Thai Sayings and Phrases Wanted

RamdomChances

On 2/2/2019 at 9:45 PM, tgeezer said:

I have something for The Early bird.... " ตืนเช้าได้เงินหลาย ตืนสายได้เงินน้อย I am told it is equivalent although it seems to me to be too prosaic to be a saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

That's a beautiful phrase that I haven't heard before, sounds almost Isaan in construction and I had to google it to found this sign 

download.jpg

The dictionary gives a simple ไม่รู้ for ignorance, so it is possible that รับ is just a figure of speech or it could show that people believe what they want to believe. I think that there is an element of that in the expression ‘Ignorance is bliss’.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The dictionary gives a simple ไม่รู้ for ignorance, so it is possible that รับ is just a figure of speech or it could show that people believe what they want to believe. I think that there is an element of that in the expression ‘Ignorance is bliss’.

Have we discussed “What the eye doesn’t see the heart doesn’t grieve over” “If you look for trouble you are bound to find it” ? Both of these might be derived from ไม่รับรู้ดีกว่า in various contexts to me.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I seem to have screwed up my edit here.

• 1 month later...

Interesting! Thanks for posting. Here is a comparable definition from the "Sanuk" site:

"โป๊ะแตก ผู้ชายที่เผลอหลุดความเป็นหยิงออกมาจากเรือนร่าง"
[.....a man who unconsciously blurts out something confidential]

https://dictionary.sanook.com/search/dict-user/โป๊ะแตก1

Nice one katana. Here's one i read today, criticizing Abhisit for his stance of opposing Prayuth personally but not rejecting his party, plus admitting it's only his personal point of view, not a party resolution.

แทงกั๊ก betting both ways, a fence sitter.

Then you've got แทงใจ to be on the same wavelength, have the same thoughts.

โป๊ะแตก is also a seafood dish, mixed seafood soup like tom yum

on phrase with fishing origin there's ยกยอ yok yo(r)

yor is a fishing implement with nets that is lifted off the water 

aepgg.jpg

ยกยอ is when elevating someone in status, to adulate, 

often used with ยกยอปอปั้น 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 1:54 PM, digbeth said:

โป๊ะแตก is also a seafood dish, mixed seafood soup like tom yum

on phrase with fishing origin there's ยกยอ yok yo(r)

yor is a fishing implement with nets that is lifted off the water 

aepgg.jpg

ยกยอ is when elevating someone in status, to adulate, 

often used with ยกยอปอปั้น 

Thanks for that Digbeth. I've often used ยกยอ to mean flatter. Nice to see the origins of the meaning.

Disillusioned.

Tried various translation sites, but couldn't find it exactly.

I was talking with my wife, attempting to explain, how some people probably feel about current political events over the last week.

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Disillusioned.

Tried various translation sites, but couldn't find it exactly.

I was talking with my wife, attempting to explain, how some people probably feel about current political events over the last week.

When you say disillusioned with political events over the last week I'm not quite sure what you mean.

if you're disillusioned, you had expectations with someone or something and now that has gone. You have lost faith in that person or thing.

Is this what you mean? People hoped for change and now nothing is happening for over a month with lots of obstacles likely to appear?

But I would call that disappointment rather than disillusion because Thai people know full well the road back to a working democracy is a hard one.

ผมรู้สึกผิดหวังเมื่อรู้ว่ากระบวนการทางการเมืองไม่ได้ดีอย่างที่หวังไว้,

I feel disappointed/disillusioned when I realize the political process is not what I hoped for.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Banork, for those suggestions. Based on your explanation, how about "เสื่อมศรัทธา" as in

"พฤติกรรมของนักการเมืองทำให้คนเสื่อมศรัทธา ไม่อยากเลือกตั้งอีก"
(The behavior of politicians causes people to become disillusioned and decline to participate in elections anymore.)

