Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

cant believe those <deleted> at soi 11 can do this everyday without someone taking them out.. doing another as I walked past this evening

there's a video that can be found, guess I cant link here, of the soi 11 scam. very well done and exactly what they have been doing several times a day for years, including the threats of violence and the drongo policeman

Edited by wans

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jomtien is having its Championship Jet Ski competition now and all the rev heads are gearing up for it

Unfortunately, these suped up racing jet skies make a hell of a noise and these guys are racing up and down the beach water at stupid stupid speads. Amongst all this are swimmers. Incredible.

Wouldnt surprise me if this ends in tragedy as there doesnt seem to be any safety protocols - just a bunch of geared up rev heads.

plus last night in the dark they were weaving at high speed in and out of the squid boats fishing

i'm sure the locals were impressed.

maybe a pee pee test will prove positive to speed? :rolleyes:

Some people may like to read this thread very interesting

Fugitive politician's absence in court will cost daughter Bt15m

Anyone stupid enough to rent from these guys should be sterilized to ensure no weakening of the gene pool.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

http://www.thaivisa....daughter-bt15m/

Anyone stupid enough to rent from these guys should be sterilized to ensure no weakening of the gene pool.

In most cases it is not about being stupid, unless the victim rented a jet ski after being warned, then that is STUPID. The problem is that most tourists are not aware of the scam. Most tourists do not read this thread or Thaivisa. Their experiences in other countries did not "warn them" because they were not scammed in other countries. So they come to Thailand thinking it is like other places (or better) and there is no problem renting a jet ski or motorcycle (another scam). And, for some reason, the hotels are not warning tourists and the city is not warning tourists. Hotels should have warnings posted. The city should post warnings (but we all know why that is not happening). There will come a day when they will get what they deserve after scamming the wrong person. How many minutes in one hour? Are you there? Good story: mafia, police, political officials, guns, knives, tourists threatened and beaten and robbed, etc.

http://www.thaivisa....daughter-bt15m/

In most cases it is not about being stupid, unless the victim rented a jet ski after being warned, then that is STUPID. The problem is that most tourists are not aware of the scam. Most tourists do not read this thread or Thaivisa. Their experiences in other countries did not "warn them" because they were not scammed in other countries. So they come to Thailand thinking it is like other places (or better) and there is no problem renting a jet ski or motorcycle (another scam). And, for some reason, the hotels are not warning tourists and the city is not warning tourists. Hotels should have warnings posted. The city should post warnings (but we all know why that is not happening). There will come a day when they will get what they deserve after scamming the wrong person. How many minutes in one hour? Are you there? Good story: mafia, police, political officials, guns, knives, tourists threatened and beaten and robbed, etc.

I agree the Indians and Russians aren't big TV users and can't be faulted for not knowing about the scam through this one website. But I doubt their package caretakers are not warning them about it. I saw an Indian package tour being lectured about it at the Royal Garden earlier today.

Pre-YouTube your argument of the rubes falling for the scam not necessarily being stupid would have been more plausible. But this scam has replaced the Gem, Grand Palace, and Tuk Tuk scams as the most notorious and well known of Thailand scams. It is almost as pathetic as those that fall for the Nigerian eMail/letter scams.

This scam is like the nuclear arms race in that as the rubes' defenses improve, so does the scammers' offense. Last week I saw one of them across from Royal Garden photo-shopping pictures of the jetskis on this laptop. I wasn't close enough to tell for sure, but it was very possible he was adding damage to the skis with photoshop after the rubes were assured the skis were pristine for their rental.

easy solution ( not likely to happen though) is post signs on the beach warning and give a phone number for some agency that can deal with it that is not in on it.

I was just thinking that. Large signs in many languages to warn tourists. Even an info campaign within hotels.

It would make tourists feel someone is thinking of there welfare. Scams are very bad publicity for Thailand.

Today opposite Pattaya Walk near Royal garden a young child looked like labout than 2 years old fell of a jet ski it was close tithe shore and people swam out to help.

When the baby was bought to shore the thai mother was screaming at the lady jet ski vendor .

I never saw how they came off but the safety vest looked far to big and this could have easily ended in a drowning.

This is another reason that authorities are not doing their job and safery seems to be put to back as scams go on.

Another thing I noticed on many occasions is these jet skis roll over very easy a few months back a tourist was accusing the jet ski vendor in the exact location for not removing the exhaust drain plug and I heard them saying by leaving that plug in makes the exhaust water go inside the ski and it fills up inside and becomes unstable.

Personally I am not sure about if that is possible but I have certainly seen many jet skis capsize easy.

The scams are not stopping on the beach most groups that are hiring are still being scammed.

Edited by saintofsilence

Today opposite Pattaya Walk near Royal garden a young child looked like labout than 2 years old fell of a jet ski it was close tithe shore and people swam out to help.

When the baby was bought to shore the thai mother was screaming at the lady jet ski vendor .

I never saw how they came off but the safety vest looked far to big and this could have easily ended in a drowning.

This is another reason that authorities are not doing their job and safery seems to be put to back as scams go on.

Another thing I noticed on many occasions is these jet skis roll over very easy a few months back a tourist was accusing the jet ski vendor in the exact location for not removing the exhaust drain plug and I heard them saying by leaving that plug in makes the exhaust water go inside the ski and it fills up inside and becomes unstable.

Personally I am not sure about if that is possible but I have certainly seen many jet skis capsize easy.

The scams are not stopping on the beach most groups that are hiring are still being scammed.

I must be missing something here but how on earth did a 2 year old get on a jet ski in the first place??

There were two adults in the water also with vests I would say the mother and father it looked as if the had just hired and fell off or tipped it on take off.

