Are Thais Taught Anything About The World Outside Of Thailand

nong38

Not at all, a sad refelction of the times.

Just look at the TV series, "Are you smarter than a 6th grader"

and see how many adults fail to meet the criterion.

Yes there will be exceptions, and it sounds like you are one of them,

but can the same be said of the people teaching our children.............?

Too true, Astral. We can't take responsibility for other people's children. We can only take responsibility for our own. Children are the future of the world. All we can do is help them as best we can.

Ian you are right about responsibility, on more than one occassion I visited school, took the teachers to one side and told them in no uncertain terms that they were not strectching my offspring, they looked at each other and hopefully adjusted their position. Probably better stop me rolling up again. How do I know, because offspring came home and had a 45 minute heated conversation. I remember to this day, off spring does not. Absoulutely the right thing to do, not sure it happens here though, just trust what is happening is the right way for Thailand and it might be I am just asking is there a better way?

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so fast. For example, Bill Gates also a college dropout. Read the bestseller Outliers: The Story of Success to understand how Bill Gates American education BEFORE COLLEGE made it possible for his unique development.

Exactly. Very specific American opportunities, education, and culture shaped Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, etc.. to make them who they are. A lot of billionaires were dropouts and did not come from extremely wealthy families.

There are no people like this in Thailand because the brilliant individuals are stifled by a culture that doesn't value individual excellence or creativity. Plus a Thai "Steve Jobs" would get destroyed by jealous established elite families who live off of corruption and economic rent government monopolies.

Edited by wintermute

There are no people like this in Thailand because the brilliant individuals are stifled by a culture that doesn't value individual excellence or creativity.

Always thought our man Dubai was well know for his "creative" business solutions.....:rolleyes:

Occasionally, I come across some Americans who still think Taiwan and Thailand are the same country. I suppose that it is not only Thai people who don't know much about the outside world.

Hehe. I was born and raised in Rhode Island. Tiny little state in the USA. I am often working in other parts of the USA. When I mention Rhode Island, someone usually says, "Oh, I have a cousing in Manhattan". Siiiiigh. Amazing in the USA how few people know Rhode Island, Long Island, New York, Manhattan, etc. Granted RI is a tiny place but it is one of the States!

I too have been a bit dismayed by the level of general world knowledge some of the Thais have. But I assure you, the average USA low level performing High School "graduate" would not be able to recall much about the world. I think the USA schools at least give one or two courses on World History, or even have electives in High School for certain periods or regions of history. I know my schools did. I think I learned more by just looking at a map or playing with the big wooden world globes we had laying around. I doubt the Thai schools go that far. I did look over some elementary teaching materials in Thailand. For about an 11 year old, they had some material showing the map of Thailand, the Resources and products certain regions make. Very pictorial though. I sure got the impression they lower the level of things they are taught.

As several posters have pointed out, a lot of the country is not as developed in the educational sense you might expect.

I saw Americans being asked on TV, "what date was the 9/11 terrorist attack on the WTC?" Most didn't know.

Congratulations you get a special prize on Thai Visa for making anti American comments on threads that don't have the word America in the title. After 10,000 anti American comments on threads that don't have the word American in the title you get a gold star after your name and join the hall of Anti American fame and have access to all the accolades and special benefits that involves. Keep up the good work.

Well, couldn't be any worse than the hundreds of other thread examples that are meaningly derailed with unrelated references peppered here and there......as opposed to the 500,000 American [and Western] commentary with apologists references.

When the shoe is on the other foot.

Kind of like telling a cop who is giving you a speeding ticket that everyone else is speeding. Valid point but nothing to do with what I or the cop said. Cop don't buy it and neither do I; just farting in the wind.

Thais go to school for the piece of paper at the end of it. They don't care how they get it and frankly, nor do the teachers.

Knowledge for its own sake is not a philosophy that is known here.

The desire to learn comes from curiosity and the Thais are the least curious people that I have ever encountered and I have been all over the world.

Edited by KarenBravo

Not so fast. For example, Bill Gates also a college dropout. Read the bestseller Outliers: The Story of Success to understand how Bill Gates American education BEFORE COLLEGE made it possible for his unique development.

Exactly. Very specific American opportunities, education, and culture shaped Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Steve Jobs, etc.. to make them who they are. A lot of billionaires were dropouts and did not come from extremely wealthy families.

There are no people like this in Thailand because the brilliant individuals are stifled by a culture that doesn't value individual excellence or creativity. Plus a Thai "Steve Jobs" would get destroyed by jealous established elite families who live off of corruption and economic rent government monopolies.

