Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

From my observation's they seem to be happy when making a scam lots of laughing and high 5s when scamming ,I recently I saw three indians about to get scammed and the scammers started accusing them BUT next thing it looked like one of the scammers made or received a call and the scam stopped.

In my opinion they are all controlled by the same people .

And also when they are running around offering 300 baht and 500 baht jet ski rides it looks very obvious someone in contact with the police department are giving them the ok.

These scammers are so desperate and if they get stopped for photo editing next you will notice people are getting crashed into by a scammer while out on the water i have seen that a few times and the scammer blames the tourist, or rubber strips falling off or engine departments being flooded from the exhaust water coming in

This is a very well organised gang with high connections and they are very friendly with the marine department which is seperate to the marine police who sit well away from the jet ski vendors when they are on the beach.

After watching these scams over the past twelve months in my opinion there is not one honest jet ski vendor on the beach and the highest amounts of incidents are from soi 9 down to the last vendor on walking st.

Until this very large criminal gang are taken off the beach it will not be safe I have personally seen to many assaults and have no doubt how dangerous they are.

When the Pattaya city council have a web site pattaya future and they refuse to comment or act on scam reports when they have all the evidence they need and choose to ignore it this is a big problem.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the police vigorously go after an "unlicensed" squid vendor on the beach but the police don't seem to notice the unlicensed jet ski mafia robbing tourists of hundreds of thousand of baht every day.

Amazing.

Like the Mayor said: "it's complicated"

You and your side kick "saintofwhatever" need to get a life....... it sounds like you have made this jet ski deal your life's crusade? Please please tell me you have something better to do with your time, if not then that's very very sad!

JH

I see the police vigorously go after an "unlicensed" squid vendor on the beach but the police don't seem to notice the unlicensed jet ski mafia robbing tourists of hundreds of thousand of baht every day.

Amazing.

You and your side kick "saintofwhatever" need to get a life....... it sounds like you have made this jet ski deal your life's crusade? Please please tell me you have something better to do with your time, if not then that's very very sad!

JH

what a life you've got eh, commenting and telling others what they should or should not do....

let's hope none of your friends or family ever fall victim to strong arm tactics innocent people have endured whilst on their hols :whistling:

Jebhead the regular posters on this thread know that short of a total ban ( which is never likely to happen ) the only way to reduce the scamming is by trying to warn people in advance. It is very annoying to watch it unfold on the beach but by then it is too late and too dangerous to interfere. As this is the biggest of the many Thai forums more people can be warned. This is not a couple of Lady Drinks added to a bar bill it is tens of thousands of baht.

Its all very well putting your comments on this forum, some people will read them, but if you really want to make a difference, go to Mayor Kunplome's Fb page and put them on there !

Its the farang who for the last year or so, have been keeping the pressure on, that are getting the changes done to the jet ski scammers !

What changes are you referring to, nothing has changed.

Edited by alstaxi

I check this forum regularly and I have already warned several people not to rent jetskis in Pattaya.

So please continue reporting what you see . If the Pattaya mayor cant do a thing about the scam the only right thing to do is to warn more people about it.

Amazing.

JH

It's you who needs to get a life.

I have also seen one person get attacked by a group of Jet Ski thugs, it spilled onto the street and into a mini mart across the road. This was in Jomtien.

Not nice

Some interesting Comments from Readers about The In Pattaya Now Article

Pattaya jet-ski scams continue unabated despite promises

Nov 10 2011

If Pattaya Council is really concerned about these scams,why don't they get warning notices in in the languages of the tourists and post them on ALL Hotel and guest house notice boards. Also the tourist authority of thailand could issue the same warnings. If they want these tourists to return they need to take some action. I am sure the Embassies of the tourists concerned would gladly provide translations of the warnings for their citizens. If jet ski operators are found to have scammed people their licences should be revoked and never renewed again. Who owns the jet skis ? anyone in a position of influence ?

Nov 11 2011

I often see a pick-up with about three jet-skis being towed behind come down my soi and the stencilled livery on the side of the pickup looks exactly like the logo for Pattaya City Hall. I leave you to think of the implications.

Nov 11 2011

nothing short of a total ban will bring this cash cow to a halt and that will not happen. there is simply too much money being made, enough to keep everybody happy except the innocent tourists. All the talk about registration it's all smoke and mirrors, if any scheme is dreamed up it will be ignored and things will continue with people being openly robbed of huge sums in broad daylight

http://inpattayanow.com/2011/11/10/inside-pattaya/pattaya-jet-ski-scams-continue-unabated-despite-promises/

Edited by saintofsilence

Some interesting Comments from Readers about The In Pattaya Now Article

Pattaya jet-ski scams continue unabated despite promises

Nov 10 2011

If Pattaya Council is really concerned about these scams,why don't they get warning notices in in the languages of the tourists and post them on ALL Hotel and guest house notice boards. Also the tourist authority of thailand could issue the same warnings. If they want these tourists to return they need to take some action. I am sure the Embassies of the tourists concerned would gladly provide translations of the warnings for their citizens. If jet ski operators are found to have scammed people their licences should be revoked and never renewed again. Who owns the jet skis ? anyone in a position of influence ?

Nov 11 2011

I often see a pick-up with about three jet-skis being towed behind come down my soi and the stencilled livery on the side of the pickup looks exactly like the logo for Pattaya City Hall. I leave you to think of the implications.

