Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

overcast and gloomy today in pattaya and i did not venture out along beach road till after 17 30, few people left on the beach.

but the gloomiest people i saw were 3 indians in jet ski bother at the bottom of soi 12.

who was there to assist negotiations? the old sikh guy again. you would have had more luck getting justice of judge jeffries at the west country assizes back in 1685.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised, with all the daily rip-offs and tussles, that no one yet has been seriously injured or killed. That's what it will take for authorities to take it seriously. Daily extortions and dozens of ruined vacations per week aren't enough in themselves to get authorties to do anything useful. Or, more believably, the authorities are simply too weak to stop it (as they are helpless to stop taxi rip-offs in Phuket), or they themselves are skimming money on the scams.

Today opposite Mike’s Shopping mall a big fight broke out at around 5:30pm. A group of Middle Easterners (Nationality unknown) had rented jet skis and before the police could arrive the one of the owners (wearing the long sleeve grey shirt) kicked one of them in the stomach, then several of the jet ski staff jumped in fighting the other renters. After the brief scuffle one of the renters had a big gash on his head with heavy bleeding. I believe he was hit in the head with a motorcycle battery as I saw one of them leaving the scene with it in his hand.

The jet ski owner originally claimed one of renters put a scratch on the front right of the jet ski, but from my vantage point I could see no scratch The outcome and the condition the renters is unknown as I left quickly after that.

The renter in the photo with brown shorts, no shirt and tattoo on his arm was very aggressive, he broke a beer bottle on the ground and then started threatening one of the renters and then to a bystander who told him he should no scam tourist every day like this.

The video is a big shaky.

What a shame.

Pattaya has always been rough around the edges but my last two visits there were my last. It has gone downhill so much and full of more undesirables than ever. Having gone there many, many times in the past, I've never experienced such rude behavior from the locals as I did the last two trips. It was just an overall bad experience pretty much everywhere we went. Pattaya never was a fair representation of "Thailand" and I'm sorry to say that the Mayor has lost all control of this town, or perhaps controls it, whichever, and is driving it into the ground with a quickness. The roads were also in horrible condition, pot holes everywhere and the beach was eroding in several areas. Not something to expect from such a high traffic tourist destination.

Back in the day I used to think Phnem Phen was lawless, and it was. But I've seen more violence in Pattaya in the past few years than I ever did in a lawless Cambodia 10 years ago.

I wish everyone luck who stays there. It's only going to get worse.

I totally agree. Leave Pattaya to the suckers who know no better, the Russians, Indians, Chinese etc.

The locals have become obscenely greedy, rude, aggressive and incredibly racist. The jet ski scam is just a particuliarly prominent form of abuse that in fact represents the general attitude very accurately.

I have shifted my attention to Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia and other countries. They are better, they offer better value, the people are nicer and in fact, you know what, the women are nicer too.

• Like 1

Today opposite Mike’s Shopping mall a big fight broke out at around 5:30pm. A group of Middle Easterners (Nationality unknown) had rented jet skis and before the police could arrive the one of the owners (wearing the long sleeve grey shirt) kicked one of them in the stomach, then several of the jet ski staff jumped in fighting the other renters. After the brief scuffle one of the renters had a big gash on his head with heavy bleeding. I believe he was hit in the head with a motorcycle battery as I saw one of them leaving the scene with it in his hand.

The jet ski owner originally claimed one of renters put a scratch on the front right of the jet ski, but from my vantage point I could see no scratch The outcome and the condition the renters is unknown as I left quickly after that.

The renter in the photo with brown shorts, no shirt and tattoo on his arm was very aggressive, he broke a beer bottle on the ground and then started threatening one of the renters and then to a bystander who told him he should no scam tourist every day like this.

What a shame.

Pattaya has always been rough around the edges but my last two visits there were my last. It has gone downhill so much and full of more undesirables than ever. Having gone there many, many times in the past, I've never experienced such rude behavior from the locals as I did the last two trips. It was just an overall bad experience pretty much everywhere we went. Pattaya never was a fair representation of "Thailand" and I'm sorry to say that the Mayor has lost all control of this town, or perhaps controls it, whichever, and is driving it into the ground with a quickness. The roads were also in horrible condition, pot holes everywhere and the beach was eroding in several areas. Not something to expect from such a high traffic tourist destination.