As I say I was walking past just and heard shouts they were all in the water and some people were swimming to help.

It went on for about 10 minutes and the adults and child left the mother may have been going to the police she was not happy about something.

easy solution ( not likely to happen though) is post signs on the beach warning and give a phone number for some agency that can deal with it that is not in on it.

I was just thinking that. Large signs in many languages to warn tourists. Even an info campaign within hotels.

It would make tourists feel someone is thinking of there welfare. Scams are very bad publicity for Thailand.

Pattaya city hall promised signs almost a year ago and about a month aga at a tourism meeting they said that brochures were going to be handed out warning people of the scams.

Nothing has happened it looks like no authority is willing to tackle the crime gang running the beach and instead they choose to allow tourists to rent jet skis off these thugs and then have holidays ruined.

30 Sept 2011

Tourist Police Chief Warns Pattaya Tourist businesses Against Scamming Tourists

Local Tourist Police officers will start handing out pamphlets to tourists to warn them about scams and will step up monitoring tourist-centric businesses.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/tourist-police-chief-warns-pattaya-tourist-businesses-against-scamming-tourists-6571

Edited by saintofsilence

I would be surprised if this became reality and I like how the mayor urges buisiness owners to be honest.

Sound negative don't I?

It should come from the tour operators and hotels, especially as some of these police appear to be in on the scam.

I really can't believe its still being allowed to happen though, shocking.

I would be surprised if this became reality and I like how the mayor urges buisiness owners to be honest.

Sound negative don't I?

It should come from the tour operators and hotels, especially as some of these police appear to be in on the scam.

I really can't believe its still being allowed to happen though, shocking.

It happens I suspect because everyone that is in a position to do anything about it is also getting a slice of the pie!

theres really only one person doing it that I can see, the fat lady at soi 11 who latter on sells beer down the beach at night. she runs the whole thing with her gang of young thugs. she must be related to someone in the police

theres really only one person doing it that I can see, the fat lady at soi 11 who latter on sells beer down the beach at night. she runs the whole thing with her gang of young thugs. she must be related to someone in the police

Time you either became more observant or got those new glasses.

You're having a laugh or are naive beyond redemption if you think some fat Oprah runs the extortion.

You're having a laugh or are naive beyond redemption if you think some fat Oprah runs the extortion.

I agree with Wans she has a lot to do with it and it sounds like Wans knows a bit more .

There are three or four ladies involved one I think is blacklisted but turns up quite often.

A couple of weeks ago a big fat guy who works in the soi 11 lot punched an Indian in the face the old lady told him to get on his jet ski and go before the police came.

The is one big Thai guy that hangs out around Pattaya walk I am sure he is the ringleader and has the police contacts.

When the scams were totally out if control earlier in the year he would turn up late afternoon and give all the orders , I watched a group of 6 Japanese one day go out and within minutes he was getting the thugs ready for the scam.

Another day he said to a tourists dont you care about your life.

There is another guy I have named floral shorts he is one of the worst on the beach I think he has been blacklisted but still turns up everyday never stops drinking and usually always had atleast two or three victims a day.

The high season is here so must be a lucrative business for the scammers the next few weeks when hoards of tourists will visit Pattaya.

Warning signs would be a good idea, but I think the locals are too afraid to do anything . I'm sure the hotel and bar owners knows about this.

Edited by balo

I agree with Wans she has a lot to do with it and it sounds like Wans knows a bit more .

There are three or four ladies involved one I think is blacklisted but turns up quite often.

A couple of weeks ago a big fat guy who works in the soi 11 lot punched an Indian in the face the old lady told him to get on his jet ski and go before the police came.

The is one big Thai guy that hangs out around Pattaya walk I am sure he is the ringleader and has the police contacts.

When the scams were totally out if control earlier in the year he would turn up late afternoon and give all the orders , I watched a group of 6 Japanese one day go out and within minutes he was getting the thugs ready for the scam.

There is another guy I have named floral shorts he is one of the worst on the beach I think he has been blacklisted but still turns up everyday never stops drinking and usually always had atleast two or three victims a day.

Do you have any photo's of these guys?

Do you have any photo's of these guys?

I personally dont have many but thanks to stridermans collection i will have a look and grab some of his if any are there I will put them up in a couple of days.

Edited by saintofsilence

I wonder how far you could get on a jetski before they notice you are gone. Quite a long way I should think. I am not suggesting stealing them or anything, just a 30 min, one way, jetski ride to Sattahip or somewhere :whistling:

first day back in town and saw at 17 30 a group of six indians rent ski's from opposite the best friend bar complex and old blue lagoon sign. like a train crash i knew what would follow but you can't look away. sure enough when they got back at 18.00 hrs as dusk was setting in they got swamped by the thai's in a pirhanna like feeding frenzy. outcome unknown but expensive.

absolutely nothing has changed even the big russian was on the scene

Jet Ski Con Artists

On Thursday night, the Pattaya and the Tourist Police were called to deal with a case of abducting, assaulting and threatening Ukrainian tourists by local jet ski operators. A minor accident had happened with the jet skis, and the operators demanded that the tourists pay a huge amount of money for some small scrapes on the jet skis.

At the scene, 5 Ukranians 2 women and 3 men, and 2 jet ski operators met with the officers. The tourists stated that they rented 3 jet skis from Mr. Srayut Jemahd, aged 34 and Mr. Nattapum Pumnok, aged 25, in front of the Royal Garden Plaza, for 700 Baht each, and for half an hour of time.

As the parties could come to no agreement, Mr. Srayut choked one of the lady tourists, then dragged her and her 2 friends off to the hotel room to get the money.

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?Folder=16&IdArticle=29160

Edited by saintofsilence