Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

08/12/2011

Fixed Compensation Guide for Water Sport Operators

A meeting took place at Pattaya City Hall on Wednesday afternoon to address the new policy to be enforced on Jet Ski and water sport operators in Pattaya and Jomtien. Deputy Mayor Ronnakit Aegasing chaired the discussion along with all relevant authorities. They addressed a number of complaints made by tourists against operators, especially when an accident occurs, when tourists believed they were being ripped off by being overcharged for compensation. A Committee will be set up to oversee these operators. Under the control of City Hall a fixed compensation guide will be created, and the Committee will be responsible for negotiating and agreeing on compensation between tourists and operators.

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?Folder=16&IdArticle=29153

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

08/12/2011

Fixed Compensation Guide for Water Sport Operators

A meeting took place at Pattaya City Hall on Wednesday afternoon to address the new policy to be enforced on Jet Ski and water sport operators in Pattaya and Jomtien. Deputy Mayor Ronnakit Aegasing chaired the discussion along with all relevant authorities. They addressed a number of complaints made by tourists against operators, especially when an accident occurs, when tourists believed they were being ripped off by being overcharged for compensation. A Committee will be set up to oversee these operators. Under the control of City Hall a fixed compensation guide will be created, and the Committee will be responsible for negotiating and agreeing on compensation between tourists and operators.

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?Folder=16&IdArticle=29153

This is becoming shockingly and disgustingly violent and abusive. If the Thai authorities are eithet turninga blind eye or in collusion then all embassies should be sent details of this particuliar case and general warnings should be issued to tourists intending to visit Thailand. I hjadn't realised until reading this case how brazenly violent the gangs have become. And if these gangs can get away with literally dragging people by the thrtoat, through the streets, to their hotels and virtually turturing them to get huge sums of money then what else can now happen in what is repaildy becoming a lawless and degenerate state?

Enough is enough.

A gang of drugged out criminals, backed by corrupt police, control Pattaya Beach, are robbing and assaulting visitors every day.

For years, City Hall has been "working in it".

Last year, the Mayor was asked about it.

His reply? "It's complicated".

For what its worth, after reading of the Ukranians dragged by their throats to their hotels, I emailed the British consulate to say that attacks and robbery on all nationalities were going on unchecked in Pattaya and many other places and that they should be issuing much stronger warnings to potential visitors.

I am not sure though if I emailed to the best address or really where or who I really need to email. I would also like to send the same email to other embassies. Also, maybe email isn't the best form of comminication in this case?

I know this will probably have no impact and it has been done before, but I really felt disgusted by what I last read and want to atleast make some kind of effort.

Does anyone know who/where should be emailed in the embassies or anyone else?

For what its worth, after reading of the Ukranians dragged by their throats to their hotels, I emailed the British consulate to say that attacks and robbery on all nationalities were going on unchecked in Pattaya and many other places and that they should be issuing much stronger warnings to potential visitors.

I am not sure though if I emailed to the best address or really where or who I really need to email. I would also like to send the same email to other embassies. Also, maybe email isn't the best form of comminication in this case?

I know this will probably have no impact and it has been done before, but I really felt disgusted by what I last read and want to atleast make some kind of effort.

Do you have a link to this story please?

Do you have a link to this story please?

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?Folder=16&IdArticle=29160

This is getting pretty bad. Hostage taking, assault, robbery.....

I bet the police ask them to tone it down a bit.

I have also just emailed the Daily mail, but again, I don't really know who to contact there, or anywhere else.

Ideally foreign embassies and papers should be contacted. If anyone can, please do.

The mafia runs Pattaya. ToT, real estate developers, and major hotel chains would have tourists think otherwise.

Ever hear of the phrase 'you will know the tree by its fruit'?

If you mess with big money, you could end up dead. TIT(This is Thailand)

Always remember, with very few exceptions, if you are assaulted in Pattaya, no one will come to your aid.

Maybe the big money mafia are searching for hyku1147 at this very moment, so watch out, your days may be numbered.