There are no self-made millionaires in Thailand? Interesting theory. But unfortunately one that is pure <deleted>.

There are no self-made millionaires in Thailand? Interesting theory. But unfortunately one that is pure <deleted>.

For once Somchard, I agree with you!

Make that 2! Somchard's right on the money (pun intended).

So we all agree? The educational system here is no worse than in the West.

I think that they were agreeing that there were some self-made millionaires in Thailand - presumably they meant specifically Thai ones.

I am not sure if the presence of a self-made millionaire validates the education system.

As far as the performance of systems go, I would rather look at the performance of the average, or the lower bounds of performance.

I suppose we should look at the countries which have the most overseas students, as customers (markets) generally seem to know more than experts like you and me.

SC

EDIT: Or maybe its just that we don't know about foreign universities, but the overseas students in our countries learn more about such things in their home countries.

EDIT: Anyway, how can one say they are taught nothing about things outside Thailand, when they all follow the Barclays Premier League? I couldn't name a single Thai club soccer team

Edited by StreetCowboy

The West is a very big place, however its safe to say the best educational institutions are in the West. After all, thats where people here send their children if they can afford to. And they wouldnt do that if it was better, not to mention considerably cheaper to do so closer to home.

Read what I said again. I didn't say they didn't exist it's just that the people creating world brands and innovative technology such as in Apple, Microsoft, etc.. aren't here in Thailand. Millionaires are everywhere around the world. Most of Thailand's rich got their wealth through connections and collecting corruption money aka. economic rents through family networks. That stifles competition and creativity when a small number of families owns most industry. Look at C.P. as an example of how this works here in Thailand.

There's a very tiny number of people who have managed to do it on their own but that is the rare exception.

I recommend a book called Asian Godfathers if you want to know how corrupt SE Asia is. The "self made" people are extremely rare.

Edited by wintermute

This is total nonsense. Name one school here that's comparable with Harvard, Oxford, or M.I.T.

Where is Thailand's contributions to medicine, science, and the space program if their educational system is "on par" with the west?

Read what I said again. I didn't say they didn't exist it's just that the people creating world brands and innovative technology such as in Apple, Microsoft, etc.. aren't here in Thailand. Millionaires are everywhere around the world. Most of Thailand's rich got their wealth through connections and collecting corruption money aka. economic rents through family networks. That stifles competition and creativity when a small number of families owns most industry. Look at C.P. as an example of how this works here in Thailand.

There's a very tiny number of people who have managed to do it on their own but that is the rare exception.

I recommend a book called Asian Godfathers if you want to know how corrupt SE Asia is. The "self made" people are extremely rare.

Not rare. Many of the wealthiest people in Thailand are self-made.

Ok, name some besides the Red Bull guy (who is the rare exception.) Most of them came from wealth or were connected to wealthy families. All the owners of the big brands and agricultural businesses came from money, had titles, or high connections.

The book I mentioned before goes through the who's who list of Thailand's billionaires and talks specifically about how they obtained their wealth. Most of them made it through connections or special government concessions based on legacy.

You have no idea what you are talking about this has all been well documented.

Edited by wintermute

Ok, name some besides the Red Bull guy (who is the rare exception.) Most of them came from wealth or were connected to wealthy families. All the owners of the big brands and agricultural businesses came from money, had titles, or high connections.

The book I mentioned before goes through the who's who list of Thailand's billionaires and talks specifically about how they obtained their wealth. Most of them made it through connections or special government concessions based on legacy.

You have no idea what you are talking about this has all been well documented.

How about Tan the Oishi guy?

Charoen the whiskey guy?

How many do you need?

Thailand's eight richest. Highlighted the points which mention rags to riches. Seems like most if not all of the 8 richest people in Thailand made their money through hard work (and luck) and not through corruption or the Thai education system.

1. Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi

$3.2 billion

Married

5 children

Son of a fried-mussel-pancake street vendor in Bangkok, Charoen made his fortune in whiskey and beer. Took his Thai Beverage public in Singapore in May after protests against alcohol derailed a Thai listing last year. Now going abroad: His Chang Beer is official sponsor of Liverpool's Everton soccer club. Also has collection of hotels including the Plaza Athénée in New York City and Bangkok.

