Dropped My Bike For The First Time Today

alexpoker

So me and KRS1(mostly him) were working on my bike today. He painted it over the last two days and today we put new stickers on. I call up the guy I bought it from and ask if I can trade in my white passenger seat for the black one since it will go with the new colors.

Hes like "So, did you crash it yet?" I can happily tell him that I didnt. 5 min later me and KRS1 are heading down Doi Suthep, me in front trying to get away from him and I go too wide and end up skidding on the grass on the side of the road and falling to the ground. No major injuries or anything, right side fairing was totally scratched up and a little loose.

I felt worse that I managed to do this after KRS1 put so much hard work into the bike, than hurting myself.

Think its time to invest in a jacket and some other gear. Wearing a Tshirt just wont cut it.

Ironically Ive been looking at a leather jacket for 10k baht, but was considering just waiting till my visa expired in a months time and go to Mae Sai. I remember disctinctly saying "I prolly wont crash in a month anyways" lol.

I see so many people riding in tshirts ,shorts,flip flops etc.It's just A matter of time.sooner or later the odds are against ya your going A have A big one.even with the helmet on ya don't have much of A chance.

Bundle up leathers ,boots,gloves etc.

Thanks for all the kind comments guys.

dam_n...

At least you're not hurt... might be wise to put on sliders/crash protectors and such, after doing the repairs.

You might want to check closeouts here for jackets :D

sportbiketrackgear.com

These ppl delivier to Thailand? What about customs?

Just have a friend or a relative bring it over when they drop by for a visit.:D

Glad to hear your ok!

You can buy protective gear here in Chiang Mai you know?

Full set of leathers is probably gonna be a little heavy & hot over here.

A lot of the stuff in Mae Sai is crap over priced copied gear, it may look the part but when you need it to perform could you rely on it?

I've looked at a lot of the stuff up there and to be honest, I wouldn't entertain the thought of 99.9% of it.

Yea I was thinking about getting a leather jacket and possiblye kevlar denim jeans from Fast Corner. Havent seen any leather pants anywhere.

Also where can I get some sort protection for the hip area. When I fell yesterday I landed on my elbow, hip and shoulder. Most jackets, it seems theres a back protector pad and some even have chest armor apart from the usual elbow and shoulder pads, but no padding around the midsection on the sides.

Happy you haven't get harmed seriously. As i always fear falling down myself, i like to take it very slowly. But this is sure sometimes difficult to stick to. I started driving bike in Thailand again after 20 years. I remember you are relativly new to driving motorbike. Please not only buy good gear and make good insurance. The most important thing is to drive carefully and sloooooooooowly. Don't mind about others might think you are a softy. You are the clever guy if you start carefully :)

I dropped my Yamaha Virago a couple of months ago on the twisty uphill bit of the 106 off the route 1 to Li and Chiang Mai.

I was raining on and off and it is mostly 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear up there.

I went around a very tight left hand bend in 1st, cranked over a bit then as I went round I whanged the throttle open too far and the back end tried to overtake the front even as I turned hard right too late.

I was only doing about 10 to 15 kph and I just lost it.

Fortunately I had a jacket on but I ended up sliding uphill backwards resting comfortable on my backpack. I stopped with the handlebar and clutch lever through my waterproof trousers and 2 big bruises, 1 on my thigh and the other above my wedding tackle.

I was very lucky that nothing was coming close after me up the hill and a couple of Thais coming down stopped to help me.

I was very lucky and drove on up to CM with more caution than before.

There are many bold bikers and quite a few old bikers but very few old bold bikers. I am 67 and count myself lucky that day.

I was embarrassed, bruised but my ego took a big battering.

I thought I was better than that.

I relearned that lesson the hard way.

i did practically the same thing once , one lightly raining morning i was going to get fried chicken and sticky rice and the bike slid out from under me going around a slow but tight corner on a metal grating (those things are lethal ,worse than manhole covers )

i off course was dressed in gym shorts ,a vest + flip flops (official thai uniform for riding motorcycles :rolleyes:)

lost the skin from my left knee ,hip and the back of my shoulder ,sore for a few days but i drive over that metal thing now like an old woman crossing a road even when its not wet

i did practically the same thing once , one lightly raining morning i was going to get fried chicken and sticky rice and the bike slid out from under me going around a slow but tight corner on a metal grating (those things are lethal ,worse than manhole covers )

Yeah, those thing are nasty....

Fortunately I had a jacket on but I ended up sliding uphill backwards resting comfortable on my backpack. I stopped with the handlebar and clutch lever through my waterproof trousers and 2 big bruises, 1 on my thigh and the other above my wedding tackle.

