Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

The jet ski scam is still alive and well. Photos from a scam on some Indians across from Mike's shopping mall on Feb. 24th. as it just happened. After the renter disembarked while it was still in the water and then the owner took it back out and ran it into the beach at a high rate of speed. He then accusing them of damage to the under belly of the ski.

post-72597-0-22920400-1330539241_thumb.j

post-72597-0-64123900-1330539259_thumb.j

Edited by marinediscoking

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photos from another scam on Feb 27th again opposite Mike's again to Indian tourists. Notice the thugs surrounding them.

This happens about ten times a day on Pattaya beach.

That's 3,650 tourists scammed a year.

Estimated 300,000THB stolen from tourists per day,

= 109,500,000 THB. / year stolen from tourists.

I wonder why the police and Mayor don't do something..................

nice pics marinediscoking taken at no small risk to the photographer.

i am back on the manor soon , expect some updates to this thread

I try to hid my camera between my legs or hide it while taking photos and zoom in from quite a distance away. I don't just walk up and start snapping pic's. However if all else fails, I am still a fast runner.

Edited by marinediscoking

I try to hid my camera between my legs or hide it while taking photos and zoom in from quite a distance away. I don't just walk up and start snapping pic's. However if all else fails, I am still a fast runner.

It's common knowledge, a tourist can be assaulted for taking snapshots on Pattaya Beach.

Be careful.

Edited by pauljones

It's common knowledge, a tourist can be assaulted for taking snapshots on Pattaya Beach.

Be careful.

THAT is the amazing thing. Forget the scam. These guys don't even get into trouble when they physically assault tourists. They can gang jump someone and the police won't even file a report over it. That is how you know they work with impunity and for those in high places.

Photos from another scam on Feb 27th again opposite Mike's again to Indian tourists. Notice the thugs surrounding them.

Be sure to post those, one at a time, on the mayors facebook page. He's cronies will post one image at a time too in order to push them off. It's comedy.

Wouldn't it be easy enough to just snap a few photos of your own just befor you take to the water? Seems like that would stop them in their tracks.

It's what I always do when I rent a car, but I suspect with these guys you or your camera might wind up having an accident.

vote with your feet and don't use the jetski's

The jet ski people know that not all tourist are informed and they only need a few to extort large sums daily.

I think I saw a jet ski record today..... 4 scams happening at the same time 2 across from mike"s and 2 across from royal garden around 7pm. Yesterday I saw 3 happening around the same time.

Pattaya and Phuket need someone like Eliot Ness. He was an American officer with the Treasury Dept. during the times, in 1930's Chicago, when gangsters controlled the illegal liquor industry. Because Ness was a federal agent, he wasn't corrupt like the Chicago cops of that era. Added to that, Ness was tenacious, and with a few trusted accomplices, was able to bust the Al Capone and other crooks. Thailand needs an array of non-corruptable law enforcement personnel. Where to find them? Cambodia? Sweden? Fiji? The remaining Monkees?

Edited by Rimmer
quoted reply to removed post

Wouldn't it be easy enough to just snap a few photos of your own just befor you take to the water? Seems like that would stop them in their tracks.

It would be smart to snap some photos before you take off, but you'll likely anger the punks renting the jetskis. It's like when I went to Burma border town and took photos of the vendors selling endangered animal parts. They and the jetski renters aren't dummies and they're quick to anger at any hint of something that might get them in trouble or interfere with the easy money they get with extortions. BTW, 2 months after I published the Burma venders' photos online, the stalls were gone, though one has resurfaced a few years later. Before there were tiger and leopard skins hanging at many places. Now you don't see any. Maybe my efforts worked. Similarly, if resident farang in Pattaya and Phuket are really intent on wiping out the extortionist jet ski renters, - it can be done, but it won't be easy or painless. Are you up for doing it? I've got some suggestions on how it can be done.

Using Thai Visa to coordinate any kind of action against these people will get this topic closed and the person with the bright ideas will go on permanent posting holiday so I suggest you forget any and all all ideas about lobbying Thai Visa members before you even start.

See the following rule:

29) Not to lobby members.

well i'm back and have made 2 beach visits over 2 days without a result. maybe bad luck it's not going to stop on it's own and neither am i going to make it up just to provide some copy on the story.

a lot less people on the beach than january so the pool of potential customers / victims is less too

well i'm back and have made 2 beach visits over 2 days without a result. maybe bad luck it's not going to stop on it's own and neither am i going to make it up just to provide some copy on the story.

a lot less people on the beach than january so the pool of potential customers / victims is less too

I met a US Marine who said they were thoroughly briefed on jet-skis and other scams. Maybe the word is getting out there.

I met a US Marine who said they were thoroughly briefed on jet-skis and other scams. Maybe the word is getting out there.

The word is out if English is your first language. That's why it's mostly Russians, Arabs, Persians, and Indians being targeted.

What needs to happen is all of the info out there gets translated and passed around in the proper languages. Then everyone will have a chance if they do any research at all before they come.

The word is out if English is your first language. That's why it's mostly Russians, Arabs, Persians, and Indians being targeted.

What needs to happen is all of the info out there gets translated and passed around in the proper languages. Then everyone will have a chance if they do any research at all before they come.

Seems the ruskies are informed about this also now. I rarely see them renting as they use to in years past.

Seems the ruskies are informed about this also now. I rarely see them renting as they use to in years past.

Good.

Sooner or later the gig will be up. It won't be because of the police or mayor, but it will be because tourists will be smarter and the word will be out in all languages.

But then you need to fear what will come next. It already seems the same group is kidnapping people and doing so with the same blessings they have running the ski scam, so look out!

There where 2 Russians being scamed yesterday at the usual Mike shopping mall location around 5.30pm

seek and ye shall find. after a couple of fruitless sorties along pattaya beach over the last few days finally found one 16 20 opposite the car park entrance to royal garden plaza. Triple whammy 3 ski's 3 could have british falangs on the receiving end. retreated to the KFC terrace to take a couple of pics in safety.

The jet ski scam just shows what is going on in the whole society. This case is just kind of abnormal, because it is done in the very public, viewable for thousands of tourists, well known by the whole diplomatic chore and openly discussed in media- and still, it is going on.

So to what conclusion you should come, what is going on in the shadow, in the not so openly visible parts of the Thai society ? Do the laws be equal for all Thais ? Is there a a real police force in Thailand like in some other western countries or is it just the major criminal organisation?

Do the politicians work for the majority of the people or just for the most influential and most powerful (criminals) ? The jet ski scam is just the very ugly top of the iceberg... It is a very clear lesson for all of us not to forget, what we all (!) have to expect from this system.

I think, for the Thai people, the jet ski scam is not that exciting cause they all know how things are working in their country.

• Like 1