Nov 11 2011

nothing short of a total ban will bring this cash cow to a halt and that will not happen. there is simply too much money being made, enough to keep everybody happy except the innocent tourists. All the talk about registration it's all smoke and mirrors, if any scheme is dreamed up it will be ignored and things will continue with people being openly robbed of huge sums in broad daylight

http://inpattayanow....spite-promises/

Yawn......

JH

I saw a motorbike rental do the exact same scam on beach rd a few days back, maybe they are realizing how easy it is to do. I dont think the police can be expected to intervene, after all they openly sell yaba in the cells at soi 9 police station altho Im not sure if its allowed to be said here

best to treat Thailand as an experiment in anarchy, and in general it works ok

Yes. The motyorcycle shops are doing the same. Claiming damages that was already there.

Sometimes they steal the motorcycle from the renter (since they have spare keys and know the hotel address) and charge them for a new bike.

Of course the same bike is back in service soon. You can read the tourist reports all over the web.

A waitress friend that worked across the Soi 13/2 saw it happen all the time.

Notice how this shop is run on public property.

Who is he paying rent I wonder?...............................whistling.gif

Edited by pauljones

TRAVEL ADVISORY:

Motorcycles and Motorbikes Rental Scam

Scams – or controversies - involving motor bike rentals are similar to those involving water equipment.

It has even been claimed that some rental companies intentionally damage the bikes – or even have the bikes stolen from the users at night – in order to collect damage and replacement fees.

Unfortunately, there is no insurance for motorbike users, so they are responsible for all damages and replacement costs. If a person finds themselves in such a situation, the best they can do is to try to negotiate fees and costs that are somewhat reasonable.

Be aware of equipment rental shops that are illegally set up on the Soi. They pay the police or are even owned by the police.

Edited by pauljones

Let's keep it on topic, this is about jet ski scams, not motorbike scams....... perhaps we could start another saga about that tho?

JH

I just thought it was interesting that these scammers (jet ski & motorbike) are paying city officials for their scam turf.

NOBODY sets up shop on the beach or Soi without paying.

Amazing.

JH

Jebhead if you are just on this thread to try and make problems please go somewhere else your comments are not appreciated.

Edited by saintofsilence

Amazing.

JH

Jebhead if you are just on this thread to try and make problems please go somewhere else your comments are not appreciated.

Fully agree - if you're not interested then stop reading and stop posting deragatory comments. I, and an awful lot of readers judging by the page stats, find this thread interesting and the updates / background info useful.

Simon

Yes. The motyorcycle shops are doing the same. Claiming damages that was already there.

Sometimes they steal the motorcycle from the renter (since they have spare keys and know the hotel address) and charge them for a new bike.

Strange... when i came to Pattaya first, i used to always rents motorbikes and never experienced any problems ?? think there are enough people who actually damage the bikes so the owners don't have to make it up ;)

Amazing.

JH

I volunteer to kick the stool he is standing on out from underneath him :)

Another Assault today

this afternoon at approx 3.45 pm 2 men and 2 ladies (maybe russian were attacked by the group at soi 11, they had to run for their lives while the jet ski thugs were throwing bottles and rocks there were a least 100 onlookers some had. to avoid flying bottles. Don't take my word for it Mr Mayor look at you camera system these people are very dangerous and your department can't even supply warning to visitors.

http://www.facebook.com/PattayaFuture

There will be a death or very. Serious injury soon because the scammers a getting more and more violent because it looks like now they have total control of the beach .

This message should be taken seriously by any person reading and complaints should go to all embassies to issue warnings because no one who tents a jet ski in pattaya is safe.

Edited by saintofsilence

Another Assault today

this afternoon at approx 3.45 pm 2 men and 2 ladies (maybe russian were attacked by the group at soi 11, they had to run for their lives while the jet ski thugs were throwing bottles and rocks there were a least 100 onlookers some had. to avoid flying bottles. Don't take my word for it Mr Mayor look at you camera system these people are very dangerous and your department can't even supply warning to visitors.

http://www.facebook.com/PattayaFuture

saw the start of that, looked like those sweaty faced gangsters were getting worked up as they realized their drug money was not cooperating, they werent worried that there was a crowd watching

walked on up the beach only to see another op royal garden, not violent but not pleasant to have to witness either

I think the issue is, this isnt just a scam, this is gangs of young thai drug addicts openly robbing people in very public tourist areas, its going to get very out of hand and start affecting more then just jetski renters if its not stopped at some stage

No pics ??????

No pics required and it is noted that you have posted your suspicion about these events taking place, going back to page 1 of this thread.

I suggest that if you are a non-believer, instead of taking silly pot-shots on this thread, take yourself down to Patters and just sit on beach road anywhere between soi 6 and soi 13/3. You shouldn't have to wait long until you are a believer.

Just because YOU have not been scammed in the past does not mean it doesn't happen -and- that you won't be a victim in the future.

No pics required and it is noted that you have posted your suspicion about these events taking place, going back to page 1 of this thread.

I suggest that if you are a non-believer, instead of taking silly pot-shots on this thread, take yourself down to Patters and just sit on beach road anywhere between soi 6 and soi 13/3. You shouldn't have to wait long until you are a believer.

Just because YOU have not been scammed in the past does not mean it doesn't happen -and- that you won't be a victim in the future.

i normally go to the beach around soi 7 & 8, admittedly not too often,maybe 1-2 times a month but have never witnessed anything, actually made a point of looking out last time and only saw afew happy customers/ rentors :huh:

Anyway, i might make the effort and go down few times next week as i want to see how it works... any particular spot, preferably with toilets nearby as i normally drink loads whilst at the beach :jap: