Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a report of a jet ski hitting a russian female tourist swimming today. The photo and description can be seen on Pattaya Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome's facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/PattayaFuture

Just went over there to check the page out. WOW. How he is flat out ignoring all of this is just beyond words. ignoring it looks really bad. He ignores every issue that is posted there be it a trash issue, scams, violence, child abuse, or anything else. Not sure what the purpose was of that page. Good you guys keep posting there. The more who see it the better.

Edited by Rimmer

There was a report of a jet ski hitting a russian female tourist swimming today. The photo and description can be seen on Pattaya Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome's facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/PattayaFuture

Just went over there to check the page out. WOW. How he is flat out ignoring all of this is just beyond words. ignoring it looks really bad. He ignores every issue that is posted there be it a trash issue, scams, violence, child abuse, or anything else. Not sure what the purpose was of that page. Good you guys keep posting there. The more who see it the better.

I keep wondering my self, maybe it is because we cannot vote or the original intent was for his purposes only as with all the photo ops he posts. Maybe the jet skies are beyond his power after he first tried to intervene. From the posts on it in thai, most are from people saying he is doing a good job and people saying the saw or talked to him at an event they were at, not much criticism about anything like us farang.

About 10 years ago I remember one of the biggest problems on Pattaya beach were the para-sailors, I think a few of them landed on tourists and the boats towing them were dangerous to swimmers. The powers that be moved them offshore to the platform docks where they are now.

About 5 years ago the chonburi governor took on the Jomtiean beach chair venders to conform to new rules. I took him months and said "Either they adhere to the rules or I will resign". That meaning he was going to do everything in his power to get it done and he did. I am not sure if he has a facebook page.

rain about 14.00 and again about 16 30 but it left time inbetween for 3 middle eastern looking guys to fall foul of some of the footie brigade about 16.00 right near the start of the beach opposite bay watch and beautiful optical. not sure of their nationality but as it was likely to cost them a bomb i'm gonna put them down as iranians

Makes one wonder if the city officials are connected with this scam. Why wouldn't they stop it if they wanted it to stop. This mafia jet ski group must be connected with the city some how. For 3 ++ years this scam has been going on in Pattaya with countless warnings on the travel forums; a couple BKK TV stations reporting it; the mayor and his camera crew visiting the sight scolding the jet ski operators... recently a complaint by a Thai in the Bangkok Post and the video clip on Youtube showing the scammers. What else does it take? Honest, caring people should just give up and spend their time worrying about something else.

Makes one wonder if the city officials are connected with this scam. Why wouldn't they stop it if they wanted it to stop. This mafia jet ski group must be connected with the city some how. For 3 ++ years this scam has been going on in Pattaya with countless warnings on the travel forums; a couple BKK TV stations reporting it; the mayor and his camera crew visiting the sight scolding the jet ski operators... recently a complaint by a Thai in the Bangkok Post and the video clip on Youtube showing the scammers. What else does it take? Honest, caring people should just give up and spend their time worrying about something else.

The most incredible part of it all to me is when violence is involved and the police do nothing about it. Forget about the scam for a moment because tourists are now being assaulted by this group, often with weapons, and nothing is being done about it. It's one thing to scam with impunity, but to have a license to brutally attack them is another story.

Pattaya is slitting its own throat on this. Not acting and allowing all of this information to hit the net, where it will stay FOREVER, will do more long term damage than they will ever expect.

