Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

There must be someone seriously high up looking after these guys for it to go on so long. It is a shame really, as most other problems seem to get sorted one way or the other.

That is a given. Everyone knows it but we're not allowed to talk about it here.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There must be someone seriously high up looking after these guys for it to go on so long. It is a shame really, as most other problems seem to get sorted one way or the other.

I've been coming to Pattaya about 20 years or so now and one of my favourite things to do is walk the length of the beach from Thai airways office at the North to the last tree before the old pier on the south and back again. I have never encountered a problem until last year.

Around July 2011 I was on one of my walks and I noticed a Thai man on the footpath having a go at a lone man, looked Russian but I can not be sure. It was on the footpath just near that 5 star bar. I thought, sh!t that bloke must have done something wrong. I was beach side leaning on a coconut tree watching it all. I was not thinking about the jet ski scam. Many minutes passed and now there were a lot of farangs watching and more Thai men near the Russian fellow. I thought again, just pay the blokes for whatever you did and move on. Then out of the blue this female farang pops up and gets on her mobile phone and calls someone. I had no idea what was going down. By this stage the Russian was knocked down once or twice and he was back up on his feet. Shortly after the female farang made the call a Thai man on a motorcycle turns up and the Russian gets on the back of it and he get whisked away. Not knowing what or why it all happened I shrugged my shoulders and proceeded to continue on my walk, That is when a big Thai man with a balaclava on his head said "why you do like this" he meant shrug shoulders. I knew I would be in big trouble if I said the wrong thing so I said "I don't know anything, not see" and I turned and went on my walk. I felt threatened and hoped I wasn't attacked from behind and I wasn't.

Just to be on the safe side I avoided beach road walks for a few days, just in case. However when I went back there on my daily walks it was as if nothing happened. I was ok but in 20 years I never had that scary feeling. I did in the end work it all out, it was definitely the jet ski scam boys opposite Mikes as I recognise some of the people in the photos posted earlier. Beware, stay very far away from them even if you are not involved.

This is the crew that works opposite Mike's shopping mall. I have noticed they have been taking photos of people walking by at random. It is indeed getting dangerous for tourists walking on the foot path in that area.

Attached is a photo of who I believe is the big boss of the jetski's opposite Mike's shopping mall. The woman in the long purple shirt and hat. Next to her is her number 2 the female wearing the white t-shirt who normally runs the business at that spot and gives the orders. I was surprised to see her as she rarely makes an appearance but it was clear she is the top dog. I only mention this because this group are the worst offenders in Pattaya with the scamming.

The other two are russian's who were scammed today. It ended after about an hour with the number 2 female pushing the russians trying to get them to hit her back so her thugs could jump in but that did not happen they retained themselves, but they were physically assaulted. They eventually refused to pay or fight so they all walked in the direction of the police station. The owner kept her distance away from the group, seems she knows people are reporting and watching what they are up to.

In the middle the event an elderly English man passing by and tried to talk to the Russians, he was immediately surrounded, screamed at and almost pushed to the ground.

Edited by Rimmer
Photograph removed due to Libel Laws

hot one yesterday but few people about and having at first drawn a blank i was quite late on my return walk delayed of all things by 2 beers in soi 6.

but as the light was fading i saw the tell tale sign of a large group by the shore opposite the newish LK Empress hotel. got a long range shot off in the gloom and the camera set the flash off, nearly gave me a heart attack. Looked like middle eastern victims.

slightly further down opposite burger king another one, every deckchair having been put away apart from 1 group of victims and jet ski guys

Hi , I believe that something will eventually happen to lance the jetski 'boil' until then I believe that the problem should be highlighted through social media networks copy and paste this to all facebook pages and twitter feeds...

although thailand is a great place for a holiday I would like to warn all my facebook friends of ongoing jetski mafia skams in popular tourist destinations particlarly pattaya and phuket , just read this ongoing thread on the thai visa forums for further info..if you go to thailand DO NOT RENT A JETSKI !!!

http://www.thaivisa....n-will-it-stop/

thats just my two cents now as far as I am concerned my facebook friends are warned!! I suggest we spam the facebook pages of pattaya officials and tat....

