Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

RamdomChances

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Wondering if there's a Thai saying or expression that's the equivalent of:

"All It Takes Is Time And A Few Kind Words" - used in illustrating getting a difficult job done?

On the same subject: "Difficult We Can Do Right Now...Impossible Will Take A Little Longer"! :o

Cheers,

บุญมี

Hello All,

"All It Takes Is Time And A Few Kind Words" - used in illustrating getting a difficult job done?

On the same subject:  "Difficult We Can Do Right Now...Impossible Will Take A Little Longer"! :o

Cheers,

บุญมี

You can say it in Thai as this;

"All It Takes Is Time And A Few Kind Words"- used in illustrating getting a difficult job done?

งานที่ยากลำบากนั้นจะสามารถทำให้เสร็จได้ต้องอาศัยทั้งเวลาและคำหวาน

ngaan têe yâak lám bàak nán jà săa-mâat tám hâi sèt dâai dtông aa-săi táng way-laa láe kám wăan

"Difficult We Can Do Right Now...Impossible Will Take A Little Longer"!

งานที่ยากเราสามารถทำได้ในทันที แต่งานที่เป็นไปไม่ได้จะต้องใช้เวลาสักหน่อยจึงจะเริ่มทำได้

ngaan têe yâak rao săa-mâat tám dâai nai tan tee dtàe ngaan têe bpen bpai mâi dâi jà dtông chái way-laa sàk nòi jeung jà rêrm tám dâai

Edited by yoot

Great stuff! She didn't find the garlic jar offensive but when I hit her with Tum Dern she went crazy!  :D

"Who teach you that? that not good in Thailand!"  Laugh? I nearly bought a round. :o

It's just that she was trying to fix my mate up with a mate of hers and I asked her to describe her.... "she's beautiful Andy, she's tall and thin"

and if she's tall and thin... you are?

she thought for a minute and reluctantly said "err, short and fat"

Anyway, we're still speaking!

thanks again.

Great stuff! She didn't find the garlic jar offensive but when I hit her with Tum Dern she went crazy!  :D

"Who teach you that? that not good in Thailand!"  Laugh? I nearly bought a round. :D

It's just that she was trying to fix my mate up with a mate of hers and I asked her to describe her.... "she's beautiful Andy, she's tall and thin"

and if she's tall and thin... you are?

she thought for a minute and reluctantly said "err, short and fat"

Anyway, we're still speaking!

thanks again.

You have a great sense of humour!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Balls!!!!! :o

Hello All,

On the same subject:  "Difficult We Can Do Right Now...Impossible Will Take A Little Longer"! :D

Cheers,

บุญมี

You can say it in Thai as this;

"All It Takes Is Time And A Few Kind Words"- used in illustrating getting a difficult job done?

งานที่ยากลำบากนั้นจะสามารถทำให้เสร็จได้ต้องอาศัยทั้งเวลาและคำหวาน

ngaan têe yâak lám bàak nán jà săa-mâat tám hâi sèt dâai dtông aa-săi táng way-laa láe kám wăan

"Difficult We Can Do Right Now...Impossible Will Take A Little Longer"!

งานที่ยากเราสามารถทำได้ในทันที แต่งานที่เป็นไปไม่ได้จะต้องใช้เวลาสักหน่อยจึงจะเริ่มทำได้

ngaan têe yâak rao săa-mâat tám dâai nai tan tee dtàe ngaan têe bpen bpai mâi dâi jà dtông chái way-laa sàk nòi jeung jà rêrm tám dâai

Thanks a lot, Yoot! :o

Hello All,

On the same subject:  "Difficult We Can Do Right Now...Impossible Will Take A Little Longer"! :o

Cheers,

บุญมี

I think the first saying you mention implies that it's difficult to persuade someone to do something because they're either timid, stuck in their ways, or stubborn; perhaps Yoot could come up with an idiom that implies patience and kindness will win over the reluctant.

Hello All,

On the same subject:  "Difficult We Can Do Right Now...Impossible Will Take A Little Longer"! :D

Cheers,

บุญมี

I think the first saying you mention implies that it's difficult to persuade someone to do something because they're either timid, stuck in their ways, or stubborn; perhaps Yoot could come up with an idiom that implies patience and kindness will win over the reluctant.

Actually, the gist of the first expression (in Yank terms) is less persuading someone who's reluctant to do a task as it's more of a "throw-away" expression.

For example, a job taking more time to accomplish or perhaps when the crew are discouraged - it can then be used.

Nothing too philosophical here. :o

Edited by Boon Mee

• 2 months later...

I saw this idiom awhile back and then it was in the paper again yesterday.