Back in the day I used to think Phnem Phen was lawless, and it was. But I've seen more violence in Pattaya in the past few years than I ever did in a lawless Cambodia 10 years ago.

I totally agree. Leave Pattaya to the suckers who know no better, the Russians, Indians, Chinese etc.

The locals have become obscenely greedy, rude, aggressive and incredibly racist. The jet ski scam is just a particuliarly prominent form of abuse that in fact represents the general attitude very accurately.

I have shifted my attention to Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia and other countries. They are better, they offer better value, the people are nicer and in fact, you know what, the women are nicer too.

Totally agree with this line "The jet ski scam is just a particuliarly prominent form of abuse that in fact represents the general attitude very accurately"

This was part of my general point earlier. Its not just about the physical scams, its partly the attitude and culture that Pattaya Thais now have.

The Thai people in Pattaya do not represent the majority of the population. All the ones in Pattaya are horrible people that only want to rip you off, farangs and thai's alike, they are truly horrible nasty people here and should be treated as so....

Most Thai's in other parts of the nation are generally happy respectful people who are willing to help without the sole intention of monetary gains!!

I now hate 99.9% of the thai's in Pattaya as does the wife - c**ts, the lot of them....

Jet ski guys are a friendly bunch tho - lol

JH

Ask any Thai if they like living in Pattaya. The answer is always no.

They are here for one thing only.

Sorry, confused by that. How is that relevant, they are still here and the greed is still in place. Whether they like it here or not doesnt matter and shouldnt be a reason for any change in behaviour as opposed to their normal attitude. The fact that it may not be their ideal place to live is not relevant. So really what they want is the money Pattaya brings and to be back home in the village at the same time...lol..lol

Surely isnt part of having more money by living somewhere part of enjoying it more ? I didn't like living and working in London but I did and I wouldnt use it as an excuse if i then started acting different.

Sorry, your point seems either quite naive of their greed or just a contradiction. If I'm wrong please explain further.

well i have not given up on pattaya, nor do i think it's any worse than years ago apart from having to put up with the russians etc

meanwhile during a brief beach road walk 15 30 i come across 3 indians (maybe i can create a template and just amend the daily details slightly) getting the treatment opposite pattaya city walk. usual nonsense this time 1 is held on the beach while 2 accompanied by 2 jet ski wallahs go to seek funds. I tailed them for a short way and watched as these 2 twice tried to get help from indians in tailors shops. nice try but i'm sure the tailors prefer their shops in 1 piece so i don't think they were getting much help. but i liked the initiative.

am here for less than a week now so my reports will end soon

I am now up to 60 in scams with photos, not counting the others too risky to get the camera out

Edited by striderman

well i have not given up on pattaya, nor do i think it's any worse than years ago apart from having to put up with the russians etc

meanwhile during a brief beach road walk 15 30 i come across 3 indians (maybe i can create a template and just amend the daily details slightly) getting the treatment opposite pattaya city walk. usual nonsense this time 1 is held on the beach while 2 accompanied by 2 jet ski wallahs go to seek funds. I tailed them for a short way and watched as these 2 twice tried to get help from indians in tailors shops. nice try but i'm sure the tailors prefer their shops in 1 piece so i don't think they were getting much help. but i liked the initiative.

am here for less than a week now so my reports will end soon

I am now up to 60 in scams with photos, not counting the others too risky to get the camera out

Is there a particular time these scams take place? Is it like a last sale of the day thing?

Is there a particular time these scams take place? Is it like a last sale of the day thing?

it can be anytime but late afternoon is the worst time. today i wanted to attend a falang funeral at wat chaimongkron so it was only a brief visit.

remember i am not there all day i just report what i see as i walk along but i am good at knowing what to look for, they never stand by the ski's for very long it's too hot.

the footie shirt mob near the blue lagoon sign were going down to 300 bht in an effort to drum up business. and when something looks too good to be true it usually is.

Well done striderman for the reports ,its people like you that will eventually help in stopping this .

