Poipet Thai Embassy

I just returned from a visa run with Jack's Golf. Lots of problems. I applied for a single sixty day tourist visa. I was away from the country for six months and returned in August and got my 30 day stamp. When I went to Poipet, Thai Immigration held my passport for three days. I was told by Jack's staff at one point that I had too many extension request; again, I have been away for six months, and that I had too many overstays ( two one day overstays...six years ago). Then I was told my paperwork was not in order, in addition to the other excuses. I submitted a letter of residence signed by the manager of the complex where I live, since I do not have a return air ticket or a hotel reservation. I was in Cambodia for 5 days and four nights, at an additional expense to myself. The itinerary was for three days and two nights. I brought enough clothes for two nights. Thank God I brought money, since the Tropicana Hotel (the one that Jack's uses) does not accept credit cards. Anyway, I was told by Jack's representatives, because I asked, that 3 others were held back in the group that I arrived with on Monday (9/12) and five others were held back with the group that came in on Wednesday (9/14). Anyway, it's not Jack's fault, but Thai Immigration in Poipet (I can not speak for others) is putting visa request under the microscope and using old rules to assert new power; so, if your going to Poipet, I highly suggest you do your homework first, or at least pack clothes for a one week stay. I've been in and out of Thailand for 7 years and I have never had a problem until now. It would be nice if others could chime in if they have also experienced problems at this border or any other border for that matter.

To the OP: I was in that same bus on Monday morning but just for a border run... As far as I remember, the lady in charge mentioned, on the way back, that for people who want to apply for a tourist visa, some rules are becoming more strict and have to provide proof of stay and sufficient funds... Sorry to hear that implementation of the law caused you trouble.sad.gif

@Crossy: yes, you stay at The Tropicana -for 2 nights- while one of their agent is going to Phnom Penh with your passport, to apply for the visa.

Edited by lazygourmet

I was also on the Jack Golf trip today. They are now having so many problems getting tourist visas in Phnom Penh (any tourist visas!), the Jack Golf representative told our group Jack is suspending all trips for tourist visas for at least the next two weeks.

The three guys who went with Jack Golf on Wednesday were supposed to come back with us this morning and are STILL stuck in Poi Pet at the Tropicana as their applcations for tourist visas were denied on Thursday. All 3 only requested single-entry after they were told double-entries were no longer possible. Jack told them they may end up stuck there until Monday and still may not get the tourist visas, so may end up coming back into Thailand with only 15 day stamps.

Thailand is unfortunately becoming extremely unfriendly to long-stay tourists. So, basically, if you're a long-stay tourist in Thailand, don't plan on being able to stay here much longer.

I've been here for six months and just used my last tourist visa extension. When this expires, I'm going to Malaysia for six months instead. Malaysia loves tourists. Thailand obviously does not.

I was also on the Jack Golf trip today. They are now having so many problems getting tourist visas in Phnom Penh (any tourist visas!), the Jack Golf representative told our group Jack is suspending all trips for tourist visas for at least the next two weeks.

The three guys who went with Jack Golf on Wednesday were supposed to come back with us this morning and are STILL stuck in Poi Pet at the Tropicana as their applcations for tourist visas were denied on Thursday. All 3 only requested single-entry after they were told double-entries were no longer possible. Jack told them they may end up stuck there until Monday and still may not get the tourist visas, so may end up coming back into Thailand with only 15 day stamps.

Thailand is unfortunately becoming extremely unfriendly to long-stay tourists. So, basically, if you're a long-stay tourist in Thailand, don't plan on being able to stay here much longer.

I've been here for six months and just used my last tourist visa extension. When this expires, I'm going to Malaysia for six months instead. Malaysia loves tourists. Thailand obviously does not.

BTW, Jack Golf has a note up on their site saying tourist visa trips are now suspended - http://www.jackgolf.com/en/news/296.php

Staying only two hours at the Tropicana is already a nightmare... I could not dream about staying there one week!

By the way, that means that these poor guys did not even got their passport back... So their books are somewhere in P.P.?!?

Staying only two hours at the Tropicana is already a nightmare... I could not dream about staying there one week!

By the way, that means that these poor guys did not even got their passport back... So their books are somewhere in P.P.?!?

Yep, you got it.

Passports still in Phnom Penh while the poor Jack Golf guy begs the embassy for their tourist visas. When we left them there this morning, they were waiting to see if they got the tourist visas today (would know about 3pm), which means they'd be on the Jack Golf bus back to Bangkok tomorrow morning. If not, they'll probably be back on the bus tomorrow morning anyway, but with just 15 day stamps.

And yep, they also had to fork over another 1,000 baht each for every night they got stuck at the Tropicana.

I'm confused, I don't think there is a Thai consulate in Poipet or do Jacks put you in the Tropicana and send the passports to the embassy Phnom Penh?

Sorry; yes, your right. The passports do go to Phnom Penh. Poipet is where the hotel is located.

Thank you. I really dislike the Tropicana and I sort of went off in the lobby on the 4th day when I was told, once again, that my passport was being held up, and I included my displeasure of the hotel in my tirade. Too bad most of the staff can't speak English, then they would know it too. My heart goes out to the three who are there for the weekend. I don't even have to imagine their frustration.

To the OP: I was in that same bus on Monday morning but just for a border run... As far as I remember, the lady in charge mentioned, on the way back, that for people who want to apply for a tourist visa, some rules are becoming more strict and have to provide proof of stay and sufficient funds... Sorry to hear that implementation of the law caused you trouble.sad.gif

@Crossy: yes, you stay at The Tropicana -for 2 nights- while one of their agent is going to Phnom Penh with your passport, to apply for the visa.

Thanks. That was nice of you to mention that!