Edited by miksguevara

today a 3 hour drinking session put me late onto beach rd at 17 30. 3 or 4 indians in trouble opposite the five star beer bar near the nautical inn/ mike shopping mall. in deep debate (not the rules of kabadi ) and heavily outnumbered by ski guys.

as i reached the new best friend bar sign where the footie brigade hang out another group of indians got tackled as they returned to shore.

i got off a few pics from about 100 mtrs down the beach and even at that range i could hear the shouting from the extra from the water margin unusually straight into the argument. guess it was now 17 50 and no time to mess about

Attached is a photo of who I believe is the big boss of the jetski's opposite Mike's shopping mall. The woman in the long purple shirt and hat. Next to her is her number 2 the female wearing the white t-shirt who normally runs the business at that spot and gives the orders. I was surprised to see her as she rarely makes an appearance but it was clear she is the top dog. I only mention this because this group are the worst offenders in Pattaya with the scamming.

The other two are russian's who were scammed today. It ended after about an hour with the number 2 female pushing the russians trying to get them to hit her back so her thugs could jump in but that did not happen they retained themselves, but they were physically assaulted. They eventually refused to pay or fight so they all walked in the direction of the police station. The owner kept her distance away from the group, seems she knows people are reporting and watching what they are up to.

In the middle the event an elderly English man passing by and tried to talk to the Russians, he was immediately surrounded, screamed at and almost pushed to the ground.

Edited by Rimmer, 2012-03-16 09:34:36.

Photograph removed due to Libel

Seeing how TV will not allow photos of these people to be posted here, how about posting them to Flickr or some other online media sharing site and post the link here.

Edited by KeyserSoze01

The jet ski scam just shows what is going on in the whole society. This case is just kind of abnormal, because it is done in the very public, viewable for thousands of tourists, well known by the whole diplomatic chore and openly discussed in media- and still, it is going on.

So to what conclusion you should come, what is going on in the shadow, in the not so openly visible parts of the Thai society ? Do the laws be equal for all Thais ? Is there a a real police force in Thailand like in some other western countries or is it just the major criminal organisation?

Do the politicians work for the majority of the people or just for the most influential and most powerful (criminals) ? The jet ski scam is just the very ugly top of the iceberg... It is a very clear lesson for all of us not to forget, what we all (!) have to expect from this system.

I think, for the Thai people, the jet ski scam is not that exciting cause they all know how things are working in their country.

I am sure they do.

Thailand is way up there in the list of rogue states,at the UN and other institutions,money laundering,unchecked criminality,even the editor and sponsor of this site The Nation newspaper went on record (BBC) to accuse his fellow countrymen of being 50 years behind adjoining countries because of the lack of colonisation

Whether yes or no it is an affront to common decency to allow this to happen,but then there are many potential "happenings" that could happen and nobody would be apprehended

Getting an E petition together would help,could be presented to one and all,would embarrass the Thai govt if it was publicly presented to say the Thai embassy in various countries ,heads of state,even the govt here by ambassadors

Attached is a photo of who I believe is the big boss of the jetski's opposite Mike's shopping mall.

PLease upload the photo to flickr or something so we can see this very important picture.

Or you can post it on the facebook wall to the Pattaya mayor.....

Edited by balo

Today in front of 4 RT Police at Central Festival area of the beach around 3:30 -5 pm I saw 3 Chinese guys totally banged up by at least 10 jet ski mafia scum.<br />They rented 3 jet skis.<br />They were told 2 are ok but 1 you crash...so you all 3 pay. They argued and got threatened...the police ignored the situation.<br />The poor tourists ended up paying 50,000 baht and were let go from being held hostage. All the while 4 BIB laughed.<br />All Thai people with clout should make rhis stop.<br />I hope 2 billion Chinese email to the workd. Stay away from a country that robs tourists.<br />Todays robbery was in broad daylight.<br />March 20,2012<br />Alarming Thailand!<br /><br />Posted with Thaivisa App <a href='http://apps.thaivisa.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://apps.thaivisa.com</a>

Sorry my typos...on a mobile phone.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

Took a walk on beach sidewalk today about 130P.

