting room. Sounds like you need a basic physical exam. The lovely nurses at Sripat can give you info about their physical exam costs at the hospital. CM Ram also does physical exams with complete bloodwork. Hubby had their most elaborate "package" physical a couple days ago. Nothing to eat after 10 pm, into the hospital by 7:30 am and out by 10 am. He'll get his results on Monday.

A little over 6000 baht at CM Ram.

This was their recommendation of "the best" for a man over 60. Didn't include a bone density test, which they recommend every year that Hubby visits. He had it done two years ago and was just fine. It's a couple thousand baht and Dr. Google recommends that men the age of Hubby just need one every 3 - 5 years unless it shows problems, so he doesn't go with Ram's recommendation on this test. Also, he didn't need a colonoscopy this year, which would have added significantly to the cost.

The OP can get a very basic screening, if all he wants to know about is cholestrol for much, much less at Ram. He really should check out a few other things too, like blood sugar, though.

If I were the OP I'd be inclined to ignore the health check packages on offer and instead go and see Dr Morgan at her Hong Dong Clinic and ask her what should be checked and where since individual needs vary. The BMI check for example has now been thrown out by the medical profession in the UK and finally recognized as being the Blo*dy Meaningless Indicator that it is.

The University Drug Store on Suthep Road certainly offers a free blood sugar test; they may very well do more, probably cholesterol. But it would be very basic,whereas at Sripat you'd get the whole cholesterol profile broken down (in the laboratory) into it's many components. Far more informative. To get to the CMU pharmacy go down Nimmanheiminda Road to the junction with Suthep Road, turn left (east) and it's on the left next to the Faculty of Pharmacy - all lilac coloured railings.

Do a google on RAJAVEJ CHIANGMAI HOSPITAL and click on the "promotions". A comprehensive checkup is 4400 baht and includes ultrasound and a hands-on exam and conversation with the doctor. I had one at Ram and at the end, the doctor just shuffled some papers and barely glanced at me.

I do agree with Chaing Mai's post #6 that tests should be ordered when and as needed rather than in a patient-selected package, but this bundle should cover most needs. And if some are superfluous for you, it won't break the bank.

McCormick Hospital is where I got mine done - 2540 baht.

http://www.mccormick...eckup03-en.html

Rajavej has a 2400 baht option, too. It looks like you saved nearly 2000 by not getting screened for cancer of the colon, prostate, or liver, etc.

Personally, if the budget is that tight, I would get the full exam but less often rather than a partial one every year. Up to y'all.

If I were the OP I'd be inclined to ignore the health check packages on offer and instead go and see Dr Morgan at her Hong Dong Clinic and ask her what should be checked and where since individual needs vary. The BMI check for example has now been thrown out by the medical profession in the UK and finally recognized as being the Blo*dy Meaningless Indicator that it is.

Good idea. She has a five star reputation here on TV and although she's not a cheap option she does seem to take a real personal interest in her patients. What's more, she also replies to email questions !!

http://www.healthcar...icalclinic.com/

Edited by Asmerom

Good idea. She has a five star reputation here on TV and although she's not a cheap option she does seem to take a real personal interest in her patients. What's more, she also replies to email questions !!

I had my first visit with Dr Morgan last week and we spent an hour and fifteen minutes going through the medical issues involved, I've never met a more engaged/thorough/focused/professional/informed doctor anywhere in my sixty plus years, my actual bill for all of that was about THB 350 whereas I was expecting it to be substantially more.

As for getting Dr Morgan's views on health tests: I've begun to seriously question the value of the health packages that are sold, they mostly trade on our fears of getting sick and provide us with a feel good factor afterwards, the question of whether they actually serve any real purpose is another question. Whilst I used to buy the gold plated package from Bumrungrad for many years, I came to realize that less money was better spent having someone such as Dr Morgan identify the real health risks, on an individual basis and then testing for them, doing blanket tests for all things that are in vogue no longer makes sense to me I'm afraid.

I use to do the health rest once a year at Ratjave. Last time they found a too high PSA level.

They sent me to the urologist in Sripat.

Conclusion Prostate cancer confirmed.

My sympathy. It seems you were doing the right thing and caught it early. Best wishes.

I had my first visit with Dr Morgan last week and we spent an hour and fifteen minutes going through the medical issues involved, I've never met a more engaged/thorough/focused/professional/informed doctor anywhere in my sixty plus years, my actual bill for all of that was about THB 350 whereas I was expecting it to be substantially more.

As for getting Dr Morgan's views on health tests: I've begun to seriously question the value of the health packages that are sold, they mostly trade on our fears of getting sick and provide us with a feel good factor afterwards, the question of whether they actually serve any real purpose is another question. Whilst I used to buy the gold plated package from Bumrungrad for many years, I came to realize that less money was better spent having someone such as Dr Morgan identify the real health risks, on an individual basis and then testing for them, doing blanket tests for all things that are in vogue no longer makes sense to me I'm afraid.

I concur with your post 100% especially regarding tests required on an indiviual basis. Dr Morgan is the first port of call for a lot of us and she has never let us down.

I agree that the health test "packages" may be overkill, but certain blood work should be done regularly, even if you don't have symptoms. By the time Bully realized he had prostate cancer, it could have been quite advanced. My father apparently had adult-onset diabetes for years but he didn't seek medical care until he was experiencing neuropathy in his feet. After that, he found he could control his blood sugar levels easily with oral medications. But, the damage had been done by then and eventually he died from a whole host of problems caused by years of out-of-control blood sugar. (I was amazed that he'd never had his blood sugar checked, and he was seeing a doctor regularly for treatment of blood pressure problems! Sometimes the doctors are focused on just one problem and don't consider the patient as a whole) These "package" health tests at the hospitals do a very good job of covering all the standard tests that should be done regularly.

Edited by NancyL

I agree that the health test "packages" may be overkill, but certain blood work should be done regularly, even if you don't have symptoms. By the time Bully realized he had prostate cancer, it could have been quite advanced. My father apparently had adult-onset diabetes for years but he didn't seek medical care until he was experiencing neuropathy in his feet. After that, he found he could control his blood sugar levels easily with oral medications. But, the damage had been done by then and eventually he died from a whole host of problems caused by years of out-of-control blood sugar. (I was amazed that he'd never had his blood sugar checked, and he was seeing a doctor regularly for treatment of blood pressure problems! Sometimes the doctors are focused on just one problem and don't consider the patient as a whole) These "package" health tests at the hospitals do a very good job of covering all the standard tests that should be done regularly.

I agree and I don't, you make a powerful case for the patient to make their own checks because the doctor can't always be trusted to do all the right things, at the right time, all of the time - I think one of the major keys is to ensure that you have a good and capable doctor and a second key is perhaps self education that equips the patient to ask the doctor why certain tests haven't been performed and whether they should be.

I agree and I don't, you make a powerful case for the patient to make their own checks because the doctor can't always be trusted to do all the right things, at the right time, all of the time - I think one of the major keys is to ensure that you have a good and capable doctor and a second key is perhaps self education that equips the patient to ask the doctor why certain tests haven't been performed and whether they should be.

Well said, It does not matter where you get the test done though, it is important to get your trusted doctor to interprete test results.

Not just glance the report and say normal/abnormal but to tell what is the likely diagnosis/condition when certain test show abnormal figure and what to do/monitor/follow up.

Many time patients were told their tests abnormal but found out later on just a bad stool and urine sample, error report. e

Most important thing is self education so you can ask the right question, request appropiate test if not included in "package'.