Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

RamdomChances

I like this saying- ไม่เห็นโลงไม่หลั่งน้ำตา-literally, without seeing the coffin the tears won't well up(cry),meaning, I think, the person doesn't think of the consequences of his behaviour so is careless, oblivious as to the result of his behaviour; ie the teenagers race at night, it's dangerous but they've never been in a crash so they're reckless and have an accident. The student is lazy and consequently to his regret fails the entrance exam to university.

What idiomatic phrase could we use in English to mean the same thing?My mind's drawn a blank with this present humidity!

• 4 weeks later...
I like this saying- ไม่เห็นโลงไม่หลั่งน้ำตา-literally, without seeing the coffin the tears won't well up(cry),meaning, I think, the person doesn't think of the consequences of his behaviour so is careless, oblivious as to the result of his behaviour; ie the teenagers race at night, it's dangerous but they've never been in a crash so they're reckless and have an accident. The student is lazy and consequently to his regret fails the entrance exam to university.

What idiomatic phrase could we use in English to mean the same thing?My mind's drawn a blank with this present humidity!

How about "You don't miss the water until the well runs dry"? Not exactly the same, but the closest I could get after racking my brains for half an hour! :o

Been having a problem with a Thai guy who seems to get off on spouting out random idioms and then saying "Bet you don't know what THAT one means!" Generally he's right - idioms are generally not literal so there's no way to understand them without learning them in context. He particularly likes doing in when we're socializing with Thai people and he feels he needs to put me in my place or something by showing me how much Thai I don't understand. He refuses to teach his non THai wife Thai and then berates her for not understanding.

So my question is - is there some idiom or slang word for a person who enjoys putting other people down to make themselves feel better?

And would the idiom I saw on this thread - ton meu ton dtin (i think that's what it was) apply to his wife who puts up with his obnoxiousness, among other things?

I don't want to start a war, but I'd like to put him in his place in his own language.

Thanks,

TT

Been having a problem with a Thai guy who seems to get off on spouting out random idioms and then saying "Bet you don't know what THAT one means!" Generally he's right - idioms are generally not literal so there's no way to understand them without learning them in context. He particularly likes doing in when we're socializing with Thai people and he feels he needs to put me in my place or something by showing me how much Thai I don't understand. He refuses to teach his non THai wife Thai and then berates her for not understanding.

So my question is - is there some idiom or slang word for a person who enjoys putting other people down to make themselves feel better?

And would the idiom I saw on this thread - ton meu ton dtin (i think that's what it was) apply to his wife who puts up with his obnoxiousness, among other things?

I don't want to start a war, but I'd like to put him in his place in his own language.

Thanks,

TT

This should put him down- ยกตนข่มท่าน- yok ( High tone) dton( middle tone) khom( low tone) tan ( falling fast tone). It means someone who enjoys putting down others, translated literally as raise oneself whilst browbeating others.

Practise the pronunciation with a Thai first the 'khom' doesn't have an 'o' sound like the English'o'

How about "You don't miss the water until the well runs dry"? Not exactly the same, but the closest I could get after racking my brains for half an hour! :o

Thanks siamese kitty, where are you with all your talk about cold weather? You could pay Daleyboy a visit if you're in the UK!

Neeranam, I don't think we could use 'ignorance is bliss' here as there's no negative connotations with it. I like your phrase,'those who...', wouldn't that mean those outside a situation see it better than the participants? In which case I think we need a different Thai idiom for this, back to SK or Yoot if they've got the time!

• 2 weeks later...
"You don't miss the water until the well runs dry"

This should equal to the Thai proverb - แกงจืดจึงรู้คุณเกลือ (We only appreciate the worth of salt when the soup is tasteless)

But for the saying ไม่เห็นโลงไม่หลั่งน้ำตา , I have no idea which idiomatic phrase in English should be matched with this saying. :o

This should put him down- ยกตนข่มท่าน- yok ( High tone) dton( middle tone) khom( low tone) tan ( falling fast tone). It means someone who enjoys putting down others, translated literally as raise oneself whilst browbeating others.

I agree with K. bannork for this saying. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Back when the "war on drugs" was going on we where at the local market and a car pulled up and shot two people allegedly involved in drugs, apparently this was carried out by the police.

Anyway, my friend turns to me and says " shuak gai hi ling do" basicly

"Cut the chickens throat and let the monkeys watch"

ie They were being made an examlpe of.