Some influential body is obviously involved, however it is against forum rules to point fingers (wink)...on the other hand it could just be that the people with the power to put a stop to this do not realise that this scam is going on everyday, and if you look out of your window now then you will see a pink elephant flying over LoL

It's becoming clear that Indians and Middle Easterners are plum targets for the beach extortionists. It behooves their embassies and fellow citizens to inform them of the rip-offs. Obviously, local authorities are cahoots with the extortionists and/or are helpless to snuff it out.

didn't make it to the beach yesterday so took an early stroll today.

pretty sure 2 young sikh guys were targeted opposite the nautical inn near mikes shopping mall. they were sitting with a load of ski guys nearby while i think somebody was off getting funds. Too difficult to watch in safety so i moved on, case still open ?

but further down opposite svensons ice cream royal garden plaza 3 indians 100 % in ski bother. Time about 14 10 today.

pretty sure 2 young sikh guys were targeted opposite the nautical inn near mikes shopping mall. they were sitting with a load of ski guys nearby while i think somebody was off getting funds. Too difficult to watch in safety so i moved on, case still open ?

but further down opposite svensons ice cream royal garden plaza 3 indians 100 % in ski bother. Time about 14 10 today.

Yep the young sikh guys were being held hostage already when I got there about 1pm, some of the younger Thai guys were applying the pressure by being aggressive waving a big stick and hitting it against a tree and the nearby wall from time to time, also occasionally lurching towards them as if they where going to kick them. Then the friendly sikh mediator arrived and made a show of having a go at some of the Thais a little, trying to calm things down, what a nice friendly guy he is.

post-60867-0-84887300-1331460856_thumb.j

This is a picture from last year? Or was it the year before?

Anyways must have seen him involved 100's of times, anywhere from Mikes down to walking street.

Saw him once riding along 2nd road, not quite sure how I managed to avoid knocking the fuc_ker off his bike.

Edited by kevkev1888

Don't use them. if you and your friends come here on holidays and want to ride a Jet Ski, pool your money as some of my friends did and bought their own. They leave it at their friends home and amongst the lot of them it gets regular use every month. They bought a big sucker at Yamaha and quite often take it to Koh Chang as well. It's a way out, a suggestion.

Yep the young sikh guys were being held hostage already when I got there about 1pm, some of the younger Thai guys were applying the pressure by being aggressive waving a big stick and hitting it against a tree and the nearby wall from time to time, also occasionally lurching towards them as if they where going to kick them. Then the friendly sikh mediator arrived and made a show of having a go at some of the Thais a little, trying to calm things down, what a nice friendly guy he is.

Anyways must have seen him involved 100's of times, anywhere from Mikes down to walking street.

Saw him once riding along 2nd road, not quite sure how I managed to avoid knocking the fuc_ker off his bike.

oh that's him and my pic too come to think of it.

taken last year probably april i would have to check.

drives a white honda wave 125.

i knew that was a scam going down, but many thanks for confiming it.

BiB are too busy in Pattaya working on blackmail and extortion of skin care clinics. You know they only go where they make money and have zero risk.<br />Jet ski clowns are way to dangerous for the Keystone Kops.<br /><br />Posted with Thaivisa Mars Moon Rover HD Space Cadet Smartphone app.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

oh that's him and my pic too come to think of it.

taken last year probably april i would have to check.

drives a white honda wave 125.

i knew that was a scam going down, but many thanks for confiming it.

I saw him intervene on friday involving 2 indian's and 15K was paid, I was in ear-shoot of the negotiations. It was definitely the same person.

So its only Indians and Middle Eastern people renting jetskis these days `?

Thats a good sign ,all the warnings must have helped.

Mostly but last week I saw some European's and Chinese involved being scammed. At the moment it is a green light for the scammers to get away with as much as possible. I don't think I have seen it so bad as there are between 2 to 4 scams happening simultaneously at dusk daily. Maybe more of the "higher ups" are demanding in on it too.

yesterday during my stroll along the beach i thought i had found some sikh guys in bother (later proved correct).

today i knew 100 % that i had found another group of sikh guys in trouble.

this time opposite modern shopping city which is between the new LK Empress hotel and mikes shopping mall. I had clocked a big group of sikhs being shaddowed by young thai's. thai in a blue top had the signed jet rental agreement in his hot little hand and i was trying to find an angle to get a pic of the targets , him and the form, but there were just too many thai's scoping the area and it wasn't safe.

