Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

[

I think someone wilh a zoom lens should be able to take some good pictures from a long distance? If they see you you will have time to escape .

I hope someone will and post the pictures all over internet .

i have posted 300 + pics of approx 43 scams so far on another pattaya forum.

i was here the same time last year and i am sure fewer people are renting and are more aware of the scam risk.

that and daily onshore winds that make the sea quite rough and that has been putting folks off too

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have posted 300 + pics of approx 43 scams so far on another pattaya forum.

i was here the same time last year and i am sure fewer people are renting and are more aware of the scam risk.

that and daily onshore winds that make the sea quite rough and that has been putting folks off too

Good work !

Lets hope it will warn more people of being scammed.

first thing the ski i saw with some body damage late on dec 31 st and cost the punter 18,000 bht i saw back on jan 4 th. it could have been ok the day before but it rained most of the day on the 3rd so i did not go out for my coconut bar walk.

today is overcast and a bit windy again so few people on the beach today and the ski's at anchor.

but the mcdonalds hot spot was at it again about 14 10 with 2 ruskies on the receiving end.

usual routine of pointing refering to photos taken before hire etc etc etc............the diddy camera they were using i don't know how you could spot a small mark on the tiny screen, but it's all part of the play

about 30 mins later i passed by again to find a "policeman" in attendence. he had a combat style body jacket with police written on it and a walkie talkie but that was it. jeans and a baseball cap and a fag in his hand i doubt he was the real thing.

I have seen quite a few of the police who do attend and i have never seen him, i think it was just a mate of theirs playing a role to order

Yep, pats is going downhill fast, and the jet ski scam; overbuilding; and package tourists are accelerating the slide. To bad about the neglect of the beaches--rip offs, poor maintenance, over building, and failure to address the sewage problem, because, as in Phuket(not Patong), they can be the saving grace of an overdeveloped tourist trap. Sorry for going way OT, but most of my pals are starting to feel the same way.

Chaing Mai for real Thai experience, and Snooky for the beaches.

Doesn't matter what us farangs think. Most of us know about it. It's the Russians and Indian package tourists who seem oblivious to the dangers here.

Yep, pats is going downhill fast, and the jet ski scam; overbuilding; and package tourists are accelerating the slide. To bad about the neglect of the beaches--rip offs, poor maintenance, over building, and failure to address the sewage problem, because, as in Phuket(not Patong), they can be the saving grace of an overdeveloped tourist trap. Sorry for going way OT, but most of my pals are starting to feel the same way.

Chaing Mai for real Thai experience, and Snooky for the beaches.

Doesn't matter what us farangs think. Most of us know about it. It's the Russians and Indian package tourists who seem oblivious to the dangers here.

Thais don't see Russians as f-rangs? They mostly seem mighty white to me!

in punxsutawney pennsylvania groundhog day is celebrated on feb 2 nd but opposite mcdonalds on beach road they go through the same routine almost every day.

today was no exception as 3 ruskies got the treatment about 14 30 this afternoon. dealing out the grief was the extra from the water margin, unusual to see him this far down the beach his home turf is opposite the blue lagoon.

i saw the 3 of them leave in a foul mood and disappear into the beach rd entrance of the marriott, guess they should have read the sign.

elsewhere on the beach the ski's were mostly parked up

Edited by striderman

Yesterday I saw 4 indian's involved in a scam across from Mikes shopping mall. Seems they let 2 of them go to get money but when they returned had brought a police man with them instead. This was not one of the usual police man that tries to make the renters "pay up or else" as he quickly made everyone go to the police station. Soon after they departed the beach using two camera's, the scammers started taking new photos of the "alleged damage" and I could not even see any marks or scrapes what so ever of what they photo graphing. I don't know what the outcome was.

meanwhile in groundhog pattaya i came across 2 indian guys being kebabed right at the start of beach road about 13 00 today.

no time today for the beach and it's dull and overcast with not much happening so less than 15 mins later i walk past again to see how things were going.

not good, a proper tandoori job in progress as the elderly sikh guy has turned up to "mediate" so their fate was sealed. only the bottom line of the settlement bill to be decided

Edited by striderman

whats almost funny is the bottoms of those jetskis are heavily damaged by the opperators racing them up the beaches, which should be illegal as its a danger to sunbathers and swimmers, the scammers always consentrate on the small scratches on the sides, if a renter saw the bottom he probably wouldnt rent for fear of sinking

• Like 1

Yesterday I saw 4 indian's involved in a scam across from Mikes shopping mall. Seems they let 2 of them go to get money but when they returned had brought a police man with them instead. This was not one of the usual police man that tries to make the renters "pay up or else" as he quickly made everyone go to the police station. Soon after they departed the beach using two camera's, the scammers started taking new photos of the "alleged damage" and I could not even see any marks or scrapes what so ever of what they photo graphing. I don't know what the outcome was.