Anyone esle know any thai sayings and their meanings?

Cheers

Heard one a while back: something like Play the Ears, Play the Eyes (Len huu, len dtaa). don't remember what it means but it sounds like a good one!

เล่นหูเล่นตา is an elaborate form of เล่นตา. It means to flirt, to make eyes at someone.

The เล่นหู part follows a typical pattern for elaborate expressions... There are many semantically connected pair words which appear in these sorts of contexts, and หู and ตา appear as a pair in many of these. It's not a literal reference to the ears. In other words, the action described is going on in the eyes alone, despite the use of หู in the phrase.

Other examples:

ลืมหูลืมตา is an elaborate form of ลืมตา, to open one's eyes.

ลูกหูลูกตา is an elaborate form of ลูกตา, meaning the eyes.

น้ำหูน้ำตา is an elaborate form of น้ำตา, meaning tears.

Et cetera.

I like to "collect" elaborate expressions. I've got hundreds of them in a spreadsheet, divided into a couple dozen categories. :o Good fun.

Edited by Rikker

post-11421-1144553020_thumb.jpg

post-11421-1144553020_thumb.jpg

Nice one, Neeranam, that label should be prominently displayed over the Songkran festival.

I've noticed since the contest for a new PM the Thai newspapers have been writing-ตัวเต็ง -meaning the front runner, the favourite. I was wondering how it differed to-ตัวเก็ง -the favourite in a football competition for example.

If anyone can spare a few moments between dousing, splashing, shooting water at others over the next few days to elucidate further I'd be grateful.

bannork.

"Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do."

"You'll be sorry; mark my words, lad!" :o

...just kidding.

I've noticed since the contest for a new PM the Thai newspapers have been writing-ตัวเต็ง -meaning the front runner, the favourite. I was wondering how it differed to-ตัวเก็ง -the favourite in a football competition for example.

ตัวเต็ง - the one who is the most hopeful to win.

ตัวเก็ง - the ones who estimated that one of them might win

For example;

ตัวเก็งที่จะเข้ารอบสุดท้ายในการประกวดนางงามจักรวาล คือนางงามจากประเทศแคนาดา, เวเนซูเอล่า, สเปน แต่ตัวเต็งที่น่าจะคว้ามงกุฎนางงามจักรวาลน่าจะเป็น นางงามจากประเทศแคนาดา

For the saying 'ไม่เห็นโลงศพ ไม่หลั่งน้ำตา' I found that it isn't the original Thai saying . It's the Chinese saying from a Chinese novel book. Which was written by 'โกวเล้ง'. The meaning of this saying, actually is like the English saying ' to make boasts' or 'To blow one's own horn' but the one who makes boasts just makes it in the wrong situation. For example, a student boasts that he would get the full score by don't need to read the book before having the exam. When you heard that you might tell him that...'ไม่เห็นโลงศพ ไม่หลั่งน้ำตา' to define the one who make boasts.

ตัวเต็ง - the one who is the most hopeful to win.

ตัวเก็ง - the ones who estimated that one of them might win

For example;

ตัวเก็งที่จะเข้ารอบสุดท้ายในการประกวดนางงามจักรวาล คือนางงามจากประเทศแคนาดา, เวเนซูเอล่า, สเปน แต่ตัวเต็งที่น่าจะคว้ามงกุฎนางงามจักรวาลน่าจะเป็น นางงามจากประเทศแคนาดา

For the saying 'ไม่เห็นโลงศพ ไม่หลั่งน้ำตา' I found that it isn't the original Thai saying . It's the Chinese saying from a Chinese novel book. Which was written by 'โกวเล้ง'. The meaning of this saying, actually is like the English saying ' to make boasts' or 'To blow one's own horn' but the one who makes boasts just makes it in the wrong situation. For example, a student boasts that he would get the full score by don't need to read the book before having the exam. When you heard that you might tell him that...'ไม่เห็นโลงศพ ไม่หลั่งน้ำตา' to define the one who make boasts.

Thanks for your explanation Yoot, now I see that ตัวเก็ง contain more than one competitor, they are the favourites or the frontrunners whilst ตัวเต็ง is THE favourite to win, only one competitor.