walked off for 10 mins and when i got back all attention was switched back to the water line as a huge group of thai and sikhs re-inspected the craft. With everyone now watching the beach i got off a couple of quick ones before a retreat to mike shopping steps and who do i have in the pics?

well who else but the sikh helper/negotiator who had ridden in to save the day on his trusty honda.

how he sleeps at night i don't know.

time about 16 15 today

Edited by striderman

yesterday during my stroll along the beach i thought i had found some sikh guys in bother (later proved correct).

this time opposite modern shopping city which is between the new LK Empress hotel and mikes shopping mall. I had clocked a big group of sikhs being shaddowed by young thai's. thai in a blue top had the signed jet rental agreement in his hot little hand and i was trying to find an angle to get a pic of the targets , him and the form, but there were just too many thai's scoping the area and it wasn't safe.

walked off for 10 mins and when i got back all attention was switched back to the water line as a huge group of thai and sikhs re-inspected the craft. With everyone now watching the beach i got off a couple of quick ones before a retreat to mike shopping steps and who do i have in the pics?

well who else but the sikh helper/negotiator who had ridden in to save the day on his trusty honda.

time about 16 15 today

I did speak to this guy once last year, for what it is worth he told me he is Thai and has a Thai passport. When I asked him why he was always involved whenever their was a problem with a jet ski he just said he is just helping out to interpret and help people communicate.

I did ask of course he did this out of the kindness of his heart? and always ensured a fair deal for the tourist? His reply I not decide the price only help talking.

Yea right! I have also seen him getting very aggressive and overheard him once telling a group of Indians on the back of a Baht Bus "I have friends same you yesterday have problem go police station now today they in monkey house"

He is up for reelection in May(?). Can you bet who his donors are???

time about 16 15 today

I did speak to this guy once last year, for what it is worth he told me he is Thai and has a Thai passport. When I asked him why he was always involved whenever their was a problem with a jet ski he just said he is just helping out to interpret and help people communicate.

I did ask of course he did this out of the kindness of his heart? and always ensured a fair deal for the tourist? His reply I not decide the price only help talking.

Yea right! I have also seen him getting very aggressive and overheard him once telling a group of Indians on the back of a Baht Bus "I have friends same you yesterday have problem go police station now today they in monkey house"

No opportunity to beat the shit out of him? or at least let the air out of the tyres on his bike.

Edited by Wallaby

time about 16 15 today

No opportunity to beat the shit out of him? or at least let the air out of the tyres on his bike.

Plenty, but as I said in my deleted post (I will try and tone it down). I live here and it's just not worth the risk, there are so many ways to very easily cause these guys big problems. I am very surprised that non of them have ever happened yet.

I guess the residents like me don't want to take the risk and the tourists just aren't that bothered, eventually though I am sure they will go up against someone who is really prepared to take action, I look forward to it.

Edited by kevkev1888
  • Like 1

Another jetski scam happened today about 6pm across from royal garden. Not sure what the nationality was as it was pretty dark, however there were a few of the pattaya municipal police sitting near by in uniform totally uninterested in getting involved.

Last night the in the same place they had a couple of young Lebanese looking guys. One of the jetski guys started started yelling and then took off his shirt, the Lebanese guy did not look scared and asked why did you take your shirt off? Things calmed down after that but I did not wait around for the outcome.

drew a blank yesterday on my walk but got 3 english guys in blue black and white T shirts get swamped when they arrived back at the beach opposite mike shopping mall / five star bar. watched them from distance and almost missed blue shirt going off to get funds. making sure he wasn't being tailed except by me caught up with him in soi 12.

he knew they were being conned but the other 2 were father and teen son so very vunerable to large numbers of ski troops.

now the demands, 47,000 bht claimed for scratch on 1 ski, 16,000 bht for the other.

todays rate for 1000 pounds would get you at a pattaya bank 47,650 bht, so even if they can get 50 % off the starting claim they are still looking at a bill of over £500. gulp, nice work if you can get it!

time about 16 45

at that point i left the area not safe to return after finding out the details

Edited by striderman

I live here and it's just not worth the risk, there are so many ways to very easily cause these guys big problems. I am very surprised that non of them have ever happened yet.

