Tv Went On Fire.

Wee Jimmy

They are designed to detect a difference between hot and neutral line current - a fire was most likely caused by short from hot to neutral or component failure causing heat/fire and it is likely the breaker tripped first from excessive current in that case.

Did the over-current breaker trip? The earth leakage component of the Safety-Cut only senses an active to earth problem, unlikely this was what caused the fire. lopburi3 pointed out the most likely problem.

Did you actually have a TV fire or just fizzing, a bang and lots of smoke? Has the TV been repaired in the past?

As others have noted, the RCD part of the safety breaker would not have tripped as there was no earth leakage, the over-current probably didn't go out either as an internal fuse in the TV should have opened long before the MCB got a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar situation with my outside gate opener. The control PCB regularly

catches fire. Typically it is due to various animals (Geckos) creating a short and

getting fried to the PCB which eventually causes a small electrical fire.

In my case I have tried to plug up all hole to prevent anything from crawling inside.

Not sure that is possible with a TV as it needs some air circulation to cool internal

components.

rudi

Overheating of mechanical; or electrical components without any electrical leakage may cause a fire but will not trip the RCB.

Due to this reason, the rear compressor of a refrigerator or a pump for the fish tank should be placed well ventilated and combustible materials should not be placed near them.

Edited by trogers

Your RCB question is answered.

The main causes of TV fires are there age or premature aging of components due to over heating.

As already mentioned repairs not being carried out correctly and when bad soldering has been carried out.

The TV being left on standby all the time, bad idea.

A TV placed within an enclosed area or inside furniture etc, restricting cooling.

Leaving a TV plugged in the wall socket when not in use.

Although TV fires are not common place they do happen as OP now knows.

A good practice is to clean the TV with a vacuum cleaner around it's air intakes from time to time.

It's quite common in Thailand to see a pretty frilly cloth over the top of the TV, bad idea.