Its amazing how people such as yourself can spend a few minutes a day on the beach and see the scams going on yet there is video surveillance cameras the whole length of the beach and reports online how Pattaya officials a while back confirmed they are all working , yet when the scams are on there are no law enforcement officals to be found.

A few months back Pattaya city hall said they were going to be handing out safety brochure to tourist about the certain scams going on but nothing has hapenned.

Eight questions needs to asked by our embassies , media outlets and travel agencies and that is --

1 .Why aren't tourists being warned against the jet ski crime gangs on Pattaya beach.

2. What surveillance measures are in place to help tourists if they get in difficulty on the beach with the scammers.

3. Why are these operators allowed to operate without insurance still ?

4. Why is it taking so long to bring in regulations.

5. Why is it that tourists can be assaulted and the jet ski vendors are still allowed to operate.

6. Why is it that Pattaya City hall allow tourist to rent jet ski's when they are well aware the tourist has a high chance of being scammed or assaulted.

7. What is being done to stop these scams.

8. Should jet ski's be banned .

Edited by MrMonk

What a shame.

Well I live here and most Thais are friendly. The jetskis in front of the Central Festival never seem to have a problem, I'm around there most days. Many Thais might not like Pattaya but they don't all come here out of greed. They can make a better living, and easier, than planting rice.

Below tweet from US Embassy ACS today:

ACSlogo_normal.jpg

ACS Bangkok

Be very careful when renting jet skis in Pattaya. Still hearing reports about jet ski scams & aggressive behavior towards tourists who rent

Huh, it worked. More people need to send a link to this topic to their embassies.

What a shame.

Well I live here and most Thais are friendly. The jetskis in front of the Central Festival never seem to have a problem, I'm around there most days. Many Thais might not like Pattaya but they don't all come here out of greed. They can make a better living, and easier, than planting rice.

Fred I have to disagree with you about this but I have seen a lot of disputes opposite central and also directly across from the police station.

Most of the time late in the day and generally they pick on groups of two or more.

I have seen scams the whole length of the beach no one is safe .

Well done striderman for the reports ,its people like you that will eventually help in stopping this .

You do know this is not going to stop anytime soon, if ever, don't you?

1) How many CCTV cameras are all over the beach filming every square meter of where the scams and violence take place daily? And why have they not been used even once to help sort out one of these matters, especially when violence was used? I'll let you guess why.

2) Why is it the mayor nor the police ever do anything about this, after all these years?

3) Why are weapons being used by Thais, knives, machetes, sticks and clubs, to threaten and harm tourists with, and none of them are ever charged with any sort of assult? How can these people threaten the lives of tourists and actually cause physical harm and NOTHING BE DONE ABOUT IT, EVER? In Phuket they pull guns on people with no consequences. I'll let you guess why.

4) Regardless of how much information is online about this, people are generally stupid and always thinks something bad will never happen to them. My last trip to Pattaya I watched two separate occasions where tourists watched other people get scammed, then rented the same jet skis only to get scammed themselves. One can only think that at that stage they deserve it because they are total idiots.

For these reasons and more, it won't be ending anytime soon. The powers that be run this scam and know very well what is going on, but they don't care because they are making money hand over fist, day in and day out. They know stupid and uninformed tourists will rent anyway no matter how bad it gets. They know they will rent even after watching others get scammed. People are just that dumb and those in power know they can capitalize on their ignorance and blind trust in the "land of smiles."

I commend all of your effort but you are all taking a risk yourself trying to document this. What is going to happen when they turn on you and stab you in the stomach? You'll probably die or be seriously injured and nothing will happen to them. To say they are above the law is an understatement because the law protects them and collects a pay check from the entire operation. One of these days they are going to turn on you while holding your camera and then you're going to be sorry you got involved with 100 crocodiles fighting for a piece of meat.

Edited by Rimmer
Comment about a Public figure removed

You do know this is not going to stop anytime soon, if ever, don't you?

1) How many CCTV cameras are all over the beach filming every square meter of where the scams and violence take place daily? And why have they not been used even once to help sort out one of these matters, especially when violence was used? I'll let you guess why.

2) Why is it the mayor nor the police ever do anything about this, after all these years?