I think these are a group of rag bag thugs for the most part, paying off enough police in high places to keep doing what they are doing. Its tolerated half because of paying off the right people and half because there is a wide spread xenophobia and racism anyway that thinks foreigners are sub-Thai, as hard as that may seem to believe.

If we want this to stop then we actually need to make the really big money take notice and that is done by making sure enough embassies and papers advertise this so broadly that tourists numbers take a hit. Then you will see a real crackdown. But as long as we cower in fear nothing will change.

The mafia runs Pattaya. ToT, real estate developers, and major hotel chains would have tourists think otherwise.

Ever hear of the phrase 'you will know the tree by its fruit'?

If you mess with big money, you could end up dead. TIT(This is Thailand)

Always remember, with very few exceptions, if you are assaulted in Pattaya, no one will come to your aid.

Maybe the big money mafia are searching for hyku1147 at this very moment, so watch out, your days may be numbered.

I think these are a group of rag bag thugs for the most part, paying off enough police in high places to keep doing what they are doing. Its tolerated half because of paying off the right people and half because there is a wide spread xenophobia and racism anyway that thinks foreigners are sub-Thai, as hard as that may seem to believe.

If we want this to stop then we actually need to make the really big money take notice and that is done by making sure enough embassies and papers advertise this so broadly that tourists numbers take a hit. Then you will see a real crackdown. But as long as we cower in fear nothing will change.

I agree. It's racism. Police have giving the criminal an OK.

Hundreds of beach workers and government officials know what's going on. They think it's OK too.

The Police/Thais would be more concerned if someone took a bone from a street dog.

• Like 1

I find the news that the city hall will officially begin handling the details of compensation business quite strange.

In my mind the only possible successful solution will be based on insurance so that there is not even theoretical possiblity for tourist to have to compensate any big repairs to the jetski. If there is no such possibility, then there is also no need for any negotiating of compensations nor a committee about it.To my surprise there was not any mention about the word insurance in the posted article about the city hall meeting.

It the goverment takes in any way any part in handling any day to day operation of this business, it creates opportunities for possible corruption and also discourages any honest policemen to take action against any crimes that they observe as it is now city hall that is now responsible of running the business.

Government booths to sell tickets to the rentals and any government meddling in compensations where government would need to somehow be responsible of the process of observing the damages to private property and quickly passing guilt to some tourist to be the defined responsible person having caused the damage based on extremely dubious hearsay evidence. These are totally unsuitable to some executive branch bureucrat to handle properly for millions of reasons.

Insurance and policemen with a small set of simple rules and laws to enforce. These together are the only possibility to a solution. I just have to wonder why nothing like this is never mentioned in any goverment meetings about this issue.

The Pattaya Future Facebook page has many complaints from foreigners going back almost 1 year including witness reports of Russians being attacked with bottles etc etc.

All of these warnings seem to be ignored.

http://www.facebook.com/PattayaFuture

Other government officials plus Tourism Authority Of Thailand have facebook also maybe people should complain on there including a few links this large criminal gang on Pattaya Beach is dangerous and will stop at nothing including pulling knives on tourists.

Here is the Indian Embassy Address

[email protected]

Pattaya Jet Ski Operators detain tourists

"Jet ski Pattaya" caused damage to the good image of Pattaya, beating and detaining Ukraine tourists and demanding 100,000 Baht for the damage which was much expensive than the actual cost.

Pattaya, December 8, 2011[PDN]; At 7.00 p.m.Pattaya police, Chonburi province together with tourist police from 4 control division 2, rushed to investigate in front of the Welcome hotel, 2nd Pattaya road, south Pattaya after having been notified by the Ukrainian tourists that they had been beaten and detained by jet ski rental operatives and demanded a sum that was more expensive than the real cost.

continued

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2011/12/11/pattaya-jet-ski-operators-detain-tourists/

The profitability of the scams and the kickbacks to officials are so valuable that nothing will be done about this until corruption is eliminated from Pattaya's police and city administration... that is to say not within the life time of anyone reading this thread.

In a town where individual club owners routinely pay off the police and immigration officials 100,000 per month corruption is so deeply rooted that high ranking police officials pay millions of Baht to get a posting there.