2. Chaleo Yoovidhya

$2.7 billion

Married

5 children

Created the formula that later became immensely popular energy drink Red Bull; owns 49% share of the $2.6 billion (sales) company. Also owns $150 million (sales) TC Pharmaceuticals, which makes energy drinks for Thai market, and a stake in Piyavate Hospital, a private hospital chain that caters especially to foreign patients.

3. Dhanin Chearavanont

$2.3 billion

Married

5 children

Youngest of four brothers, Dhanin was 25 when he took over family's small seed shop. Transformed it into one of world's largest suppliers of animal feed. Successfully branched into retail, telecom and other businesses. Big investor in China.

4. Thaksin Shinawatra & family

$2.2 billion

Married

3 children

Embattled prime minister faced firestorm of criticism for January tax-free sale of his family's 49.6% stake in telecom giant Shin Corp. to Singaporean investors. Protests ensued, forcing Thaksin to dissolve parliament and call snap elections for April. Although his Thai Rak Thai party won a majority of votes, he announced plans to step down after an audience with revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej. Currently serving as caretaker prime minister. Reportedly fears a new government may seize his assets.

5. Vanchai Chirathivat & family

$1.2 billion

Became leader of Chirathivat family after death of older brother, Samrit, who took over from father, Tiang. Now chairs family's Central Group, one of Thailand's largest private corporations, with interests in real estate, hotels and resorts. Its dominant business is $1.7 billion (sales) Central Retail Corp., the nation's biggest retailer with the top department store and supermarket brands. Launched one of country's first REITs last year, the CPN Growth Fund, composed of its retail properties. At least half a dozen family members work at Central; as many as 45 relatives share fortune.

6. Sunthorn Vongkusolkit & family

$860 million

Married

3 children

How sweet: family's privately held Mitr Phol Sugar Corp., Thailand's largest producer and exporter of sugar, celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. Company also has investment in biomass power business and plans to operate two bioethanol fuel plants. The family, headed by Sunthorn, son of Mitr Phol's late founder, has separate investment in coal producer Banpu.

7. Krit Ratanarak & family

$660 million

Late father, Chuan, began buying up lighters that ferried cargo from anchored ships to shore after World War II. Eventually gained significant stakes in the Bank of Ayudhya and Siam City Cement. Fortune peaked at $1 billion in 1994, the year after Chuan died and son Krit took over as family head.

8. Bhirombhakdi family

$500 million

Beer is a family affair for Bhirombhakdi relatives. The late Phraya Bhirombhakdi founded Boon Rawd Brewery 1933. Today two of his sons sit on company's board, as do three grandsons. Together they own most of company, which is best known for its Singha beer. Also sells water and ready-to-drink green tea.

Charoen the whiskey guy?

How many do you need?

Are you talking about the owner of Thaibev? Because that sure as hell isn't a "self made" conglomerate. Plus Oishi is owned by Thaibev now.

The other Charoen is the C.P. group and that is a prime example of what an agricultural monopoly looks like.

Thailand's eight richest. Highlighted the points which mention rags to riches. Seems like most if not all of the 8 richest people in Thailand made their money through hard work (and luck) and not through corruption or the Thai education system.

You need to read the book I mentioned they mentioned these families specifically and a lot of them had government connections or titles bestowed on them. They were positioned hand in hand with political groups during the post WW2 era to get where they were. A lot of them were the "Thaksins" of their day but without political ambitions. You need to understand that in SE Asia there's a "merchant" business class (Thai-Chinese) that was given government concessions and specific monopolies as long as they support the elite political powers. That's why so many of them make up a minority ethnicity.

That's also why Thaksin is so disliked by other wealthy elite members in Thai society. He's a big businessman who has a lot of political ambitions too.

Charoen the whiskey guy?

How many do you need?

Are you talking about the owner of Thaibev? Because that sure as hell isn't a "self made" conglomerate. Plus Oishi is owned by Thaibev now.

The other Charoen is the C.P. group and that is a prime example of what an agricultural monopoly looks like.

I know Oishi is part if ThaiBev. Tan, the founder, sold it to them a few years ago fir hundreds of millions if dollars. Tan is 100% self-made. Started selling newspapers at a provincial bus station.

Charoen is also 100% self-made. Just a working class Chinatown kid who made it big.

Add Vikrom Kromadit to the list.

Do some reading up and educate yourself.

Charoen the whiskey guy?

How many do you need?