Just to take in sights and try to see what scams if any were going on. I did expect to see the jet ski scam but all was quite.

1. At soi 5 a scene developed between a falang female 40 yr old and a young Thai man. Thai appeared drunk and Thais were pushing him back and later the female attacked the Thai man. I thought this could be a scam by provoking the female into a fight. The jet skis all were sitting idle.

2. Then the next "swim only area" but on the sidewalk as I was walking by a mid aged Thai female sitting on the bench seats. She had a fold out display of falang passport type photos of FALANGS. She was reviewing the whole lot. Maybe fifty photos.

You might say this is off topic but maybe not. As the scams and protecting those scams may be changing. Just me and my over causous mind.

LLL

i keep on the move these days and avoid hanging about and my "hansum man" disguise works very well.

it's all hit and miss yesterday 7 indians went out at 18 35 (light was very poor) from the footie mob opposite the best friend sign. if they got back and off the beach without incident my bums a biscuit. but it was going to be too late and too dark for a pic so i left them to it.

today about 17.00 same place end negotiations going on with 3 indians and who was handling the deal? yes the old sikh guy.

by the time i came back another 4 indians were being collared for extra time, they were offering 200 and the ski guys were looking for 1,500

I would think by now tourism in Thailand would be dropping due to this scam. You'd think people would do some investigating before traveling half way around the world to visit a country like this(!) Surely they must have brains. I mean, I read up all about Thailand before I came here. There were no surprises.

Interesting how this small operation gets ignored by city hall-even with all the evidence. Makes one realize how the big guys/ mofia in Pattaya are also getting their way on things. One has to accept that this city is corrupt and not really into International standards of justice and good values.

Interesting how this small operation gets ignored by city hall-even with all the evidence. Makes one realize how the big guys/ mofia in Pattaya are also getting their way on things. One has to accept that this city is corrupt and not really into International standards of justice and good values.

Pattaya is a corrupt city . If you choose to live there , I guess my only answer will be to ignore it . And dont get involved.

A lot of high ranked officials are probably getting enough money to live a good life style.

Edited by balo

I would think by now tourism in Thailand would be dropping due to this scam. You'd think people would do some investigating before traveling half way around the world to visit a country like this(!) Surely they must have brains. I mean, I read up all about Thailand before I came here. There were no surprises.

Yes a dreadful scam and situation as a whole but, how many people who go on holiday actually rent jet skis? It doesn't really have a huge impact on tourism as a whole. If I read a warning about the scam before coming I would just avoid renting a jet ski whilst here not change my holiday destination. Corruption is rife throughout the world from Governments downwards, you are getting ripped off every day of your life, a heads-up on a particular scam is welcome but hardly a reason not to visit Thailand.

Yes a dreadful scam and situation as a whole but, how many people who go on holiday actually rent jet skis? It doesn't really have a huge impact on tourism as a whole. If I read a warning about the scam before coming I would just avoid renting a jet ski whilst here not change my holiday destination. Corruption is rife throughout the world from Governments downwards, you are getting ripped off every day of your life, a heads-up on a particular scam is welcome but hardly a reason not to visit Thailand.

It does show how dreadful the Thai police are and visitors can decide if they want to take their chances in a destination with no rule of law.

• 3 weeks later...

With all the rumpus about this continuing and with some attempts to arrest some of them a few months ago and with the amount of people who log onto this site surely there's someone who knows someone in city hall who could give some info on what their plans are for this drama ???

With all the rumpus about this continuing and with some attempts to arrest some of them a few months ago and with the amount of people who log onto this site surely there's someone who knows someone in city hall who could give some info on what their plans are for this drama ???

I am sure the plan is to carry on milking it for as much as they can get for as long as they can.

BTW the arrests were just an unfortunate incident due to some thugs over stepping the mark in the lobby of a five star hotel, forcing the police to take some action and in no way shows any change in the state of play. They have been told to keep their intimidation and threats of violence just as far as the car park in the future.