In a perfect world the protests of tourists and their embassy officials would acted on... But you can't see a perfect world from Pattaya with a high powered telescope on a clear day.

you are most welcome to my pics.

that was the first scam i stumbled across so i started taking some pics. the guy with no shirt is one of 3 norweigans.

after the deal was done and the folded had changed hands i spoke to them.

they paid 18,000 bht and were told that hull repairs in LOS were ILLEGAL and the whole thing had to be replaced and the craft would be out of action for days.

so next morning i got my legs out of bed early and starting at walking st went hunting. the original scam was near mikes shopping mall but i found the same ski about another 200 metres further north floating happily at anchor waiting for the next mark.

Office of Prevention and Suppression of Corruption in Government.

99/31 Moo 4, Software Park Chaengwattana Klong Pak Kret, Nonthaburi 11120 salt.

Tel. 02-502-8285-6.

e-mail: [email protected].

http://www.pacc.go.t...php?mod=contact

What will it take to stop these DAILY crimes?

a. A dead tourist?

b. A dead jet ski operator?

c. A UN Resolution?

d. All Embassies doing their jobs and warning their citizens?

e. All of the above?

f. Nonthing will ever be done in our lifetime...yada yada yada...

e is the best answer to Stop these thugs at the wallet!

Edited by IAMSOBAD

Why cant you take more pictures and report it . Maybe it will help , maybe not but at least you will have some evidence to show the Pattaya officials.

There are numerous reports of foreigners being attacked for photographing the scammers.

I guess that's why the Thais don't get involved and just watch it happen day after day, year after year....

THEY KNOW WHO IS IN CHARGE.

Edited by Rimmer

Go to Somalia, hang out in a refugee camp where babies die every day from starvation

Go to Pakistan where fathers shoot daughters who are suspected of kissing a boy before she's married.

Go to Pattaya or Phuket if you want to be scammed.

Why cant you take more pictures and report it . Maybe it will help , maybe not but at least you will have some evidence to show the Pattaya officials.

There are numerous reports of foreigners being attacked for photographing the scammers.

I guess that's why the Thais don't get involved and just watch it happen day after day, year after year....

THEY KNOW WHO IS IN CHARGE.

and that's why my shots were taken with a powerful lens 24 optical or with the 2 smaller ones 10 x and 18 x.

even with the first one i got scoped by 1 lot last january.

just come from the beach. live scam going down right now opposite the defunct blue lagoon gogo sign beach rd.

group of indians, i saw them being talked into renting and when i came back i could see there was a scam on.

how do i know for sure cos i got hold of 2 of them as they headed for their hotel (2nd rd between soi 4 and 5.)good luck to them getting back as beach rd shut due to fireworks.

how much is the demand???

a cool 45,000 bht

i told them this is pulled every day and to get the price down at all costs. how this pans out i will never know cos once i ask about the scam to somebody getting targeted i leave the area at once as a safety measure.

take them a while to get back if u want to go take a look

J-City, on the Mayors Facebook page, likes to bury the jet ski scam reports by posting dozens of photos.

I checked his profile and it looks like he is in the hotel business.

Hotel J

Is he burying the scam reports to hide the the fact that criimials have taken over the beach?

Edited by Rimmer
Public figure

In a perfect world the embassies and the internet warnings would stop this. But as I see it:

As long as there is a never ending supply of oblivious first time visitors to Pattaya in this world - There aint gonna be no end to this.

But that is a question , Is there a never ending supply of first time oblivious visitors ?

Well like I said on another forum: With the millions of Indians, Russian , East Europeons , Arabs, and next the Chinese.

I guess the answer is yes.

i once put a pic on here myself and it went but no problem that's what rules are for.

so i never bothered to post anymore but in the dead of night when the banjo strummers of this world are out shopping for nail clippers i am going to post a pic of an honest jet ski guy, you just have to find him on the beach and you will be ok. but he will be hard to find............

in the meantime i have to say scam activity is still going on but less than last year although it could be there are less people prepared to risk it