That reminds me when i was younger, me and 3 other friends were riding two up on two 50cc Yamaha Jazz scooters, trying to kick each other's bike off the road. My friend who was driving took a corner to sharp and the bike stand caught and we flipped, didn't help that he kicked at the same time.:ermm: i was on top of my friend the whole time and only came out with a scratchd middle finger knuckle, he didnt look so good. Talk about dumb things as kids.

I hate gravel, doing about 20, bike in front breaks sharply in a bend, so do I, bike goes down. My fault really as I know I hit the front brake too hard while turning, lesson learnt. Bike was fine, not even a scratch, but my ribs and shoulder killed me for about a week. Had a cheap 1000B Honda jacket on, which saved my skin from any scrapes, i'm guessing toughened nylon. My knee was sore though.

I dropped my Yamaha Virago a couple of months ago on the twisty uphill bit of the 106 off the route 1 to Li and Chiang Mai.

I went around a very tight left hand bend in 1st, cranked over a bit then as I went round I whanged the throttle open too far and the back end tried to overtake the front even as I turned hard right too late.

I was very lucky that nothing was coming close after me up the hill and a couple of Thais coming down stopped to help me.

There are many bold bikers and quite a few old bikers but very few old bold bikers. I am 67 and count myself lucky that day.

Yet you are still riding on the same tires that are so old you can't even make out the manufacture date, right? :whistling:

I hear you've since replaced the front but have kept the rear. That makes no sense at all...

Glad you escaped undamaged but please get yourself some proper tires!

Yea I was thinking about getting a leather jacket and possiblye kevlar denim jeans from Fast Corner. Havent seen any leather pants anywhere.

Also where can I get some sort protection for the hip area. When I fell yesterday I landed on my elbow, hip and shoulder. Most jackets, it seems theres a back protector pad and some even have chest armor apart from the usual elbow and shoulder pads, but no padding around the midsection on the sides.

Most decent riding pants have CE armor and padding in the hips. Fastcorner stocks a lot of Yellow Corn gear and they make some fantastic riding pants, though they are a bit spendy what with the Yen being where it's at these days and Fastcorner sourcing direct from Japan...

What size are you? I have a fantastic size 40 Hein Gericke jacket that unfortunately I can no longer fit into. I've had it for 20 years and it's saved my skin several times.

Seems this is the only pic I can find of it-

092609Er6n1Sm.jpg

Best jacket I've ever owned but unless I lose ~5Kg I'll never be able to wear it again...

I hate gravel, doing about 20, bike in front breaks sharply in a bend, so do I, bike goes down. My fault really as I know I hit the front brake too hard while turning, lesson learnt. Bike was fine, not even a scratch, but my ribs and shoulder killed me for about a week. Had a cheap 1000B Honda jacket on, which saved my skin from any scrapes, i'm guessing toughened nylon. My knee was sore though.

Not uncommon to panic and grab too much brake. That's where ABS can save your bacon B)

Yet you are still riding on the same tires that are so old you can't even make out the manufacture date, right? :whistling:

I hear you've since replaced the front but have kept the rear. That makes no sense at all...

Front tyre replaced a while ago but with the rain we have had up here I have only clocked about 200km in a month.

The rear is still OK but I think I need new glasses to read balack on black.

Front tyre replaced a while ago but with the rain we have had up here I have only clocked about 200km in a month.

But I thought you said (on this forum or another) that you crashed because the rear the lost traction, not the front? :unsure:

But I thought you said (on this forum or another) that you crashed because the rear the lost traction, not the front? :unsure:

I did and the rear tried to overtake the front.

I was leaning over to the left going around a sharp left hand bend with the handlebars turned left.

I opened the throttle too far and started to go into the kerb, so I turned the bars to the right to straighten up, but too late as I was still leaning to the left as the bike was not upright and it just pushed me down onto the road before I could do anything else.

Game over and luckily my body was far enough away from the bike for my leg not to be trapped under the bike and I stopped with my left foot down near the gear lever and the handlebar through my waterproof trousers. I then hit the engine kill switch to stop the motor running and I suppose the rear wheel from turning.

I sat up and lifted the handlebar off my trousers and was able to scoot backwards to get free of the bike and stand up. It is a heavy old bike but as I had overtaken a truck and trailer several moments before. being on the wrong side gives you a little more strength with the thought of being crunched.

Anyway I had a couple of colourful bruises and a very flattened ego but fortunately no damage to my bike.

And there you have it.

Stupidity and press-on-itis can lead you into trouble.

Edited by billd766