I guess the residents like me don't want to take the risk and the tourists just aren't that bothered, eventually though I am sure they will go up against someone who is really prepared to take action, I look forward to it.

That is what it boils down to. I'd love to see "stuff" happen to all of them, but no one who lives in Thailand is going to risk being deported or even arrested for the sake of tourists you don't even know.

It's an unfortunate situation but the best thing anyone can do is keep spreading the word via social media. Posting it on expat boards is a waste of time. People need to post on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Vemo and any other platform, including every travel forum and blog on earth. THAT is how you get eyes on it who may not otherwise know. Expat forums is a waste. Every expat except the mayor's falang friends know this is going on. Social media is powerful. Use it if you want to get the word out with no risk to yourself. And whoever is posting on the mayors facebook, keep it up. One post at a time. Let everyone know who goes there what is happening, as you are doing. And for the mods with quick delete fingers, I'm not rallying anyone, I'm explaining the power of social media and patting Facebookers on the back for a job well done.

He is up for reelection in May(?). Can you bet who his donors are???

Looking back at his original campaign promises from the first time, I don't believe he followed through on a single one. Looking forward to the next batch of promises.

I guess politicians are the same all over the world. :-)

drew a blank yesterday on my walk but got 3 english guys in blue black and white T shirts get swamped when they arrived back at the beach opposite mike shopping mall / five star bar. watched them from distance and almost missed blue shirt going off to get funds. making sure he wasn't being tailed except by me caught up with him in soi 12.

he knew they were being conned but the other 2 were father and teen son so very vunerable to large numbers of ski troops.

now the demands, 47,000 bht claimed for scratch on 1 ski, 16,000 bht for the other.

todays rate for 1000 pounds would get you at a pattaya bank 47,650 bht, so even if they can get 50 % off the starting claim they are still looking at a bill of over £500. gulp, nice work if you can get it!

time about 16 45

at that point i left the area not safe to return after finding out the details

I saw the pay off on this one, they had a women with them who really did not want to pay.

The counting took a long time 40K I think, watched them count it out twice.

There must be someone seriously high up looking after these guys for it to go on so long. It is a shame really, as most other problems seem to get sorted one way or the other.

I've been coming to Pattaya about 20 years or so now and one of my favourite things to do is walk the length of the beach from Thai airways office at the North to the last tree before the old pier on the south and back again. I have never encountered a problem until last year.

Around July 2011 I was on one of my walks and I noticed a Thai man on the footpath having a go at a lone man, looked Russian but I can not be sure. It was on the footpath just near that 5 star bar. I thought, sh!t that bloke must have done something wrong. I was beach side leaning on a coconut tree watching it all. I was not thinking about the jet ski scam. Many minutes passed and now there were a lot of farangs watching and more Thai men near the Russian fellow. I thought again, just pay the blokes for whatever you did and move on. Then out of the blue this female farang pops up and gets on her mobile phone and calls someone. I had no idea what was going down. By this stage the Russian was knocked down once or twice and he was back up on his feet. Shortly after the female farang made the call a Thai man on a motorcycle turns up and the Russian gets on the back of it and he get whisked away. Not knowing what or why it all happened I shrugged my shoulders and proceeded to continue on my walk, That is when a big Thai man with a balaclava on his head said "why you do like this" he meant shrug shoulders. I knew I would be in big trouble if I said the wrong thing so I said "I don't know anything, not see" and I turned and went on my walk. I felt threatened and hoped I wasn't attacked from behind and I wasn't.

Just to be on the safe side I avoided beach road walks for a few days, just in case. However when I went back there on my daily walks it was as if nothing happened. I was ok but in 20 years I never had that scary feeling. I did in the end work it all out, it was definitely the jet ski scam boys opposite Mikes as I recognise some of the people in the photos posted earlier. Beware, stay very far away from them even if you are not involved.