"การเอาแต่วางแผนช่วงชิงอำนาจ โดยไม่คำนึงถึงความรู้สึกประชาชนทั่วไป เอาแต่ให้สะใจพวกพ้องที่สนับสนุนตัวเอง เป็นเรื่องโง่เขลาเบาปัญญา เพราะยิ่งจะทำให้เกิดความเสื่อมศรัทธามากขึ้น"

Planning to seize power and not considering the will of the people in general, but only to satisfy their own support base is ignorant and foolish because doing this only increases disillusionment.

"ด้วยเหตุนี้คนชั้นกลางและภาคธุรกิจจึงเริ่มเสื่อมศรัทธากับระบอบทักษิณ"

For this reason the middle class and the business sector have become disillusioned with Taksinomics.

"ในที่สุดทหารจะเสื่อมศรัทธาในรัฐบาลและเสถียรภาพของรัฐบาลจะต้องง่อนแง่นอย่างแน่นอน"

Finally, the military became disillusioned with the government and the government will lose its stability.

Edited by DavidHouston

สนิมเหล็กเกิดแต่เนื้อ ในตน

กินกัดเนื้อเหล็กจน กร่อนขร้ำ

บาปเกิดแต่ตนคน เป็นบาป

บาปย่อมทำโทษซ้ำ ใส่ผู้บาปเอง

แปลความ  

สนิมของเหล็กนั้นที่แท้แล้วก็เกิดขึ้นมาจากเนื้อเหล็กนั่นเองและสนิมนั้นก็จะกัดกินเนื้อเหล็กจนผุกร่อนไปจนสิ้น เปรียบได้กับบาปนั้นก็เกิดขึ้นจากตัวบุคคลเอง แล้วผลแห่งบาปนั้นก็จะให้ทุกข์ให้โทษแก่ผู้ที่กระทำบาปนั่นเอง

iron loses its strength when it rusts inside- the very thing that people want to preserve may in fact be destroyed not by an outside force, but by the fatal flaws of those people themselves.

Edited by bannork
  • Like 1

Thank you, Baannok. Is my understanding correct?

สนิมเกิดแต่เนื้อ    ในตน

กัดกินเนื้อเหล็กจน    กร่อนขร้ำ

บาปเกิดแต่ตนคน    เป็นบาป

บาปย่อมทำโทษซ้ำ    ใส่ผู้บาปเอง

Corrosion begins from within
It eats metal away until all that’s left is rust

Sin begins within our hearts

Its evil punishes the wicked themselves.

1 hour ago, DavidHouston said:

Thank you, Baannok. Is my understanding correct?

สนิมเกิดแต่เนื้อ    ในตน

Corrosion begins from within
It eats metal away until all that’s left is rust

Sin begins within our hearts

Its evil punishes the wicked themselves.

That's right David. If our motives to maintain the status quo are based on purely personal interests and privilege rather than the common good, our own actions may lead to our failure and destruction. 

Thank you, บ้านนอก. Let me try one more time:

สนิมเกิดแต่เนื้อ    ในตน

Corrosion begins    from within
It eats iron away    from the inside out

Our sins begin    within our hearts

Wickedness punishes    us sinners ourselves.

• Like 1

แต่เนื้อ means specifically the meat, (substance)
Occurring because of the nature of iron (ในตน)
Compared with แต่ตนคน specifically people.
เป็นบาป is a noun ‘sinfulness’ in my opinion.
Just as rust is due to the nature of the substance so is sinfulness due to the nature of mankind.

I hope no one interprets my intrusion as criticism, I think of the forum being similar to a book club.

Does longdo say ขร รำ+้is Japanese? I don’t understand that aspect of the dictionary.

19 hours ago, bannork said:

Poetic licence!

Sorry I missed this,. Definitely true bannock because in the explanation he says ที่แท้แล้ว which I take to mean iron where rust forms on the surface and forms a protective coating!  Fortunaletly the homily just says เหล็ก which can mean steel. 

Edited by tgeezer

• 1 month later...

I usually order soup daily on the street. I try to order mine with just chicken, pork, or beef meat - no balls of any kind wanted. Is there an easy way to say "no balls" meaning any kind of ball that street vendors will easily understand?