Yesterday I saw a group of 5 Indians on Beach Road talking to and photographing a girl and inspecting the alleged damage. I didn't see any marks or scrapes but I am pretty sure of the outcome.

not a lot of renting going on today.

the bad luck and extremely careless driving skills of the customers who rent from opposite mcdonald's royal garden plaza continued again as the sun was setting 18 10 this evening. It is a miracle their machines can even float.

couple of indians in the firing line again

not a lot of renting going on today.

the bad luck and extremely careless driving skills of the customers who rent from opposite mcdonald's royal garden plaza continued again as the sun was setting 18 10 this evening. It is a miracle their machines can even float.

couple of indians in the firing line again

yes, considering that there are at multiple jetski crashes every day surely they should be banned before there is a fatality, the renters should at least be warned of the danger and made to wear helmets, warnings should go up in all hotels "most jetski renters crash, rent at your own risk". I dont think the scammers could complain about that, altho its always fun to see them rip off their shirts and jump around like monkeys if they do Edited by XAMPI

Where can one even start on this subject. This has been going on for so long its enough to make a cat laugh.

You only need to ask your self one question....How can a crime that is conducted everyday, in the same place, by the same people and in the same manner survive for years and years without being stopped. Now even for Pattaya police (who I think are possibly the worst force I have ever come across) it should be easy to catch these people. So the fact they don't can only lead us to the conclusion that this is a big money business where everyone benefits. The operators, police and I would say perhaps even City Hall itself. I say City Hall because the government must be in on it somewhere as something this big and public and isolated just wouldn't survive if the government really really wanted it to go. We are talking about crimes committed along a 2/3 KM beach with plenty of evidence already and alot of publicity, not exactly FBI stuff is it. Now I know there will always be people who come across this for the first time and will have the same first instincts as the rest of us had. They will want to be positive, constructive and think of ways to sort it out in our very western way. We are naive !! This scam wont stop for a long time to come and any efforts or stress are futile. You are battling with ignorance and a big money business.

Now I might be accused of being negative but I think there is a thin line between that and the facts. Who in this world is going to convince the police, operators and City Hall that it is a good idea to lose what is probably between a 100-200 thousand baht weekly business here in Pattaya. No way !! Our western values and logical thinking don't mean sh*t. We are human ATMs, we have the money so they think its ok to steal it from us. The same mentality as when you pay 10 baht more for your chicken and rice or when a policeman lets 3 kids on a bike with no hats drive past but stops you because you are a farang. The list goes on and anyone who has been here for only even a few days will probably have an example of being treated differently. Now we laugh it off and no doubt someone will accuse me of being a bit petty about it because most of the time we are talking small things so we don't mind too much but my point is this kind of thinking reflects also in the jet ski scams and its allowance to continue.

2 fundamental things would have to happen before you even get to the logistics and practice of stopping Jet Ski scams.

1. Convince the fat cats on the beach, Pattaya police and City Hall to close down their multi million baht a year business and take Jet Skis off the beach (errr......not gonna happen)

2. The mentality that farangs are equal and not to be treated different, robbed, scammed etc just because they have more money (50-100 years minimum)

I think anyone who has any knowledge of these scams will agree that both are a long way off. Bottom line for me is I will make sure I never use the Jet Skis personally and everyone else I know. Apart from that you cant do a thing and will never be able to.

Edited by rinteln

xampi i have been on this case since march 2010, have pics of 47 events and have seen many more. in all that time only 2 or 3 times have i seen any damage and only one was of any note and that was fixed in 3/4 days. the fact is they rarely bump into each other it is all in the minds of the guys doing the renting to extract money from innocent falangs.

Rintein strangely i am missing 4 regular scammers this trip, 1 big player 2 medium rank and 1 noteable side kick. They have vanished from the beach if they were around i would have seen them by now.

xampi i have been on this case since march 2010, have pics of 47 events and have seen many more. in all that time only 2 or 3 times have i seen any damage and only one was of any note and that was fixed in 3/4 days. the fact is they rarely bump into each other it is all in the minds of the guys doing the renting to extract money from innocent falangs.

yes I realize that, was just making the pretence that either way they should be banned, and as I mentioned before, those jetskis are very damaged but the damage is underneath where the renters dont see and its from the operators racing them up the beach which is extremely dangerous for people swimming close to shore or lying on the beach and should also be banned

as I also mentioned my thought is that a huge investment has been made which turned out to not be profitable and the only way whoever made that investment can cover their costs and profit is thru this scam so its not likely to go away, whoever had the spare cash is also no doubt a powerful figure in Pattaya

Edited by XAMPI

just got back from my walk along the coconut bar aka beach road.

big one going down right now 17 30 hrs opposite KFC royal garden plaza which is of course next to mcdonald's.