Thanks again.

bannork

Edited by bannork

""""""""""Hi Neeranam,

It should be spelt ก็ช่าง "goh chaang" but the meaning is NOT "don't care"!

The meaning of ก็ช่าง "goh chaang" is like the English "accordingly".

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

"""""""""""""""""""

Today I heard , " gaw chang pen rai" and it definately meant never mind.

How could "chang" be translated into English?

"to" maybe?

Today I heard , " gaw chang pen rai" and it definately meant never mind.

How could "chang" be translated into English?

"to" maybe?

The correct phrase is ก็ช่างกระไร or ก็ช่างปะไร - never mind, to stop minding.

ช่าง - to take no heed of, to stop minding.

ก็ช่าง - never mind

กระไร, ปะไร - what, how.

This one has always been a favorite of mine.

Loosley translated: " The difficult we can do right now, the impossible will take a little longer" :o

งานที่ยากเราสามารถทําไดัในทันี เเต่งานที่เป็นไปไม่พดัจะ ตัองใชัเวลาล้กหน่อยจึงจะเริ่มหาไดั

ngaan têe yâak rao săa-mâat tam dai nai tan dtàe ngaan têe bpen bpai mâi dai ja dtong chai...

• 1 month later...

Reading the story of the policeman from Talad Plu in Bangkok who was drugged and murdered by a transvestite the Daily News wrote เสีย ท่า sia ( rising) ta( falling), meaning to become the victim of someone, to be outmanoeuvred, outwitted.

What with the World Cup coming up I was wondering if we could use this in football.

Reading the story of the policeman from Talad Plu in Bangkok who was drugged and murdered by a transvestite the Daily News wrote เสีย ท่า sia ( rising) ta( falling), meaning to become the victim of someone, to be outmanoeuvred, outwitted.

What with the World Cup coming up I was wondering if we could use this in football.

เสียท่า - to make a false step, to lose one's advantage, to make a misstep.

This word can be used in football of course.

For example;

นายทวารอังกฤษเสียท่า โดนศูนย์หน้าฝรั่งเศสสับเท้าหลอกยิงตุงตาข่ายขึ้นนำไปก่อน 1-0

Sometimes this word can be replaced by พลาดท่า or เสียที

• 2 weeks later...

I like this one referring to lackadaisical civil servants or state enterprise workers who just can't seem to get interested in serving the public because they're a monopoly or have a job for life.

Indifferent or apathetic regarding work-ทำงานเช้าชามเย็นชาม tam ngan chao cham yen cham

Perhaps Yoot could help me out here- ตายน้ำตื้น to die in shallow water, would that mean to be careless, something happened that shouldn't have and the subject is the one who's blamed\ criticised\ defeated.?

As in an earlier request of mine, could we use it in football, for instance England lose to Trinidad and Tobago?

Perhaps Yoot could help me out here- ตายน้ำตื้น to die in shallow water, would that mean to be careless, something happened that shouldn't have and the subject is the one who's blamed\ criticised\ defeated.?

As in an earlier request of mine, could we use it in football, for instance England lose to Trinidad and Tobago?

ตายน้ำตื้น mostly used when someone who is supposed to be good at something but have failed with something which no one has expected. It can mean to be careless as you mention too.

For using this saying in football, I will give you an example;

ทีมเต็งหนึ่งอย่างอังกฤษกลับตายน้ำตื้น พลาดท่าให้ ตรินิแดด กับ โทบาโก้ เอาชนะไปได้

• 1 month later...

I read this phrase today in reference to a terrible story where a novice, ordained for only a week , killed the abbot and his deputy for telling him off for killing a chicken in the temple grounds.

When warned by the abbot, the novice said threateningly, if เหลืออด leua(rising) od( low) I will kill everyone here.

Meaning to lose control, blow a fuse, lose it-

But I was wondering if it could ever have a positive meaning , in the sense beyond endurance of suffering, ability-ไม่ไหว

Consider the plight of a man who has had just a bit too much to drink and, consequently, cannot perform (with his lover) despite his best intentions and feelings ...

"reua jom paak ao" ... the boat sinks at the mouth of the harbor ...

Please don't ask me how I stumbled on this particular phrase :o

My girl just wrote to me and used this term to describe our relationship,

Stable after same tongue and teeth will must have connect together some

Man gaw lin meun gan lin lae fan ja tawng mi garn gratob gan bawng

I havent heard this one before,