กินปูนร้อนท้อง- kin boon rawn tong- to literally eat lime or cement and suffer from indigestion, meaning to show one's disquiet, unease at being found out, to be defensive because you fear the truth and your guilt will be revealed.

' Darling, some of my Thai friends say I shouldn't marry a farang, they're....

"I wasn't in Soi Nana last night, I was only passing by.'

'Soi Nana? Were you ill my love? Visiting Bamungrad hospital?'

Look, it's not Aids, don't worry....'

Edited by bannork

• 2 months later...

A former Thai boxing champion is now working as a car park attendant in a restaurant in Bang Yai; tracked down by reporters he was asked if he had any advice for youngsters or aspiring boxers. He said:

ให้รู้จักประหยัดเเละเก็บออมเงินที่มาจากน้ำพักน้ำเเรง -hai roo jack pbrayad lae kep orm ngern

tee majack nam pak nam rairng

(they) should know how to economise and save money that comes from the sweat of one's brow.

We could also say: มาจากน้ำพักน้ำเเรง majak nam pak nam rairng- from one's own hard earned efforts. Could be a useful phrase when trying to keep the convince the wife\girlfriend to keep her demands for spending down.

Edited by bannork

• 1 month later...

I found it handy to learn the fun thai phrases that only thais know, it helps me learn the thai language better, and my thai friends laugh when I speak them.......

My friends wife was scolding her husband for staying up late and drinking with the boys.......I know both of them well, so I said "see saw hai kwai fung"........both of them just started laughing very hard........my friend was off the hook.

I was trying to negotiate a price with a thai girl, and she was giving me a hard time......so I said "gam kee dee gwaa, gam dtoot" her friends starting busting up with laughter & smiles.

nice translation: a little bit is better than nothing at all

gam kee dee gwaa, gam dtoot

Please post your favorites!

• 3 weeks later...
Someone else might have mentioned this one, I didn't see it. Lots of men visiting Thailand are guilty of this. Sorry, I don't know it in Thai.

Old bull eats young grass.

Has anyone else heard this before.

Hi,

Yes, in Thai I think they write it:

WUA GAE GIN YA AWN วัวแก่กินหญ้าอ่อน

Someone else might have mentioned this one, I didn't see it. Lots of men visiting Thailand are guilty of this. Sorry, I don't know it in Thai.

Old bull eats young grass.

Has anyone else heard this before.

Hi,

Yes, in Thai I think they write it:

WUA GAE GIN YA AWN วัวแก่กินหญ้าอ่อน

correcto! (perfect spelling too) :o

And a related one (not sure if it's been covered on the previous pages or not) - เฒ่าหัวงู (literally "Snakeheaded old man") = refers to old guys who likes young ladies, sort of like "dirty old pervert" :D

• 3 weeks later...

To copy something without thinking as to whether it's suitable or not, to not think it through. เห็นช้างขี้ ขี้ตามช้าง hen chang khee khee dtam chang, literally see the elephant crap, then crap as it does.( surely difficult at least in terms of quantity).

Dunno how to say/write in Thai but one of the guys here explained to me when

somebody is a litlle bit stupid they could say: He/she lives far from the cannon.

In the past everyday at 12:00 a cannon was shot, so only people living in BKK could hear it and farmers not. Yep, he told me people from upcountry are considered a bit less intelligent.

KR,

Alex

somebody is a litlle bit stupid they could say: He/she lives far from the cannon.

In the past everyday at 12:00 a cannon was shot, so only people living in BKK could hear it and farmers not. Yep, he told me people from upcountry are considered a bit less intelligent.

KR,

Alex

In Thai, there are two sayings which the meaning is quite similar.

ไกลปืนเที่ยง - far and unknowledgeble, underdeveloped

อยู่หลังเขา - living behind the mountain and hardly get any information or news from another side of the mountain, so that they don't know anything has happened.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

KR,

Alex

In Thai, there are two sayings which the meaning is quite similar.

ไกลปืนเที่ยง - far and unknowledgeble, underdeveloped

อยู่หลังเขา - living behind the mountain and hardly get any information or news from another side of the mountain, so that they don't know anything has happened.

Thought I would revive this excellent thread... :o

Actually I was wondering whether there was a saying similar to "I didn't just fall off the turnip truck"

I found this about "living behind the mountain" so I guess you could say "I don't live behind the mountain"

Anybody ever hear of a Thai saying that maybe a little more similar...and sarcastic. :D

Ting Tong Man :D

Hey, watch it there! I have a home in Thailand on the back side of a mountain. We can get one TV station at a time. To change the station we have someone go outside and turn the bamboo pole that has the antenna atop. And if needed we can drive only a few minutes down the road to get cell phone service. Alas we are still waiting for land phone lines. We may not be the first to know, but we eventually know what is happening when need be.