5 ski job with south koreans involved this time. no obvious damage but with multiple targets it's not going to end up cheap

just got back from my walk along the coconut bar aka beach road.

big one going down right now 17 30 hrs opposite KFC royal garden plaza which is of course next to mcdonald's.

5 ski job with south koreans involved this time. no obvious damage but with multiple targets it's not going to end up cheap

Here is a photo of this scam.

post-72597-0-88505000-1327149728_thumb.j

TRIP ADVISOR REPORT:

Hey Guys,

Just a bit of advice in regards to renting Jet Skies in Pattaya. Im just back from my first time in Thailand, and over all i loved it! However while we spent some days in Pattaya we had a really bad experience.

Myself and my two friends ( all Male in our early 20's) were approached by a man while walking down the beach asking if we wanted to rent jet Skies, he was friendly enough and we arranged a price of 400THB each for 30 min. We were asked to sign a piece of paper which asked for our Hotel name and room number (we didn't give these details of course, and sign fake names) they were very friendly and polite.

When we arrived back after 30 min. there wasnt just the two men and women there but about 10 of the roughest looking men you have ever seen, screaming at us, saying we broke two of the jet skies. They had Tattoos all over there necks arms and faces, one of them actually had a stab wound on his face that kept bleeding. They demanded 77,000THB and said they would call the police, i said i was more than happy for the police to come and sort it out. When i said this they went crazy and tried to fight us, taking out knives etc!!!! Then a non Thai came over and "tried to help" cause he could speak Thai, he was completely in on the whole thing!! We tried to leave and were blocked off, so it was either pay or fight completely out numbered. We insisted we did not have the kind of money over and over and the price after one hour went from 77,000 to 2,0000 THB, which we regretfully paid!

When we walked away a police man was right beside the beach, i ran over to him, and before i opened my mouth he put up his hand and said not my problem!!!!!!

On our travels we heard so many stories of people saying the same thing over and over. This incident really put a downer on things for a few days, and one of my friends was so shoock up about it we did not leave the hotel complex for a week! This happened right in front of the main shopping centre along the beach.

about 16 00 today saw at least 1 scam opposite the nautical inn near mike shopping mall. i think 3 indians were also being done but i kept on the move there are a lot of people watching the crowds there and not much tree cover.

as i passed the stepped area there 4 italians were going out at just the wrong time of day (400 bht /half hour, which is cheap till you come back ) and the fooball shirt brigade (all liverpool fc today )near the blue lagoon sign were desperately trying to get 3 more indians out on the water . both groups are bread and butter to these guys so their fate is unknown but i fear the worst

Today opposite Mike’s Shopping mall a big fight broke out at around 5:30pm. A group of Middle Easterners (Nationality unknown) had rented jet skis and before the police could arrive the one of the owners (wearing the long sleeve grey shirt) kicked one of them in the stomach, then several of the jet ski staff jumped in fighting the other renters. After the brief scuffle one of the renters had a big gash on his head with heavy bleeding. I believe he was hit in the head with a motorcycle battery as I saw one of them leaving the scene with it in his hand.

The jet ski owner originally claimed one of renters put a scratch on the front right of the jet ski, but from my vantage point I could see no scratch The outcome and the condition the renters is unknown as I left quickly after that.

The renter in the photo with brown shorts, no shirt and tattoo on his arm was very aggressive, he broke a beer bottle on the ground and then started threatening one of the renters and then to a bystander who told him he should no scam tourist every day like this.

The video is a big shaky.

post-72597-0-89970200-1327236092_thumb.j

Edited by marinediscoking

Today opposite Mike’s Shopping mall a big fight broke out at around 5:30pm. A group of Middle Easterners (Nationality unknown) had rented jet skis and before the police could arrive the one of the owners (wearing the long sleeve grey shirt) kicked one of them in the stomach, then several of the jet ski staff jumped in fighting the other renters. After the brief scuffle one of the renters had a big gash on his head with heavy bleeding. I believe he was hit in the head with a motorcycle battery as I saw one of them leaving the scene with it in his hand.

The jet ski owner originally claimed one of renters put a scratch on the front right of the jet ski, but from my vantage point I could see no scratch The outcome and the condition the renters is unknown as I left quickly after that.

The renter in the photo with brown shorts, no shirt and tattoo on his arm was very aggressive, he broke a beer bottle on the ground and then started threatening one of the renters and then to a bystander who told him he should no scam tourist every day like this.

Happened during an earthquake?

Welcome to Pattaya, have a nice stay. rolleyes.gif