How about

Vikrom Kromadit

$140 million

Divorced

Eldest of 22 siblings, grew up in Thai jungle. Founded industrial park developer Amata in 1989. It is now Thailand's largest, thanks in part to his idea of developing "perfect cities," which give parks' workers access to such amenities as restaurants and a golf course. Now spends most of his time in a floating lake house far from headquarters ( Click here for more).

or

Malinee Kitaphanich & family

$135 million

Widow

10 children

Widow of Somboon, who reportedly started importing cars and making auto parts back in 1941. Family owns shares in publicly traded Somboon Advanced Technology, an auto parts maker; several of her children sit on its board.

How many do you need?

You need to read the book I mentioned they mentioned these families specifically and a lot of them had government connections or titles bestowed on them. They were positioned hand in hand with political groups during the post WW2 era to get where they were. A lot of them were the "Thaksins" of their day but without political ambitions. You need to understand that in SE Asia there's a "merchant" business class (Thai-Chinese) that was given government concessions and specific monopolies as long as they support the elite political powers. That's why so many of them make up a minority ethnicity.

That's also why Thaksin is so disliked by other wealthy elite members in Thai society. He's a big businessman who has a lot of political ambitions too.

Nope, you need to understand what a fried mussel pancake vendor or a small seed shop owner actually means as these are how two of the 5 richest men in Thailand started off.

Unlike your opinions they are facts. And you can't argue with facts in the same way you cant enforce opinions.

I know Oishi is part if ThaiBev. Tan, the founder, sold it to them a few years ago fir hundreds of millions if dollars. Tan is 100% self-made. Started selling newspapers at a provincial bus station.

Charoen is also 100% self-made. Just a working class Chinatown kid who made it big.

Actually, you're the uneducated one but that's fine a lot of people don't understand how the cultural and political roles play into business here. You're used to how it is in the western world and the self made "bootstraps" story just isn't how it seems to be on the surface in SE Asia. Most people that survive and prosper in business here are connected.

Do yourself a favor and look up the book I mentioned. It goes into extraordinary academic detail in how these people amassed fortunes in SE Asia.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=asian+godfathers&x=0&y=0

Actually, you're the uneducated one but that's fine a lot of people don't understand how the cultural and political roles play into business here. You're used to how it is in the western world and the self made "bootstraps" story just isn't how it seems to be on the surface in SE Asia. Most people that survive and prosper in business here are connected.

Do yourself a favor and look up the book I mentioned. It goes into extraordinary academic detail in how these people amassed fortunes in SE Asia.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=asian+godfathers&x=0&y=0

Do yourself a favor and look up "self-made", which is what we're talking about.

We're talking about people who came from nothing and ended up rich by being smart and ambitious.

Do yourself a favor and look up "self-made", which is what we're talking about.

We're talking about people who came from nothing and ended up rich by being smart and ambitious.

The people you are mentioning from that Forbes list are the very same people mentioned in that book. The Thaibev group, CP, etc.. are all talked about. Anyways, this isn't worth arguing about when there's a book talking about this very subject full of actual facts and economic data to back it up. I'm not going to C&P entire sections from it to prove a point.

You can plug your ears up and keep talking about how things are egalitarian and meritocratic here when it's the furthest thing from the truth. Look at Thailand's list on the corruption index and the lack of global branding despite much of the GDP being derived from industry (foreign factories in Thailand.) Thailand EOI is heavily weighted towards multinationals who do most of the R&D and use Thailand as a cheap manufacturing hub. That's still the way things are currently. That's why wealth is concentrated in the privileged hands of a few and why agricultural businesses are largely monopolized through government concessions to a few lucky families.

Edited by wintermute

Is this self congratulatory "look how dumb the locals are" thread still running??

No.

As I recall, you are in fact Thai. Is that correct?

For me, I was able to discern whether it was open or not for myself. But then, I was not worried about losing face, or offending others and causing them to lose face, by making up my own mind based on the evidence in front of me. I suppose an alternative hypothesis might be that you are being sarcastic, with the intention to belittle or offend your fellow posters. Perhaps it is a deliberate attempt to engender spleen and invective in the hope of getting closed a thread that you find offensive, in which case, I am willing to do my bit to help. Tosser.

I'm guessing that you're description of the thread might have been intended to be negatively critical of it. My understanding of the latest turn of the thread was some debate about whether Thailand could generate self-made millionaires comparable to Steve Jobs. Since there is no explicit link back to show the role of the education system in either case, it might be considered off-topic, but I suppose this all highlights the need to examine the facts critically, their relevance to the hypothesis or question, and make objective judgements.

SC