Right . And the Indians ,Arabs and all the other Asian nationalities have internet discussion forums also.

Does it seem like there are fewer people renting jet skies now ?

Actually if you really want to put an end to this jet ski crap: Start promoting jet ski rides in all the Russian media :

On T.V. and in the free newspapers all over Pratamak and Naklua.

I am sure the plan is to carry on milking it for as much as they can get for as long as they can.

they have to, it was set up to run that way, its not profitable as a normal business and a lot of money would be owed if they were forced to stop

Yesterday, Thai New Years Day: 2 Indian lads being scammed by a rough-looking bunch on the beach opposite the 5-Star bar.

Two things occurred to me: why does anyone coming here for a holiday still rent these things ? and a fitting Happy New Year from our friendly beach 'hosts'.

Right . And the Indians ,Arabs and all the other Asian nationalities have internet discussion forums also.

Does it seem like there are fewer people renting jet skies now ?

Actually if you really want to put an end to this jet ski crap: Start promoting jet ski rides in all the Russian media :

On T.V. and in the free newspapers all over Pratamak and Naklua.

And watch those stations being closed down straight away.Stop dreaming

A report in the Bangalore Mirror today :

Police are ‘hand-in-glove’ with the mafia

The beaches at these Thai resorts hide a dark secret — a goon-powered jet ski racket which intimidates and rips off foreign vacationers. A Bangalorean narrates his recent ordeal

Thailand has become a destination of choice for Indian vacationers in recent years, not least because a typical package, all found, is even cheaper than a similar one within the country. So much so that around 9.1 lakh Indians — a large chunk of them Bangaloreans — visited Thailand last year.

But the Eden of their dreams has a dark underbelly which reveals itself on the beaches of Phuket and Pattaya — a local mafia-run jet ski scam which has ripped off scores of foreign tourists.

Full Story:http://www.bangaloremirror.com/article/1/2012042120120421012208375a5ad0783/%E2%80%98Jet-ski-at-your-own-peril-in-Phuket-and-Pattaya%E2%80%99.html

--BANGALORE MIRROR 2012-04-21

Edited by Rimmer
Link fixed and text edited to fair use

26 years coming to Thailand, and 13 years residing here, and I slowly feel affinity with Thais. That's an added reason why the continuing jet ski extortions sadden me, particularly because the cops and authorities are helpless/scared to act. It's not too small a problem for PM Yingluck to be aware of. It's the #1 drawback for tourism, and tourism industry (and resident ex-pats) is arguably the #1 garnerer of outside money for Thailand.

What will it take for authorities to do the right thing - a few stabbed tourists? Blood on the sand is inevitable. Despicable situation currently on the beaches of Pattaya and Phuket. It's a toxic black blot on Thailand's image. All Thai authorities should hang their heads in shame.

• Like 1

Good to see it getting Indian press.

Shameful this has to give Thailand such an international black eye. Thailand gets up in arms over three topless girls on Songkran and says it is ruining Thailand's image, but does nothing about real issues that really are ruining its imagine.

26 years coming to Thailand, and 13 years residing here, and I slowly feel affinity with Thais. That's an added reason why the continuing jet ski extortions sadden me, particularly because the cops and authorities are helpless/scared to act. It's not too small a problem for PM Yingluck to be aware of. It's the #1 drawback for tourism, and tourism industry (and resident ex-pats) is arguably the #1 garnerer of outside money for Thailand.

What will it take for authorities to do the right thing - a few stabbed tourists? Blood on the sand is inevitable. Despicable situation currently on the beaches of Pattaya and Phuket. It's a toxic black blot on Thailand's image. All Thai authorities should hang their heads in shame.

I hope she will take some action. I did not see them scamming during the taksin years.

From what I can see the indians now are the ones that seem to be their favorite target now. I often see the scammers get a slap or punch or two in to let them know whats coming if they don't pay up. I have never seen them physically try to defend themselves even when they out number the thais. I am not trying to put the indians down it is just an observation.