3) Why are weapons being used by Thais, knives, machetes, sticks and clubs, to threaten and harm tourists with, and none of them are ever charged with any sort of assult? How can these people threaten the lives of tourists and actually cause physical harm and NOTHING BE DONE ABOUT IT, EVER? In Phuket they pull guns on people with no consequences. I'll let you guess why.

4) Regardless of how much information is online about this, people are generally stupid and always thinks something bad will never happen to them. My last trip to Pattaya I watched two separate occasions where tourists watched other people get scammed, then rented the same jet skis only to get scammed themselves. One can only think that at that stage they deserve it because they are total idiots.

For these reasons and more, it won't be ending anytime soon. The powers that be run this scam and know very well what is going on, but they don't care because they are making money hand over fist, day in and day out. They know stupid and uninformed tourists will rent anyway no matter how bad it gets. They know they will rent even after watching others get scammed. People are just that dumb and those in power know they can capitalize on their ignorance and blind trust in the "land of smiles."

I commend all of your effort but you are all taking a risk yourself trying to document this. What is going to happen when they turn on you and stab you in the stomach? You'll probably die or be seriously injured and nothing will happen to them. To say they are above the law is an understatement because the law protects them and collects a pay check from the entire operation. One of these days they are going to turn on you while holding your camera and then you're going to be sorry you got involved with 100 crocodiles fighting for a piece of meat.

And that just about sums it up !! It is not just a small group of thugs that are involved in this and many other unsavoury deeds...THIS IS ORGANISED CRIME, but because i know and try to respect the forum rules, i cant point any fingers, but then again do i really need to?..think about it for about 10 seconds and then you will be almost as certain as i am as to who is pulling the strings here.

300,000 THB a day robbed from visitors, for years, in broad daylight on Pattaya Beach and the police protect the criminals.

Same thing happens in Phukett, Samui etc.

Yawn......

If you have seen actually a jet ski scam take place the last thing it would do is make you yawn.

Everyone harping on about it makes me yawn, i will however make time to go and witness one, any idea of time and location??

Maybe we can start another thread about it once i witness one, just what we need!!!

JH

It seems that the daily scams are in one area...infront of Royal Garden-so someone should put a sign up warning the tourists. Of course, the city won't do it because they seem to be afraid. Someone like a farang would probably get their head blown off but it would be worth a try...maybe have a katoey put the sign up at 2am in the morning.

300,000 THB a day robbed from visitors, for years, in broad daylight on Pattaya Beach and the police protect the criminals.

Same thing happens in Phukett, Samui etc.

Yawn......

If you have seen actually a jet ski scam take place the last thing it would do is make you yawn.

Everyone harping on about it makes me yawn, i will however make time to go and witness one, any idea of time and location??

Maybe we can start another thread about it once i witness one, just what we need!!!

JH

Accross from Mikes shopping mall as said above. It is unusual when one is not happening around 4 to 6 in the afternoon. I saw 3 indian involved there today getting scammed.

The sign on the telephone pole is a great idea. Just a few people willing to take the risk to do this would probably help. A simple "Renting Jetskis is a Scam" should be enough. I don't know where the cameras are on the street, but one could wear a hooded coat or a hat and glasses. They would need a quick way of attaching it like a stapler gun.

I live on Samui and if the scam ever picks up here again, I will do the same. The hotel warnings seemed to have slowed it down here.

Accross from Mikes shopping mall as said above. It is unusual when one is not happening around 4 to 6 in the afternoon. I saw 3 indian involved there today getting scammed.

missed the action today. i only report if i see one i don't make them up, it's a question of being in the right place at the right time. but yesterday i was in the right place to overhear 4 american girls inc 1 blond with esp long legs saying "you can sit behind me " now under normal circumstances i would never dream of speaking to these 4 as my hansum man outfit only works with thai ladies but i was able to put them off renting a ski by telling them and convincing them by showing some stored pics on my camera.

a small victory but sometimes little things make it all worthwhile and i did not yawn once

Edited by striderman

Just ignore people like him striderman , it would be a different matter if his own family were scammed and threatened by these people , There is always someone who just want's to stir things up instead of going down and seeing what actually goes on an may have other motives.